2019 LG C9–E9 dedicated GAMING thread, consoles and PC - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 448Likes

post #781 of 1121 Old 05-19-2020, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
I'm confused as to whether or not I need the Sharc device since my Denon AVR technically supports eARC though I've read that it doesn't play nice with the C9.

I guess I should just wait until I get the TV and experiment.
A small number of people had success. Give it a try. If not you can get the Sharc.

Just use CRU to enable LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 audio on your PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1121 Old 05-19-2020, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre Morel View Post
PES is a 60fps game. It happens on 60fps and 30fps games, i'm quite sure of it.

If you don't notice frameskip it's because you don't have any. I don't even know if it is really a frameskip, it's a strange effect like in brandonsarge's video, it's more of a very fast freeze (an odd repeated frame ?) that give an impression of a little and very random rewind of 1 frame, it's very noticeable when camera is moving in a straight direction (like in PES).
Yeah, it looks like a previous frame was repeated. That would annoy the crap out of me. My guess is a mainbaord replacement and not a panel replacement would have been in order, but thats just a guess on my part.

I would forward that video to lg on twitter or on the lg forums and say this is what you're experiencing.
I found a fix. An odd one but it works like a charm. So, no frameskip after hours after deactivating Wifi on the TV, frameskips after minutes while it is on. I have a rather ****ty internet connection (Wimax Mimo on my hometown), with latency spikes and packet losses, and even then, the TV isn't near my router and is connected via Wifi to a "repeater" midway.

So, i don't know the implication of that but deactivating internet on the TV works. Maybe it's because it lessens the background workload ? I don't know. The thing is, activating my ****ty internet via Wifi on the TV causes random frameskips on my HDMI-connected consoles. And only on those.

It's odd af.
Tygeezy likes this.
post #783 of 1121 Old 05-19-2020, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Right now i'm playing the FF7 Remake (30FPS game) and i do not notice any frameskipping, TV WLAN always on (5Ghz).

LG65C9 - i7-6700K/2080ti - PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1121 Old 05-19-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lors View Post
Right now i'm playing the FF7 Remake (30FPS game) and i do not notice any frameskipping, TV WLAN always on (5Ghz).
It's 100% repeatable with my setup. TV WLAN on = frameskips on my consoles (OS, apps, 30fps games like FFVIIR or 60fps ones like MK8). TV WLAN off = no frameskips ever.

I'm rather happy right now because to me it is kinda solved. I suspect it is because of the way the TV handles connected background apps, packet losses or latency spikes being the culprit. Or maybe it is the wifi "repeater"? Frankly i don't know.

I will have FTTH in three months or so, with a router a lot nearer, i might be good if the problem is indeed this (but for sure, WLAN off fixes it, that's a good beginning).
post #785 of 1121 Old 05-19-2020, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
I found a fix. An odd one but it works like a charm. So, no frameskip after hours after deactivating Wifi on the TV, frameskips after minutes while it is on. I have a rather ****ty internet connection (Wimax Mimo on my hometown), with latency spikes and packet losses, and even then, the TV isn't near my router and is connected via Wifi to a "repeater" midway.

So, i don't know the implication of that but deactivating internet on the TV works. Maybe it's because it lessens the background workload ? I don't know. The thing is, activating my ****ty internet via Wifi on the TV causes random frameskips on my HDMI-connected consoles. And only on those.

It's odd af.

This happens to my tv if I have gsync on and internet to tv on. Disabling internet fixes it for me. I’m not the only one either. I r talked with probably 4 other people that had this same problem as me. I haven’t gotten around to testing it on my new c9, but if it doesn’t do it I’m going to ask for a new mainboard and a new panel while there at it due to pink tint as well.

post #786 of 1121 Old 05-19-2020, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
It's 100% repeatable with my setup. TV WLAN on = frameskips on my consoles (OS, apps, 30fps games like FFVIIR or 60fps ones like MK8). TV WLAN off = no frameskips ever.

I'm rather happy right now because to me it is kinda solved. I suspect it is because of the way the TV handles connected background apps, packet losses or latency spikes being the culprit. Or maybe it is the wifi "repeater"? Frankly i don't know.

I will have FTTH in three months or so, with a router a lot nearer, i might be good if the problem is indeed this (but for sure, WLAN off fixes it, that's a good beginning).
Does this issue happen if the TV’s Ethernet is hard-wired?
post #787 of 1121 Old 05-20-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
Quote:

Does this issue happen if the TV’️s Ethernet is hard-wired?
I'll try to test that when I can.
post #788 of 1121 Old 05-20-2020, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Quote:
I found a fix. An odd one but it works like a charm. So, no frameskip after hours after deactivating Wifi on the TV, frameskips after minutes while it is on. I have a rather ****ty internet connection (Wimax Mimo on my hometown), with latency spikes and packet losses, and even then, the TV isn't near my router and is connected via Wifi to a "repeater" midway

It's odd af.

This happens to my tv if I have gsync on and internet to tv on. Disabling internet fixes it for me. I’️m not the only one either. I r talked with probably 4 other people that had this same problem as me. I haven’️t gotten around to testing it on my new c9, but if it doesn’️t do it I’️m going to ask for a new mainboard and a new panel while there at it due to pink tint as well.

We may face the same issue or just a very similar issue 😉 .
Could you record a more fast paced game or one with a free movable view? Just curious if it's the same issue. Unfortunately I can't notice it on the video, but I just watched it on my Phone(Gonna watch it on PC after work)
post #789 of 1121 Old 05-20-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomydude View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I found a fix. An odd one but it works like a charm. So, no frameskip after hours after deactivating Wifi on the TV, frameskips after minutes while it is on. I have a rather ****ty internet connection (Wimax Mimo on my hometown), with latency spikes and packet losses, and even then, the TV isn't near my router and is connected via Wifi to a "repeater" midway

It's odd af.

This happens to my tv if I have gsync on and internet to tv on. Disabling internet fixes it for me. I’️m not the only one either. I r talked with probably 4 other people that had this same problem as me. I haven’️t gotten around to testing it on my new c9, but if it doesn’️t do it I’️m going to ask for a new mainboard and a new panel while there at it due to pink tint as well.

Could you record a more fast paced game or one with a free movable view? Just curious if it's the same issue. Unfortunately I can't notice it on the video, but I just watched it on my Phone(Gonna watch it on PC after work)
Sorry for double posting, but I don't see an Edit button..
I just realised that this is not your vid. Sorry
post #790 of 1121 Old 05-20-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomydude View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It's odd af.

This was posted in this thread page 62-63 or so, and is exactly what i experience and why i came here:

https://youtu.be/RaheJMDaR80
post #791 of 1121 Old 05-20-2020, 04:58 AM

Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to edit. So, the plot thickens.

As someone asked, i tested how it goes when TV is ethernet connected to the internet. I have to say i just can't have a cable long enough to go router<ethernet>TV directly, so it goes like this router<wifi>repeater<ethernet>TV. I know it isn't totally optimal in order to test this but it should show if the TV behaves differently when WLAN is off while being connected by cable.

And so, three frameskips in 30 minutes with this setup. Same as WLAN on.

Then, i deactivated internet and played one hour: no frameskips.

That's it.
post #792 of 1121 Old 05-20-2020, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

As someone asked, i tested how it goes when TV is ethernet connected to the internet. I have to say i just can't have a cable long enough to go router<ethernet>TV directly, so it goes like this router<wifi>repeater<ethernet>TV. I know it isn't totally optimal in order to test this but it should show if the TV behaves differently when WLAN is off while being connected by cable.

That's it.
It could be the case actually. I do notice even back in the C7 TV that if it is connected to the internet, it also takes a bit longer to boot the TV up as well. So I am not surprised if it is doing something in the background while you are connected to the internet. Such as video tracking to see what content you are watching for advertising purposes, big data and all.

That is why I have my C9 connected using wired with an Ethernet Switch that also connects to the PS4. Since the switch is connected to a smart home plug, I can easily trigger the internet for the TV and PS4 on and off at will with Alexa. Thus, I do not encounter any slowdowns of the OS and these video monitorings of whatever content you are watching that causes some occasional hiccups especially when you are gaming due to the CPU limitation of having to process your content while trying to analyze and report back the content that you are consuming.
post #793 of 1121 Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

That's it.
Am I understanding it that your wired connection to the TV is coming out a wifi repeater?

How do you deactivate the internet on this set? I did a quick run-through of the settings last night and all I could find was simply forgetting my wireless network.
post #794 of 1121 Old 05-20-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
OMG, thanks for your patience. I see the CRU settings attachement now, I'm an idiot.
I still haven't got it to work after editing the EDID, but still trying. EDIT: FINALLY got it work. Thanks again @mitchmalibu , and sorry to everyone for polluting this thread with my dumb issue. It's fixed now.
Just curious, what AVR do you have and what is your speaker setup? What audio output settings are you using in Windows?

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the SHARC appliance just so I can be covered on the audio front. If I can somehow get eARC working with my Denon 4400, I can return it.

AV equipment: LG 77C9, Sony 65X930E, Denon X4400H, Panasonic UB820, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super
post #795 of 1121 Old 05-20-2020, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
Just curious, what AVR do you have and what is your speaker setup? What audio output settings are you using in Windows?

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the SHARC appliance just so I can be covered on the audio front. If I can somehow get eARC working with my Denon 4400, I can return it.

Since you asked...

My C9 55" setup:

• Denon 2112ci, which natively does ARC w/ HDMI control, but not lossless eARC without the ShARC module.
  • The Denon's HDMI inputs: 1) ShARC, 2) PS4 3) Nintendo Switch, and 4) an AUX HDMI cable for retro consoles, raspberry pi, etc. (The other 2 Denon inputs don't work )
  • Speaker setup is 5.1.2 Atmos: four ELAC B9 Debuts in quad setup, two ELAC A4 Debut front Atmos height channels, a MartinLogan Motion 8 center channel. Audyssey MultiEQ XT applied, set to "reference" and DynamicEQ at -0db reference offset.
  • Input on the Denon for the ShARC is multi-channel LPCM with Dolby Surround upmix for the Atmos height channels.
  • C9 inputs are 1) PC, 2) ShARC audio out, 3) Xbox One X, and 4) MON out from the Denon, all set to bitstream and eARC passthrough to the ShARC.
  • PC's Windows 10 audio out is 5.1 LPCM set to 24 bit 96k Hz. I switch this to Dolby Atmos for Home Theater for native Atmos games, and stereo for non-multichannel music.
I'm thinking you'll be fine with your 4400 using the CRU tweak. Good luck!
vpn75 likes this.
post #796 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 04:26 AM

Liked: 6
So, rtings found there might be something fishy going on with CX 120Hz BFI.

Quote:

Founder of Blur Busters here.

Blur Busters agrees – there is some unusual issue.  Double images at 120Hz suggests that the TV may be frame-skipping, displaying only 60 unique refresh cycles at 120Hz, since double images on impulsed displays is a scientific confirmation of half frame rate.

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussions/XRaYEZ8xj6I6MTiL/bfi-60-is-better-than-120[/URL]

Could this be something which can be fixed with FW update soon? I am guessing they would not patch it out like they did with C9 year ago?
post #797 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 81
LG is now aware of the vrr near black issue. Hopefully a fix is coming soon. Just a reminder to all owners, if you are using vrr on the c9 or the cx, you're not getting the best picture quality as vrr screws up the near black gamma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-05-21-21-22-14-552_com_1590071388932.miui.home.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	2730172  

*My setup:
PC (i5-8400, 16GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti) connected to LG C9 OLED
*NVCP Settings:
RGB 8bit Full in SDR
422 12bit Limited in HDR
post #798 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 07:48 AM

This VRR bug is pretty much the only thing holding me back from purchasing the C9.

I assume as it affects the CX then the C9 should be patched but im not sure I want to take that risk of buying before it is. Iv made that mistake before!

Of course the longer I wait the less stock there is around.
post #799 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ281 View Post
This VRR bug is pretty much the only thing holding me back from purchasing the C9.

I assume as it affects the CX then the C9 should be patched but im not sure I want to take that risk of buying before it is. Iv made that mistake before! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

Of course the longer I wait the less stock there is around.
I wish someone discovered this bug before I made my purchase. Now I don't want to game on the c9 anymore because the picture is noticebly less contrasty with vrr on versus off.

*My setup:
*NVCP Settings:
RGB 8bit Full in SDR
422 12bit Limited in HDR
post #800 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
I wish someone discovered this bug before I made my purchase. Now I don't want to game on the c9 anymore because the picture is noticebly less contrasty with vrr on versus off.
Hi. What game are you playing? I would love to test this out. I've been playing with VRR ON for most games on the C9.
post #801 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLAsN View Post
Quote:
Hi. What game are you playing? I would love to test this out. I've been playing with VRR ON for most games on the C9.
This issue affects all games I have played. Some people will never notice the difference unless they look at a side by side comparison but I consider myself a graphics whore so I can notice it right away even when the difference is subtle. If you want to really know what the issue is in details, watch this video: https://youtu.be/DUiwadan2ZI. You can then just check it in any video game you play by paying attention to the change in gamma of shades of gray once vrr is enabled.

*My setup:
*NVCP Settings:
RGB 8bit Full in SDR
422 12bit Limited in HDR
post #802 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I'm gonna test myself tonight.

So basically your turning off VRR in Windows 10 under Display settings? Its always been toggled On.

Dell Alienware Aurora R7 - Liquid Cooled - CPU: Intel i7 8700K - 16GB Dual Channel DDR4
Graphics: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra Gaming 11GB GDDR6
Display: LG 65' C9 OLED
SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Gaming Headset w/ SteelSeries RIVAL 650 Wireless Mouse
LG OLED C9/E9 dedicated GAMING thread
post #803 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Green View Post
Quote:

I'm gonna test myself tonight.

So basically your turning off VRR in Windows 10 under Display settings? Its always been toggled On.
No. That vrr toggle under display settings has nothing to do with this vrr as far as I know. Just leave it on.

If you want to turn off vrr, either disable the Instant Game Response in the tv setting or go to nvidia control panel and untick gsync compatible

Just follow the steps in this video if you want to test: https://youtu.be/DUiwadan2ZI
22Green likes this.

*My setup:
*NVCP Settings:
RGB 8bit Full in SDR
422 12bit Limited in HDR

Last edited by Duc Vu; 05-21-2020 at 08:47 AM.
post #804 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:

I don't blame you, Id be annoyed.
The only device I have right now that has VRR is my Xbox but with the next gen around the corner I know its going to become more important so I don't want to commit to a one of the LG's till I see its fixed.
post #805 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 236
That really sucks for those of you who have seen and are unable to unsee the VRR issue. I'm just sitting here happily gaming on my PC with G-sync on in blissful ignorance and completely happy with the image quality. I do hope it gets fixed, though. That would mean that, potentially, somewhere down the line, I'll be pleasantly surprised with an even better image out of the blue.
DaverJ, FarleyUK and 22Green like this.
post #806 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
That really sucks for those of you who have seen and are unable to unsee the VRR issue. I'm just sitting here happily gaming on my PC with G-sync on in blissful ignorance and completely happy with the image quality. I do hope it gets fixed, though. That would mean that, potentially, somewhere down the line, I'll be pleasantly surprised with an even better image out of the blue.
Yeah I actually was enjoying playing games with vrr on the c9 until one day I accidentally kept vrr off while playing and started to notice way less artefacts and posterization. Pulling some test patterns and it went downhill from there. Can never unsee.

*My setup:
*NVCP Settings:
RGB 8bit Full in SDR
422 12bit Limited in HDR
post #807 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post

I've seen it, and even though I'm super critical about certain things, this issue amounts to a near-zero for me. YMMV
22Green likes this.
post #808 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
This issue affects all games I have played. Some people will never notice the difference unless they look at a side by side comparison but I consider myself a graphics whore so I can notice it right away even when the difference is subtle. If you want to really know what the issue is in details, watch this video: https://youtu.be/DUiwadan2ZI. You can then just check it in any video game you play by paying attention to the change in gamma of shades of gray once vrr is enabled.
He shouldn't be engaging ALLM while he is in game. Like how some games require a restart, it is best to also engage VRR/ALLM first prior to launching a game. I have had tried turning on VRR while still in a game. Using the G-Sync Indicator to determine whether VRR is turned ON. Guess what? It did not start VRR while you are still in game. But upon restarting the game, the G-Sync indicator finally showed. His issue could have been caused by something being broken in the process of you engaging ALLM while the game is launched. A restart could have probably fixed his issue.
It is always good practice to restart your game upon making any changes after all.

I have Gears 5 to test to see whether I will suffer from the Black looking greyish issue now from that other video someone pointed out here.

Does this happen in Modern Warfare 2019? If you have that game, we can easily do a comparison with a similar game.

Last edited by LiLAsN; 05-21-2020 at 09:07 AM.
post #809 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLAsN View Post
Quote:
He shouldn't be engaging ALLM while he is in game. Like how some games require a restart, it is best to also engage VRR/ALLM first prior to launching a game. I have had tried turning on VRR while still in a game. Using the G-Sync Indicator to determine whether VRR is turned ON. Guess what? It did not start VRR while you are still in game. But upon restarting the game, the G-Sync indicator finally showed. His issue could have been caused by something being broken in the process of you engaging ALLM while the game is launched. A restart could have probably fixed his issue.
It is always good practice to restart your game upon making any changes after all.

I have Gears 5 to test to see whether I will suffer from the Black looking greyish issue now from that other video someone pointed out here.

Does this happen in Modern Warfare 2019? If you have that game, we can easily do a comparison with a similar game.
First of all, I made that video. Second of all, no, it doesn't matter whether you enable vrr in the middle of the game or before launching the game. I tried both and got the same result everytime. What gsync indicator are you talking about? The only way to know whether vrr is active is through the banner "instant game response is enabled" that pops up at the top right corner of the tv.
Yes I have Modern Warfare 2019. Enable hdr and look at the middle logo when you calibrate black level. With vrr off, the logo starts to disappear at value smaller than 0.02. With vrr on, the logo never disappears even when the value is 0 (the slider is moved all the way to the left)

*My setup:
*NVCP Settings:
RGB 8bit Full in SDR
422 12bit Limited in HDR

Last edited by Duc Vu; 05-21-2020 at 09:22 AM.
post #810 of 1121 Old 05-21-2020, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Are we even sure that those raised blacks while VRR = on is a bug?

Spoiler!

https://twitter.com/EvilBoris/status...36886138142723

At least this comment sounds like it is normal.
DaverJ and LiLAsN like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page