2019 LG C9–E9 dedicated GAMING thread, consoles and PC - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 449Likes

post #871 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys I'm running an amd rxvega 64 card with c9 oled freesync activated with cru
I want to share my fix for 1440p 120hz
If you have cru already installed select reset all and reboot computer, make sure resolution is set to to your native Res go into cru delete all tv resolutions except for 1080p 120hz
And reboot
steam games work fine it's just origin and uplay that have problems with full screen 1440p 120hz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Forgot to say select 1440 120hz in display adapter settings
post #873 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I received my 77C9 Saturday morning and spent most of the day playing with my new toy

I was able to get LPCM passed through to my Denon 4400 via the SHARC eARCH appliance after some initial frustration. It turns out the default HDMI capable that came with the device can not pass lossless audio and once I switched it out with a certified HDMI2.0 capable, I was able to get lossless audio working.

I've left Windows set to output Dolby Atmos for Home Theater. I get LPCM for games that don't support Atmos and Atmos/TrueHD from games that do. Everything sounds great and no lip-sync issues! I also tested the internal LG apps and audio sounds works well there too.

Thanks to everyone for the tip on that device! It saved me the need to upgrade my AVR.

The only oddness I've seen is that sometimes when I switch inputs and come back to my PC, I get some overscan with the picture and the taskbar gets partially cut-off. If I re-run the restart64.exe from the CRU tool, it corrects the issue. Has anyone else seen this?

My RTX card is set to arrive on Wednesday so for now I'm using my 1080Ti which means I can't take advantage of G-sync yet. I have to say though that gaming at 1440p 120hz is a revelation! I played a good amount of Shadow of Tomb Raider and RE3 yesterday and both ran beautifully!

Is it recommended to leave Windows in HDR mode on the desktop or does it increase risk of burn-in? I was actually impressed with the overall look of the desktop in HDR. With my old Sony LCD, the text would look very blurry and washed-out in HDR mode, but I don't see those issues with the C9.

I've taken some of the common steps to reduce burn-in risk by enabling auto-hide on taskbar, removing desktop icons and switching background color to black. Any other tips I should be aware off?

Also watched Lego Movie 2 UHD with my son on my new UB820 media player and he was also suitably impressed
DaverJ and mboojigga like this.

AV equipment: LG 77C9, Sony 65X930E, Denon X4400H, Panasonic UB820, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
Is it recommended to leave Windows in HDR mode on the desktop or does it increase risk of burn-in? I was actually impressed with the overall look of the desktop in HDR. With my old Sony LCD, the text would look very blurry and washed-out in HDR mode, but I don't see those issues with the C9.

I think this is a preference thing, not sure if desktop HDR on would increase burn-in, but I could see a case for it. Many games don't need the desktop to be in HDR mode, but some do. So I leave it off because the majority of my PC viewing is SDR, but any game that does need desktop HDR on I add "triggerHDR" to the game's shortcut as a reminder. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is one of those "trigger" games, as is Borderlands 3 and Gears 5. But other games like Far Cry 5, Doom Eternal, RE2, Destiny 2, etc., will go into HDR if set regardless of the desktop setting.

Good to hear you are liking the C9, and that the ShARC worked for you.
Jimmy2Shoes likes this.
post #875 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
I received my 77C9 Saturday morning and spent most of the day playing with my new toy

I was able to get LPCM passed through to my Denon 4400 via the SHARC eARCH appliance after some initial frustration. It turns out the default HDMI capable that came with the device can not pass lossless audio and once I switched it out with a certified HDMI2.0 capable, I was able to get lossless audio working.

I've left Windows set to output Dolby Atmos for Home Theater. I get LPCM for games that don't support Atmos and Atmos/TrueHD from games that do. Everything sounds great and no lip-sync issues! I also tested the internal LG apps and audio sounds works well there too.

Thanks to everyone for the tip on that device! It saved me the need to upgrade my AVR.

The only oddness I've seen is that sometimes when I switch inputs and come back to my PC, I get some overscan with the picture and the taskbar gets partially cut-off. If I re-run the restart64.exe from the CRU tool, it corrects the issue. Has anyone else seen this?

My RTX card is set to arrive on Wednesday so for now I'm using my 1080Ti which means I can't take advantage of G-sync yet. I have to say though that gaming at 1440p 120hz is a revelation! I played a good amount of Shadow of Tomb Raider and RE3 yesterday and both ran beautifully!

I've taken some of the common steps to reduce burn-in risk by enabling auto-hide on taskbar, removing desktop icons and switching background color to black. Any other tips I should be aware off?

Also watched Lego Movie 2 UHD with my son on my new UB820 media player and he was also suitably impressed
How my desktop background looks on my 77C9
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D48FBBCF-3472-4D4F-B19F-1A5E15EAD6ED.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	2731922  

The 5.0 is here
post #876 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
hello guys, can the C9 4k 120 fps for gaming ?or is it only possible with cx?

Last edited by Jakob D.; 05-24-2020 at 12:13 PM.
post #877 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 343
For those that have a black background but would like something that is dynamic in motion and auto switches to hundreds of different backgrounds, I recommend a program called Wallpaper Engine

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4...lpaper_Engine/

I have been using it for years on Oled's and keep many different profiles for different scenes, I have never had issues with it and is perfect a backgrounds manager, when using oled it's better to have all the pixels been used at the same time and degrade at the same time

Plus it looks amazing 4 euro you can't go wrong
post #878 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I kind of just impulse bought a 55 C9 for the bedroom. We were out, wife said she wanted to put the KS8000 in the kids room so we grabbed a C9 to replace it. Question is, I didnt put much thought in to it. Am I going to regret not getting the CX? The C9 was 300 cheaper and I wasnt really sure what upgrades they did to it and I just remember the B9/C9 being the hot stuff with rtings last year.
post #879 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz5521 View Post
I kind of just impulse bought a 55 C9 for the bedroom. We were out, wife said she wanted to put the KS8000 in the kids room so we grabbed a C9 to replace it. Question is, I didnt put much thought in to it. Am I going to regret not getting the CX? The C9 was 300 cheaper and I wasnt really sure what upgrades they did to it and I just remember the B9/C9 being the hot stuff with rtings last year.

The biggest feature for the CX and all 2020 Oled panels for me is 120hz BFI, this was supposed to be on the 2019 panels but never made it, otherwise your good as gold with the C9 enjoy it's a fantastic Tv
post #880 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 01:19 PM

Well so far its awesome. My 82 inch MU8000 in the living rooms sucks and cant play HDR because everything is so dark. I just put John Wick in 4K HDR on the C9 and it looks awesome just with the standard picture mode and all the interpolation stuff turned off.
post #881 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob D. View Post
hello guys, can the C9 4k 120 fps for gaming ?or is it only possible with cx?

With HDMI 2.0 devices, 4k/120 is only available on the CX, at least in terms of LG OLEDs. But when HDMI 2.1 GPUs and game consoles are available, it remains to be seen -- but 4k/120 is a part of the HDMI 2.1 spec and the C9 does have HDMI 2.1 ports, so it stands to reason it should work once devices are available.
Jakob D. likes this.
post #882 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thank you Daver
post #883 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2Shoes View Post
The biggest feature for the CX and all 2020 Oled panels for me is 120hz BFI, this was supposed to be on the 2019 panels but never made it, otherwise your good as gold with the C9 enjoy it's a fantastic Tv
The Main difference with the c9 is just the bfi, but what is that? XD
post #884 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymblos View Post
The Main difference with the c9 is just the bfi, but what is that? XD

A world of darkness... I was playing with it on my CX before I returned it, and I it was effective on Medium level (High unusable due to flicker like the C9 mode) but at the expense of a big brightness hit, so much so I would have had to totally mess up all the other settings and be in the dark to compensate. So I didn’t bother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DaverJ and Jimmy2Shoes like this.
post #885 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
A world of darkness... I was playing with it on my CX before I returned it, and I it was effective on Medium level (High unusable due to flicker like the C9 mode) but at the expense of a big brightness hit, so much so I would have had to totally mess up all the other settings and be in the dark to compensate. So I didn’t bother.

the BFI brightness hit is on PC, Consoles or both?
this can be fixed, i mean, use that feature without brigthness hit.. I play in a Dark Room.. so anything that diimm the image, is usless for me
post #886 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
this can be fixed, i mean, use that feature without brigthness hit.. I play in a Dark Room.. so anything that diimm the image, is usless for me
BFI - Black Frame Insertion
It is used for motion particularly on movies
On the the C9 you could only choose one setting, which was a high. This gives a noticeable flicker and reduction in peak luminance
With the CX you now as noted in the previous post have different options, choosing low and medium reduces the flicker and the peak luminance losing only a few nits
This is great for Oleds as they are so responsive, so 24p was always a challenge to get good motion no matter what brand the TV Oled is
For gaming BFI is not needed as most will be using 60-120hz content which works very well with Oleds partically with gaming
Vincent at HDTV test has done a run down with the new panasonic oled, and BFI was pretty most worthy mention in this review.

post #887 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
BFI - Black Frame Insertion
It is used for motion particularly on movies
On the the C9 you could only choose one setting, which was a high. This gives a noticeable flicker and reduction in peak luminance
With the CX you now as noted in the previous post have different options, choosing low and medium reduces the flicker and the peak luminance losing only a few nits
This is great for Oleds as they are so responsive, so 24p was always a challenge to get good motion no matter what brand the TV Oled is
For gaming BFI is not needed as most will be using 60-120hz content which works very well with Oleds partically with gaming
Vincent at HDTV test has done a run down with the new panasonic oled, and BFI was pretty most worthy mention in this review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe2lIm-JAWM
ok, then for next gen console or pc gaming (high end 2080ti or upcoming ampere) BFI is .. usless? if that is corrent, then there is no reason (for me) to buy a CX.. C9 is currently cheaper in my country
post #888 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
ok, then for next gen console or pc gaming (high end 2080ti or upcoming ampere) BFI is .. usless? if that is corrent, then there is no reason (for me) to buy a CX.. C9 is currently cheaper in my country
Correct, it's more useful for 24p movies in SDR otherwise the CX is pretty much the same as the C9 and will be excellent for upcoming consoles and GPU's and will use 4k 120hz HDMI 2.1, so if that's your primary content then go for the C9
wardie likes this.
post #889 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Correct, it's more useful for 24p movies in SDR otherwise the CX is pretty much the same as the C9 and will be excellent for upcoming consoles and GPU's and will use 4k 120hz HDMI 2.1, so if that's your primary content then go for the C9
ok, btw, i forget ask, which is the current status of vrr and gsync in c9 and cx?
post #890 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
ok, btw, i forget ask, which is the current status of vrr and gsync in c9 and cx?

G-sync (VRR) over HDMI works great* on the c9 with an NVIDIA RTX or GTX series 16xx GPU, and I assume CX too. There's also hacks to get Freesync working for AMD GPUs. There's not much vrr on Xbox One to speak of, but what's there works, too.

*That said, there's a very slight issue with raised near-black grey levels with G-sync enabled, which a slight brightness adjustment can fix for the most part.
post #891 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:

Dimblos has explained it above, but the content I was watching was both BluRay material via the Xbox and also live TV via cable. It’s only going to be any real benefit in 24fps anyway but I really noticed the brightness hit on Medium setting. I was in a dimly lit (but not dark) room in ISF Expert Bright.

post #892 of 1126 Old 05-24-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:

Here’s hoping... apparently on the CX thread the new firmware is touted as having HDR/DV improvements... I’m guessing it’s unlikely reading what LG Is like that this will make it to C9? Either way though if the C9 is close to the CX, problems with panels specific aside, then I guess it boils down to value difference - which in UK is still massive as CX is 40% more than the C9’s left now i.e. hard to justify. Sounds like in other countries its closer.

post #893 of 1126 Old 05-25-2020, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Umm, BFI is FANTASTIC on the C9 and eliminates most motion blur when gaming. The TV is plenty bright, and so turning on BFI with OLED Light at 100 is akin to not having it on with the backlight at 40-50. Assuming you have a light controlled room where the TV is located.

The only problem I have with BFI is that it doesn't work when you have instant game response on. You have to turn IGG off for BFI to work.

In any case, play this (at 60hz) and tell me it doesn't do much.

https://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=...uit=0&height=0

Turn OLED Motion on and then off, and tell me it's not night and day. You can actually read the street names with OLED Motion on.

The same works for gaming. Everything in motion is MUCH sharper. Basically, it's the same exact legibility as 120hz with OLED Motion Off. 120hz obviously has more frames/smoothness, but the clarity of the motion itself is the same.

Yes, it flickers. But spend a day with it, and you'll find that your eyes adapt to the flicker and it becomes much less noticeable the longer you use it. When gaming, you won't even think about the flicker to where it more or less disappears. It's like when you first come into a dark room. What happens? You can't see anything. But after awhile, your eyes adjust, and you can see. Well, the BFI flicker, it's the same. You spend SOME time with it, the flickering will cease to be an issue.

I just had to say it. People hate on BFI without truly understanding the benefits of it. It's why sites like BlurBusters exist, and why Nvidia has ULMB tech.

It's a blessing for 60fps games. I never game without it, and in my bedroom, the TV is plenty bright.
DaverJ, Redmist and Jimmy2Shoes like this.

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 05-25-2020 at 05:03 AM.
post #894 of 1126 Old 05-25-2020, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
In my opinion only purpose of BFI at 120Hz is for gaming. There really is night and day difference with and without BFI. Used 144Hz with BFI long time now. With 25%/75% frame/black timings 144Hz LCD can look crystal clear with 1000px/s movement. Id say really close to high-end CRT clarity.
post #895 of 1126 Old 05-25-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:

Watch the first 15mins of John Wick 2 and you won’t have any regrets. It’s really shows off what an OLED can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #896 of 1126 Old 05-25-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
Umm, BFI is FANTASTIC on the C9 and eliminates most motion blur when gaming. The TV is plenty bright, and so turning on BFI with OLED Light at 100 is akin to not having it on with the backlight at 40-50. Assuming you have a light controlled room where the TV is located.

The only problem I have with BFI is that it doesn't work when you have instant game response on. You have to turn IGG off for BFI to work.

Turn OLED Motion on and then off, and tell me it's not night and day. You can actually read the street names with OLED Motion on.

The same works for gaming. Everything in motion is MUCH sharper. Basically, it's the same exact legibility as 120hz with OLED Motion Off. 120hz obviously has more frames/smoothness, but the clarity of the motion itself is the same.

Yes, it flickers. But spend a day with it, and you'll find that your eyes adapt to the flicker and it becomes much less noticeable the longer you use it. When gaming, you won't even think about the flicker to where it more or less disappears. It's like when you first come into a dark room. What happens? You can't see anything. But after awhile, your eyes adjust, and you can see. Well, the BFI flicker, it's the same. You spend SOME time with it, the flickering will cease to be an issue.

I just had to say it. People hate on BFI without truly understanding the benefits of it. It's why sites like BlurBusters exist, and why Nvidia has ULMB tech.

It's a blessing for 60fps games. I never game without it, and in my bedroom, the TV is plenty bright.
Interesting I never had a problem with 60hz gaming, but I will give it a go for a while and see what it is like
post #897 of 1126 Old 05-25-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Quote:

Watch the first 15mins of John Wick 2 and you won’️t have any regrets. It’️s really shows off what an OLED can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its great. I love it. Havent been this happy with a TV so far since plasma. I like it enough that I’m going to get a 65 inch CX for my upstairs lounge room/movie room or whatever you want to call it.
post #898 of 1126 Old 05-25-2020, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Seeing as the C9 is sold out at most everywhere, I was considering getting an E9, as they can be had for cheaper still than the CX.

Is there any difference between the C9 and the E9, other than the better speakers in the E9?

I know there was a post a while back that showed you how to use CRU to get LPCM with a PC, does that trick work on the E9 too? (And if you have the post, please share it again!)

Sorry for the plethora of questions, but any help would be appreciated!
post #899 of 1126 Old 05-26-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post

Well I gave it a go for 2 two days on and off and I think it's totally unusable on the C9, the flicker is way too much and made me feel sick a times. I'm not against BFI but on the C9 it's just too aggressive IMHO, I'm sure the CX and other 2020 Oled's will be better for this as it has different settings like low,medium and high. High like the C9 is way too much and although the Blur buster test does look smoother and more clear, the flicker is distracting and would give you headaches. This goes for all content including gaming. So for me BFI on the C9 is a no go.
Plus I feel flicker like this can't be healthy for your eyes, one shouldn't have to adjust to such a condition if my brain rejects it at first it tells me that it doesn't like it
Lors likes this.

Last edited by Jimmy2Shoes; 05-26-2020 at 05:44 AM.
post #900 of 1126 Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmohawk View Post
Seeing as the C9 is sold out at most everywhere, I was considering getting an E9, as they can be had for cheaper still than the CX.

Is there any difference between the C9 and the E9, other than the better speakers in the E9?

I know there was a post a while back that showed you how to use CRU to get LPCM with a PC, does that trick work on the E9 too? (And if you have the post, please share it again!)

Sorry for the plethora of questions, but any help would be appreciated!
I believe the E9 features the all-glass design with a floating pedestal look. Only you can decide if it is worth the price premium.

If you are going to wall-mount the TV or hook it up to an external sound system, it may not be worth the premium.

The CRU tool trick to enable LPCM should also work with E9 I believe.

AV equipment: LG 77C9, Sony 65X930E, Denon X4400H, Panasonic UB820, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page