2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 173 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6094Likes

post #5161 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
You really needed to quote the entire post just to add one line? Wow, well done, newbie and self-appointed thread policeman

The answer is that it's thread drift. I don't personally have anything much more to add on that topic you'll be pleased to know. It's something I found fascinating when I first had access to HDR and started learning about the old re-releases, and I wanted to share that as well as correcting some completely wrong ideas. But I did it all in that single post (which you somehow felt the need to quote in full, without any trimming). So you'll be pleased to know that this little diversion is over, and you can get back to the hundreds of repetitive posts about 48Gbps vs 40Gbps and the same FAQs about whether 10 or 0 is "no sharpening", etc.
My comment was not really directed to you, it was primarily about information being posted from you as well as others that really has nothing to do about the topic of this thread. If you find it offensive, then so be it.

Not new to AVS. Been around for well over 10 years (just a new name) and got tired of the nitpicking and topics that get side railed, like this one and decided to move on. Resigned on to get info on new displays. Post plasma.

McIntosh MX121 McIntosh MC7205 Arial Acoustics Model 6 / Model 5 OPPO BDP-103
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Anyone know whats causing the jaggies on lettering and logos at start of shows, via apple tv 4k box, on the CX netflix internal app its smooth.

Tried loads of settings and no change.

If I pause, the screen dims slightly and the jaggies disappear, but once the TV brightness again the jaggies reappear.
I notice this when playing on my ps4 pro i was thinking it was the ps4 itself but seeing your post makes me wonder if its a undefeatable setting on the tv itself have u found a fix if there is one?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
post #5163 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
I notice this when playing on my ps4 pro i was thinking it was the ps4 itself but seeing your post makes me wonder if its a undefeatable setting on the tv itself have u found a fix if there is one?

I was only noticing it in Netflix via apple tv 4k, but I watched some more the other day and it was fine, I put it down to maybe buffering at the start of shows or possibly the reduced streaming bitrate here in the UK currently. Some content can look pretty poor at the moment here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5164 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 12:20 PM

Anyone using Cinema home with Ai brightness for Dolby Vision?

Wondered what your thoughts are on it.
post #5165 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
. . . So you'll be pleased to know that this little diversion is over, and you can get back to the hundreds of repetitive posts about 48Gbps vs 40Gbps and the same FAQs about whether 10 or 0 is "no sharpening", etc.
Now THAT was perfectly stated.

Never read anything that so aptly rang true.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-31-2020 at 02:15 PM.
post #5166 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Anyone using Cinema home with Ai brightness for Dolby Vision?

Wondered what your thoughts are on it.
Yes I do and I think it works brilliantly! I think it makes a lot of sense to compensate for ambient lighting when darkening the room is not an option.

However, it seems to me that the brightness AI only works with Dolby Vision. With all other (both SDR and HDR) content I have tried I see zero effect from turning on brightness AI. Has someone successfully used brightness AI outside of Dolby Vision? LG advertises it as a system-wide feature, and the option menu also suggests that it should work outside Dolby Vision, so I am very surprised.
gunner842 likes this.
post #5167 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKKNGHT77 View Post
Congrats! I’m looking at getting one too. Can’t decide on a wall mount or media stand.

Does it come with the panel covers in the back?

For the power cable, where does it come out on the back?

Did you use LGs wall mount?

Any banding or tinting noticeable on the panel?

I’m hoping as they diversify their panels this year it might be from a better yield as part of the pricing however minor. Thanks!
Okay, no panel covers, power cable comes out of the centre. This was my biggest problem and as a result cannot get a flush mount as I had a fig-8 cable ready for power from my previous TV so at some point I'll chop off the captive LG plug and re-wire. I used LG's wallmount. it was fine although my TV was in a recessed alcove which made it a real pain to hang as I had very little room for maneuver. No banding or tinting that I can see!
candor and DKKNGHT77 like this.
post #5168 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Anyone with a 55 cx use the cable management piece on the back of the tv? I can't fit any cables in there. It must be geared towards extra slim cables or something since I use the monoprice cables and they are thick

post #5169 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Anyone with a 55 cx use the cable management piece on the back of the tv? I can't fit any cables in there. It must be geared towards extra slim cables or something since I use the monoprice cables and they are thick

I didn’t bother. with my set up they are hidden anyway and yeah those monoprice cables are dummy thicc
macmane and saiyanzzrage like this.
post #5170 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7638 Post(s)
Liked: 7708
Quote:
Originally Posted by athenaesword View Post
Could owners of the new GX who have used the default LG GX wallmount share if there are any screen reflection warping when the TV is off or in dark scenes? Today, I saw a GX that used the original wallmount and because it was just hanging on to the small bracket at the top as shown in the pic here, the reflection was disturbingly warped (e.g when you have a horizontal bar of light reflection in the TV, that bar is not straight when you look at it head on in the mirror finish of the OLED, but instead is warped around the area where the bracket is attached to the GX. When there's colors on the TV it's not visible, but its clear there's some stress on the front of the panel due to how thin the panel is + the fact that all the weight is resting on a small bracket relative to the TV size.
If you look at any OLED "usually" you will see a warped reflection, on my B8, bit time warped reflections.......
post #5171 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 03:06 PM

O.K. (Deep breath)

What is the consensus about HDMI cables?
I have been hearing about monoprice and "premium" cables on here in passing.

I just watch many SD and a few 4K blu ray movies with my player. No gaming. (Does gaming make a difference here?)

Back in 2013, here is what I discovered:

Bought my first Samsung 55 inch tv. Best Buy insisted on selling me and my nephew (we each bought a tv), 100 dollar cables. (Something about the speed etc).

When my nephew got his tv installed by someone else at his house, the guy said that they were all the same - ones and zeros, meaning they worked or they didn't work. The man suggested Blue Jeans cable and that is what my nephew went with for 15-20 bucks. I was like "WHAT????!!!" Both sets of our Best Buy cables went promptly back to the store.

So the idea was that high priced cables or a certain "brand" was all hype and they are all the same.
Well, do you think this would all be so simple for someone like Sargon 1? No, of course you didn't.

What AYE discovered with my own direct observation - with what I was trying was:

1. Yes, you don't have to buy expensive cables for your discs to look great.
2. No. They don't all look the same.

I have Blue Jeans cable for many years now and really like them. I tried other ones including other "cheap" ones.
My Blue Jeans have been "cheap" in cost only. They look great and all the connections are solid. No. Not gold plated. (Another controversy right there).

What I noticed, (and the odds are that as usual, no one else experienced this), was that different cables regardless of price and brand would change the depth of my movies and they would affect the cadence. Well if it didn't actually affect the 24p cadence, let me say that some created a "look" that reminded me of "video".

Interestingly, I recently bought the same exact set of cheap ones from Blue Jeans cable for my LG. (My plasma was using the other ones and he didn't want to "share"). This second pair had horrible cadence. I thought LG couldn't do 24p if it tried until I switched them. The funny thing is I didn't "switch" them out, thinking that they were performing wrong. I switched them for an unrelated reason - quite random.

I recognize that tossing a bunch of money at some HDMI cables is meaningless and that there are certain brands that perform really well.

Hopefully there is big consensus here about this already. (Don't want to create a mini- firestorm.)

I realize that there is going to inherently be different take aways on this. My audiophile experience dwarfs my video knowledge, and I know from experience that there is no consensus on analogue vs. digital, belt drive vs direct drive, gold connectors, audio cables, etc etc. I'm sure it is the same with video. Oh, I can argue my audio positions with the best of them, (better in fact ), but there will never be consensus. In the end, all that matters is what works best for what my hearing can discern.

I have no idea if I'm going to get "poppycock!" (raised eyebrows) for what I have observed, confirmation about certain premium ones, or a consensus that there are some cheap ones that are just as good. Perhaps some will just speak to the "build quality" - durability differences alone.

I'm not inclined to research this, but I am inclined to listen. Thanks for all your advice, experience, and wisdom in advance.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-31-2020 at 04:38 PM.
post #5172 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 03:21 PM

Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post
My 77CX finally arrived yesterday, May 29th, from BestBuy. Ordered on the 14th. Made it from the warehouse to my local store on the 23rd. And transferred to the delivery company on the 26th. Having Memorial Day in there made it take longer. And I recount these details because the stages of this process were unknown to me. Also calling to order from a Magnolia employee had the downside of being reliant on them for the TVs status throughout. The BestBuy site just shows it as purchased in store and provides no tracking information in these situations.

My initial impressions are extremely positive. Coming from an 65E6P, which I moved to a rolling stand, it is an immediately evident step up. Being able to compare them side by side is fun. I feel like I’m seeing HDR for the first time again. Using the OOTB settings, the contrast has such pop. Gradients are much more refined. Near black detail Is impressive.

Interestingly, the light levels are enough to make me squint. I’ve used biased lighting since my first flat panel. And used them with my OLED as well. I have been questioning whether I was doing that out of thought or habit. So, I am trying out none. I have experienced some eye strain but am also resolving more shadow detail. Tradeoffs.

I checked some slides for the heck of it. Tentatively, I’m satisfied with the panel. Some mild bands are presents. Maybe, I keep going back and forth, slight tinting. And 1 green pixel is dead. Will check again after 200 hours. Also, the manufactured date is 4/20.

I watched John Wick 3 via Vudu and UHD Blu-ray. The Dolby Vision coming from Vudu showed elevated blacks. Brightness to 49 fixed that but introduced additional crush. Either way, the Casablanca scene revealed the limitation of the encode. Artifacts everywhere in shadows. The E6 mostly crushes them. Moving to the disc was incredible. Just beautiful.

The OS is so much faster now. It can switch between SDR and HDR modes without blinking. And a restart is no longer required when enabling deep color. The included remote does feel cheap compared to what came with the 6 series. But can control my Xbox out of the box, which was a pleasant surprise. I didn’t even realize it until I stopped to question myself whether I was in the TV’s Netflix or the Xbox’s

I have everything connected to the TV and am using the shArc for audio to my AVR. It worked exactly as advertised. I did have to set Sound/Additional Settings/Digital Sound Out to Pass Through. On Auto it was messing up the channel levels. I have no explanation for this.

So far, I’m quite happy
I am probably in the minority here but I can't see any difference between the two images (apart from an unintended artefact on the bridge of her nose in the left image). Of course, this is likely due to the camera limitations and no doubt there is a discernible difference in real life viewing.
post #5173 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
O.K. (Deep breathe)

What is the consensus about cables?
I have been hearing about monoprice and "premium" cables on here in passing.
<SNIP>
A couple of thoughts: 1) buy HDMI.org certified, premium or higher, passive cables (they have the Q-code on a sticker). Less than $8 for an 8 foot-long, Monoprice cable; 2) keep a cable length of between 6 and 15 feet.
Sargon 1 likes this.

| LG OLED55C9, Firmware v04.80.03 | Denon AVR-X3400H, Firmware v7600-8281-6432-2065 | ATV 4K | Sony UBP-X700 | Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) & HB-1 MK2 (LRSur), Sub VTF-15H MK2, ELAC Atmos | X-Rite i1D3 OEM | 2020 CalMAN Home for LG build 163 |
post #5174 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
A couple of thoughts: 1) buy HDMI.org certified, premium or higher, passive cables (they have the Q-code on a sticker). Less than $8 for an 8 foot-long, Monoprice cable; 2) keep a cable length of between 6 and 15 feet.
Wow! Short, direct, and concise.

So these are what most people here are using or at least what you obviously found works best.
"Premium certified" - correct?

I'd still love to hear all the different ideas about all of this and observations, but I really APPRECIATE your quick direct input.

Many thanks!

(HDMI.org is the go to site)?

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-31-2020 at 04:22 PM.
post #5175 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I use it for a 3 HDMI cables, and they are fairly thick cables, wouldn’t want to run anymore through it.
post #5176 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is there a diagram showing the dimensions of the input locations on the back of the GX 77? I want to know if it will work without modifying the location of an existing conduit coming through my wall.
beau21 likes this.
post #5177 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 03:36 PM

Liked: 8
Quote:
In that recent Vincent CX/C9 comparison, I noticed he said he refused to watch anything that wasn't in 4K DV/HDR.

I'm absolutely stunned by this. That removes about 95% of all the great SDR movies that were made.
So, unless we "transform" their look to something "beyond" what the original directors created and saw, they are not worth watching?

Shouldn't "accurate" and "true" extend beyond calibrating your tv to match the HDR/DV reference mastering monitors?

HDR isn't accurate in the first place. The dynamic range, wider color spectrum etc is all wonderful. But it isn't what the directors were seeing and working with in the first place. Stanley Kubrick never saw 2001 in HDR. It looks wonderful, but the look has very little in common with the original movie. Only the SDR disc preserves the original look and director's intent of this film.

At what point does "accurately calibrated to something wrong" actually become "wrong"?

Yes I know colorized b/w movies and arbitrary "preference" tv settings are a big no-no. More isn't "more" because it isn't accurate.
But this one has me scratching my head. Is it simply that we "fudge" here because HDR/DV just looks too damn good?

This is one occasion where the tech has done some serious overreach.
The film companies know exactly how to bring us all back to the buying table to replace all of our blu-rays.
I thought he was just referring to Game of Thrones when he said he refused to watch in SDR. I got the impression he was having a dig at Sky TV for their use of over compression when broadcasting it. Sky received a lot of criticism here in the UK for the poor picture quality, although some blamed HBO for providing Sky with a sub-standard copy.
post #5178 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangreasby View Post
I thought he was just referring to Game of Thrones when he said he refused to watch in SDR. I got the impression he was having a dig at Sky TV for their use of over compression when broadcasting it. Sky received a lot of criticism here in the UK for the poor picture quality, although some blamed HBO for providing Sky with a sub-standard copy.
I'm not familiar with all the details of your post here, but yes, mrtickleuk kindly pointed this out to me. I was quite wrong in my conclusion about what he was saying with regard to what he was willing to watch.
iangreasby likes this.
post #5179 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
If you look at any OLED "usually" you will see a warped reflection, on my B8, bit time warped reflections.......
hmm i'm not referring to the very slight uniform warping of reflections across the display though. this was more specifically in the area where the wallmount was behind the screen. What I saw was definitely observably different from normal oled reflections I'm used to, so Im just wondering if this was specific to that one panel which I saw had this. Even at the stores, they seldom use the GX wallmount for some reason and mount using vesa, and the ones that used the latter had no visible warping in that wallbracket area.
most reviewers of the GX also didn't actually mount their systems so only real users would have noticed this.
post #5180 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 03:52 PM

My Blue Jeans cables have really worked out well for me over the years and perform much more to my liking that other ones I tried back in 2013.

But there can be an "ignorance is bliss" thing, like the person with the 500 dollar Walmart LED "special".
Or the person with the 3200 dollar Samsung QLED. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

Anyone have Blue Jeans cable that could speak to what I might be missing out on without realizing it?
I'm curious if they are trash, so-so, or good.

I'm not trying to waste anyones time here with a "Hey, I was browsing and noticed these on Amazon. What do you think?"
I actually have made these an integral part of my system for about 10 years. I think it is time to reevaluate this.

Of course it would help to share exactly what I bought: (Any "red flags" below?) Or specs that do not fall in line with what
mhmercer kindly suggested
?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BJC Series-FE Bonded-Pair High-Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet, 6 Foot, Black
by Blue Jeans Cable

4.3 out of 5 stars 42 ratings | 10 answered questions

6 foot High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet in black PVC jacket, gold-plated HDMI connectors
Cable drawn, extruded, shielded, cabled and jacketed in Kentucky and Indiana; connectorized in China
Certified High Speed (Category 2) to the longest length of any 28 AWG HDMI cable on the market
28 AWG construction and flexible PVC jacket provide high flexibility for ease of installation and use; rated CM (higher than CL2) for in-wall installation
Supports all HDMI protocols, standards, features, bitrates and resolutions, without exception.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, many thanks in advance.

At that price that mhmercer suggested for his cables, I should just buy those and give them an audition.
It appears at this initial point for me that my conclusions with my cable experience still holds true in that 1. yes they don't have to be expensive at all, and 2. What you pick does matter.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-31-2020 at 04:26 PM.
post #5181 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
What I noticed, (and the odds are that as usual, no one else experienced this), was that different cables regardless of price and brand would change the depth of my movies and they would affect the cadence. Well if it didn't actually affect the 24p cadence, let me say that some created a "look" that reminded me of "video".

Interestingly, I recently bought the same exact set of cheap ones from Blue Jeans cable for my LG. (My plasma was using the other ones and he didn't want to "share"). This second pair had horrible cadence. I thought LG couldn't do 24p if it tried until I switched them. The funny thing is I didn't "switch" them out, thinking that they were performing wrong. I switched them for an unrelated reason - quite random.
No. Big NO. Humongous NO. With digital either the bits make it or they don't. That's the only effect the quality of a cable will have.

If the cable is not good enough, some or all of the bits won't make it. You will either get no video, sparkles or some other noticeable artifacts.

If the cable is good enough, you will get the exact same image and quality no mater what brand of cable. There will be no difference it cadence, sharpness, colour, brightness, "depth" or any other aspect of the video.

I have spoken.
post #5182 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
No. Big NO. Humongous NO. With digital either the bits make it or they don't. That's the only effect the quality of a cable will have.

If the cable is not good enough, some or all of the bits won't make it. You will either get no video, sparkles or some other noticeable artifacts.

If the cable is good enough, you will get the exact same image and quality no mater what brand of cable. There will be no difference it cadence, sharpness, colour, brightness, "depth" or any other aspect of the video.

I have spoken.
Yes you have my friend. And I predicted this response in my post. No worries and thank you, my eyes not withstanding.

Im very familiar absolute ones/zero positions with audio going back 35 years as well as digital and digital vs analog debates. Very old tread.

I'm also well aware of this video argument going back many years. The reality of what my eyes see is on my side, but the consensus is overwhelmingly on your side. I could hold one of the many reviews supporting what you are saying on a print out and glance down at it every time I see this difference, close my eyes and repeat 3 times that this isn't happening.

I seriously DO appreciate your position on this. What you are claiming is a given in the industry. Not bothered in the slightest.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-31-2020 at 05:20 PM.
post #5183 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
Yes you have my friend. And I predicted this response in my post. No worries and thank you, my eyes not withstanding.
Im very familiar absolute ones/zero positions with audio going back 35 years as well as well as digital to digital and digital vs analog debates. Very old tread.

I'm well aware of this video argument going back 10 years. The reality of what my eyes see is on my side, but the consensus is overwhelmingly on your side. I could hold one of the many reviews supporting what you are saying on a print out and glance down at it every time I see this difference, close my eyes and repeat 3 times that this isn't happening.

I seriously DO appreciate your position on this. What you are claiming is a given in the industry. Not bothered in the slightest.
The issue is not with your eyes but with your brain. I believe it's call confirmation bias. You want to see a difference so you see a difference.

The debate started because of digital audio. But in that case the "digital is always the same" group was wrong. There is one case where cable and other components can affect things. That is when the signal has no embedded clock or error detection. I believe this is the case with toslink. The timing jitter did cause a difference in the audio. This is not the case with HDMI as it has dedicated clock lines (TMDS) or an embedded clock (FRL).

With HDMI the TV will be physically outputting the exact same picture regardless of cable. And I mean exactly. This is a concrete physical fact.

I am not saying you're not seeing a difference. Because the physical emission of light from the TV and what the human brain sees are to completely different things. The brain plays a huge role in visual perception.

But in this case, any differences are purely in your mind.
post #5184 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 05:22 PM

^
Good to know!
post #5185 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 228
2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk

Quote:

I have the mono price ultra slims and they fit in there but I don’t use it because it makes you need longer cables than necessary...you cant see them anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macmane likes this.

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
post #5186 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Just want to confirm, on oled there is zero difference between 2.4 and 1886 gamma right?

post #5187 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
HDR content is mastered to be viewed in an environment which has a surround luminance level of 5 nits. That's a fact, not an opinion. Please note, that 5 nits means it's definitely not completely pitch black, no matter what other people around here think. You will probably ask for a reference, and I will provide ONE, leaving it as an exercise for others if you want more. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-vs-201604104279.htm . You are free to reject this if you wish, it won't affect me at all.
Thanks for this, exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for that nice chart about dynamic range of different cameras/films used in shooting. Priceless info for my curiosity.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #5188 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Every single setting in my post can be used. That is why I posted them

Hey D, sorry to bother, want to clarify something with you. Entered all of your sdr calibration values from post 504 of this thread and so far so good. My question is I am using isf bright and gamma 2.4...am I still good to use all of your settings or are they exclusive to filmmaker?

post #5189 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
Just want to confirm, on oled there is zero difference between 2.4 and 1886 gamma right?

On OLED where black is 0 nits, there is no difference. On an LCD where black is not 0 nits, there is a difference.
Synomenon and saiyanzzrage like this.
post #5190 of 7261 Old 05-31-2020, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just purchased the 65CXAUA version at Costco.
Took the Sony LED down and placed the OLED in its place.
My room has a Denon X6500H with everything fed into the Denon and one HDMI out to HDMI input 2 on the OLED.
This was the exact same setup I had when the Sony Led sat there.
I just want to use the OLED as a monitor and yet, in audio settings, the only way I could get to hear anything from the Denon was by choosing between bitstream or PCM in the OLED settings.
I think bitstream allowed audio to come through the surround system. PCM did not

In addition when I turned off the tv it turned the Denon off too.
I don't want it to do that.

Now, I already have the 65C8 in another room with a Denon X6200W receiver, almost identical and that
setup doesn't and hasn't ever caused me any grief.

It seems that the HDMI has gotten a lock on powering off somewhere. Any ideas where I can check for that?

HDMI control is off in the Denon Settings.

I'll come back and try again tomorrow as its late but any help would be appreciated as the manual doesn't tell much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page