2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 169 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6251Likes

post #5041 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked: 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob D. View Post
D-nice one more question, are you using the awp purely for SDR or also for HDR / DV on C9/CX ?
I use it for everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked: 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Ok. In the same spirit I will say this. First off, it's not the "correct choice". It's your personal preference. It might be the best thing for you, but I would try to avoid using the word "correct" when it comes to personal preferences vs scientific standards

You are always free to view your content it in a different environment if you prefer. Pitch black, direct sunlight, do what you like. Having a discussion about what you prefer is fine, but it is an endless discussion which I refuse to take part in. I have zero interest in what other people's personal viewing preferences are, or how they came to those preferences. They are personal to all of us.
True, no one else except a few visitors are coming into your house. Pick whats best for you and call it a day......
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #5043 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you have a C9 correct? Is it necessary to enable PC Mode to get 4:4:4 still, and if so, what's the downside (ie increase to input lag, etc)?
Yes. But this applies to the C9 and CX. Downside is that you see more banding as all extra processing is shut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
And for any that have a CX, or one of the pro calibrators, can you clear up what Vincent is talking about when he says at the beginning of the vid that you no longer need to enable PC Mode for 4:4:4, but then at the end of the video seems to contradict this and imply that you do?
See this post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59725052

There was no mention of 4:4:4 at the beginning.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by avernar; 05-29-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5044 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I use it for everything
Thank you
post #5045 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Every single setting in my post can be used. That is why I posted them
Im buying another C9, do you think I can use your CX settings because they're so close or thats pushing it?
Also what is "awp"?

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #5046 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Yes. But this applies to the C9 and CX. Downside is that you see more banding as all extra processing is shut off.

See this post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59725052

There was no mention of 4:4:4 at the beginning.
Thanks for the reply and the link to the other post, but still not sure what he means. At around 9:50 he says PC mode doesn't have to be engaged to get full chroma. I've never heard anything other than 444 referred to as full chroma.

post #5047 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6261 Post(s)
Liked: 9117
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Also what is "awp"?
"alternative white point". This is a big topic. It's a way of calibrating such that the white looks more like the D65 white you'd get from another "reference" display like a CRT or a plasma. Because of the effect of Metamerism (google it) and the narrow bandwidth of R,G,B,W light coming off the subpixels of an OLED, it means that even if you had the most accurate calibration in the world, and the measurements proved it was a perfect D65, to your human eyes it would still "look" wrong. An Alternative White Point is a bit like an "offset", to bring the whole calibration back to looking like a perfect D65 on a Plasma would look.

Different display technologies both being perfectly calibrated, yet looking different to the eye when you put them next to each other, is a bit mind-boggling. It's down to the way the eyes is tricked into thinking that mixtures of RGB are colours, when they are not really. Your eyes only ever see 3 colours coming off the screen (4 if it's a WOLED).

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 05-29-2020 at 12:46 PM.
post #5048 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
"alternative white point". This is a big topic. It's a way of calibrating such that the white looks more like the D65 white you'd get from another "reference" display like a CRT or a plasma. Because of the effect of Metamerism (google it) and the narrow bandwidth of R,G,B,W light coming off the subpixels of an OLED, it means that even if you had the most accurate calibration in the world, and the measurements proved it was a perfect D65, to your human eyes it would still "look" wrong. An Alternative White Point is a bit like an "offset", to bring the whole calibration back to looking like a perfect D65 on a Plasma would look.

Different display technologies both being perfectly calibrated, yet looking different to the eye when you put them next to each other, is a bit mind-boggling. It's down to the way the eyes is tricked into thinking that mixtures of RGB are colours, when they are not really. Your eyes only ever see 3 colours coming off the screen (4 if it's a WOLED).
Ha of course! My C9 using a AWP just didn't recognize the acronym. What do you think about using those settings on a C9?

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #5049 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Anyone knows if its intentional on the CX that sharpness has no effect for HDR and DV content but works fine with SDR content ?
post #5050 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does anyone know how to display the current refresh rate? When I click on the display information (using the ellipses button), I only get current resolution and audio format. Sometimes it feels like the refresh rate switching isn't working properly on my Shield.
post #5051 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Vincent's measurements and verbal explanation about the differences between the C9 and CX are meaningful. I also realize that attempting to make generalizations and conclusions from the "visual" comparison between the to tvs, given they are going through youtube are meaningless.

Having said this, I wanted to share something I did notice after rewatching his video that was consistent with every side by side comparison.

The CX "appears" to be more DIMENSIONAL looking in every side by side image. For example, if you look at Matt Dameon on Mars in his space suit, there is an unmistakable 3D dimensionality to it. IF people are seeing this in front on their CX's, I would say that the look is very compelling.

I'm a severe film traditionalist, and yet, I acknowledge that film, it's look, and tv tech is evolving. Very few movies are even made with film anymore. But I confess that, while the CX images don't have as much of a flat film-look, they look really, really nice.

I also consistently noticed that, while the C9's images were brighter, the CX's images appeared a bit more balanced. The C9 looked ever so slightly washed out in comparison. (Again, I realize that youtube's processing and limitations are in complete control of what I'm observing.)

This for me is the big positive take away from the CX. The tv "appears" to have a look that draws or pulls me into what i'm viewing. Conversely, the brightness of my C9 projects in such a way that it too grabs my attention in a cinematic way.

I DO prefer the brightness and less aggressive ABL of the C9, but the CX is offering it's own set of "wonderment".

Of course, I'm not sure what the real-life "take-away" is here.
I don't know if you dual C9 / CX owners can confirm any of this, thus making it credible.

Curious.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-29-2020 at 02:38 PM.
post #5052 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Production issues with Corona Virus.

77GX getting delivered tomorrow! So fired up. Finally!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5053 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 6566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
Vincent's measurements and verbal explanation about the differences between the C9 and CX are meaningful. I also realize that attempting to make generalizations and conclusions from the "visual" comparison between the to tvs, given they are going through youtube are meaningless.

Having said this, I wanted to share something I did notice after rewatching his video that was consistent with every side by side comparison.

The CX "appears" to be more DIMENSIONAL looking in every side by side image. For example, if you look at Matt Dameon on Mars in his space suit, there is an unmistakable 3D dimensionality to it. IF people are seeing this in front on their CX's, I would say that the look is very compelling.

I'm a severe film traditionalist, and yet, I acknowledge that film, it's look, and tv tech is evolving. Very few movies are even made with film anymore. But I confess that, while the CX images don't have as much of a flat film-look, they look really, really nice.

I also consistently noticed that, while the C9's images were brighter, the CX's images appeared a bit more balanced. The C9 looked ever so slightly washed out in comparison. (Again, I realize that youtube's processing and limitations are in complete control of what I'm observing.)

This for me is the big positive take away from the CX. The tv "appears" to have a look that draws or pulls me into what i'm viewing.

I DO prefer the brightness and less aggressive ABL of the C9, but the CX is offering it's own set of "wonderment".

Of course, I'm not sure what the real-life "take-away" is here.
I don't know if you dual C9 / CX owners can confirm any of this, thus making it credible.

Curious.
I said a lot of this when i first got my CX when everyone was saying, no, it's just a C9 with BFI motion processing. I'm glad Vincent confirmed a lot of what we saw when we got these sets about a month ago.
zeromothra and Sargon 1 like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #5054 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Ha of course! My C9 using a AWP just didn't recognize the acronym. What do you think about using those settings on a C9?
I've seen your post in the other thread. My opinion is that you shouldn't. It's a different model. Copy the safe stuff (not the white balance) if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman9 View Post
Does anyone know how to display the current refresh rate? When I click on the display information (using the ellipses button), I only get current resolution and audio format. Sometimes it feels like the refresh rate switching isn't working properly on my Shield.
Sadly, you can't display the current refresh rate on that option. Same problem on my 2018 C8. It saddens me that they won't improve this. Even my old crappy Samsung showed the refresh rate of the incoming signal, and whether it was interlaced or not.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #5055 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman9 View Post

Go to the 3rd menu channels and press 5 times 11111 which will give you the HDMI menu . Its explained in the first post here
mrtickleuk and saiyanzzrage like this.
post #5056 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrztt View Post
Go to the 3rd menu channels and press 5 times 11111 which will give you the HDMI menu . Its explained in the first post here
You beat me to that before I could add that tip to my post. How I wish the C8 had that HDMI info page, but it doesn't .

post #5057 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
You beat me to that before I could add that tip to my post. How I wish the C8 had that HDMI info page, but it doesn't .
Hehe i have an older C7 and how i wish it had it
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #5058 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I said a lot of this when i first got my CX when everyone was saying, no, it's just a C9 with BFI motion processing. I'm glad Vincent confirmed a lot of what we saw when we got these sets about a month ago.
Yes. But I don't recall him talking about either this dimensionality or the more balanced brightness that I noticed on the CX.

Matt Dameon in his space suit on Mars that I was mentioning - Vincent put this up for the sole purpose to show the difference in smooth gradiation between the sets. But as I was watching this, the dimensionality (whether real or youtube distorted), was screaming at me. Also, the luminosity of every CX slide "appeared" more balanced, providing a richer, more focused look.

IF I'm correct, there are more advancements on these sets than is even being discussed by some reviewers or being acknowledged beyond the con/pro - 48/40, BFI, 120, motion improvements, pixel variation, ABL, brightness, upscaling, etc.
(I probably simply missed some posts that have already independently discussed what I have noticed with an actual accurate frame of reference. Based on your response to my post, it is clear that I need to go back and re-read your earlier posts about this jrref. I look forward to it).

Without Vincent speaking to this and without me having an actual CX in front of me, my youtube observations are quite meaningless. But the consistency of what I was observing did compel me to point this out and inquire about it.

Can you confirm/refute adjust the two things I am seeing on this mirage called youtube? Very curious. (Thanks in advance).
saiyanzzrage likes this.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-29-2020 at 03:59 PM.
post #5059 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Jjrref any new updates or opinions on the beta firmware. Still on the c9 vs cx debate, im a gamer and it sounds like the c9 is the safer purchase. But a visible difference in pq might sway people in my same boat. I also hope the hdr brightness in the cx being lower is moreso because of panel differences. But its surprising that both HDTV and rtings reported the same findings.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #5060 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I hear there’s going to be an update for the Cx/GX in June that improves HDR. Does anyone know anything about this? I’m new to all this - where would I go to keep abreast of firmware updates and what they do? I understand it’s a bit of a minefield as occasionally firmware is released that can downgrade the image of a TV..
post #5061 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
My 4-year old C6 can still beat any new model in "3D dimensionality". I just need to put on my 3D glasses.
post #5062 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrztt View Post
Thanks, a bit weird that it's hidden so deeply, especially for a TV touted for film enthusiasts. I'm also used to my previous Samsung making this info available in the normal input information screen (just press OK).
post #5063 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Was really looking forward to using the 48” model as a computer monitor but not being able to select 12 bit @4K 120Hz is disappointing for us PC gamers.

Perhaps next year we’ll see an actual improvement to the C9 model.
post #5064 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can anyone link me to D-nice settings i try finding it but couldn't find it.
post #5065 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post
Can anyone link me to D-nice settings i try finding it but couldn't find it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
MasterkillerX likes this.
post #5066 of 7590 Old 05-29-2020, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What is correct aspect ratio and just scan setting? I can’t find or tell the difference between 16x9 or original. 16x9 was default. And just scan I’ve always left on for all my TVs no matter the manufacturer term to turn overscan off but somewhere I read mentioned it’s recommended to turn just scan off. That zooms in and enables overscan though and I always was under the impression that’s bad. I’ve never seen noise on the edges and I like to see the whole picture and not zoomed in.
post #5067 of 7590 Old 05-30-2020, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverking View Post
What is correct aspect ratio and just scan setting? I can’t find or tell the difference between 16x9 or original. 16x9 was default. And just scan I’ve always left on for all my TVs no matter the manufacturer term to turn overscan off but somewhere I read mentioned it’s recommended to turn just scan off. That zooms in and enables overscan though and I always was under the impression that’s bad. I’ve never seen noise on the edges and I like to see the whole picture and not zoomed in.
Original or 16:9 with just scan on.

I prefer to use original as then you get the correct aspect ratio for older TV shows in 4:3.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #5068 of 7590 Old 05-30-2020, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzkbug View Post
My 4-year old C6 can still beat any new model in "3D dimensionality". I just need to put on my 3D glasses.
The 3D LG OLED is something I regret missing.
I own many 3D movies. Most are only available in Europe now and are region free. So I buy imports.

I have Panasonic plasma tvs that are great with motion and the 3D looks great, but the brightness of the OLED with 3D must be really nice. Samsung 3D hurt my eyes and movie theatre 3D was too blurry. No comparison to how it looks on my plasma.

Are they all curved? How many years were they made? Active or passive 3D? 4K tvs?

When Sony came out with their first 4k tv, it was 3D. 4k was supposed to transform 3D by providing full 1080 resolution without the need for lower res interlaced video with passive glasses or darker active glasses.
But (sigh), we know how that all turned out . . .

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-30-2020 at 02:55 AM.
post #5069 of 7590 Old 05-30-2020, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykara2003 View Post
I hear there’s going to be an update for the Cx/GX in June that improves HDR. Does anyone know anything about this? I’m new to all this - where would I go to keep abreast of firmware updates and what they do? I understand it’s a bit of a minefield as occasionally firmware is released that can downgrade the image of a TV..
You can 'enable' test\beta Firmware through Service Menu but I strongly advice against it! You can no longer roll back to previous firmware. You can get stuck on a beta firmware which has higher version number than public firmware (you can install a firmware with higher version number only) .Even if the beta is older it might have a higher number version and you will not be able to install new public firmware with lower version number until LG releases a public FW with higher number.

There are no change logs for Beta Firmware so you can't know what is changed but you can read reports from those who installed them (although I saw someone managed to extract Change log from C9 beta firmware, I wonder how?)

I am stuck on my previous 65C8 with a Beta firmware and already missed 2 public firmware updates which are newer with important fixes .

So better stay away from test firmware

TV : LG OLED 65CX [U]
PC: CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X @43.50GHz ; GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8G ;Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB (2X16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

Last edited by Dreamer2018; 05-30-2020 at 04:10 AM.
post #5070 of 7590 Old 05-30-2020, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2018 View Post
I am stuck on my previous 65C8 with a Beta firmware and already missed 2 public firmware updates which are newer with important fixes .

So better stay away from test firmware
I hope people heed your advice. I fear that they won't. If they don't, they are stupid.

I bet some newbie with only a few posts will come along, and wrongly tell people the Pure app lets you downgrade. That hasn't worked for a year.
npsacobra and dfa973 like this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 05-30-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page