2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6215Likes

post #4651 of 7523 Old 05-24-2020, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue83 View Post
Unless you get your set calibrated
This phrase keeps getting thrown around a lot. Those extra processing features do not compensate for an uncalibrated TV. The premise doesn’t even make sense: let’s take a TV that’s slightly off from accurate colour and brightness and turn on settings that will make it even more off from accurate colour and brightness and that will make things better.

So someone wanting a look as close to what was on the mastering monitor should turn all processing off (AKA filmmaker mode) regardless if their TV is calibrated or not. And they’re not that bad from factory anyways.

But as you said, some people don’t like that look. They should turn off filmmaker mode and turn on whatever settings make them enjoy the TV. They’re not going to like filmmaker mode even with a calibrated set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I don't see any raised blacks at all in any PM. HDR and DV look sharper and a little more depth but once it's available you will be able to see for yourself. In my opinion the HDR and DV PQ are better than my on my Sony when placed side by side. I haven't taken any measurements but i didn't see any visual shifts in the CMS.
This is great, but did you notice raised blacks before the test firmware?

I don't notice all the time, only in fade to black screens, prime example being Stranger Things on Netflix, (season 2 onwards) (netflix internal app)

Most episodes have a long fade to black screen at the end of each episode before the credits roll, this is not completely pitch black for me, and i know it should be because season 1 of stranger things is not in HDR and it is pitch black.

DV raised blacks is also mentioned in the FAQ on first page of this thread so I gather Im not the only one who has noticed this
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by gunner842; 05-25-2020 at 07:02 AM.
post #4653 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
Yes, when introducing a 1DLUT in HDR/DV. This also goes back to 2018 and possibly 2017's as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I'm confused by all this 1DLUT stuff, what about an uncalibrated (OTB) set, like mine which I notice raised blacks in some complete dark screens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4654 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 02:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6260 Post(s)
Liked: 9113
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Folks who don’t consider older movies are missing out on lots and lots of great storytelling and great actors. Some are restored but some are not but they’re still worth watching nonetheless.

Don’t get me wrong I love watching HDR content but if it’s crap I’m not watching it for the sake of Its video quality.
Excellent point and I agree. There are some real massive stinker movies, that also happen to be HDR "eye-candy". Yet some users on AVS slather over them for the eye-candy completely forgetting that they are stinkers! Even worse, sometimes they don't forget, they know, but they don't care! How can you call yourself a movie fan and not care, and be proud of having such poor taste! A movie being crap ruins my enjoyment far more than a lower PQ would.
dfa973, gunner842 and LiLAsN like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 05-25-2020 at 02:55 AM.
post #4655 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
DV raised blacks is also mentioned in the FAQ on first page of this thread so I gather Im not the only one who has noticed this
Of course, because we've had various problems with both raised blacks, and crushed blacks, across various forms of HDR, beit Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG, with these sets either with or without the LUTs for over two years now covering the 2018, 2019 and now 2020 models. .

That's why these things are in the FAQ, because they come up very Frequently! You only have to read the owner's threads for the 2018, 2019 and now this model, to see this. Any excitement at the news that it might be fixed, is just hasty and impulsive. I understand why people are excited, but try to keep the emotions out of it and think clearly.

TLDR: you need to remember ONE thing and ONE thing only: after two years we still have these problems on the 2018 models and LG doesn't seem to be interested in fixing them. Think about that before you make your purchase, not afterwards.
dfa973, gunner842 and LiLAsN like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 05-25-2020 at 02:59 AM.
post #4656 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm confused by all this 1DLUT stuff, what about an uncalibrated (OTB) set, like mine which I notice raised blacks in some complete dark screens.
You're using the factory LUTs, so is an additional problem to the problem with user-created LUTs. Some of the bugs only happen with user-created LUTs and how the TV doesn't load them properly during calibration.
Or, it's mastered with "raised blacks" (Director's intent, like the colour of black space in Star Wars), so it's completely correct. Many people are too quick to shout "raised black! bug!" when it's not. You wanted Director's intent, and sometimes that includes black not being black. If someone said you value director's intent but don't like this part of it, sorry but you're a hypocrite. [I don't mean you personally of course!]
Or, it's fault somewhere else.

It's a bit of a minefield. Buying an OLED means it should be possible to give you perfect black, but it doesn't mean you're entitled to see perfect black all of the time, and many people forget this
ataneruo, Sargon 1, dfa973 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 05-25-2020 at 03:35 AM.
post #4657 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
You're using the factory LUTs, so is an additional problem to the problem with user-created LUTs. Some of the bugs only happen with user-created LUTs and how the TV doesn't load them properly during calibration.
Or, it's mastered with "raised blacks" (Director's intent, like the colour of black space in Star Wars), so it's completely correct. Many people are too quick to shout "raised black! bug!" when it's not. You wanted Director's intent, and sometimes that includes black not being black. If you said you value director's intent but don't like this part of it, sorry but you're a hypocrite.
Or, it's fault somewhere else.

It's a bit of a minefield. Buying an OLED means it should be possible to give you perfect black, but it doesn't mean you're entitled to see perfect black all of the time, and many people forget this
Oh I completely agree, some content can cause confusion, like Nolans movies, a lot have intentional raised blacks, like intersteller, and Star Wars Rise of Skywalker the space is not completely black, and sometimes night sky in movies is not pitch black either, but I don't think Ive ever looked at night sky and thought to myself that should be pitch black.

Thats why I also use fade to black screens as a test, stranger things being a good test, that should be complete black and its not.

As you say I'm not holding my breath for a fix, as its been so long. I'm still hopeful though.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #4658 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Of course, because we've had various problems with both raised blacks, and crushed blacks, across various forms of HDR, beit Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG, with these sets either with or without the LUTs for over two years now covering the 2018, 2019 and now 2020 models. .

That's why these things are in the FAQ, because they come up very Frequently! You only have to read the owner's threads for the 2018, 2019 and now this model, to see this. Any excitement at the news that it might be fixed, is just hasty and impulsive. I understand why people are excited, but try to keep the emotions out of it and think clearly.

TLDR: you need to remember ONE thing and ONE thing only: after two years we still have these problems on the 2018 models and LG doesn't seem to be interested in fixing them. Think about that before you make your purchase, not afterwards.
Is SDR not affected by all of this?

If so, I'm good - being that I'm so-so about HDR/DV in the first place.

I really do see the dynamic range. My eyes even constrict a bit like in real life when someone opens a door from inside a house on a sunny day in the movie. Pretty cool.

But it isn't a look that I have ever seen in film before. To date, movie theaters, even those equipped with advanced tech, cannot replicate the dynamic range of what we have at home with these discs and sets.

Also having everything a bit darker to make room for the dynamic range is a "slight" constant reminder that "Dorthy's not in Kansas anymore."

I find myself trying to figure out why film purists like it so much and people here are "deciding" that if my settings were "correct", I'd like it.

Most movies aren't even shot in HDR. So how is adding this to movies such as 2001, bringing us closer to the director's intent?
Logically, it is only moving us away from it.

Yes, the sticker says, "brighter, deeper, and more life-like colors!" - right on the box. But NOT right in the original film.

So how exactly does all of this bring us closer to the look of film?

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-25-2020 at 03:50 AM.
post #4659 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
Is SDR not affected by all of this?

If so, I'm good - being that I'm so-so about HDR/DV in the first place.

I really do see the dynamic range. My eyes even constrict a bit like in real life when someone opens a door from inside a house on a sunny day in the movie. Pretty cool.

But it isn't a look that I have ever seen in film before. To date, movie theaters, even those equipped with advanced tech, cannot replicate the dynamic range of what we have at home with these discs and sets.

Also having everything a bit darker to make room for the dynamic range is a "slight" constant reminder that "Dorthy's not in Kansas anymore."

I find myself trying to figure out why film purists like it so much and people here are "deciding" that if my settings were "correct", I'd like it.

Most movies aren't even shot in HDR. So how is adding this to movies such as 2001, bringing us closer to the director's intent.
Logically, it is only moving us away from it.

So how exactly does an increase in the dynamic range bring us closer to the look of film?
I've checked 0% black test patterns and SDR is completely black.
post #4660 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 275
SIMPLY AWESOME!

Thanks!
post #4661 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Smile

Got the 55" CX. It is my first OLED. Most of my viewing is in pitch black (bedroom with no windows or light) and holy crap....all I can say compared to LCD. Love not having grey blacks and I no longer get headaches from watching for 2+ hours.

My only problems with it so far after 200 hours use is not being able to disable that horrid pointer (or is there?) when you move the remote and that the remote itself is a bit clunky.

I use PLEX a lot and it is very fast compared to my old Roku player. ALL the apps I used on my old Roku player load faster and are much more responsive on this TV (Prime, Netflix etc).

The TV this replaced was an old Sony 55" W802a which I think was a 2014 TV or somewhere around that time haha. Rest in peace old friend.
post #4662 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiles2 View Post
Got the 55" CX. It is my first OLED. Most of my viewing is in pitch black (bedroom with no windows or light) and holy crap....all I can say compared to LCD. Love not having grey blacks and I no longer get headaches from watching for 2+ hours.

My only problems with it so far after 200 hours use is not being able to disable that horrid pointer (or is there?) when you move the remote and that the remote itself is a bit clunky.

I use PLEX a lot and it is very fast compared to my old Roku player. ALL the apps I used on my old Roku player load faster and are much more responsive on this TV (Prime, Netflix etc).

The TV this replaced was an old Sony 55" W802a which I think was a 2014 TV or somewhere around that time haha. Rest in peace old friend.
The magic remote cursor is very sensitive I agree!

Coming from a B6 I must say the CX does a wonderful job of HDR highlights, so much more pop, and when the picture needs to be bright, for example the sun in the backdrop or sun reflecting off water it really stands out. Cant imagine wanting it to go any brighter, it burns my eyes at times.
post #4663 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Coming from a B6 I must say the CX does a wonderful job of HDR highlights, so much more pop, and when the picture needs to be bright, for example the sun in the backdrop or sun reflecting off water it really stands out. Cant imagine wanting it to go any brighter, it burns my eyes at times.
Yeah for sure! Brightness a non issue for me as well. Not that I need it because the room is as dark or light as I want it to be. This is my first time watching HDR outside of a showroom and it is awesome.
post #4664 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Let me start by saying I likely will not get a professional calibration, however I do like to make the picture a little better than out of the box. In looking at D-Nice;s settings in post 504, I have a couple questions.

1. He set filmmaker mode with the settings. Where do the other modes come in, such as ISF bright or dark?
2. How important is it to go through all the settings? I went up to the 2 point, but when it got to the 22 point, I backed off.

My first impression of the TV was wow. I put 4 hours in watching and setting up yesterday. It was not until later in the evening when I thought I should check out some scenes from a favorite I have seen many times. The Lord of the Rings trilogy made my jaw drop at the difference from my old set to this CX. It was near like watching a new movie with more detail and color. My room has ambient light coming in. Not real bright but no where near dark. I was really impressed with how well I was able to see the picture with the OLED light setting turned down to under 320 following D-Nice's settings after reading all the dark room talk.
post #4665 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3113 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG_Da_Bears View Post
1. He set filmmaker mode with the settings. Where do the other modes come in, such as ISF bright or dark?

2. How important is it to go through all the settings? I went up to the 2 point, but when it got to the 22 point, I backed off.
1. You do not have to use Filmmaker mode. You can use ISF Dark in a dark room and ISF Bright in any environment with lighting. Both are for SDR only. HDR10/HLG and DV should use the Cinema PM.

2. I do not recommend using any of the white balance settings. Not even 2 point. These settings are unique to the panel they were measured and created for. Turning off or disabling processing options in the PM is recommended for purists.
post #4666 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
1. You do not have to use Filmmaker mode. You can use ISF Dark in a dark room and ISF Bright in any environment with lighting. Both are for SDR only. HDR10/HLG and DV should use the Cinema PM.

2. I do not recommend using any of the white balance settings. Not even 2 point. These settings are unique to the panel they were measured and created for. Turning off or disabling processing options in the PM is recommended for purists.
Thank you. Google has such a variation of answers it makes it difficult to discern where to start.
post #4667 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5359 Post(s)
Liked: 6566
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG_Da_Bears View Post
Let me start by saying I likely will not get a professional calibration, however I do like to make the picture a little better than out of the box. In looking at D-Nice;s settings in post 504, I have a couple questions.

My first impression of the TV was wow. I put 4 hours in watching and setting up yesterday. It was not until later in the evening when I thought I should check out some scenes from a favorite I have seen many times. The Lord of the Rings trilogy made my jaw drop at the difference from my old set to this CX. It was near like watching a new movie with more detail and color. My room has ambient light coming in. Not real bright but no where near dark. I was really impressed with how well I was able to see the picture with the OLED light setting turned down to under 320 following D-Nice's settings after reading all the dark room talk.
D-Nice is a colleague of mine and it's nice that he posts settings but you have to remember most panels are different do to manufacturing variations so using his settings may or may not improve your PQ. What i can say is most or all of the 2020 LGs and Sony's are pushing blue OOTB so using the posted 2Pt is a safe way to fix or improve that. But again most sets i've measured will have different amounts of elevated Blue. Filmmaker PM is just another PM preset with all of the picture processing turned off except Real Cinema. But we calibrate it vs ISF Dark so if one day that PM trigger is ever implemented, you can use it to automatically put the set in FM PM. You can also turn off the trigger in the user menus so either way you are covered. If you are a home calibrator and have the time you can calibrate as many or as few of the expert PMs as you want.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #4668 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked: 7715
Quote:

I find using two hands on the remote makes it easier to use.
Synomenon likes this.
post #4669 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3113 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
The force is strong with this one.
Spizz, koan, ataneruo and 6 others like this.
post #4670 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I had to turn the speed down to slowest, cursor to smallest size and still can only use it correctly about 30% of the time.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #4671 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I can control with one hand just fine, it's just sensitive that's all.
post #4672 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
D-Nice is a colleague of mine and it's nice that he posts settings but you have to remember most panels are different do to manufacturing variations so using his settings may or may not improve your PQ. What i can say is most or all of the 2020 LGs and Sony's are pushing blue OOTB so using the posted 2Pt is a safe way to fix or improve that. But again most sets i've measured will have different amounts of elevated Blue. Filmmaker PM is just another PM preset with all of the picture processing turned off except Real Cinema. But we calibrate it vs ISF Dark so if one day that PM trigger is ever implemented, you can use it to automatically put the set in FM PM. You can also turn off the trigger in the user menus so either way you are covered. If you are a home calibrator and have the time you can calibrate as many or as few of the expert PMs as you want.
Thank you. I wont be home calibrating. I think it makes me want to adjust a little because the possibility is there. This is the first higher end set I ever bought and it so blows away anything else I have owned.
post #4673 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason82 View Post
I contacted LG who told me that new TVs can have this due to chemicals used at the warehouse.
By any chance, did they specify what exactly these chemicals are used for? Like for example some coating for internal board?
post #4674 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
The force is strong with this one.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
npsacobra likes this.
post #4675 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylishGum View Post
What about multichannel PCM doesn't work? It's been working for me since I bought the TV about a month ago.
It hasn't been working properly for me and others. For me, it sometimes. It's never worked for my Nintendo Switch, occasionally (messing with connections and settings, disconnecting and reconnecting, turning settings off and on) with my PS4 Pro, and most of the time with my Apple TV (with the occasional disconnect and reconnect of the HDMI cable that goes into the HDMI2 eARC input of the TV, and most of the time with my PC (granted I had to use CRU, otherwise it would have not recognized the 5.1/7.1 capability).

I asked about the correct settings you should have in your TV for it to work properly before, but no one answered. I'm guessing not a lot of people care or know about MC-LPCM. Would you tell me what settings you use to pass MC-LPCM through the CX?

HDMI Audio Input: PCM, Bitstream?
Audio Output: Auto, PCM, Pass Through?

I know I've tried all combinations before, I just wanna know what I should have it set for when and if the new firmware update comes out and somehow updates the flaky PCM passthrough. Thanks!
post #4676 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Gómez López View Post
It hasn't been working properly for me and others. For me, it sometimes. It's never worked for my Nintendo Switch, occasionally (messing with connections and settings, disconnecting and reconnecting, turning settings off and on) with my PS4 Pro, and most of the time with my Apple TV (with the occasional disconnect and reconnect of the HDMI cable that goes into the HDMI2 eARC input of the TV, and most of the time with my PC (granted I had to use CRU, otherwise it would have not recognized the 5.1/7.1 capability).

I asked about the correct settings you should have in your TV for it to work properly before, but no one answered. I'm guessing not a lot of people care or know about MC-LPCM. Would you tell me what settings you use to pass MC-LPCM through the CX?

HDMI Audio Input: PCM, Bitstream?
Audio Output: Auto, PCM, Pass Through?

I know I've tried all combinations before, I just wanna know what I should have it set for when and if the new firmware update comes out and somehow updates the flaky PCM passthrough. Thanks!
I asked about this too. 5.1 PCM is not working properly for me. I tried everything back when I was on 03.00.45 (which is the firmware where multichannel PCM was fixed, according to page 1 of this thread), and I've tried everything now that I'm on 03.00.60. PC requires me to use CRU for it to work, and consoles set to send out PCM will result in 2 channels, not 6 (5.1).

Is there anyone out there that just connects their PC to the TV and gets 5.1 and 7.1 PCM? ...and more importantly, never loses it and has to play with it to make it work again?
post #4677 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mount, Power Cable & Recessed Box

Hi, I'm considering the 77 GX but want to make sure I can get it flat against the wall at a reasonable height.

According to the manufacturer's diagram the recessed box needs to overlap with the area directly where the power cable exits the unit. Is there any reason why you can't run the power cable up the cable track channels and have it enter a recessed box further up the unit?
post #4678 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has the 48" CX started showing up at any of the tv retailers in the US? Value Electronics, etc? I think the one that was listed on the LG site was wrongly listed as it's no longer there and hasn't been there for several days. I noticed it did already come out in the UK on May 11th, but there seems to be nothing online (that I can find) of anyone picking one up. But the retailer Curry's is selling them.

Last edited by TommyJarvis; 05-25-2020 at 09:20 AM.
post #4679 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
I can control with one hand just fine, it's just sensitive that's all.

*chuckles*
meli and mrtickleuk like this.
post #4680 of 7523 Old 05-25-2020, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 71
CRU users: are you Importing hdmi-bitstream.dat? If not, what audio format(s) do you use? Are you changing the video EDID, too? If so, to what?

| LG OLED55C9, Firmware v04.80.03 | Denon AVR-X3400H, Firmware v7600-8281-6432-2065 | ATV 4K | Sony UBP-X700 | Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) & HB-1 MK2 (LRSur), Sub VTF-15H MK2, ELAC Atmos | X-Rite i1D3 OEM | 2020 CalMAN Home for LG build 163 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page