2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5796Likes

post #5281 of 6700 Old 06-01-2020, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
You posted at least a couple of those YouTube comments yourself. Many of us watch the same YouTube videos, you didn't think anyone would notice your comments?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
kokishin and Stuntman_Mike like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 6700 Old 06-01-2020, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am too new here to be able to post links, but there’s a new CX review up from John Archer at Forbes.

Quote:
“As regular readers of my articles over the years will know, for better or worse I’m not one of those reviewers who thinks that OLED is the only TV technology that matters. Both OLED and LCD have distinct pros and cons, which appeal to different tastes and apply to different room conditions.

The OLED65CX doesn’t completely change my views on this. Not least because I’ve already also seen a few excellent 2020 LCD TVs, too.

That said, the picture refinements the OLED65CX brings make it not only comfortably the best TV LG has ever made, but provided you can watch it in the conditions it deserves, and treat it with the respect it deserves, one of the all-round most consistent and therefore immersive TVs I’ve ever reviewed, period. Which becomes even more impressive given how cheap the OLED65CX is relative (by launch price standards, anyway) to any previous 65-inch C series OLED.”
saiyanzzrage likes this.
post #5283 of 6700 Old 06-01-2020, 07:17 PM

I’ve read this thread almost completely from beginning to end (and even survived the ophthalmology discussion), but I still cannot piece together answers to these two questions prior to my upcoming purchase of the 77CX:

1) I hate the HDMI-CEC / SIMPLINK implementation LG uses (I used one at work and it drove me nuts), and just want to use my Harmony remote to automate power on/off of devices and switching of sources. It isn’t clear to me if SIMPLINK can be safely turned off without losing the audio signal from the internal TV apps to my AVR. Does anyone know for sure?

2) I do not understand how the light sensor / Dolby IQ stuff works. Can I, with the CX, have isf Dark and isf Bright calibrated separately to my liking, and simply have the light sensor determine which it should choose? Or perhaps, set time of day for it to switch between the two? I live right on the equator and we don’t use daylight savings, so theoretically I would like to have it switch to isf Dark at 19:00.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5284 of 6700 Old 06-01-2020, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipMc View Post
I’ve read this thread almost completely from beginning to end (and even survived the ophthalmology discussion), but I still cannot piece together answers to these two questions prior to my upcoming purchase of the 77CX:

1) I hate the HDMI-CEC / SIMPLINK implementation LG uses (I used one at work and it drove me nuts), and just want to use my Harmony remote to automate power on/off of devices and switching of sources. It isn’t clear to me if SIMPLINK can be safely turned off without losing the audio signal from the internal TV apps to my AVR. Does anyone know for sure?

2) I do not understand how the light sensor / Dolby IQ stuff works. Can I, with the CX, have isf Dark and isf Bright calibrated separately to my liking, and simply have the light sensor determine which it should choose? Or perhaps, set time of day for it to switch between the two? I live right on the equator and we don’t use daylight savings, so theoretically I would like to have it switch to isf Dark at 19:00.

Thanks!
1. ARC does require simplelink to be enabled. You can still use optical, but that won't be best for certain sound formats.

2. No. The light sensor can't switch picture modes. Best thing to do if you are calibrating is to use separate day/night picture modes and manually switch. Dolby IQ will alter the calibration results so yah.
SkipMc likes this.

Last edited by skschatzman; 06-01-2020 at 07:25 PM.
post #5285 of 6700 Old 06-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
1. ARC does require simplelink to be enabled.

2. No. The light sensor can't switch picture modes. Best thing to do if you are calibrating is to use separate day/night picture modes and manually switch. Dolby IQ will alter the calibration results so yah.
Bummer. Is there a good email or webform where I can submit feedback to LG? 🤣😬

Thanks!
skschatzman likes this.
post #5286 of 6700 Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipMc View Post

Speaking of harmony remote I just ordered a 665. Does CEC need to be enabled on the tv to set activities on the remote or does the remote handle all the switching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
post #5287 of 6700 Old 06-01-2020, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk

So today I turned on my CX, & all but 1 HDMI port showed a signal. The other 3 had devices connected and powered on, but would not show up on the tv, even after unplugging the HDMI cords to each device and replugging them in. It was as if the ports were dead. I then unplugged the tv and it wasn’t until I plugged it back in that all ports showed a device again. Anyone else experience this?

post #5288 of 6700 Old 06-01-2020, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
Speaking of harmony remote I just ordered a 665. Does CEC need to be enabled on the tv to set activities on the remote or does the remote handle all the switching?

The Harmony will handle the powering on/off of the devices as well as source switching in the TV (and AVR if you have one).
saiyanzzrage likes this.
post #5289 of 6700 Old 06-01-2020, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerrelli View Post
So today I turned on my CX, & all but 1 HDMI port showed a signal. The other 3 had devices connected and powered on, but would not show up on the tv, even after unplugging the HDMI cords to each device and replugging them in. It was as if the ports were dead. I then unplugged the tv and it wasn’t until I plugged it back in that all ports showed a device again. Anyone else experience this?

Yikes it was a few posts prior to yours mentioning this type of behavior. I guess now this is the new issue

post #5290 of 6700 Old 06-01-2020, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc2k1 View Post
Can anyone comment on whether tint is an issue on the CX? The main reason I returned my 65" C9 was due to tinting issues. I plan to get the 77CX and I think this is something all owners who are considering returning their CX for a a C9 should consider. Tint issues plagued a lot of sets in the C9 thread. Hope it's better with the CX.
Tint is alive and well on the cx as well but haven't been any major reports of it here though. I think the odds of getting an acceptable cx is high but still a lottery

Good to hear it at least sounds like better chances than with the C9. Thanks!
macmane likes this.
post #5291 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote from John Archer from Forbes:
The OLED65CX gets even more punch and intensity out of this OLED strength than the OLED65C9, holding onto slightly deeper blacks more consistently, but also keeping track of plenty of subtle light and color detail in the darkest areas. In this respect, the LG OLED65CX kind of brings together the best of 2019’s C9 and B9 TVs, the latter of which actually went deeper with its black levels, while the C9 revealed more shadow detail.

Full review :
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/06/01/lg-oled65cx-oled-tv-review-home-cinema-hero/
saiyanzzrage likes this.
post #5292 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
The OLED65CX gets even more punch and intensity out of this OLED strength than the OLED65C9, holding onto slightly deeper blacks more consistently, but also keeping track of plenty of subtle light and color detail in the darkest areas. In this respect, the LG OLED65CX kind of brings together the best of 2019’️s C9 and B9 TVs, the latter of which actually went deeper with its black levels, while the C9 revealed more shadow detail.

Full review :
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...e-cinema-hero/
Yep, alot of positive words for the CX finally. He also said its the best TV LG made so far.
saiyanzzrage likes this.
post #5293 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2018 View Post
I see there is a new FW update in the Korean site : 03.00.65
but no changelog accept "Final"

2.Final
Ver -03.00.65
I wonder if this will be what was in the test version?
post #5294 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 04:08 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Can anyone comment on whether tint is an issue on the CX? The main reason I returned my 65" C9 was due to tinting issues. I plan to get the 77CX and I think this is something all owners who are considering returning their CX for a a C9 should consider. Tint issues plagued a lot of sets in the C9 thread. Hope it's better with the CX.
I have some yellowish tinting on my panel buddy so it deffo is present on the CX panels. Also had some on my my 65 C9 panel. I also have a 55 inch C9 which is a bit cleaner. I swapped my C9 due to what looked like light bleed on a few of the sides which is the most annoying thing. Ill try to get some some pictures taken to share in a dark room and on full white screen just to see what people think.
post #5295 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
The OLED65CX gets even more punch and intensity out of this OLED strength than the OLED65C9, holding onto slightly deeper blacks more consistently, but also keeping track of plenty of subtle light and color detail in the darkest areas. In this respect, the LG OLED65CX kind of brings together the best of 2019’s C9 and B9 TVs, the latter of which actually went deeper with its black levels, while the C9 revealed more shadow detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMING VIBES 4k View Post
Yep, alot of positive words for the CX finally. He also said its the best TV LG made so far.
Not sure why anyone here would take John Archer's reviews seriously. His reviews are mostly flowery and subjective, with almost no measurements. Also, he is known to test TVs in the "Standard" picture mode which is not accurate at all.
post #5296 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Do all OLED's have the exact same viewing angle tech? Why does the C9 have an 8.8 score for viewing angles but the CX only has 8.4 for the score?
post #5297 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by caramonrun View Post
Not sure why anyone here would take John Archer's reviews seriously. His reviews are mostly flowery and subjective, with almost no measurements. Also, he is known to test TVs in the "Standard" picture mode which is not accurate at all.

I suppose you’re right but, I’d listen to him before I would all the Wojacks on Reddit.
ataneruo likes this.
post #5298 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothbutter View Post
Do all OLED's have the exact same viewing angle tech? Why does the C9 have an 8.8 score for viewing angles but the CX only has 8.4 for the score?
Because Rtings is more of a joke. Stick to Vincent or Dnice or JReff.

I’ve never been able to take rtings seriously. They rush things and change their reviews later.
macmane, jrref and mrtickleuk like this.
post #5299 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBoss View Post
Quote:
I have some yellowish tinting on my panel buddy so it deffo is present on the CX panels. Also had some on my my 65 C9 panel. I also have a 55 inch C9 which is a bit cleaner. I swapped my C9 due to what looked like light bleed on a few of the sides which is the most annoying thing. Ill try to get some some pictures taken to share in a dark room and on full white screen just to see what people think.
Thank you! Much appreciated. Is yours the 65" model?
post #5300 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 05:24 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Thank you! Much appreciated. Is yours the 65" model?
Yep.
post #5301 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5318 Post(s)
Liked: 6518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKKNGHT77 View Post
Because Rtings is more of a joke. Stick to Vincent or Dnice or JReff.

I’ve never been able to take rtings seriously. They rush things and change their reviews later.
To be fair, testing can be somewhat subjective. When you are testing technology that has reached a "plateau" like OLED TVs, currently, sometimes there are only subtle changes that can be measured and or seen visually. This is why you need to use what you read as a guide and see if there are any improvements that are important to you. You can't go wrong with what D-Nice and i report early on since we both usually are the first ones to get Retail sets to evaluate and then use Vincent's reviews to confirm or not what we see and other users are experiencing. Vincent does a superb job with his testing and he always has visuals to back up his observations.
helvetica bold and venus933 like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #5302 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5318 Post(s)
Liked: 6518
If anyone has used LG beta firmware, can you PM me please.
John

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #5303 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by caramonrun View Post
Exactly! that's exactly how I felt when i read his review. I find it potentially very deceiving for someone new who comes along and expects a substantial improvement in almost every aspect of picture quality based on what he's said. As far as most people are concerned they would see no difference in most of those areas. "holding on to slightly deeper blacks more consistently"... come on. Even if you could see the improvement side by side, the language he uses is too embellished and leads one to form an impression that the difference is much more stark. Basically, his review reads like a marketing piece from LG directly. i dont mind the excitement, but I read it and felt like I came away with nothing. Also didn't even mention BFI, which is kinda the focus of the 2020 sets even if you don't use it... -_-

p.s i'm not a cx basher. I am going to buy a 2020 oled myself, but I wish reviewers would stick to colder factual reviews.

Last edited by athenaesword; 06-02-2020 at 05:50 AM.
post #5304 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerrelli View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
Yikes it was a few posts prior to yours mentioning this type of behavior. I guess now this is the new issue

I've had my CX for about 6 weeks or so now and this has happened to me a couple of times. Never to the point of having to actually unplug the tv. A power off and then back on cycle with the remote has always fixed it for me.
Fonzerrelli likes this.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, Roku Streaming Stick+ 4K, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro, Apple TV 4K
Displays: LG OLED55CX,
Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Sold Off: TCL P605 55", Amazon Fire TV 4k, LG OLED55C8
post #5305 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7613 Post(s)
Liked: 7672
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFingTwist View Post
Interestingly enough, the 77 inch CX has disappeared from Costco's site after first appearing two days ago. I pulled the page up from my browser history and it simply states the product could not be found.
Supply is very tight right now on 2020 OLED's....
rajendra82 and JackFingTwist like this.
post #5306 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 154
The John Archer review in Forbes reminds me of reading a speaker review in Stereophile. But at least Stereophile had measurements.
When I googled looking for his review I mistakenly clicked on his "First Impressions" from January. He gushes about the CX when he compares it to his memory (lol) of what the C9 looks like.

(this link is for his old article, not his new review)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#405e2fdc7779

But whatever. No harm done, I guess. Anyone who buys a set based on his review will still end up with a great TV.
dfa973 likes this.
post #5307 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
Keep the CX. Based on the side by side by Vincent on YouTube, it has better picture quality in everything except the currently busted decontouring filter, which wasn't busted in the previous firmware. I can assure you that will get fixed. As far as lower brightness, it is very likely due to panel variation. So what you are left with is promise of the support of a mode that the C9 can accept, but can't display, and DTS. Is that worth the hassle of returning the CX? Did you see the flashing near black blocks on the C9? Those are real and possibly never get fixed with any firmware update. They didn't on the C8.
The bolded is not true. The C9 can display 4k 120hz 444 12bit as downsampled 4k 120hz 444 10bit. The CX can't. Not an issue unless you plan to game on PC and Nvidia doesn't change their practices for consumer cards. Lack of compatibility with PS5/Series X is extremely unlikely, but not an impossibility until further notice.

post #5308 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I am not technical by any means, but is what he is saying about the bandwidth of the cx hdmi ports and h.265/dolby vision a thing?
As some here have already said that guy is simply annoying, but he does have some way in words in trying to appear convincing. The childish dance at the end with the Deadpool mask takes away all his credibility, though.

I'll bite in any case. So, from my also limited knowledge, I don't see the issue he's trying to point out.
Rec.2020/BT.2020 and H.265 both support 10-bit, it's not like they're exclusive to 12-bit. There may be some benefits from downsampling 12-bit to a 10-bit panel, but I think they should be negligible with the right adjustments/calibrations.

We know the requirement for 4k @ 120 Hz @ 4:4:4 @ 10-bit is 40.1 Gbps. When it is said the CX is capped at 40 Gbps I will assume it's actually 40.1 Gbps (I think we all do). LG say it themselves in their product page:
Quote:
**Supports up to 40Gbps bandwidth, allowing up to 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 @ 10 bits per component.
Therefore it should be safe to say the CX does indeed support Rec.2020/BT.2020 and H.265 at 4k @ 120 Hz @ 4:4:4 @ 10-bit and we should assume the quantum ego is just rambling.

I won't say I'm 100% sure right on this though, so anyone please do correct me if anything's wrong.
saiyanzzrage likes this.
post #5309 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked: 9026
Quote:
I am not technical by any means, but is what he is saying about the bandwidth of the cx hdmi ports and h.265/dolby vision a thing?
Is who saying? Please answer without forcing me to click on it. Seems like yet another click-bait Quantum Bollocks video. But I don't want to click on it until I'm sure it's not him. Esp now that I know that even loading the page gives him stats.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 06-02-2020 at 07:43 AM.
post #5310 of 6700 Old 06-02-2020, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Is who saying? Please answer without forcing me to click on it. Seems like yet another click-bait Quantum Bollocks video.
yeah its him...sorry, ill delete the post

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page