2019 LG C9–E9 dedicated GAMING thread, consoles and PC - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #931 of 1092 Old 05-29-2020, 09:37 AM
Member
 
22Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: USA - Rhode Island
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLAsN View Post
more realistic/natural which many more colour information that will help the TV to display information close to what we can see in real life

Yea this was more noticeable in a fire scene in the game for example.

Dell Alienware Aurora R7 - Liquid Cooled - CPU: Intel i7 8700K - 16GB Dual Channel DDR4
Graphics: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra Gaming 11GB GDDR6
Display: LG 65' C9 OLED
SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Gaming Headset w/ SteelSeries RIVAL 650 Wireless Mouse
LG OLED C9/E9 dedicated GAMING thread
22Green is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #932 of 1092 Old 05-31-2020, 02:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just picked up a new c9 what's the score with sharpness should it be 0 or 10 and why on the cinema home preset is it 20??
Dale Broadley is offline  
post #933 of 1092 Old 05-31-2020, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Broadley View Post
Just picked up a new c9 what's the score with sharpness should it be 0 or 10 and why on the cinema home preset is it 20??
It should be 0 for no sharpness.
avernar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #934 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 04:00 AM
Member
 
PittyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 93
New cable coming soon for our C9 for 4k120 or you could just wait for a 3080ti

CAC-1085 DisplayPort™1.4 to HDMI™ 4K120HzHDR Active adapter M/F
The Club 3D CAC-1085 is the perfect solution to
connect to any HDMI™ 4K120Hz ready displays. If
you have a DisplayPort™ 1.4 ready PC or any other
device that lacks the new HDMI™ 4K120Hz specification, the Club3D CAC-1085 will be the simple
way to upgrade your device and connect to your
new TV. With its DP1.4 DSC 1.2 video compression
technology, this adapter is able to convert DP1.4
video signals to HDMI™2.1, supporting video display
resolutions up to 3840x2160 at 120Hz creating life
like colors and movements with HDR giving users
the ultimate visual experience. Support for G-Sync,
FreeSync and VRR bypass. The Adapter is powered
thru an USB Type C to USB Type A cable(provided
with the product).
Features
• Compliant with VESA DisplayPort™ v1.4 Specification
• Compliant with HDMI™ v2.1 Specification
• Support both HDCP 1.4 and HDCP 2.3
• Support DSC v1.2a and backward compatible with the
former version
• Support Max. resolution/refresh rates up to
[email protected] - [email protected]
• Support Dynamic HDR
• Sound Support 5.1-7.1
PittyH is online now  
post #935 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 04:26 AM
Senior Member
 
fenster3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Yep.
But it looks like that the first revision of the CAS-1085 won't support VRR/G-Sync etc..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	club3dCAC1085fb-1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2735636  
DaverJ likes this.
fenster3000 is online now  
post #936 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
New cable coming soon for our C9 for 4k120 or you could just wait for a 3080ti
DP 1.4 is 32.4Gbps. So you're limited to 4K 120Hz 4:2:2 12-bit or 4K 120Hz 4:4:4/RGB 8-bit.

If you want 4K 120Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12-bit you might want to hold off for the 3080ti.
avernar is offline  
post #937 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
 
fenster3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
DP 1.4 is 32.4Gbps. So you're limited to 4K 120Hz 4:2:2 12-bit or 4K 120Hz 4:4:4/RGB 8-bit.

If you want 4K 120Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12-bit you might want to hold off for the 3080ti.
As far as I understand DSC will be used between the Adapter and the GPU.
This way it is possible to use [email protected]@4:4:[email protected] Bit.
Then the adapter will uncompress the signal and output it as 48 GBit/s HDMI 2.1.

Since DSC is a lossless compression method there should not be any downside.
fenster3000 is online now  
post #938 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster3000 View Post
As far as I understand DSC will be used between the Adapter and the GPU.
This way it is possible to use [email protected]@4:4:[email protected] Bit.
Then the adapter will uncompress the signal and output it as 48 GBit/s HDMI 2.1.

Since DSC is a lossless compression method there should not be any downside.
No, DSC is definitely lossy. The bit pattern going in is not the same as the bit pattern going out. DSC is visually lossless which means the human won't notice. Funny thing, 4:2:2 chorma subsampling is another compression technique where the human won't notice (except for colour artifacts on fine text).

All the things I've seen about DSC is that it's a fixed compression with a minimum of 2:1. If that's correct you're throwing away half the luminance/chroma information to gain twice the chroma information.

Since you're trading one form of compression for another, the real question is how does DSC handle fine text detail with various fg/bg colours.
fenster3000 likes this.
avernar is offline  
post #939 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,949
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster3000 View Post
As far as I understand DSC will be used between the Adapter and the GPU.
This way it is possible to use [email protected]@4:4:[email protected] Bit.
Then the adapter will uncompress the signal and output it as 48 GBit/s HDMI 2.1.

Since DSC is a lossless compression method there should not be any downside.
No it isn't. It is considered "visually lossless". It is not lossless. It has to sometimes be lossy in order to fit a fixed link speed. But most of the time it probably avoids it with typical content. But you could certainly make up content that it has no way of avoiding loss with.
fenster3000 likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #940 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
fenster3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
No, DSC is definitely lossy. The bit pattern going in is not the same as the bit pattern going out. DSC is visually lossless which means the human won't notice. Funny thing, 4:2:2 chorma subsampling is another compression technique where the human won't notice (except for colour artifacts on fine text).

All the things I've seen about DSC is that it's a fixed compression with a minimum of 2:1. If that's correct you're throwing away half the luminance/chroma information to gain twice the chroma information.

Since you're trading one form of compression for another, the real question is how does DSC handle fine text detail with various fg/bg colours.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
No it isn't. It is considered "visually lossless". It is not lossless. It has to sometimes be lossy in order to fit a fixed link speed. But most of the time it probably avoids it with typical content. But you could certainly make up content that it has no way of avoiding loss with.
Welp, I guess I overlook the word "overlook" on vesa.org.
Thanks for clarification & correcting me!
fenster3000 is online now  
post #941 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster3000 View Post
Thanks for clarification & correcting me!
I'm still learning about DSC so don't have all the details. Currently looking at https://www.techdesignforums.com/pra...-redesign-dsc/ and will dig into https://glenwing.github.io/docs/VESA-DSC-1.2a.pdf next.
fenster3000 likes this.
avernar is offline  
post #942 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 04:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster3000 View Post
Yep.
But it looks like that the first revision of the CAS-1085 won't support VRR/G-Sync etc..
Let's not forget but there are actually 2 SKUs to look at.

1) Is the CAC-1085 Display Port 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter that you guys have mentioned.
2) The other is the CAC-1585 USB-C DP Alt mode 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 4K120Hz- HDR Active adapter.

It too can support VRR / G-Sync / FreeSync.
It is basically just running DisplayPort over USB-C so it should work exactly the same way as the CAC-1085 DP to HDMI adapter.
But... The CAC-1585 has an advantage of not having to waste a USB port in order to power the device unlike the DP to HDMI adapter variant since it is powered through the same USB BUS so no external power is needed.
As long as you have an RTX card that comes with the USB-C port for running DisplayPort 1.4 alternate mode through it, you should be fine using this adapter.

Now the same question applies... When is it planned to be released and will the 1st production run units be able to support VRR/G-Sync?
DaverJ and 22Green like this.
LiLAsN is offline  
post #943 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
fenster3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I have heard that the launch of the adapter is planned for June.
fenster3000 is online now  
post #944 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster3000 View Post
I have heard that the launch of the adapter is planned for June.
I hope so this, this adapter has been in the works for a long time now. If it works I can't see any reason to sell my 2080ti any time soon before the next wave of GPU's come out
Have we got any links to the updates of this adapter?
22Green likes this.
Jimmy2Shoes is offline  
post #945 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 05:51 PM
Member
 
PittyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2Shoes View Post
I hope so this, this adapter has been in the works for a long time now. If it works I can't see any reason to sell my 2080ti any time soon before the next wave of GPU's come out
Have we got any links to the updates of this adapter?
Yeah i will be keeping my 2080ti for a while longer if this adapter works

There is information in the may catalogue on the Club3d website.
https://www.club-3d.com/en/news/6/cl...e_of_products/
Jimmy2Shoes and 22Green like this.
PittyH is online now  
post #946 of 1092 Old 06-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Member
 
PittyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLAsN View Post
Let's not forget but there are actually 2 SKUs to look at.

1) Is the CAC-1085 Display Port 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter that you guys have mentioned.
2) The other is the CAC-1585 USB-C DP Alt mode 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 4K120Hz- HDR Active adapter.

It too can support VRR / G-Sync / FreeSync.
It is basically just running DisplayPort over USB-C so it should work exactly the same way as the CAC-1085 DP to HDMI adapter.
But... The CAC-1585 has an advantage of not having to waste a USB port in order to power the device unlike the DP to HDMI adapter variant since it is powered through the same USB BUS so no external power is needed.
As long as you have an RTX card that comes with the USB-C port for running DisplayPort 1.4 alternate mode through it, you should be fine using this adapter.

Now the same question applies... When is it planned to be released and will the 1st production run units be able to support VRR/G-Sync?

Cool, didn't see the USB-C version - yes i would prefer this version.

Not sure what "Support for G-Sync, FreeSync and VRR bypass" means as well?
PittyH is online now  
post #947 of 1092 Old 06-02-2020, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
vpn75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I finally got my RTX 2080 super this weekend and set up g-sync with my C9.

Been playing RDR2 at 1440p and have been really impressed with the improved responsiveness in the game. I'm mostly in the low 50-60fps range and g-sync really smooths things out.

Does anyone have good HDR settings for the game? I can't decide if I prefer HDR in this game or not. Right now I'm using Game HDR mode with peak brightness of 1400 and paper-white of 200. I think I got those settings on Reddit for the C9. The colors look more desaturated in HDR but the game seems to have a bit better contrast though I find the black-levels at night a bit bright.

Also played some Control with RT effects and utilizing DLSS and it looked beautiful too
DaverJ and 22Green like this.

AV equipment: LG 77C9, Sony 65X930E, Denon X4400H, Panasonic UB820, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super
vpn75 is offline  
post #948 of 1092 Old 06-02-2020, 08:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
Cool, didn't see the USB-C version - yes i would prefer this version.

Not sure what "Support for G-Sync, FreeSync and VRR bypass" means as well?
Yeah... that threw me off too. Usually, we will call it passthrough. Meaning we let those data that is usually dropped by something like the DP to HDMI adapters and even our AVRs that tends to completely ignore the VRR data and not let it pass through. Hence the name.
But to say bypass... Well.. the only thing I know is as that screenshot has shown, they have the intention of adding VRR support beyond the first batch that won't.

I got a reply from Club3D too and can confirm that this USB-C variant will also not support VRR on its first run.
As quoted directly from their reply, "Hi There - expected release is end of June. No VRR will not be supported on this first batch of production"
Considering that the USB-C variant is still using the DP 1.4 alternate mode, it only makes sense that it too will suffer from the same thing that the DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter will face.
LiLAsN is offline  
post #949 of 1092 Old 06-03-2020, 01:24 PM
Newbie
 
dcr1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
Umm, BFI is FANTASTIC on the C9 and eliminates most motion blur when gaming. The TV is plenty bright, and so turning on BFI with OLED Light at 100 is akin to not having it on with the backlight at 40-50. Assuming you have a light controlled room where the TV is located.

The only problem I have with BFI is that it doesn't work when you have instant game response on. You have to turn IGG off for BFI to work.

In any case, play this (at 60hz) and tell me it doesn't do much.


https://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=...uit=0&height=0

Turn OLED Motion on and then off, and tell me it's not night and day. You can actually read the street names with OLED Motion on.

The same works for gaming. Everything in motion is MUCH sharper. Basically, it's the same exact legibility as 120hz with OLED Motion Off. 120hz obviously has more frames/smoothness, but the clarity of the motion itself is the same.

Yes, it flickers. But spend a day with it, and you'll find that your eyes adapt to the flicker and it becomes much less noticeable the longer you use it. When gaming, you won't even think about the flicker to where it more or less disappears. It's like when you first come into a dark room. What happens? You can't see anything. But after awhile, your eyes adjust, and you can see. Well, the BFI flicker, it's the same. You spend SOME time with it, the flickering will cease to be an issue.


I just had to say it. People hate on BFI without truly understanding the benefits of it. It's why sites like BlurBusters exist, and why Nvidia has ULMB tech.

It's a blessing for 60fps games. I never game without it, and in my bedroom, the TV is plenty bright.
Glad you like it, I despise it. It destroys HDR it might as well not even be an HDr image it is so dull. It doesnt work with Gsync, so good luck ever using it. Even if cards come out that can output 4k 120 you will most likely not be able to maintain it in any decent looking game (graphics wise not art design). So you're going to be cut down to 4k 60 fps with vsync unless youre playing CS go or 2D platformers. For me there could not be a less enticing reason to upgrade or pay extra. I am glad you enjoy it though.

I have no idea how you're getting motion blue at 120 fps, but hey, if you say so.
dcr1989 is offline  
post #950 of 1092 Old 06-03-2020, 01:25 PM
Newbie
 
dcr1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
I finally got my RTX 2080 super this weekend and set up g-sync with my C9.

Been playing RDR2 at 1440p and have been really impressed with the improved responsiveness in the game. I'm mostly in the low 50-60fps range and g-sync really smooths things out.

Does anyone have good HDR settings for the game? I can't decide if I prefer HDR in this game or not. Right now I'm using Game HDR mode with peak brightness of 1400 and paper-white of 200. I think I got those settings on Reddit for the C9. The colors look more desaturated in HDR but the game seems to have a bit better contrast though I find the black-levels at night a bit bright.

Also played some Control with RT effects and utilizing DLSS and it looked beautiful too [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Yes. The perfect settings. Let me dig through my reddit post history and I'll report back.

Edit..

It mentions specific games he said looked bad in HDR.

"Bro I'm gonna do you a solid here. HDR is tricky and white clipping on C9s can be bad. I got you.

RDR2 and MWR are easily two of the best looking HDR games on PC. I have a C9. I have spent wayyy to much time perfecting my settings lol.

RDR 2

In Game RDR2 settings HDR style : Game Peak brightness: 1100 Paper white : 200

C9 Settings

For a punchy bright image....

Game Mode Oled light 100 Contrast- 95 Brightness 47 Color 70 Sharpness- 10 Contrast enhancer - medium Dynamic Tone Mapping - on Color gamut - wide White balance - warm 1 Black level - low

For a more less punchy but more natural picture (this is my favorite)...

Cinema Oled - 100 Contrast- 95 Brightness- 47 Sharpness - 10 Color - 70 Tint - 0

Dynamic contrast- low or medium Dynamic tone Mapping- on Color gamut- wide White balance- warm 3 Black level- low

Windows HDR on

NVCP - 12 bit limited 422

Give those a shot and tell me SDR looks better afterwards... lmao.

As for MW remastered you can use the same TV settings.

For the brighter game mode look set the COD HDR calibration like this..

HDR brightness: 1.00 HDR black point: .06 HDR White point: .75

For the cinema natural look...

HDR Brightness: 1.00 HDR Black Point: .08 HDR white point: .75

Should be all you need to get an absolutely amazing image.

Now AC Odyssey is just ****ed up when it comes to HDR. It is a mess. Origins is too but it is a little better. There's a trick though. Use my natural cinema color settings listed above and set the in game brightness to 20%. Yes it will **** the menus lol but the game will look better. Go to the HDR settings in the game and use... 900 peak 110 paper white.

And that's it. AC Odyssey will look like a decent HDR game (not perfect).

If you need any other advice or settings for a particular game let me know.

If a game doesnt have adjustments it's usually 1000 nits. You can still use the settings I outlined, for example madden looks great with these and I couldn't find a menu"

Try those out but I use PC mode and RGB Full now because I found a dithering software that removes all banding issues.

Now...

Input: PC

Nvidia CP : RGB Full 8bit

Natural looking image: (my reccomended now)
Mode: cinema
Contrast : 100
Oled light: 100
Brightness: 47 (varies game to game sometimes but I like this as a baseline)
Color : 70
Dynamic tone mapping : on
White balance : warm 3
Black level : auto

More punchy image

Mode : standard
Oled light: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 48
Color :70
Color temp : C10 (W20 looks better but a bit less bright. Try each.)
Dynamic tone mapping: on
Black level : auto

now. The key point for this is to go to...

********/calibrationtools
Uhh.
Or..
Bitbucket.org/calibrationTools/calibration-tools/src/master/

Extract, open it up, go to the options up top and check "apply dithering."
I use 6 bit temporal. You can see a sample image and pick what looks best to you. Check apply on windows start up.

Boom. No more banding.
DaverJ likes this.

Last edited by dcr1989; 06-03-2020 at 02:00 PM.
dcr1989 is offline  
post #951 of 1092 Old 06-03-2020, 05:53 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr1989 View Post
Bitbucket.org/calibrationTools/calibration-tools/src/master/

Extract, open it up, go to the options up top and check "apply dithering."
I use 6 bit temporal. You can see a sample image and pick what looks best to you. Check apply on windows start up.

Boom. No more banding.
In case you're interested in a simpler tool that doesn't have to load with Windows, check out this post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59699820

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
VBB is offline  
post #952 of 1092 Old 06-03-2020, 06:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Any updates on a fix for the raised blacks in hdr or is this just how it is. I just purchased a c9 and from what I heard problem still exists in the cx. I noticed it in certain games and others games not, using credit scenes is the easiest. On jedi fallen/resistant evil 3 dropping to 47 takes it away whereas horizon/,uncharted no raised blacks that could find on the default 50 brightness. The problem is lowering the brightness can cause crush espically in the screen corners. Also separate from gaming. Regular hdr content needs to be dropped as well to 49 to rid of it. This kind of defeats the purpose of an oled.(still looks great tho) would love if anybody has info or advice.
Diggle is offline  
post #953 of 1092 Old 06-03-2020, 07:10 PM
Newbie
 
popcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I want to report that trying to have a rotatable setup for the LG C9 is impossible due to the fact that the VESA mount holes are off-center and therefore every mount I tested that can rotate can't manage to stay perfectly level (always ~15° off center either way). I also contacted higher end manufacturers of mounts and after research determined that they were not able to help me.
Maybe my next TV will allow me to do TATE mode for arcade games.
popcho is offline  
post #954 of 1092 Old 06-04-2020, 12:15 AM
Senior Member
 
FarleyUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 104
2019 LG C9–E9 dedicated GAMING thread, consoles and PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr1989 View Post
Yes. The perfect settings. Let me dig through my reddit post history and I'll report back.

Edit..

It mentions specific games he said looked bad in HDR.

"Bro I'm gonna do you a solid here. HDR is tricky and white clipping on C9s can be bad. I got you.

RDR2 and MWR are easily two of the best looking HDR games on PC. I have a C9. I have spent wayyy to much time perfecting my settings lol.

RDR 2

In Game RDR2 settings HDR style : Game Peak brightness: 1100 Paper white : 200

C9 Settings

For a punchy bright image....

Game Mode Oled light 100 Contrast- 95 Brightness 47 Color 70 Sharpness- 10 Contrast enhancer - medium Dynamic Tone Mapping - on Color gamut - wide White balance - warm 1 Black level - low

For a more less punchy but more natural picture (this is my favorite)...

Cinema Oled - 100 Contrast- 95 Brightness- 47 Sharpness - 10 Color - 70 Tint - 0

Dynamic contrast- low or medium Dynamic tone Mapping- on Color gamut- wide White balance- warm 3 Black level- low

Windows HDR on

NVCP - 12 bit limited 422

Give those a shot and tell me SDR looks better afterwards... lmao.

As for MW remastered you can use the same TV settings.

For the brighter game mode look set the COD HDR calibration like this..

HDR brightness: 1.00 HDR black point: .06 HDR White point: .75

For the cinema natural look...

HDR Brightness: 1.00 HDR Black Point: .08 HDR white point: .75

Should be all you need to get an absolutely amazing image.

Now AC Odyssey is just ****ed up when it comes to HDR. It is a mess. Origins is too but it is a little better. There's a trick though. Use my natural cinema color settings listed above and set the in game brightness to 20%. Yes it will **** the menus lol but the game will look better. Go to the HDR settings in the game and use... 900 peak 110 paper white.

And that's it. AC Odyssey will look like a decent HDR game (not perfect).

If you need any other advice or settings for a particular game let me know.

If a game doesnt have adjustments it's usually 1000 nits. You can still use the settings I outlined, for example madden looks great with these and I couldn't find a menu"

Try those out but I use PC mode and RGB Full now because I found a dithering software that removes all banding issues.

Now...

Input: PC

Nvidia CP : RGB Full 8bit

Natural looking image: (my reccomended now)
Mode: cinema
Contrast : 100
Oled light: 100
Brightness: 47 (varies game to game sometimes but I like this as a baseline)
Color : 70
Dynamic tone mapping : on
White balance : warm 3
Black level : auto

More punchy image

Mode : standard
Oled light: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 48
Color :70
Color temp : C10 (W20 looks better but a bit less bright. Try each.)
Dynamic tone mapping: on
Black level : auto

now. The key point for this is to go to...

********/calibrationtools
Uhh.
Or..
Bitbucket.org/calibrationTools/calibration-tools/src/master/

Extract, open it up, go to the options up top and check "apply dithering."
I use 6 bit temporal. You can see a sample image and pick what looks best to you. Check apply on windows start up.

Boom. No more banding.

Tried this but there is no option for dithering....?

EDIT - found it! Click the arrow in Settings to see further settings. Doh!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FarleyUK is offline  
post #955 of 1092 Old 06-04-2020, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggle View Post
Any updates on a fix for the raised blacks in hdr or is this just how it is. I just purchased a c9 and from what I heard problem still exists in the cx. I noticed it in certain games and others games not, using credit scenes is the easiest. On jedi fallen/resistant evil 3 dropping to 47 takes it away whereas horizon/,uncharted no raised blacks that could find on the default 50 brightness. The problem is lowering the brightness can cause crush espically in the screen corners. Also separate from gaming. Regular hdr content needs to be dropped as well to 49 to rid of it. This kind of defeats the purpose of an oled.(still looks great tho) would love if anybody has info or advice.
If some contents do not have raised black at the default 50 but others do then it is most likely because of the contents not the tv. However, I remember playing jedi fallen order and lowering to 49 fixes the raised black, not 47. 47 seems very low and black will be crushed heavily. As for hdr movies, I think as long as the black bars are truly black, keep the brightness at the default 50.

*My setup:
PC (i5-8400, 16GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti) connected to LG C9 OLED
*NVCP Settings:
RGB 8bit Full in SDR
422 12bit Limited in HDR
Duc Vu is online now  
post #956 of 1092 Old 06-04-2020, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
C9 Firmware 04.80.03 enables LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 in the EDID.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59755756

I tested laptop (without CRU) LPCM 5.1/7.1, Xbox One X LPCM 5.1/7.1 and PS4 Pro LPCM 7.1 and all work.
DaverJ, FarleyUK, wardie and 1 others like this.
avernar is offline  
post #957 of 1092 Old 06-04-2020, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
C9 Firmware 04.80.03 enables LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 in the EDID.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59755756

I tested laptop (without CRU) LPCM 5.1/7.1, Xbox One X LPCM 5.1/7.1 and PS4 Pro LPCM 7.1 and all work.
Is there a patch note that details the changes? Or is that the only change in this update?

*My setup:
PC (i5-8400, 16GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti) connected to LG C9 OLED
*NVCP Settings:
RGB 8bit Full in SDR
422 12bit Limited in HDR
Duc Vu is online now  
post #958 of 1092 Old 06-04-2020, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
Is there a patch note that details the changes? Or is that the only change in this update?
The patch note was something about Air Play.
avernar is offline  
post #959 of 1092 Old 06-05-2020, 03:54 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
(@duc vu yeah maybe 47 was too much)

Is the correct color gamut auto for hdr gaming? When I change to wide to me visually it looks better. The sky is bluer, skin a little more red, their seems to be more life on the screen. But is the right setting auto? Im playing uc4 and wide looks better(maybe im bias towards color saturation) but what is considered the correct setting?
Diggle is offline  
post #960 of 1092 Old 06-05-2020, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggle View Post
(@duc vu yeah maybe 47 was too much)

Is the correct color gamut auto for hdr gaming? When I change to wide to me visually it looks better. The sky is bluer, skin a little more red, their seems to be more life on the screen. But is the right setting auto? Im playing uc4 and wide looks better(maybe im bias towards color saturation) but what is considered the correct setting?
I think auto is always correct as the tv will choose the correct gamut depending on the content. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't checked but with hdr contents shouldn't auto and wide be the same? Only in sdr, wide will give more vivid (but incorrect) colors vs auto.

*My setup:
PC (i5-8400, 16GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti) connected to LG C9 OLED
*NVCP Settings:
RGB 8bit Full in SDR
422 12bit Limited in HDR
Duc Vu is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off