2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5857Likes

post #4771 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroshin View Post
I see, would this be why in most HDMI bandwidth charts 4:2:2 is shown only in one line ("Bit depth" column showing "8, 10 or 12")?
Yes, that's exactly why the bandwidth charts show one column for 4:2:2. They usually put "8, 10 or 12" but sometimes just 12. It's also the reason why 4:2:2 only shows up under the 12-bit column in that small 4K refresh colour depth chart that keeps popping up.
Pedroshin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Gómez López View Post
Yes: when Instant Game Response is ON, some "post-processing" features are deactivated/grayed-out for all picture modes. For example, the most obvious one that would cause delay--TruMotion--is greyed out (along with many others). So, for example, you can have Instant Game Response ON and use "Vivid" picture mode, and still get the lowest input lag. There is a "Game Mode" picture mode and even a "PC Mode" (by editing the actual HDMI input in the TV settings), but it doesn't appear to lower the input lag any further (and PC mode won't allow u to even change color settings, so it doesn't usually look good).
Awesome, thanks! Just what I was hoping to hear.

Philips 326M6VJRMB monitor

Xbox One X
post #4773 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Gómez López View Post
Yes: when Instant Game Response is ON, some "post-processing" features are deactivated/grayed-out for all picture modes. For example, the most obvious one that would cause delay--TruMotion--is greyed out (along with many others). So, for example, you can have Instant Game Response ON and use "Vivid" picture mode, and still get the lowest input lag. There is a "Game Mode" picture mode and even a "PC Mode" (by editing the actual HDMI input in the TV settings), but it doesn't appear to lower the input lag any further (and PC mode won't allow u to even change color settings, so it doesn't usually look good).
Interesting, I have it enabled but use the game mode pm, but I presumed if I was in ISF dark for example and switched on my Xbox to play a game it would switch me to the game mode picture mode.

If I use the game mode pm as default does it make it pointless for me having instant game response enabled?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4774 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Anyone watch uncut gems on Netflix in Dolby vision yet? I assume the raised blacks issue is the constant gray flickering rectangles where the letterboxes are that go away when you change brightness to 49?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
post #4775 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
Anyone watch uncut gems on Netflix in Dolby vision yet? I assume the raised blacks issue is the constant gray flickering rectangles where the letterboxes are that go away when you change brightness to 49?

I am watching it now and I don't see raised blacks on the internal app on my C9. If what you are describing is like buzzing static in the letterbox bars, then that is the same C9 users are seeing with HDR when calibrating with 1DLUT.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2019 LG C9 65"
2019 LG SL10YG Soundbar
I1D3 OEM
Calman Home RC1
Lightspace/Colorspace
post #4776 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
I am watching it now and I don't see raised blacks on the internal app on my C9. If what you are describing is like buzzing static in the letterbox bars, then that is the same C9 users are seeing with HDR when calibrating with 1DLUT.

Yeah...watching through an nvidia shield, not the internal app

post #4777 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Interesting, I have it enabled but use the game mode pm, but I presumed if I was in ISF dark for example and switched on my Xbox to play a game it would switch me to the game mode picture mode.

If I use the game mode pm as default does it make it pointless for me having instant game response enabled?

Thanks
It seems Instant Game Response is independent of picture mode. I don't know if having both ON is redundant, but it won't bring down the input lag. Just keep Instant Game Response ON and use whatever picture mode you like.

You can definitely have your TV set to ISF, turn on you Xbox, have the console-TV interaction turn Instant Game Response ON and still be in ISF. It won't do the automatic switch for you (which is good!).

My QLED used to turn on Game Mode by itself when a console was detected and I HATED it. Worst of it all, it would also switch my Samsung Soundbar to Game Mode, which is a TERRIBLE echo-y, fake surround mode; and that TV to Soundbar signal that switched the soundbar to Game Mode could not be deactivated. Drove me nutssss.
gunner842 and MasterkillerX like this.
post #4778 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post

Yeah...watching through an nvidia shield, not the internal app

This is on both CX and C9? This is what is going to be fixed in the pending firmware update?
post #4779 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 07:18 PM

Anyone know what the soap opera level is in the motion settings from cinema clear, natural and smooth? Is that in increasing order of magnitude of soap opera effect? I don’t see much of a difference between natural and smooth (I see soap opera) and almost none in cinema clear

post #4780 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Anyone know what the soap opera level is in the motion settings from cinema clear, natural and smooth? Is that in increasing order of magnitude of soap opera effect? I don’t see much of a difference between natural and smooth (I see soap opera) and almost none in cinema clear

I don't knw the levels but cinema clear is my favorite out of the bunch

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Cam1977 likes this.
post #4781 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
I don't knw the levels but cinema clear is my favorite out of the bunch

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
That cinema clear is the one "tasty" thing that I wish I had on my C9.

My motion is good and looks close enough to film. But you and jreff and others seem to speak to this setting as really good.
Or does the CX also have just plain "cinema" like on the C9 but also works better?

You also had the C9- right?

How would you compare cinema and cinema clear on each set?

Does it take away that slight blur from the LG without introducing noticeable SOE?
I think jreff said it was like on the Sony A9G. I now on that set, the slight, slight blur on the LG with up close head movement etc was absent on the Sony - all without it looking like any processing was done.

I know some say the CX is the best and others say the C9 has less "issues". I also know the CX has enhancements.
But for me, this cinema clear is the "ticket" that sounds very interesting

Please share!
post #4782 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
That cinema clear is the one "tasty" thing that I wish I had on my C9.

My motion is good and looks close enough to film. But you and jreff and others seem to speak to this setting as really good.
Or does the CX also have just plain "cinema" like on the C9 but also works better?

You also had the C9- right?

How would you compare cinema and cinema clear on each set?

Does it take away that slight blur from the LG without introducing noticeable SOE?
I think jreff said it was like on the Sony A9G. I now on that set, the slight, slight blur on the LG with up close head movement etc was absent on the Sony - all without it looking like any processing was done.

I know some say the CX is the best and others say the C9 has less "issues". I also know the CX has enhancements.
But for me, this cinema clear is the "ticket" that sounds very interesting

Please share!

Cinema clear is highly overrated imo. I still see artifacts too much with that setting.

Sargon 1 likes this.
post #4783 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 11:47 PM
sda

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Hello All, I have a GX coming and was wondering what wall mount people would recommend for my situation. I bought the GX more for the form factor than the flush mount. I've been going back and forth on whether to flush mount or keep backlighting. I've decided on backlighting. The mount that I have currently will work but, it will put the TV out about 2.5" from the wall. I'd like to be about an inch if possible. My studs are also off center which creates a problem (including for flush mounting) and I need the ability to move the tv off center of the mount base. Any suggestions?
I am going to do both. I had bias lighting on my plasma, and as I switch to LG OLED (GX coming in about a week or so) I decided to search for a solution. I found Waveform Lighting which makes a "Sidewinder™ LED Flex Strip for D65 Bias Lighting." Because of the size of the TV (77"), I got four of the strips along with the "FilmGrade™ Flicker-Free LED Dimmer" and power unit. The total was about $255. We'll see how it goes but I'm excited about how I think it will turn out.
Stevetd and Cam1977 like this.
post #4784 of 6819 Old 05-26-2020, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 4139
^Heres my 77C8, nothing fancy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200527_005006.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2733006  
post #4785 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^Heres my 77C8, nothing fancy!
Nice set up and system Cam!
Cam1977 likes this.
post #4786 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 4139
^thanks, I was trying to give @sda a round about picture of what it may look like with the bias lighting.
sda likes this.
post #4787 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Can anyone explain the difference in intended enhancement between Super Resolution and AI Picture Pro? I've left SR off assuming that AI Picture will help with any non-4K content upscaling, but should I have SR on too?
MasterkillerX likes this.
post #4788 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman9 View Post
Can anyone explain the difference in intended enhancement between Super Resolution and AI Picture Pro? I've left SR off assuming that AI Picture will help with any non-4K content upscaling, but should I have SR on too?
Hmm, I don't have the TV, but I'm pretty sure Super Resolution+ sharpens the image a ton, and if you like that sort of thing, I think it's worth using! I used to own an LG 27UK650 monitor that had SR+, and I always used it on High. I think if you sit further away, it's really nice since you see a ton more detail with it, and it just looks better in my eyes. I'm not sure about AI Picture, but I think it enhances clarity and resolution of images, not necessarily sharpness. Don't take my word for it of course, but this is just what I've gathered from all the research I've done on this TV. Hoping to get the 48" once it releases

Philips 326M6VJRMB monitor

Xbox One X
post #4789 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 01:43 AM

Dynamic tone mapping on or off for HDR10?

Wondering who has had time with testing the setting and decided on what their preference is? fairly new to the TV and can't decide.
post #4790 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by sda View Post
I am going to do both. I had bias lighting on my plasma, and as I switch to LG OLED (GX coming in about a week or so) I decided to search for a solution. I found Waveform Lighting which makes a "Sidewinder LED Flex Strip for D65 Bias Lighting." Because of the size of the TV (77"), I got four of the strips along with the "FilmGrade Flicker-Free LED Dimmer" and power unit. The total was about $255. We'll see how it goes but I'm excited about how I think it will turn out.

I would love to see some pics after you get it set up. Are you putting the strips on the sides of the tv? I’m confused how you’re going to do both. In my case, I really like the Hue light strips because I change the light to match the color of my wall and it works very well imo. I tried 6500 and my wife and I prefer the color match at 40% (I think) brightness.
post #4791 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 64

vincent teoh from hdtvtest's review is out

77GX
post #4792 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 03:51 AM

Hi

I have an issue with Apple TV 4K, I notice jaggies on wording, very noticeable on Netflix at the start of episodes when the "original Netflix series" displays at the start, don't think it's just Netflix but used as an example.

If I watch via the LG CX internal netflix app its fine.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thank you
post #4793 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenaesword View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRUTqfB_Ts

vincent teoh from hdtvtest's review is out
Been waiting for this, thanks! I'm scared to watch lol

post #4794 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
You need to put smooth gradation on LOW.
Quote:
I've seen banding in some ps4 pro games also. The smooth gradation imo is broken as of the latest update I've mentioned it a couple of times. I have certain youtube content that I knw has gradation issues and usually low setting on smooth gradation solves it now the only setting that does anything is High. Days gone RdR2 infamous second son nba2k20 the witcher 3 are just some of the games I've noticed weird banding in skies. Blue skies and night skies have imo always been a problem with oled well at least LG oled. If u find a fix let me knw because its annoying at times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerrelli View Post
Yup can confirm latest update seems to have broken smooth gradation. Low seems to do absolutely nothing.
Has the broken Smooth Gradation been reported to LG? Seemed like an useful option to have working properly as to reduce banding without losing detail...
Are there still issues like this? Hope not...

Quote:
Watched some of doctor sleep last night and it had some weird things going on in mid to dark scenes especially in the beginning of the movie when the little boy is walking to the bathroom it was like an oval shape circle as he the camera was panning along side a gray screen never seen that before on many shots like that along with some funny type of vignetting as he was standing in the bathroom looking at the bathtub idk if that was the movies intent or what
Isn't that the famous oval shape reported from the past two years models (#1, #2)? However, I've read it only shows with Game Mode, so unless you were watching on a console app I'm doubting it.
Speaking of which... I hope that oval shape isn't still obvious in Game Mode on the CX with dark games and the only solution being to play outside that mode. Unless one can still get the same input lag outside it. I've read PC mode is required (#1, #2), but that introduces very bad banding.
Will probably make a post in regards to this in the dedicated gaming thread.

By the way I'm being very cautious and bringing up every little visual complaints I've been reading since, even though I have yet to use any of the new OLEDs personally, I'm usually very sensitive to things like these. I once swapped with a relative's older LCD TV simply because the uniformity was better and I was tired from going back and forth with my new one to the retailer. Planning on buying the 48" LG CX for my first OLED and hoping for a low chance of having to return it.
post #4795 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 04:54 AM

Have not watched the review fully yet above, but did he say to turn on AI brightness?

I watch in dark room but he seemed to suggest it being useful, even in a dark room environment.
post #4796 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Have not watched the review fully yet above, but did he say to turn on AI brightness?

I watch in dark room but he seemed to suggest it being useful, even in a dark room environment.
I watch in a dark room as well and have it on for all inputs/picture options except ps4 and switch. Cant say for sure what its doing, but I guess if I dont notice the dimming adjustments, it must be pretty good
Kadath and gunner842 like this.

post #4797 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Im surprised Vincent didn't mention anything about buggy HDMI handshaking. He probably didn't experience any wired behaviour while reviewing his set. Im really hoping this gets fixed in the next firmware update.
post #4798 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5323 Post(s)
Liked: 6528
In regards to Vincent's video he confirmed, slightly better upscaling, near black processing, tru-motion options and some raised black in DV, all that some of us mentioned early on. Also if you don't calibrate and see any raised blacks in any PM just lower the black level from 50 to 49. If you calibrate it should correct this. The Dolby Vision problem is a Dolby problem not anything with the LG so we will need to wait for that fix that's been reported early on. As far as BFI, he confirmed what D-Nice reported as well. I'm glad we all saw basically the same thing when evaluating this TV.

One last thing concerning raised blacks. Due to the OLED technology and the way LG handles near black processing, there will be sets that crush slightly, have slight raised blacks and some that are spot on. My suggestion is if you calibrate, you should be able to make adjustments to fix this, if not then just lower or raise the black level 1 click if the panel is good without tinging and or banding and has good brightness. Most of the sets i've seen have good black level but we will have to see more to see if there is a trend. OLED panel technology is not perfect so you need to find a set that is "acceptable".
saiyanzzrage and iangreasby like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #4799 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Okay I need some understanding on BFI and gaming. I'm planning on getting the CX. Which today Costco shows online...finally, so maybe the stores will be getting them soon. I want to mainly use the TV for gaming (70%) and movies (30%). In game mode, is BFI on or off, can you adjust the settings in game mode? I don't understand much about it, other than it adds a black frame in-between each picture frame. When BFI is used will this effect the input lag for games? Is it a big deal for the 120fps?
post #4800 of 6819 Old 05-27-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Yes i tested it and to me, major improvements in HDR and DV. I'm going to watch more content tonight because it looked too good to be true

I don't know if this is the final firmware that's supposed to be released some time in June but i'm sure it's part of it.
Hey John, just following up on this, when you rechecked it, did it still look good?
Desk. likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page