2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5945Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4981 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,748
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Both the CX and the C9 are the ultimate gaming TV's. They support all of the necessary features for modern gaming. CX is moreso based on the greater BFI capability.
Is this true, doesn't the new BFI won't work with HDR? Also didn't Vincent mention something about a hit to brightness?
Im thinking about picking up a 2nd OLED, trying to decide between the C9 and CX.

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
helvetica bold is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4982 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 07:33 PM
Newbie
 
MasterkillerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Gómez López View Post
Turning on your console or PC will make the TV engage Instant Game Response. This will NOT instantly switch your picture mode to Game Mode. It'll remain in whatever picture mode you're using. For PC I actually use Vivid. I turn on my PC, Instant Game Response turns ON automatically, and the Vivid picture mode remains the same.
Ok, thanks very much! I was worried thinking my Xbox might force Game Mode whenever I launch a game. I just know I'll wanna use other modes like Vivid (for HDR) and HDR Effect (for SDR) whenever I play games without having to change the picture mode every single time, because that would suck lol

Philips 326M6VJRMB monitor

Xbox One X
MasterkillerX is offline  
post #4983 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,608
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
Can we get an ophthalmologist to weigh in here - STAT!

We know you are here. Come out from the shadows now and do your part!

If not. . . I suppose an astronomer would do - in a pinch.

One thing for sure, I'm gonna quit staring at the sun.
On August 21, 2017 midday I stared at the sun's atmosphere for a bit more than 2 minutes and the stars and planets were easily visible. Someone in our group was wondering, where's the moon?
I'm going to do the same thing on 4/8/2024 for over 4 minutes if the weather cooperates.
Sargon 1 and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
venus933 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4984 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 26,398
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7622 Post(s)
Liked: 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Both the CX and the C9 are the ultimate gaming TV's. They support all of the necessary features for modern gaming. CX is moreso based on the greater BFI capability.
That certainly seems to be the case.......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #4985 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyto View Post
Calm down there man, we don't want you having a heart attack!
I only ever went into that menu once. I couldn't remember what i did, have some patience and understanding?
Easy there. That part was not directed at you. It was for the people that gave you the bad information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyto View Post
What difference am i supposed to see? I see same picture modes (it defaults to game picture mode in both cases), the EDID info reported to windows is the same? I see literally no difference on my CX between those two icons. Unless i am missing something.
It's mostly noticeable in small text with certain foreground and background colours. Also certain dithered colours are off.

It won't give any extra modes or options but some options will be disabled.
avernar is online now  
post #4986 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Sargon 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: The Forbidden Zone
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
On August 21, 2017 midday I stared at the sun's atmosphere for a bit more than 2 minutes and the stars and planets were easily visible. Someone in our group was wondering, where's the moon?
I'm going to do the same thing on 4/8/2024 for over 4 minutes if the weather cooperates.
I think we just found our astronomer.

I'm starting to comprehend your avatar.

Venus before sunrise. To be honest, I'm a Mars FREAK. I love that atmosphere, albeit thin. The color Mars surface pics with the smaller sun looks just like daylight here. Omg. Love that stuff! Martian mornings, noon, and sunsets!!!! I hope they do that "one-way" trip in my lifetime.

I admit, I "peeked" at the recent annular eclipse. It was so cool watching the shadowy 3D orange moon passing in front of the sun.
I "peeked"- for 5 seconds. Time literally stood still for me. An EPIC moment. (5 seconds too long. But my safety glasses just weren't cuttin it for me). Australia this time and wasn't it Oregon the last time?

Yeah, when I said I was gonna quit staring at the sun - I wasn't kidding!

PLEASE. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! (First walk outside your house, and THEN do it.).

- "Venus and Mars are alright tonight" - Paul McCartney
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mars.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	2734014  

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-28-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Sargon 1 is offline  
post #4987 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 09:55 PM
Member
 
Soul_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quick question:

We have verified that 4k120 @4:4:4 12bit is a no go. But can we still use 4k100 @4:4:4 12 bit? This would require same bandwidth (40Gbps) as 4k120 @4:4:4 10bit, so theoretically it should work. And if it does, 100hz is pretty good, allowing us to not miss 120hz at all.

Can someone verify or validate it?

Last edited by Soul_; 05-28-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Soul_ is offline  
post #4988 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_ View Post
Quick question:

We have verified that 4k120 @4:4:4 12bit is a no go. But can we still use 4k100 @4:4:4 12 bit? This would require same bandwidth (40Gbps) as 4k120 @4:4:4 10bit, so theoretically it should work. And if it does, 100hz is pretty good, allowing us to not miss 120hz at all.
On a console and a PC without a custom resolution the answer is no. On a PC with a custom resolution the answer is yes, assuming the TV accepts the timings.

As you can see here:

Code:
    VIC 118:  3840x2160  120.000 Hz  16:9   270.000 kHz 1188.000 MHz
    VIC 117:  3840x2160  100.000 Hz  16:9   225.000 kHz 1188.000 MHz
Both 100Hz and 120Hz use the same pixel clock and thus the same bandwidth. This is because the Htotal for 100Hz is 5280 and for 120Hz it's 4400. So 4k 100Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12bit and 4k 110Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12bit will both use 48.11Gbps.

If you use the Htotal value of 4400 with 100Hz then 4k 100Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12bit will take up 40.10Gbps. But this is a custom non standard resolution.
Yappadappadu and Soul_ like this.

Last edited by avernar; 05-28-2020 at 10:34 PM.
avernar is online now  
post #4989 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 11:03 PM
Senior Member
 
rajendra82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
Can we get an ophthalmologist to weigh in here - STAT!
He is busy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashar_al-Assad
Sargon 1 likes this.

Last edited by rajendra82; 05-28-2020 at 11:12 PM.
rajendra82 is online now  
post #4990 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 11:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Sargon 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: The Forbidden Zone
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
"Your an ophthalmologist, can you read this...." (Very catchy!) Never heard/saw this song before. Too funny!
(Oops! It went bye-bye).
Sargon 1 is offline  
post #4991 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 11:14 PM
Senior Member
 
rajendra82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
"Your an ophthalmologist, can you read this...." (Very catchy!) Never heard/saw this song before. Too funny!
(Oops! It went bye-bye).
Here it is without restrictions:

Sargon 1 likes this.
rajendra82 is online now  
post #4992 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 11:38 PM
Member
 
Soul_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
On a console and a PC without a custom resolution the answer is no. On a PC with a custom resolution the answer is yes, assuming the TV accepts the timings.

As you can see here:

Code:
    VIC 118:  3840x2160  120.000 Hz  16:9   270.000 kHz 1188.000 MHz
    VIC 117:  3840x2160  100.000 Hz  16:9   225.000 kHz 1188.000 MHz
Both 100Hz and 120Hz use the same pixel clock and thus the same bandwidth. This is because the Htotal for 100Hz is 5280 and for 120Hz it's 4400. So 4k 100Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12bit and 4k 110Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12bit will both use 48.11Gbps.

If you use the Htotal value of 4400 with 100Hz then 4k 100Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12bit will take up 40.10Gbps. But this is a custom non standard resolution.
Terrific answer avernar. Thank you. Do we know why HTotal for 100Hz would be 5280?

Additionally as you described, do we have a way to validate if CX would take 4400 Htotal with 100Hz?
Soul_ is offline  
post #4993 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 11:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
what's the deal with bluetooth connectivity? can I connect any bluetooth speaker to this tv? may buy a soundbar but not right away. Curious if my little jbl bluetooth speaker would work with the cx model? looking into the 48 inch
tybittz k is offline  
post #4994 of 7021 Old 05-28-2020, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 1514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_ View Post
Terrific answer avernar. Thank you. Do we know why HTotal for 100Hz would be 5280?

Additionally as you described, do we have a way to validate if CX would take 4400 Htotal with 100Hz?
That's the way they defined it in the CTA-861 standard. I don't know why they did it that way. It's the same thing for 50Hz and 60Hz.

Not until the new video cards with at least 40Gbps ports come out.
Soul_ likes this.
avernar is online now  
post #4995 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 01:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
How is the beta firmware? Do u notice any major improvements that was once reported here? Are the black level issues still finicky or fixed?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I hope they fix the black levels in DV, when I was watching some Netflix last night I noticed very slightly grey bars, lowered to 49 fixed it.

This was via the Apple TV 4k, and I'm unsure where the issues lay with that.

But if lowering to 49 is the current fix in general, I hope LG fix this, not everyone would know of this quick fix and we shouldn't have to lower brightness.

Not sure if HDR10 is effected as well, not watched enough content to test.
gunner842 is offline  
post #4996 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 01:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
So, I've calibrated enough CX's and spoke to LG to give some guidance.

1) Your new 2020 LG will probably have some screen retention from the factory so I recommend to do at least one pixel refresh. If you still see some very slight banding, you can do another pixel refresh or just use the set, it probably will fade over time. If it doesn't then get another set.
2) After about 10 hours look at Full white, earth tones, greens, and especially hockey or a snow video to see if you have any noticeable tinting. If it's very very slight, then you are ok and it may fade even more over time. I've seen this happen contrary to everything I know about tinting, on one of my CXs. Although some report perfect panels, although they do exist, they are not common no matter how many sets you try. For example, I rather have a set with slight banding virtually no tinting and good black levels. You probably will not get a panel that has everything perfect, this is the way it is with this technology.
3) You may notice more black detail after a pixel refresh when the set is new.
4) If you are getting raised HDR blacks and not calibrating, then your only remedy is to lower the black level from 50 to 49. This should take care of it. If you calibrate, you shouldn't see raised blacks. If you do, go back and look at your calibration and make any appropriate changes. LG knows what caused this and it's fixed on the 2020 LGs. I can't comment on what's going to happen with 2018 and 2019 LGs. It may or may not be fixed. The remedy for these sets is to calibrate the gray scale manually, or set the Warm WP in the service menu. Just don't load a new 1D LUT.
5) You are going to see raised blacks with DV content OOTB. Again, until there is a fix from LG, use the black level to remedy this or calibrate. You will still be able to measure some slight raised luminance but visually it will be fine. This will be fixed at some point as well.
6) There is no DTS or DTS pass through support via ARC or eARC. Not supported, not a bug.
7) The 55 inch sets seem to measure similar to the 2019 HDR peak luminance. Your measurement OOTB will depend how the set was calibrated from the factory and your panel. After calibration, depending on the White point you use, the value should be anywhere from 650-740 nits, just like last year. The 65 inch sets so far seem to measure slightly less peak luminance. I haven't measured enough 65's to make a definitive statement but I believe this may be the case. Either way visually, you shouldn't be able to discern a difference unless you have a reference to compare to and the LGs HDR is always very bright anyway so this shouldn't be a problem. As far as Dynamic Tone Mapping, turn it on or off, everyone has their own opinion on this. Use whatever looks best for you. If you calibrate, the tendency is to turn DTM off.
8) The new SDR and HDR Filmmaker Picture Modes are just another Picture Mode without any of the picture processing turned on. I can't see any difference from the ISF PMs or HDR Cinema and i believe D-Nice confirmed this in his testing. It can be calibrated instead of ISF Dark and HDR Cinema since we go in these PMs and turn off all the picture processing anyway. You can turn on any picture processing you want thought so it seems like a good option. Also if we ever get the FM PM trigger, you have that PM calibrated. You can turn the trigger off in the user menu.

I know some of what i'm reporting is counter intuitive to much of what we have seen on past LGs which is why i'm posting this. I really don't think the 2020 LGs have a ton of problems as some may make it seem as in past years. Based on what I know the near black issues have been taken care of with LGs dithering process. It was further refined on the 2020 sets and i think what we have now is the way it's going to be. As the set gets to 200+ hours I've noticed the PQ improves, less banding and slightly less tinting if it's visible overall. I understand we should be seeing a significant firmware update soon which is supposed to remedy some issues and make some improvements. As always we will need to wait and see.

Nothing is 100% but just use these observations and what D-Nice has posted as a guide. As for gaming, there is plenty of information on that.
Good info, on the points about raised black in DV or HDR in general and lowering to brightness to 49 as a fix, do you think LG will possibly fix this in the next firmware or in the future, I mean its all good lowering to 49 but we shouldn't need to do this.
No one should have raised blacks on an oled, be it non calibrated or calibrated.

I have only noticed raised blacks in DV so far on my uncalibrated set, and 49 fixes it but I would rather LG just fixed it altogether so we don't need to make the adjustment.
Sargon 1 and jrref like this.
gunner842 is offline  
post #4997 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 03:46 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So my 65GX has arrived. Finally replacing a 12 year old LCD. Other than the above post can anyone point me to any specific information within these threads on things to get me up and running quicker? I've been scrolling for what feels like hours trying to find some useful tips. I find you get a little forumblind scrolling through some of the discussions within this post!

Happy to report back anything that anyone has been wondering about the set or things it does behavior wise once it is on the wall tonight.
y2jez is offline  
post #4998 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 04:01 AM
Senior Member
 
tb123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Australia
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone had issues where HDMI devices stop working / connecting?

I have connected
HDMI 1 - ATV 4K
HDMI 2 - Denon 4500H
HDMI 3 - Beyonwiz STB DVR

Last night I turned the STB on and selected HDMI 3 and nothing, had to turn TV off/on to get a picture.
Tonight tried the same, nothing. Reboot TV, reboot STB, power off STB, tried HDMI 1/2 and nothing.

Had to power everything off at the wall for a while to get things going again
tb123 is offline  
post #4999 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 04:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
Anyone had issues where HDMI devices stop working / connecting?

I have connected
HDMI 1 - ATV 4K
HDMI 2 - Denon 4500H
HDMI 3 - Beyonwiz STB DVR

Last night I turned the STB on and selected HDMI 3 and nothing, had to turn TV off/on to get a picture.
Tonight tried the same, nothing. Reboot TV, reboot STB, power off STB, tried HDMI 1/2 and nothing.

Had to power everything off at the wall for a while to get things going again
I did have a few hdmi device issues at first, but since updating to 3.00.60 a few weeks have gone by and everything has been fine. I did also swap out all cables for premium certified ones as well just to be sure.
gunner842 is offline  
post #5000 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 222

Vincent’s c9 and cx comparison


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjmnews and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
saiyanzzrage is online now  
post #5001 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 04:25 AM
Senior Member
 
tb123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Australia
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
I did have a few hdmi device issues at first, but since updating to 3.00.60 a few weeks have gone by and everything has been fine. I did also swap out all cables for premium certified ones as well just to be sure.
I’ve been swapping cables in and out over a few weeks to try and sort out some eARC issues but haven’t touched them in a few now, this recent issue is the first time I’ve seen this behaviour.

I am also on 3.00.60 and using Premium Certified cables
tb123 is offline  
post #5002 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 04:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
https://youtu.be/FT5VK5YPTkc

Vincent’s c9 and cx comparison


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He mentions the just scan setting and he switches it off, is it ok to disable this now then?


I currently have it set at original with just scan on.

Last edited by gunner842; 05-29-2020 at 04:58 AM.
gunner842 is offline  
post #5003 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 04:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Sargon 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: The Forbidden Zone
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Just saw the C9/CX Vincent video. Very informative. Always look forward to his reviews.

Brightness is a priority for me, second to black levels. (No, not LED brightness at the expense of everything else). But if I have a choice between two OLED quality tvs, one with less aggressive ABL and a brighter tv, THAT would be the tipping factor for me. This was also a consideration when I was auditioning the Sony A9G.

Because of this, I'm very glad I got the C9.

Yes, we cannot go by the youtube video quality. But if the brightness difference that Vincent showed with regard to ABL and overall brightness is ANYTHING like what I see in the video, I definitely prefer the C9 over the CX.

(Vincent describes the differences as "slight". But as an OCD videophile, "slight" differences like this, whether on the bright end or the black level end of the spectrum, are always quite significant for me).

Based on early review/talk, I was expecting other differences between the two tvs to be more significant, but they weren't.

From the video, what stood out to me was:

The CX has the best motion and upscaling. (I wonder how much the SD overscan off feature comes into play here).

The C9 has the best brightness and least black level issues - (floating black levels).

It sounds like they are both great tvs. (Something I already knew).
Just pick your poison based on what is most important to you.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-29-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Sargon 1 is offline  
post #5004 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 05:01 AM
Newbie
 
DKKNGHT77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jez View Post
So my 65GX has arrived. Finally replacing a 12 year old LCD. Other than the above post can anyone point me to any specific information within these threads on things to get me up and running quicker? I've been scrolling for what feels like hours trying to find some useful tips. I find you get a little forumblind scrolling through some of the discussions within this post!

Happy to report back anything that anyone has been wondering about the set or things it does behavior wise once it is on the wall tonight.
Congrats! I’m looking at getting one too. Can’t decide on a wall mount or media stand.

Does it come with the panel covers in the back?

For the power cable, where does it come out on the back?

Did you use LGs wall mount?

Any banding or tinting noticeable on the panel?


I’m hoping as they diversify their panels this year it might be from a better yield as part of the pricing however minor. Thanks!
DKKNGHT77 is offline  
post #5005 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 05:26 AM
Member
 
andykara2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just out of interest does anyone use the “AI brightness control” setting? It just dims the brightness based on ambient light, but I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of using it are.
andykara2003 is offline  
post #5006 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
So, I've calibrated enough CX's and spoke to LG to give some guidance.

1) Your new 2020 LG will probably have some screen retention from the factory so I recommend to do at least one pixel refresh. If you still see some very slight banding, you can do another pixel refresh or just use the set, it probably will fade over time. If it doesn't then get another set.
2) After about 10 hours look at Full white, earth tones, greens, and especially hockey or a snow video to see if you have any noticeable tinting. If it's very very slight, then you are ok and it may fade even more over time. I've seen this happen contrary to everything I know about tinting, on one of my CXs. Although some report perfect panels, although they do exist, they are not common no matter how many sets you try. For example, I rather have a set with slight banding virtually no tinting and good black levels. You probably will not get a panel that has everything perfect, this is the way it is with this technology.
3) You may notice more black detail after a pixel refresh when the set is new.
So its safe to run a full scale pixel refresh out of the box? Granted this is my first OLED, but everything ive read when researching said not to run it as shortens the panel life and reduces brightness?

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion

Last edited by saiyanzzrage; 05-29-2020 at 05:36 AM.
saiyanzzrage is online now  
post #5007 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 6,433
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5332 Post(s)
Liked: 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
So its safe to run a full scale pixel refresh out of the box? Granted this is my first OLED, but everything ive read when researching said not to run it as shortens the panel life and reduces brightness?
Yes, just run it for about 25 hrs then do it. It will not damage the panel or reduce brightness. On the CX i've found it may increase your peak brightness which is different behavior from previous years LGs.
athenaesword and saiyanzzrage like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #5008 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 6,433
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5332 Post(s)
Liked: 6542
Another excellent video from Vincent Teoh. Well thought out and executed! I'm glad he's confirmed what many of us observed when we first got the set.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #5009 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 05:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Anyone know whats causing the jaggies on lettering and logos at start of shows, via apple tv 4k box, on the CX netflix internal app its smooth.

Tried loads of settings and no change.

If I pause, the screen dims slightly and the jaggies disappear, but once the TV brightness again the jaggies reappear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2734050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1075.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	2734052  
gunner842 is offline  
post #5010 of 7021 Old 05-29-2020, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tjcinnamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,497
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Is this true, doesn't the new BFI won't work with HDR? Also didn't Vincent mention something about a hit to brightness?
Im thinking about picking up a 2nd OLED, trying to decide between the C9 and CX.
I think BFI is somewhat irrelevant with VRR. If the choice is between VRR or BFI, I'll take VRR all day.

Brightness does take a hit but motion is improved. The BFI implementation in the C9 is basically not usable at 60Hz. However, the 120Hz CX version is better but I don't hear as much praise as I thought I would have after release.
mrtickleuk likes this.

77" C9 + NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.6.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Subs1: 2x LRK Build Thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged); retired: VRK Build thread
Subs2: 2x Rythmik LVX12; 2x Dayton HF 12's Ultra-NearField + Crown XLS 2002
MiniDSP HD & Non; DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
tjcinnamon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off