AVS Forum banner

2019 LG C9–E9 dedicated GAMING thread, consoles and PC

819K views 7K replies 557 participants last post by  b0rnarian 
#1 · (Edited)
The LG OLED C9 and E9 are fantastic displays for watching movies/TV, and even better for playing console and/or PC games. With many cutting edge features like Variable Refresh Rates, G-sync, HDMI 2.1, Auto Low Latency Mode, HGiG and more, it's a great way to enhance the gaming experience.

But with the cutting edge often comes questions about setting the display for the best performance and picture quality. This is the thread to discuss this! What works well for you, what don't you understand, what games really show off this beautiful display...?

If you are a dedicated console or PC gamer and have a LG OLED, or are thinking of getting one, please SUBSCRIBE to this thread and participate in the discussion.

#2,565 · (Edited)
Make sure and reboot after turning on gsync after the firmware update. Solved issues for me. Still getting flickering when I go into Modern Warfare. Going to let it sit overnight and try again in the morning. Good luck to all.

#2,568 ·
Having same results. Finally just went to bed. Live to fight another day. Hope we didn't grab wrong firmware and then fix comes in under that number.

#2,573 ·
Guys, not seeing tearing does not mean VRR is working. If your tears before were from FPS > Hz, then indeed you would be seeing less tearing now, because you just now enabled the FPS limiter in NVCP. That's one possibility.

Anyone who has done this VRR toggle in Windows, reboot, then go back to the Windows graphics settings where it was enabled. The setting will be gone, because you never really had VRR in the first place, because you disabled it when you unchecked "Enable settings for the selected display model." Except Windows didn't realize you disabled it apparently, so it showed you the VRR option in its own settings. After you reboot, it's gone, and was likely never effective in the first place. I will concede it is possible it is doing something that changes the way full-screen exclusive games interact with Windows, which is indeed having some effect on the way you visually perceive the frames. But in any case, I severely doubt that it's actually giving you VRR.

I'd be curious to know, after a reboot, whether your games still feel the same? I suppose it is possible that Windows is actually doing something when that setting is enabled, even when it technically doesn't intend to be enabled, which it stops doing after a reboot when it realizes GSYNC is effectively disabled. Still, I doubt it.

In Windows 10, at one point they made it so some full-screen exclusive games are captured by the Desktop Windows Manager (DWM), so "full-screen" settings in games was actually a lie, and Windows was instead giving you a full-screen borderless experience. Most people don't notice this because it was effective in not introducing any performance hit. But nevertheless, the impact was that games were essentially vsync-forced at that point (obviously, your usual Windows experience never has any tearing, so any games run in that mode wouldn't have any tearing either, regardless of in-game vsync settings).

From Microsoft https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/os-variable-refresh-rate/

This new OS support is only to augment these experiences and does not replace them. You should continue to use G-SYNC / FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync normally. This toggle doesn’t override any of the settings you’ve already configured in the G-SYNC, FreeSync, or Adaptive-Sync control panels.

This new toggle enables VRR support for DX11 full-screen games that did not support VRR natively, so these games can now benefit from your VRR hardware.
So for those of you experiencing some vague improvement with that setting toggled, my theory is that it's actually mostly the FPS limiter you just configured at the same time as enabling the VRR option in Windows. Or, this toggle does actually change the way Windows behaves in capturing some games under DWM. But I still feel this is unlikely: many of you are saying to disable fullscreen optimizations to get this to work, which should also disable that fake-exclusive-fullscreen behavior. At the same time, my understanding of the Windows VRR feature is that its whole point is to re-enable VRR for DX11 games that are captured by DWM's fake-exclusive-fullscreen, because they probably broke GSYNC by implementing that originally. So if you're following me, it doesn't make any sense that this is actually working--if it is, I'm certain it's just feels different/better, but not because of any actual VRR.

So anyway, keep on keeping on if this helps your gameplay experience, but don't hold out on enabling GSYNC for real when the firmware updates come.

#2,574 ·
I'd be curious to know, after a reboot, whether your games still feel the same?
Running 04.80.03 version on C9 with the RTX 3090 and now finally i managed to have instant game response on (screenshift off) and not get flicker or half-screens etc. I just disabled that "enable gsync for xy screen" but left the first box checked.
In the 3d settings i have vsync on and no limited framerate, which means its 120 tops now. Running RGB Full 10 bit in UHD res and its mostly fine in games. There are here and there some minor stutters but nothing i could not handle. Turning vsync off in 3d settins introduces tearing.
So i guess i am fine for now until LG brings the official firmware update.

#2,576 ·
In nvidia control panel,my setting only can set(8bit color on 4k/60hz)between my rtx3080 and lg oled e9p,also if set on 120hz
But when i set the color to rgb 10/12bit,even 4.4.4 or 4.2.0 format,my screen will keep flickers:cry:,the hdmi cable i test on ps4 and oppo bluray player is work fine,And my e9p is up to beta firmware 5.00.02
anyone can tech or explain me how can fix it???is it the windows10 problem???thanks alot

#2,577 ·
I have been doing some testing on the 4k high (90+) frame rate stutters with gsync on, with the engineering 04.90.33 update.
But the testing is a pain in the bottom honestly :D
Reducing frame limit cap seems to help the stutters the more you lower it, however this is also because the card has less and less issue remaining in that maximum enforced frame rate so stutters do not happen (as) often.
So I have to find games who fluctuate in a very specific fps range.

I also don't know if this is a LG firmware issue or a Nvidia driver issue or both.
Since the LG televisions being far from the only thing having gsync issues with the new cards, it might also be Nvidia driver related.
I feel like i should just go into wait and see mode with new drivers and firmwares coming and more hdmi 2.1 devices showing up.
I feel like these are some early adopter issues with hdmi 2.1 and high tech devices using those options for the first time.

I also have to remind myself that this 04.09.33 firmware i am using, is not officially released firmware, official firmware release could straighten this issue out also.
The stutters are not huge and there are workarounds like capping the framerate, so I am not hugely concerned.

#2,580 ·
Sorry my brain is FRIED. I've read and read and read. I'm super lost.

I am trying to get into the engineering mode on my LG C9 so I can update to the US firmware to fix my issue.

All I have is the magic remote. I saw and used the 1111 trick from channels / channel tuning and you go into a diagnostics screen.

is there a way to get into the engineering screen? Thank you in advance. And god bless anyone who helps. My eyes are on fire.

#2,582 ·
Okay I will just wait for the firmware to get pushed to me. I just didnt want to wait up to 5 days. Thank you

#2,585 ·
Noticed a weird thing on 05.00.03 firmware. When you press the Home button, a bar shows up on the bottom of the screen, as usual.
But when starting up the TV, this bar appears after a few seconds automatically. Not a big deal, just need to Exit out but it wasn't automatically there upon start up before 05.00.03.
Anyone else getting this or know how to disable this by any chance?

#2,591 ·
And unless if you're talking about stuttering from an unoptimized game or stuttering perceived from frame time spikes, g-sync absolutely is stutter free. And in that tomb raider video it's very obvious that the stutter isn't because of a CPU or game optimization issue.

You are literally closing your eyes, plugging your ears, and screaming that there isn't an issue when there is.

#2,594 ·
This reminds of of the people who claim that their TV doesn't have the raised black levels/gamma shift issues in VRR, even though LG acknowledged that it's a panel issue that they're now aware of and working on. Just because you think the issue is fixed and you think you resolved the issue doesn't mean it is.

By the way, I just ran the pendulum demo since you keep bringing it up and I'm not seeing any tearing or stutter in it either. That doesn't mean that VRR in fullscreen games magically works on the LG OLED.

As explained here, it's not a system-wide VRR toggle, but only for certain apps and Windows store games:

You can't look at the pendulum demo and claim the issue is fixed, then give your anecdotal experience in games where you can't see stutter and claim it's fixed at a system level. It's not that simple.

#2,597 ·
The new firmware 5.00.03 in engineering mode (US) works well with GSYNC. Still have the occasional no signal stuff on bootup and what not, but GSYNC and Modern Warfare at 4k 120 is just a beautiful thing.

#2,601 ·
ok so just to make sure everyone is on the same page, what @dcr1989 said was he encountered several graphical issues (black screen every 10 seconds, black artifacts) with gsync enabled on his hdmi 2.1 device. Now if he enables the windows vrr toggle as well (while gsync is still enabled in nvcp), the problem is fixed for some reason. Is this correct? If it is correct (and it seems several people report that it indeed works), is there anyone who tried the same thing but it did not work?

#2,618 · (Edited)
Not sure how res is related to refresh rate, but also I've wondered what that total res number even means.
So the standard HDMI Htotal and Vtotal for 3840 x 2160 is 4400 x 2250. Multiply them together and you get 4400 x 2250 = 9,900,000 pixels. Multiply that by 120Hz and you get 1,188,000,000Hz (1188MHz) pixel clock. The NV control panel probably shows this pixel clock number somewhere.

So now what happens if you extend the vertical blanking interval? Let's say it was extended and the Vtotal is now 2700. So 4400 x 2700 = 11,880,000 pixels. Since the pixel clock stays constant we divide 1,188,000,000Hz / 11,880,000 = 100Hz. Tada! The video card just dropped the refresh rate to 100Hz without having to do a full HDMI resync with the display.

#2,611 · (Edited)
EUREKA! I found a GE ( CL4 ) all in one remote

My eyes are now dead, brain is fried. Ok, WOW ... after digging around in old boxes for literally 2 hours, I found a GE ( CL4 ) all in one remote. Will this work for the secret menu?

I am trying like hell to get the new firmware. I programmed the remote and it's correctly turning on / off the TV, input works as well as MENU.

Thanks so much everyone for helping me and others. I apologize. I've been awake all night trying to do this. I was literally falling asleep when I was sitting down digging around my old boxes.

I pray to god this GE ( CL4 ) All in One Remote will work.

What do I do now?