2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 165 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6219Likes

post #4921 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
however there are also foolish people out there who put tv's over fireplaces or adjacent to door sized windows and watch hdr, that is completely the wrong way (at least if you are interested in critical evaluation of picture quality).
Go up to your average people buying TVs at your local electronics store. See how many know what HDR and SDR are...
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3113 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
Quote:
'dark' room can be used to imply either of those lighting conditions, like i pointed out.
Redundant as nobody was saying otherwise. My whole point was about pitch black viewing.

Quote:
and just because some people feel eye strain does not mean everyone does, i have no eye strain, and like i said the main benefit i find is it gives a floating blacks kind of effect (with sdr too), which is not there if i put some light source in there. and i dont buy this 'permanent damage risks' theory, everyone's visual acuity is different. i have seen one of the demo's on stacey spear's hdr disc that is mastered upto 10000 nits in the pitch black room i have. my eyesight is still intact.
The video you watched may have been mastered at 10,000nits, but I guarantee you didn't view it at that level and in a pitch black room. You need to realize 10,000nits display output is a goal, but doesn't exist in the market. What you watched was tone mapped to the display output. If you do not understand the material, do not post false information... Please.
ataneruo and Palewing like this.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-28-2020 at 03:41 PM.
post #4923 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Redundant as nobody was saying otherwise. My whole point was about pitch black viewing.

Ok this is why I stress that we need to fix the assumptions. The video you watched may have been mastered at 10,000nits, but I guarantee you didn't view it at that level and in a pitch black room. You need to realize 10,000nits output is a goal, but doesn't exist in the market. What you watched was tone mapped to the display output. Please. If you do not understand the material, do not post false information.
So a 10000 nit display that doesn't even exist in the market, you already know that it could lead to permanent damage risks that's some great scientific evidence you have right there.

peralatan saya
marten, rogue audio (hifi) bowers and wilkins, belles, onkyo, jl audio, sony, auralex, furutech (ht)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4924 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So a 10000 nit display that doesn't even exist in the market, you already know that it could lead to permanent damage risks that's some great scientific evidence you have right there.
Stand in a pitch black room. Open your eyes up real wide. Wait a few moments. Now turn on a light in your direct view that is 10,000nits(these do exist) and tell me how it feels. If you are going to continue this conversation then I suggest you do some research. Arguments from ignorance only makes things worse.
ataneruo likes this.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-28-2020 at 03:47 PM.
post #4925 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Stand in a pitch black room. Open your eyes up real wide. Wait a few moments. Now turn on a light in your direct view that is 10,000nits(these do exist) and tell me how it feels.
Or how about staring at the sun? Yeah, it never got me any permanent damage risk. You are doing nothing but speculating, you are trying to make a claim about human vision, but you dont have any scientific evidence to back it up. Speculation is not evidence. So kindly drop it.

And i've heard these arguments before , 10000 nits could damage the vision, the people cannot present evidence to support it.

peralatan saya
marten, rogue audio (hifi) bowers and wilkins, belles, onkyo, jl audio, sony, auralex, furutech (ht)
post #4926 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Or how about staring at the sun?Yeah, it never got me any permanent damage risk. You are doing nothing but speculating, you are trying to make a claim about human vision, but you dont have any scientific evidence to back it up. Speculation is not evidence. So kindly drop it.
Now you are just intentionally being naive. I stared at the sun too, when I was young and dumb. I was lucky not to damage my eyes. Now I'm more educated. There are many factual reports of people that incurred permanent damage from doing this. Playing Russian roulette with your eyes is not very intelligent.

This is not speculation. Look at the warnings on extremely bright lights. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the reasons why they exist.
ataneruo likes this.
post #4927 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
All that's there now is a message saying it's been removed by a moderator - so, what did it say?

It was basically a troll post bashing cx owners for being suckers and paying for a nerfed c9...and being sheep buying into LG’s marketing about it being the ultimate oled/gaming tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk and dfa973 like this.

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
post #4928 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob D. View Post
hi D-nice, I have sent you a private mail, I would be happy to hear an honest opinion from you! thank you
"P-R-I-V-A-T-E"? Eh? (Wha. . . well!):

No wait! I thought this WAS D-Nice's private email! (He's THAT popular.)

You mean others can actually SEE all of THIS???
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-28-2020 at 04:02 PM.
post #4929 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
It was basically a troll post bashing cx owners for being suckers and paying for a nerfed c9...and being sheep buying into LG’s marketing about it being the ultimate oled/gaming tv
Did Quantum TV write it?! Sounds like something he would do!
saiyanzzrage and Fonzerrelli like this.

LG 77CX OLED | Sony 75x900e
Sony STR-DN1080
Panasonic DP-UP820 | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | Nintendo Switch
post #4930 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skschatzman
Now you are just intentionally being naive. I stared at the sun too, when I was young and dumb. I was lucky not to damage my eyes. Now I'm more educated. There are many factual reports of people that incurred permanent damage from doing this. Playing Russian roulette with your eyes is not very intelligent.
lol ok, appreciate your opthamology skills, but my vision is just fine. im not going to drag this any more as this is a CX owners' thread .
Cam1977 and skschatzman like this.

peralatan saya
post #4931 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3387 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
^great we can get back to learning more about the CX and not staring into the sun🤣
post #4932 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFingTwist View Post
Did Quantum TV write it?! Sounds like something he would do!

Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
post #4933 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
The opening scene from Hell or High Water is a good torture test. I remember that from a few years ago
Good, I thought it was just me when I watched that scene outside the bank.
post #4934 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
lol ok, appreciate your opthamology skills, but my vision is just fine. im not going to drag this any more as this is a CX owners' thread .
As all the "friendly sparks' that just went back and forth are "settling", I had wanted to say to you, before this got typically ramped up, is that your description of your black room, walls, ceiling, and carpet sounds absolutely AWESOME! Oh to have a movie environment like that. Nice!

(Just don't tell anyone, Okay? Promise!)

Back in the VT60 plasma days, people would put black tape around the frame of their tvs. We didn't want to see a thing.

To put it simply, I share your PREFERENCE. (Hopefully that will get past the "censors".)

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-28-2020 at 09:28 PM.
post #4935 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
I know what pitch black means. To repeat, HDR is mastered and intended to be viewed in a dark, but not fully black, environment. That's a fact, not an opinion.

You can of course watch in fully black conditions if you prefer, or direct sunlight if you prefer. You can do whatever you like for your taste. I already made that clear.
Quote:
As mrtickleuk stated pitch black and dark room are not the same thing.

It is very important that we break this assumption as we go into the age of infinite contrast ratio and rapidly increasing luminance output. The HDR formats are designed to support up to 10,000nits for the future to grow into. Right now we are seeing peaks of 3000nits with some TVs.

As we get closer to 10,000nits watching content mastered that intensely bright in a pitch black room could pose serious injury or permanent damage risks. This is the main reason HDR is mastered in a dark room with low ambient lighting. It allows our eyes to adjust to sharp changes in contrast much easier. Let's be careful not to spread false information.
I do not mean any disrespect with the addition of the following information (as it was mentioned previously with "that's a fact, not an opinion"):

A black piece of paper during a sunny day can be measure to reflect light at 1000 nits. ISO standards require there to be a luminance ratio of 10:1 between text and background, meaning that in the worst case scenario, a sepia tone piece of paper in a book with black text would probably measure 10000 nits; in practice, with common "whiter" pages, this is much, much higher. The argument of "800+ nits would cause severe eye injury" is far from true. Yes, reading for hours under direct sunlight during a sunny day is not ideal, but 800-1000 nits from a TV is relatively negligible compared to things that our eyes are subjected to on a daily basis. Eyes can adapt very easily to light changes before it's detrimental to our physiology.

Staring at a full moon, 2500 nits, will not cause any damage (at all). Looking at a typical tungsten-based filament lightbulb (low power, 20W) is still very tolarable at 10,000,000 nits. Part of what makes a bright sky beautiful is it's luminance (7000 nits; an illuminated white cloud can be around 10000 nits), and what about the sun itself during a beautiful sunset (600,000 nits): you can still look at the solar disk directly during a sunset, and you won't have any eye damage.

So if a display was capable of displaying a beautiful sunset scene making us squint, or see explosions of beautiful fireworks at night (~20,000 - 1,000,000 nits in a very dark background in real life) through a panel that we have in the living room, it would most certainly be amazing and NOT cause any eye strain. I really don't know if this debate stating that LEDs and QLEDs suck because the only selling point is the high brightness that attracts the dumb consumer, and that high nit values can actually hurt our health, comes from ignorance or just from a desire to fight. And again, I don't wanna offend anyone; I just want people to have more information.

I for one am enjoying the perfect blacks of OLED. Dark scenes do look great! I do miss the higher nit values of brighter scenes from my QLED, especially when 90%+ of the screen is bright. I must admit that what brought me to share this info with the thread is the use of the word "intended". A film maker might want us to see a sunset at 50 nits (at the theater), and an image purist might want to replicate that with the OLED light setting set to 27/100. I'm fine with both of those statements; like it's been said many times in this thread, we're free to do whatever we want, and picture quality and most importantly, its enjoyment, are completely subjective. But arguing that the luminance values of OLED are ideal and that anything brighter is dangerous...? or that HDR is already too bright to be watched in a pitch black room...?
Mofongo, ataneruo, j4894 and 5 others like this.
post #4936 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Wow a lot of debate happened around nits while I was typing my response. Gotta learn how to type quicker... or maybe let go and live a happier life
meli, Sargon 1 and dfa973 like this.
post #4937 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I am trying to decide between the LG CX and the Sony A8H.
How is the lip sync on the Lg CX? Any issues?
I assume that the motion and PQ is very similar.
I also like watching older 24frame movies, which would be better with that?
For gaming , I do plan on buying a next gen console for the 4K blu ray player and secondarily for gaming.
post #4938 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Gómez López View Post
Wow a lot of debate happened around nits while I was typing my response. Gotta learn how to type quicker... or maybe let go and live a happier life
Yeah, too much "nit picking"- me thinks.
dfa973, Soul_, iangreasby and 2 others like this.
post #4939 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice post, but my argument still holds true. The longer a person sits in a pitch black room, the larger the pupil becomes. This is to allow more light into the eye. The longer it stays in this position makes it take longer to get out of it. Anyone who has ever come out of a really dark room Into a really bright area should remember what this feels like and how long it takes for your eyes to adjust to the brighter environment. Closing your eyes and shielding them with your hands is a natural response. It can take nearly a minute to adjust.

Ambient lighting helps to prevent such a strenuous experience and makes it easier for the pupil to shift during large contrasting changes in the light output. I guarantee you if you sit in a pitch black room long enough and then turn on a 10,000nit light directly into your open eyes, there will be an equally natural reaction as stepping outside on a bright sunny day. It isn't good for the eyes to experience these massive back and forth shifts for lengthy amounts of time. This is why ambient lighting is important and will continue to be more important as brighter displays are created.
ataneruo likes this.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-28-2020 at 04:53 PM.
post #4940 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Kokalovic View Post
I am trying to decide between the LG CX and the Sony A8H.
How is the lip sync on the Lg CX? Any issues?
I assume that the motion and PQ is very similar.
I also like watching older 24frame movies, which would be better with that?
For gaming , I do plan on buying a next gen console for the 4K blu ray player and secondarily for gaming.
Th e li p sy nc is pe rfe ct.
Fonzerrelli likes this.
post #4941 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked: 4997
Quote:
that is the opposite of what d nice said few pages back in this thread. HDR is meant for dark room viewing. But not all people watch it that way.
I worked with the UHD Alliance before any HDR display was on the market. That includes specs and testing practices. HDR IS and always has been designed for dark room viewing. Does anyone see backlighting in Dolby Cinemas??? Why do you think that is? Come on now.

Not directed as you— just attaching my comment to your response.
post #4942 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
Th e li p sy nc is pe rfe ct.

I figure it’s bad ... or at least noticeable in the delay.
Is the Sony OLED better with lip sync then? Or is this an OLED issue in general?
Maybe a firmware update can fix this?
post #4943 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I worked with the UHD Alliance before any HDR display was on the market. That includes specs and testing practices. HDR IS and always has been designed for dark room viewing. Does anyone see backlighting in Dolby Cinemas??? Why do you think that is? Come on now.

Not directed as you— just attaching my comment to your response.
Projectors are always emitting light during a show. It never gets completely pitch black, even if was projecting a 0% IRE image. This is ambient light.
post #4944 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
As mrtickleuk stated pitch black and dark room are not the same thing.

It is very important that we break this assumption as we go into the age of infinite contrast ratio and rapidly increasing luminance output. The HDR formats are designed to support up to 10,000nits for the future to grow into. Right now we are seeing peaks of 3000nits with some TVs.

As we get closer to 10,000nits watching content mastered that intensely bright in a pitch black room could pose serious injury or permanent damage risks. This is the main reason HDR is mastered in a dark room with low ambient lighting. It allows our eyes to adjust to sharp changes in contrast much easier. Let's be careful not to spread false information.
10,000 nits was a huge discussion well before HDR hit the market. We will never see consumer displays hit 10,000 nits for specular highlights because of the litigation potential. It just is not going to happen.
Cam1977 and mrtickleuk like this.
post #4945 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6260 Post(s)
Liked: 9114
Quote:
Nice post, but my argument still holds true. The longer a person sits in a pitch black room, the larger the pupil becomes.
Right, so it becomes bigger and bigger - then both their eyes merge into one super-eye, then it becomes bigger than their head, then it doesn't fit in the room any more, then the house, it just keeps getting larger and larger!

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #4946 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right, so it becomes bigger and bigger - then both their eyes merge into one super-eye, then it becomes bigger than their head, then it doesn't fit in the room any more, then the house, it just keeps getting larger and larger!
yah you got me lol. It does take a long time to fully expand, but it doesn't go on forever as my post seems to imply. Good catch.
post #4947 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Projectors are always emitting light during a show. It never gets completely pitch black, even if was projecting a 0% IRE image. This is ambient light.
Have you been in a Dolby Cinema?
post #4948 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Have you been in a Dolby Cinema?
Yah when I lived in SoCal. It got dark, but it was never pitch black. They also do not come close to 10,000nits. Some scenes I had to shield my eyes.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-28-2020 at 05:08 PM.
post #4949 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
I really wish people would stop saying "rename the input to PC". The name does absolutely nothing.

Change the icon for the input to PC. That turns on PC mode. It will automatically rename it to PC as well but you can change that without turning off PC mode. Only the icon matters.
Calm down there man, we don't want you having a heart attack!
I only ever went into that menu once. I couldn't remember what i did, have some patience and understanding?

Turns out I had already set the icon to PC.

So I turned it back to HDMI4.

What difference am i supposed to see? I see same picture modes (it defaults to game picture mode in both cases), the EDID info reported to windows is the same? I see literally no difference on my CX between those two icons. Unless i am missing something.
athenaesword likes this.

A projector, some seats, a screen, oh a receiver and some speakers i guess, and a few consoles, an AT-AT, and a Millenium Falcon i need to unbox and have a display table made...

Last edited by scyto; 05-28-2020 at 05:14 PM.
post #4950 of 7533 Old 05-28-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob D. View Post
hi D-nice, I have sent you a private mail, I would be happy to hear an honest opinion from you! thank you
I replied.
Mofongo and Jakob D. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page