2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5878Likes

post #4861 of 6873 Old 05-27-2020, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7616 Post(s)
Liked: 7684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
I thought the consensus was bias lighting is unnecessary for an OLED and will cause crushed blacks. A pitch black room works best for OLED.
I would say it is always a matter of opinion, and I think it looks sweet in the pictures, I do not use it myself....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 6873 Old 05-27-2020, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyto View Post
No idea, on my CX i have NVidia card connected and can't find any mode on the TV called PC.
I saw some say you have to name the HDMI input PC - but that didn't change anything on mine and the CX is my first OLED so not sure what folks are talking about.
I really wish people would stop saying "rename the input to PC". The name does absolutely nothing.

Change the icon for the input to PC. That turns on PC mode. It will automatically rename it to PC as well but you can change that without turning off PC mode. Only the icon matters.
post #4863 of 6873 Old 05-27-2020, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have read through many posts and am still not 100% clear as to whether or not I can play DTS-MA audio using a Shield Pro directly connected to the LG CX via eARC to my earc receiver and if not, does the Shield Pro using a Plex app convert this format to LPCM 7. 1?

I'm just trying to figure out if there is ANY possible way to play HD DTS files besides directly using the receiver (I want to use plex and the native plex app doesn't support HD audio)

Would I have to plug the shield Pro directly into my receiver? (I want to avoid this for future vrr capabilities)

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 6873 Old 05-27-2020, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I would say it is always a matter of opinion, and I think it looks sweet in the pictures, I do not use it myself....
I have looked at near black slides on my 77 CX during times when the room is pitch black and when there is a little bit of light around. In a pitch black room, the 1% above black looks like the TV is off, but when I have a 2% above black slide, with black text in one corner, I can clearly see that the screen in not black if the room is pitch black, as the black text is visible against the rest of the slide. If the room has a little light, the same slide looks like the TV is still off with text unable to be distinguished from the background. This tells me that the perceived gamma increases with increased ambient light, and what was an acceptable shadow detail will get crushed with the bias lighting. If you don't believe me, just look at the image I put together. With a light background, the near black grays look crushed compared to the same grays with a dark background.

I am new to OLED (since I got the TV from you) but I just adore the way the OLED picture just floats above a pitch black room. I just can't see myself going away from this. On my FALD TV in the basement, the bias lighting is a necessity to hide away the blooming that is still there and darken the black levels. I just see bias lighting as a bad idea with the OLED, as it negates the greatest strength of the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bias.png
Views:	174
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2733444  
Sorax and Sargon 1 like this.

Last edited by rajendra82; 05-27-2020 at 10:12 PM.
post #4865 of 6873 Old 05-27-2020, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Lavoie View Post
I have read through many posts and am still not 100% clear as to whether or not I can play DTS-MA audio using a Shield Pro directly connected to the LG CX via eARC to my earc receiver and if not, does the Shield Pro using a Plex app convert this format to LPCM 7. 1?

I'm just trying to figure out if there is ANY possible way to play HD DTS files besides directly using the receiver (I want to use plex and the native plex app doesn't support HD audio)

Would I have to plug the shield Pro directly into my receiver? (I want to avoid this for future vrr capabilities)

Thank you.
Not sure about your second question but your first one is definitely no, it will not pass DTS over eArc period.

LG B6 (Chad B. calibrated)
Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
Custom HTPC/Emby WMC/MPC-BE/MadVR
post #4866 of 6873 Old 05-27-2020, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No. The CX won’t pass through DTS.

Kind of. Turning off passthrough will force the server to transcode to AAC. So you loose direct play and go from lossless to really crappy lossy even through it will output LPCM. You also lose DTS:X, TrueHD and Atmos. Might as well select the AC3 track at that point if you ripped it.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
What future VRR capabilities? GameStream doesn’t require/use Gsync.
dfa973 likes this.
post #4867 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
48 CX is definitely available in the UK. I have one sitting in my living room.

Available from curry’s. I ordered Friday, had it Saturday.
Spizz and helvetica bold like this.
post #4868 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
I watch in a dark room as well and have it on for all inputs/picture options except ps4 and switch. Cant say for sure what its doing, but I guess if I dont notice the dimming adjustments, it must be pretty good
Tried it, but realised I need to use cinema home to use Ai brightness, not viewed enough content to really get used to cinema home and if ai brightness is good, do you know if cinema home raises black levels, I watched some Netflix last night in DV and noticed black bars were grey at times, it could be apple tv 4k box doing that though.
post #4869 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
One last question. I'm not calibrated yet but which one is the most accurate to use dolby cinema or dolby cinema home wit dolby iq? Which would u use ?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Did you decide which you prefer?

I'm still undecided, lol.
post #4870 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
I have looked at near black slides on my 77 CX during times when the room is pitch black and when there is a little bit of light around. In a pitch black room, the 1% above black looks like the TV is off, but when I have a 2% above black slide, with black text in one corner, I can clearly see that the screen in not black if the room is pitch black, as the black text is visible against the rest of the slide. If the room has a little light, the same slide looks like the TV is still off with text unable to be distinguished from the background. This tells me that the perceived gamma increases with increased ambient light, and what was an acceptable shadow detail will get crushed with the bias lighting. If you don't believe me, just look at the image I put together. With a light background, the near black grays look crushed compared to the same grays with a dark background.

I am new to OLED (since I got the TV from you) but I just adore the way the OLED picture just floats above a pitch black room. I just can't see myself going away from this. On my FALD TV in the basement, the bias lighting is a necessity to hide away the blooming that is still there and darken the black levels. I just see bias lighting as a bad idea with the OLED, as it negates the greatest strength of the TV.

Interesting. I may have to do a little more digging on this. I would like to hear some more opinions too, especially from the resident experts. I may have this all wrong and should not be using bias lighting. One things for sure, it takes a load off the old eyeballs in a dark room.
post #4871 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
No. The CX won’t pass through DTS.

Kind of. Turning off passthrough will force the server to transcode to AAC. So you loose direct play and go from lossless to really crappy lossy even through it will output LPCM. You also lose DTS:X, TrueHD and Atmos. Might as well select the AC3 track at that point if you ripped it.

No.

What future VRR capabilities? GameStream doesn’t require/use Gsync.
So how about devices like an Xbox One X? Connecting this to a CX first, then connecting to an Atmos soundbar...will this still work in this case in regards to passthrough? From what I've read the passthrough issue is more to do with internal apps of the TV.
post #4872 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annisman View Post
Not sure about your second question but your first one is definitely no, it will not pass DTS over eArc period.
That is unfortunate. Thanks. Is there a way to convert dts-MA to Dolby True-hd?
post #4873 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpowney View Post
So how about devices like an Xbox One X? Connecting this to a CX first, then connecting to an Atmos soundbar...will this still work in this case in regards to passthrough? From what I've read the passthrough issue is more to do with internal apps of the TV.
People are using the Xbox One fine connected to to CX. They're not using DTS. Dolby ATMOS passes through no problem.

It's only DTS that doesn't work, both for internal apps and passthrough.
dfa973 likes this.
post #4874 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is unfortunate. Thanks. Is there a way to convert dts-MA to Dolby True-hd?
No. The software to do so is not available to consumers. You can manually convert your files to LPCM. But any DTS:X sources will lose their height information.

Just connect your Shield to the AVR. Problem solved.
mrtickleuk and dfa973 like this.
post #4875 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
People are using the Xbox One fine connected to to CX. They're not using DTS. Dolby ATMOS passes through no problem.

It's only DTS that doesn't work, both for internal apps and passthrough.
I think the challenge exists for those that use the Xbox One as a 4K blu ray player and also want to utilize the VRR/ALLM functionality of the device. Since we do not currently have HDMI 2.1 AVRs, and it may still be awhile before they are reasonably priced, the only solution would be to acquire a separate 4K blu ray player. I have a month before I will be able to purchase this display, though I highly doubt any receivers will be announced by then or by end of the year. It's not like the Xbox One ever added Dolby Vision disc playback functionality and neither Sony nor Microsoft have stated if the next generation consoles will have this feature included.

Sony 75x900e
Sony STR-DN1080
Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | Nintendo Switch
post #4876 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I'm in complete agreement with you regarding FALD TVs. Having gone through a couple as a replacement to a plasma, the requirement to use bias lighting is a significant negative to the display. Trying to watch Star Wars in 4K with the x900e in a darkened room was constantly distracting as the black bars turned to grey. I'm thinking this viewing experience may have been what finally convinced the spouse the LED may not work in the pitch black basement movie room we are setting up. I have found the LED light strip to be a bit of a nuisance to work consistently, and even then, I find it often distracting to the movie itself. So I have lately resigned myself to viewing only with interior lighting on.

Anyone have a great recommendation to sell a 75x900e?

Sony 75x900e
Sony STR-DN1080
post #4877 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
No. The software to do so is not available to consumers. You can manually convert your files to LPCM. But any DTS:X sources will lose their height information.

Just connect your Shield to the AVR. Problem solved.
Does Plex on Web Os still play files if the dts audio is transcoded to ac3?

Half of my older bluray collection rips are DTS and I can't get Plex to transcode them at all.
post #4878 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Did you decide which you prefer?

I'm still undecided, lol.
I stuck with cinema it looked more " right " to me but I may mess around with dolby iq some more though

gunner842 and Fonzerrelli like this.
post #4879 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I really wish people would stop saying "rename the input to PC". The name does absolutely nothing.

Change the icon for the input to PC. That turns on PC mode. It will automatically rename it to PC as well but you can change that without turning off PC mode. Only the icon matters.
Was going to say this but did not want to as I wasn't sure if renaming the input to PC while leaving the icon as HDMI had a different effect(or has no effect at all) compared to just changing the icon to PC(which also automatically renames the input to PC).
post #4880 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched The Conjuring last night on the Cx and the panny ub820 and it looked like a borderline 4k movie lol it looked like a different movie ( which I already loved) I've noticed that the cx and the ub820 are a potent combination together soo much more clean looking movies with more depth its hard to explain

post #4881 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbanks View Post
Was going to say this but did not want to as I wasn't sure if renaming the input to PC while leaving the icon as HDMI had a different effect(or has no effect at all) compared to just changing the icon to PC(which also automatically renames the input to PC).
Just to clarify, after changing the icon to PC you can change the text back to whatever you want and PC Mode will still be active. To turn off PC Mode you need to change the icon to something else.
dfa973 likes this.
post #4882 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFingTwist View Post
I think the challenge exists for those that use the Xbox One as a 4K blu ray player and also want to utilize the VRR/ALLM functionality of the device.
There's a "Let my receiver decode audio" option in System > Settings > Devices & streaming > Blu-ray. Turn it off for DTS Blu-rays. You'd lose DTS:X however.
post #4883 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
There's a "Let my receiver decode audio" option in System > Settings > Devices & streaming > Blu-ray. Turn it off for DTS Blu-rays. You'd lose DTS:X however.
Unfortunately, that defeats the whole purpose of having height channels. More and more 4K discs are including DTS:X over Atmos (Sony and Universal).
Sargon 1 and LiLAsN like this.

Sony 75x900e
Sony STR-DN1080
post #4884 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Watched The Conjuring last night on the Cx and the panny ub820 and it looked like a borderline 4k movie lol it looked like a different movie ( which I already loved) I've noticed that the cx and the ub820 are a potent combination together soo much more clean looking movies with more depth its hard to explain
Was the CX receiving a 1080p or a 2160p signal from the player?

LG 77" CX; LG 65” E6 OLED; Xbox One X; LG 55" LM7600 LCD; Roku Ultra
Onkyo TX-NR656; Thenaudio shArc
Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR (L/R); Infinity Primus PC351 (C); Infinity Primus P143BK (S-L/R)
Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #4885 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 6213 Post(s)
Liked: 9038
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFingTwist View Post
Unfortunately, that defeats the whole purpose of having height channels. More and more 4K discs are including DTS:X over Atmos (Sony and Universal).
Of course. It's a work-around. Hence the very clear "You'd lose DTS:X however." bit.

If you want a full solution, your options are:
  • A different TV
  • A separate 4K blu-ray player that you can connect to your AVR.
avernar and jrref like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #4886 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:

So far I'm finding the Sony X700 to have a sharper image, but I much prefer the Panny players. I use the Sony for nature shows and things that I want to have the biggest depth and the sharpest image.

Mine is the lowly 420, but it has the same image quality minus the DV - at least that is what people are reporting). Your has a better build quality too. Nothing can touch these players for 24p film cadence and HDR performance. Also, as you already well know, these players are LOADED with settings options that literally DWARFS my Sony X700 and (urp - excuse me...) LG player I returned

Liked it so much, I got a "backup for when mine breaks and they stop making them.
In the end, I'll probably backup the "backup". I have around 950 blu-rays that I have no intention of "orphaning".
(Hopefully tvs in the future will accept HDMI). Gosh, I sound like an old guy with his 78s records and victrola!

We are nearing that point already with Oppo and Samsung out. (Didn't you get the "memo"? STREAMING is pure uncompressed quality!)

Well, someone might always make a "token" player, but nothing of this quality- build and performance.

All 4 of my Samsung SD players died. I got backups for my SD Panny from years ago, but the first one "refuses" to die.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-28-2020 at 09:49 AM.
post #4887 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by malehumangeek View Post
48 CX is definitely available in the UK. I have one sitting in my living room.

Available from curry’s. I ordered Friday, had it Saturday.
What are your impressions? Looking at this set as well, strictly for television viewing at 1080 and 4K app content. No gaming.

McIntosh MX121 McIntosh MC7205 Arial Acoustics Model 6 / Model 5 OPPO BDP-103
post #4888 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post
Was the CX receiving a 1080p or a 2160p signal from the player?
I switched it to 1080p since it was a 1080p movie. Thats how I normally watch movies. I set it to whatever the native resolutions are accordingly

Sorax and saiyanzzrage like this.
post #4889 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
So far I'm finding the Sony X700 to have a sharper image, but I much prefer the Panny players. Mine is the lowly 420, but it has the same image quality minus the DV - at least that is what people are reporting). Your has a better build quality too.

Liked it so much, I got a "backup for when mine breaks and they stop making them.

In the end, I'll probably backup the "backup". I have around 950 blu-rays that I have no intention of "orphaning".

We are nearing that point already with Oppo and Samsung out.

Well, someone might always make a "token" player, but nothing of this quality- build and performance.

All 4 of my Samsung SD players died. I got backups for my SD Panny from years ago, but the first one "refuses" to die.
I had the x700 from Sony it was a good player but the Panasonic imo just gives me a slightly better picture and i dont even use the optimizer I don't feel the need to as much with the oled

Sargon 1 likes this.
post #4890 of 6873 Old 05-28-2020, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
I switched it to 1080p since it was a 1080p movie. Thats how I normally watch movies. I set it to whatever the native resolutions are accordingly

I've found that playing around with those settings does yield a different look and depth.
I can't remember off hand, but there is something like 1080, 4K, and auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page