AVS Forum banner

2019 LG C9–E9 dedicated GAMING thread, consoles and PC

819K views 7K replies 557 participants last post by  b0rnarian 
#1 · (Edited)
The LG OLED C9 and E9 are fantastic displays for watching movies/TV, and even better for playing console and/or PC games. With many cutting edge features like Variable Refresh Rates, G-sync, HDMI 2.1, Auto Low Latency Mode, HGiG and more, it's a great way to enhance the gaming experience.

But with the cutting edge often comes questions about setting the display for the best performance and picture quality. This is the thread to discuss this! What works well for you, what don't you understand, what games really show off this beautiful display...?

If you are a dedicated console or PC gamer and have a LG OLED, or are thinking of getting one, please SUBSCRIBE to this thread and participate in the discussion.

#2,664 · (Edited)
Edit - playing catch up... Warning, you may not want to install this version acording to A POST ON THE LAST PAGE... YMMV
UK user... I was only offed up Eng Fw 05.10.02 - which worked fine and fixed my G-Sync issues. Many others before me on the forum were offered up a 04.xx.xx Fw. This may be regional variance? (i.e. EU 'v' UK).

#2,625 ·
I did the Chat, and chose repair option. Told the guy if he didn't know what i was referring to would he check with his supervisor. Instantly knew what I was talking about and put me on the list. However I was impatient and installed the engineering version last night. Either way I have GSYNC and happy for the moment.

#2,623 ·
Didn't Windows explained that it needs to be a game. You can't just activate this VRR on just any software or app.
The point of the test/demo program is to act like a game as far as Windows is concerned. I'm sure it's using DirectX API calls and whatnot just like a game would.

Do you actually think Windows would tell the difference between the demo and an actual title and decide to not give you VRR in the demo? Or that someone would have deliberately programmed that into this functionality?

#2,633 · (Edited)
Remote control method

1. You will need a remote control that have the codes to send to your LG B9 TV(Harmony remote,LG Factory Service Remote Control or similar)
2. With LG Factory Service Remote Control
3. Press the instart command on the LG Factory Service Remote Control
4. Now you need to input a code on your tv. Input 0413 with the LG Factory Service Remote Control
5. Navigate to system 2 and change from user to engineer in NSU (dont touch anything else!,do not hit exit ever)
6. Exit the service menu with the instart button again(Whatever button you touch first on the LG Factory Service Remote Control you need to use the same button to get out of menu)
7. To have the change active restart LG TV.After restart update normally when in engineer mode, eventually it will come up
8. Turn the TV back to user after updating(Steps 2-6 again)
9. You need to turn off the tv and the pc completely . Power down,unplug the plug and de-energize TV and PC by pressing power button, before G-sync works correctly

Phone with ir blaster and app(not all models of phones with ir blaster work,check app for phones that work

1. Any app on a phone with ir blaster that is compatible with the phone and lets you add commands(anymote app)
2, With phone manually add theinstart command thru the app
3. Activate the instart command on the IR phone
4. Now you need to input a code on your tv. Input 0413 with the LG magic remote for TV
5. Navigate to system 2 and change from user to engineer in NSU (dont touch anything else!)
6. Exit the service menu with the instart button again
7. To have the change active restart LG TV.After restart update normally when in engineer mode, eventually it will come up
8. Turn the TV back to user after updating(Steps 2-6 again)
9. You need to turn off the tv and the pc completely . Power down,unplug the plug and de-energize TV and PC by pressing power button, before G-sync works correctly

#2,643 · (Edited)
Hi,

Aside of the gsync thing, did someone manage to get good results with ampere cards, LG c9 and 30feet+ hdmi cable?

I've tried 2 active cables (microconnect 2.1 8k, InAkustik 2.1
8k) and my old passive 2.0, no way to get over 1080p 120hz with ****ty colors, or 1440p 60hz with input lag... maybe compatibility issue with active cables?

I'd like to get 1440p 120hz at least while waiting compatible 2.1 30 feet cable to work ...

#2,645 ·
Hi,

Aside of the gsync thing, did someone manage to get good results with ampere cards, LG c9 and 30feet+ hdmi cable?

I've tried 2 active cables (microconnect 2.1 8k, InAkustik 2.1
8k) and my old passive 2.0, no way to get over 1080p 120hz with ****ty colors, or 1440p 60hz with input lag... maybe compatibility issue with active cables?

I'd like to get 1440p 120hz at least while waiting compatible 2.1 30 feet cable to work ...
Active cables generally cause some input lag and have more handshaking issues. Your best bet at 30+ feet is a fiber optics HDMI cable rated at 48Gbps. I would personally try to get your computer closer, at ~15 feet you can use a standard high quality copper cable for 48Gbps.

#2,647 ·
I wonder if anyone can help me? Ive tried to read backwards through the thread but haven’t found the answer to my issue. I’ve got an E9 LG Oled and have just got hold of a 3080 and installed the card, however i can only get as far as the MSI screen and or Bios on boot up, after that i get no signal prior to reaching the windows login......If i connect the pc via a AV Receiver i can see the screen as per normal but connected directly to the LG i get nothing

Any Ideas what the issue may be?

Thanks In Advance for any help you can offer.

#2,649 · (Edited)
I wonder if anyone can help me? Ive tried to read backwards through the thread but haven’t found the answer to my issue. I’ve got an E9 LG Oled and have just got hold of a 3080 and installed the card, however i can only get as far as the MSI screen and or Bios on boot up, after that i get no signal prior to reaching the windows login......If i connect the pc via a AV Receiver i can see the screen as per normal but connected directly to the LG i get nothing

Any Ideas what the issue may be?

Thanks In Advance for any help you can offer.
Sounds like EDID issues. Unplug HDMI cable completely. Unplug your TV and computer from wall. Hit power buttons a few time on each to drain energy completely and then wait another minute or so. Then connect the HDMI back up directly and try again.

Going from receiver to direct and vice versa usually requires a cold boot because HDMI is finicky.

I was having same issue, but seems to be fixed with the new firmware 5.00.03. At least on my end. Also just for note when I was listening to 2 channel audio like dts x headphone or dolby atmos headphones it didn't skip in and out, but when using Dolby Atmos it did.
That's amazing to hear if true. I also was having audio drops with eARC + Atmos codec ever since upgrading to the 3090. 5.1/7.1 work fine though.

Fully agree. The version that Vincent even tested was the 4.90.33. Not the 05.00.03.

As Hifi4Vision have brought up, the previous engineering firmware was 5.00.02 while the test firmware was v04.90.33. There are advantages to the 05.00.03 version for sure like an upgrades WebOS version compared to the current one. But seeing as some testers have said that even on the engineering firmware, G-Sync isn't working properly at around 120Hz, if there are no more engineering versions and only official updates, you'll be stuck with the 05.00.03 version until the official firmware goes above that number.

Edit: Ok. Thanks to dfa973's tracking and compilation, and me checking the C6 all the way to CX firmware upgrade numbers, it seems to be fine to use the engineering firmware. Based on how the release schedule is.

• 04.70.05 - official firmware, 18 Oct 2019
  • 04.71.02 - beta firmware, enables G-SYNC compatibility for all regions - Nov 2019
  • 04.71.05 - official firmware, Dec 2019
  • 04.71.10 - official firmware, South Korea - Ian 2020
  • 04.71.15 - beta firmware, unknown changes - Feb 2020
  • 04.71.25 - beta firmware, unknown changes - Feb 2020
  • 04.71.25 - official firmware, US + EU - March 2020
  • 04.80.01 - test firmware, updated webOS version 4.8.0, other changes are as usual unknown - April 2020
  • 04.80.03 - beta firmware, KR, US, EU, June 2020
  • 04.80.12 - beta firmware, unknown changes - Oct 2019
Thanks for doing the research, going to pull the trigger and swap to engineering mode then. It fixes two major issues of mine apparently.

EDIT: Swapped 20 minutes ago still not finding an update in the US. How long did you guys wait?
EDIT2: Took about 30 minutes and it showed up.

#2,660 · (Edited)
I just updated to 5.00.03 (US version). I think immediately cold booted the TV, receiver, and my PC to ensure a new HDMI handshake is made.

First thing I tested was eARC Atmos via PC (7.2.4). It now works. No audio drops! EDIT: Spoke too soon still getting a few drops while testing tomb raider.
Second thing I tested was a few games with GSYNC @ 4K120hz. No issues or tearing! Butter smooth.

Great job LG. Now if Denon can only get their HDMI2.1 issues fixed. :rolleyes:

My NVIDIA settings are as followed:
Low Latency Mode - On
Max Frame Rate - 117
Power manage mode - Prefer maximium performance
Texture filter Quality - High quality
Vertical sync - Use the 3D application setting (When you are capping at 3FPS below your native, as recommended, you should never engage VSYNC. I don't recommend forcing it off though since some older games use it as a hardcoded 30/60FPS cap and going above those frames can break certain titles.)

#2,667 ·
Well I ordered the LG service remote from Amazon. I get it the 8th which is about midway thru the 5 day wait period. A $10 gamble for sure. I have a feeling that the firmware will NOT come any sooner but, rather, later toward or past the 5 day time frame that was given to me. We shall see.

#2,668 ·
I'm also having issues with my Zeskit 8K 10 foot cable I ordered about a year ago. It's fine 99% of the time, but initial boot up gives some artifacting for a few seconds. After that, I get single-frame random pixel color flashes sporadically thereafter from what I can tell.

#2,673 · (Edited)
This may not be the cable, though my Zeskit cables did not pass 40Gbps tester reliably every time. They would pass and then fail at random. The 15ft BJC cable rated at 18Gbps passed 40Gbps every time.

However, I still get what you are seeing. Sometimes when I first boot PC I must pull HDMI cable out and then plug it back in. This fixes the artifacting which makes me believe it's a HDMI handshaking issue. These bugs should hopefully be fixed over time with firmware updates. The single-frame pixel color flashes are an LG OLED PC mode bug that has gone back many many years. I assume you mean the red flashes? I had LG swap my E6 three times over it but there is no real solution and LG refuses to admit it happens.

There are ways to reduce it though:
  • Don't use 120hz. Use 119.88hz. NVIDIA drivers do this by default when you select 120hz, so just make sure you are selecting 119.88 in windows and games when given the option.
  • Turn off pixel shift and logo luminance under additional OLED settings. Logo Luminance cause the problem to be much worse. Make sure your hiding desktop icons and auto hiding task bar or you risk getting burn-in in a few months with these disabled.
  • Turn off Live Plus in your TV's general settings.
After that I get the red flash maybe 1 or 2 times a day versus 5-6 times an hour.

Hmm what about blurbusters recommendation? G-SYNC 101: Closing FAQ | Blur Busters
G-SYNC 101: Closing FAQ | Blur Busters
Not going to copy/paste the whole thing since there is a lot of info there but following the link and clicking that question should reveal the whole explanation.
Has there been new development because of 2.1 or 3000 series that allows us to keep vsync off or use application settings?
To my understanding that's if you are capping FPS at your native refresh rate and not -3 below. However then they go on to say to cap at -3. I honestly have no clue why they suggest both. I tried to wrap my head around the explanation but it's going over my head. I am going to test later today to see if I can see or feel a difference with VSYNC on/off with GSYNC capped at 117.

#2,685 · (Edited)
Hmm...I’m not able to turn on HDMI Deep Color and Gsync isn’t showing up for me with 05.00.03. I’ve turned off my TV and Computer a handful of times. I also just realized that I’m stuck with this firmware until LG releases a newer one.

Am I out of luck?

Edit: I turned HDMI Deep Color on again and now everything works. Thank you all for sharing these great tips!

#2,700 ·
The engineering firmware (US) works on my C9. I had to restart several times to get it working. Also right before I got it working I manually set the color profile to :

RGB, Full, 10bit

instead of default. Not sure if that helped or just coincidence, but the pendulum demo finally worked after that. I’m also on the hotfix Nvidia driver.

#2,710 ·

This is a 1080p version of my set running VRR in a variety of circumstances. There are sub 60 smooth gameplay (w/ and w/o vsync), there is over 60 fps gameplay with vsync on, and also off for a few moments. There is near max refresh rate play from doom eternal, hovering around 100-120 w vsync.
For those who want no vsync, I gave you the gift at the end. It is a game running sub 40 fps at times and it fluctuates wildly, avengers, and I left vsync off. Firstly, I'd recommend reading up on vsync behavior on fixed refresh vsvariable. They're two totally different animals and the fact that VSYNC can variably match the performance of my card proves VRR IS WORKING. There is no situation in which that happens that isn't VRR. Their may be oddball errors or buffering, but that doesn't match what I'm showing for several reasons. Buffers don't let you go 7 fps over standard ref rate. And above all, their would have been tearing. I noticed mild tearing with vysnc off at times, just like with gsync, but it was next to nothing. VSYNC on, however? Never saw one tear or any issue.

But yes go watch the avengers at 35-65 wildly fluctuating, no vsync, and you tell me that's not VRR. That situation would be an unwatchable tearing mess with standard vsync and you all know it.

#2,711 ·
  • why is this a 15-minute long video?
  • why is in-game vsync even enabled in the first place?
  • go to nvcp to enable vsync as well as gsync compatible and set max framerate to 3fps lower than max refresh rate, launch shadow of tomb raider, disable in-game vsync, run in-game benchmark, during the carnival part and camera rotating around Lara, if vrr is not working, tearing will be extremely obvious.

#2,721 · (Edited)
I mean we can keep debating over if VRR works or not but does it really matter at this point? Go on live chat and get the update pushed to your TV in ~5 days or update to 05.00.03 now via engineer method and enjoy GSYNC right now.

As someone who tested VRR earlier today, then updated to 05.00.03, GSYNC feels significantly smoother to me. That is not surprising from what I read about the two technologies. VRR is a HDMI 2.1 feature that simply matches the display refresh rate to the current FPS while ignoring frame timings. It's a great feature if you didn't have GSYNC. However, GSYNC does the same but also (from what I understand) attempts to smooth out frame timing variances.

Now that description might not be 100% accurate but GSYNC definitely feels smoother.

Disable live plus in general settings on TV

#2,723 ·
To avoid unnecessary confusion, can we all agree to stop using the term gsync? The c9 and the cx don't support gsync. They support hdmi-vrr. Screw nvidia for coming up with the term "gsync compatible".