2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6054Likes

post #4711 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerrelli View Post
You will need to raise the tv for sure for a sound bar. I also went from the Q90R to the CX. Main reason I jumped was the extra gaming features, but moreover because Samsung really destroyed the pq in its game mode by its poor use of local dimming in that mode. Gaming with those elevated black levels in game mode and having essentially a washed out image really killed it for me. I couldn’t be happier gaming on the OLED now. That said I thought I’d only game on the OLED but still watch movies on the Q90R because of its peak brightness and overall stellar LD performance (outside of game mode), but boy was I wrong. While the CX doesn’t get nearly as bright, the infinite contrast & perceived brightness of this OLED is something to behold. I absolutely don’t think I can go back to traditional LCD/LED. Maybe microLED in the future, we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been really disappointed with the DSE on the Q90r - Samsung has been terrible in terms of communication and trying to get the panel fixed - they want over £1000 for me to replace the panel...I couldn't believe it!

I'm a big gamer so the CX and it's future-proof features are really appealing for Xbox Series X and PS5.
Fonzerrelli likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
No, I meant the "username checks out", which I took to mean that you had some access to the back-end statistics of his channel. What did you mean by "username checks out"?
Your username: mrtickleuk

"Username checks out, this has tickled me pink."

It's a common meme on reddit where the poster's username correlates directly or indirectly to what they posted.
mrtickleuk and FredsElbow like this.
post #4713 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Your username: mrtickleuk

"Username checks out, this has tickled me pink."

It's a common meme on reddit where the poster's username correlates directly or indirectly to what they posted.
Exactly this. I was impressed that the click baiter had his view count dismissed is all, no ill intent in my comment. Sorry for any confusion
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4714 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5337 Post(s)
Liked: 6543
I wouldn't be loading any beta versions since they put out yet another today which means there are bugs. Wait for the official release since it should be soon.
ataneruo and skschatzman like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #4715 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
That would be a disaster. It would brick any C9 if you installed a CX firmware on it, as it's a different model!

Rather, they should implement the same fix in the C9 firmware and C8 firmwares, and re-issue both. (probably what you meant anyway!). That's what they SHOULD do, not necessarily what they WILL do.

Please, please, do not forget C8 owners. We've been living with these problems for a year longer than you, and we shouldn't be forgotten. You'll be thinking the exact same thing yourself in a year's time when there's an essential fix for the 2021 model, someone says "will we get it for our CX", and you'll think "hey, what about my C9". And it'll be something that LG should have fixed ages ago.
Ha, yes, of course. My current issue is that I have a C9 coming later this week so I can easily upgrade it to the CX. Thus, my conundrum.
post #4716 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7632 Post(s)
Liked: 7703
Quote:
That would be a disaster. It would brick any C9 if you installed a CX firmware on it, as it's a different model!
You are probably right, not to mention a hack would be involved.

---Over in the 950G Sony thead someone discovered 950H. firmware can be put on the 950G, no hack required. I bet that loophole will be fixed soon.
post #4717 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post
Quote:
That would be a disaster. It would brick any C9 if you installed a CX firmware on it, as it's a different model! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Rather, they should implement the same fix in the C9 firmware and C8 firmwares, and re-issue both. (probably what you meant anyway!). That's what they SHOULD do, not necessarily what they WILL do. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG]

Please, please, do not forget C8 owners. We've been living with these problems for a year longer than you, and we shouldn't be forgotten. You'll be thinking the exact same thing yourself in a year's time when there's an essential fix for the 2021 model, someone says "will we get it for our CX", and you'll think "hey, what about my C9". And it'll be something that LG should have fixed ages ago. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG]
Ha, yes, of course. My current issue is that I have a C9 coming later this week so I can easily upgrade it to the CX. Thus, my conundrum.
Unfortunately this doesn't fix the other issues with the CX vs C9 😞

Can someone explain exactly what this issue is that the new firmware is solving? Is there a good work around until then?
Jakob D. likes this.
post #4718 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum_trunks View Post

Can someone explain exactly what this issue is that the new firmware is solving? Is there a good work around until then?
There are two things for me

1) Raised blacks
2) jrref mentioned that the PQ on the beta is better than before. Until this point, most reviews and comments from owners say that its nearly identical to the C9 and any differences are likely due to panel variation.

If the CX is truly a step up AND the raised blacks are solved while the C9 doesn't receive a fix, I'd personally change my order from a 9 to X. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on that but for me, that's what matters.
Jakob D. and Fonzerrelli like this.
post #4719 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaynard06 View Post
FYI, not sure if it’s been said yet, but the 48” is available for pre-order from B&H in case anyone is interested.

I’ll personally be waiting for Best Buy for the warranty covering burn in for peace of mind.

Excellent. So I guess they're starting to show up more for pre-order. I think I'm leaning Best Buy too due to the warranty that covers burn in and also the ease of taking back (if I have to) since a store is right up the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
As is Value Electronics. Mine is scheduled to ship 1 June ish.

CC @TommyJarvis

Nice! I wonder if that that means they're getting them in sometimes this week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Not just yet

I was hoping they would start showing up earlier than expected so there could be some hands on.
Kadath likes this.
post #4720 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:

1) Raised blacks
2) jrref mentioned that the PQ on the beta is better than before. Until this point, most reviews and comments from owners say that its nearly identical to the C9 and any differences are likely due to panel variation.

If the CX is truly a step up AND the raised blacks are solved while the C9 doesn't receive a fix, I'd personally change my order from a 9 to X. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on that but for me, that's what matters.
Interesting. I'd love to see some of the issues mentioned. I'm waiting on my C9 to come hopefully tomorrow after not having a tv in 4 years, so I'm completely unaware of the issues. Went with a C9 after reading rtings and some anecdotal reports (also the Nvidia issue with 10bit native output made the C9 a no brainier(, but would be curious to revaluate if there was actually a measured difference.

Hopefully if it's just a SW issue, we'll get it on C9 as well. Wonder where I could go to ask.
post #4721 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

What issues? If you mean DTS decoder, that's never going to be solved via firmware, but if you have a sound bar or receiver that you want to send DTS bitstream to, you still can, just not through the TV. If it's the 48 vs 40 gbps HDMI bandwidth, it's again a non issue, as there isn't any card out there with enough power that can do 4:4:4 120 Hz 10 bit output of AAA games. When such a card comes out, I am sure they will support 10 bit output and not just 8 and 12 bit only, as the bandwidth issue will be well known by then.

I am glad I spent a bit extra and got the CX, as the forward like this new one, which reportedly improves picture quality is more likely to come to me and not the C9.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
post #4722 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

1) Raised blacks

Very curious about this quality difference. I am currently debating between the 77" C9 and CX models given the price difference on newer display. I won't be purchasing for about a month so the availability of these two models may be the deciding hand in this decision. If the difference is significant enough, I may be able to swing the difference in dollars since the goal is for this display to last 4-5 years.

Either way, I know it will be a significant upgrade from the current 75" Sony X900E, which I rarely watch in the dark given the very distracting blooming.

LG 77CX OLED | Sony 75x900e
Sony STR-DN1080
Panasonic DP-UP820 | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | Nintendo Switch
post #4723 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpowney View Post
I've been really disappointed with the DSE on the Q90r - Samsung has been terrible in terms of communication and trying to get the panel fixed - they want over £1000 for me to replace the panel...I couldn't believe it!

I'm a big gamer so the CX and it's future-proof features are really appealing for Xbox Series X and PS5.
Which gaming feature the CX have over the c9?
post #4724 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
What issues? If you mean DTS decoder, that's never going to be solved via firmware, but if you have a sound bar or receiver that you want to send DTS bitstream to, you still can, just not through the TV. If it's the 48 vs 40 gbps HDMI bandwidth, it's again a non issue, as there isn't any card out there with enough power that can do 4:4:4 120 Hz 10 bit output of AAA games. When such a card comes out, I am sure they will support 10 bit output and not just 8 and 12 bit only, as the bandwidth issue will be well known by then.

I am glad I spent a bit extra and got the CX, as the forward like this new one, which reportedly improves picture quality is more likely to come to me and not the C9.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I am inclined to disagree. Nvidia has no obligation to change the way they've always done things when they release their 3080 series etc. Would rather have the same panel and 48gbps to ensure I am getting the most out of gaming. The rtings review sealed it for me.

Yes there is always the potential of the C9 missing some of the firmware updates, but I would put my money on LG vs Nvidia at this point. Still not sure what the raised blacks issue is, would love to see photos or data if anyone has it.
Hiroo Onoda likes this.
post #4725 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked: 2104
Quote:

1) Raised blacks

That's not quite true as it depends on your usage. Some users going from the C9 to C10 have reported less video noise from content on the margins. And there is this from rtings.com: "The LG CX upscales 720p content, such as from cable boxes, well with no upscaling artifacts that we noticed on past OLED TVs.". It'll be interesting to see what Vincent reports with the heavy noise scene from Father Brown. But you're right in that there is probably no difference with high quality content. That is until the Pandora box of the beta firmware update and if it carries over to the C9 which is TBD.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #4726 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymblos View Post
Which gaming feature the CX have over the c9?
I'm aware that the C9 has pretty much the same features for gaming, but the difference in price does not concern me - so I'm mainly driven by the potential outcome that LG may continue to update the CX in the future over the C9, so with new consoles coming out I can just have peace of mind that I won't be missing out. Until the C11 though of course
post #4727 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 178
had a random issue this weekend where my cx was not getting a signal from any HDMI input. had to hold down the power button to force a restart. hope this doesn’t happen often
post #4728 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
CRU users: are you Importing hdmi-bitstream.dat? If not, what audio format(s) do you use? Are you changing the video EDID, too? If so, to what?
What I do is just edit the "extension blocks" line (bottom right white window): click on it and click on "Edit..."
Then under "Data Blocks" I click on Speaker setup and "Edit..." again. I checkmark the speakers I have and click ok.
Then under "Data Blocks" again, I click on Audio Formats, and "Edit...". Then "Add..." and add the formats you want. The only one I care about is LPCM 6 and 8 channels; so I add those.

Those NEVER show up for me (4 different windows 10 PC's, 2 different sound systems, all possible settings combinations and cable connection order combinations).
post #4729 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendix View Post
Do you experience audio delay when watching Dolby Digital content while using Earc?
I have on C9
But in page one I can see the PCM multichannel is fixed? So if you HAD audio delay- do you now use LPCM now? If so, I would know that I should look forward for the SW update to C9.

Thanks
Multichannel PCM is not working properly for me. When it does work though, yes, there is absolutely no delay. DD has some (barely noticeable) when using eARC; nothing, compared to DD over ARC.
post #4730 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
That's not quite true as it depends on your usage. Some users going from the C9 to C10 have reported less video noise from content on the margins. And there is this from rtings.com: "The LG CX upscales 720p content, such as from cable boxes, well with no upscaling artifacts that we noticed on past OLED TVs.". It'll be interesting to see what Vincent reports with the heavy noise scene from Father Brown. But you're right in that there is probably no difference with high quality content. That is until the Pandora box of the beta firmware update and if it carries over to the C9 which is TBD.
Agreed, some users with different use cases mileage will vary.

It seems like this years rtings review was met with more hostility than prior years. I had always been under the impression they were one of the few sites that actually knew what they were measuring and actually had some data to back up their points. I am not sure if it was CX users being defensive or just people generally irritated that this years model jump was lagging compared to prior years.
post #4731 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Yep the cx imo after having both sets does handle low quality content better than the c9. I noticed it right away when I started watching some directv on content I knw for a fact was problematic wit the c9. That being said I still feel cable content is trash and lg hasn't perfected it yet but on the cx its at least watchable

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
post #4732 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterkillerX View Post
I'm planning on getting the CX48 sometime after it releases, and I have a question: if Instant Game Response is turned on, will I be able to use any picture mode I want and still get the lowest input lag for games? Really curious about this as I've heard some say you can, but I just want to make sure
Yes: when Instant Game Response is ON, some "post-processing" features are deactivated/grayed-out for all picture modes. For example, the most obvious one that would cause delay--TruMotion--is greyed out (along with many others). So, for example, you can have Instant Game Response ON and use "Vivid" picture mode, and still get the lowest input lag. There is a "Game Mode" picture mode and even a "PC Mode" (by editing the actual HDMI input in the TV settings), but it doesn't appear to lower the input lag any further (and PC mode won't allow u to even change color settings, so it doesn't usually look good).
gunner842 and MasterkillerX like this.
post #4733 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Gómez López View Post
What I do is just edit the "extension blocks" line (bottom right white window): click on it and click on "Edit..."
Then under "Data Blocks" I click on Speaker setup and "Edit..." again. I checkmark the speakers I have and click ok.
Then under "Data Blocks" again, I click on Audio Formats, and "Edit...". Then "Add..." and add the formats you want. The only one I care about is LPCM 6 and 8 channels; so I add those.
No need to add an extra format or change the speaker setup. You just have to edit the existing LPCM entry. See the first thumbnail in this post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58655822
post #4734 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
RTINGS video review of the CX.

post #4735 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 226
https://www.t3.com/us/reviews/lg-cx-review-oled-4k-tv

Specifically mentions how picture quality is better than the c9 (color, upscaling)

Only knock on the cx seems to be that it doesn’t have bass lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
post #4736 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I'm aware that the C9 has pretty much the same features for gaming, but the difference in price does not concern me - so I'm mainly driven by the potential outcome that LG may continue to update the CX in the future over the C9, so with new consoles coming out I can just have peace of mind that I won't be missing out. Until the C11 though of course
C9 does not have AMD Freesync, which might be important since the new consoles contain AMD chips.
post #4737 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfeinbergs View Post
Quote:
I'm aware that the C9 has pretty much the same features for gaming, but the difference in price does not concern me - so I'm mainly driven by the potential outcome that LG may continue to update the CX in the future over the C9, so with new consoles coming out I can just have peace of mind that I won't be missing out. Until the C11 though of course [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]
C9 does not have AMD Freesync, which might be important since the new consoles contain AMD chips.
I thought there was a workaround for this already. Maybe I was mistaken.
post #4738 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Gómez López View Post

Those NEVER show up for me (4 different windows 10 PC's, 2 different sound systems, all possible settings combinations and cable connection order combinations).
Thanks. That is, more or less, what I have been doing. The bitstream.dat file does not seem to do anything helpful. Perhaps it is a remnant from years ago?
I forgot about LPCM 6. I'll add that.
When contrasting the pre- and post-change hex dumps, I find that at least one byte changes on the video side when altering the audio side. Unsure why.

| LG OLED55C9, Firmware v04.80.03 | Denon AVR-X3400H, Firmware v7600-8281-6432-2065 | ATV 4K | Sony UBP-X700 | Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) & HB-1 MK2 (LRSur), Sub VTF-15H MK2, ELAC Atmos | X-Rite i1D3 OEM | 2020 CalMAN Home for LG build 163 |

Last edited by mhmercer; 05-26-2020 at 10:26 AM.
post #4739 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
New consoles will use HDMI VRR instead. On a PC you can activate Freesync with CRU.
tjcinnamon and HiFi4Vision like this.
post #4740 of 7198 Old 05-26-2020, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Not this again ...
As I've explained a dozen times before: PS5 and Xbox Series X will support HDMI 2.1 VRR, FreeSync will be meaningless for the new consoles.
gorman42 and Balthazar Lin like this.

TV: LG OLED C9 Firmware v04.71.25 | Probe: X-Rite i1Display Pro OEM Rev. B-02 (04/2019) | EDR: FSI_XM55U_23Jan19.edr | SW: CalMAN Home for LG R3 GM v05.10.2.67 | PG: LG iTPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page