Sony A9G vs LG CX 77 inch - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 04-24-2020, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
I gave you my reasoning, if the shootouts dont give results with uncalibrated tv's i don't care, the example of samsung and sony i gave was to illustrate that there can be big differences in how an uncalibrated samsung and sony( lcd) compares vs how they both compare in calibrated state. I only care to know how the uncalibrated compare because that's how i'll use the tv and so the shootout results published from comparing calibrated tv's dont hold any value to me.
If you see them giving you useful information (and i think you get your tv's calibrated) then keep following them , i take no problem with it. I havent followed them in the past and dont intend to in the future either, same goes for loudspeakers. Relying on my eyes and ears is how i decide on all my equipment. Thx.
I believe I saw a video where one of the shootouts explained why they only compare calibrated TVs. If you take them uncalibrated then what you are comparing is simply a set of random samples. What one uncalibrated TV is like out of the box has very little to do with what another identical model uncalibrated TV is like out of the box. Now if on the other hand you were to get a sample of 100 of each model and compare them you might start to get an idea what the average one is like from the factory in case one model tends to be more accurate from the factory than another.

Comparing calibrated TVs at least you are comparing something that pretty much all TVs could accomplish if they were calibrated.

Certainly you should not base your TV purchase just on shoot out results but it does provide one more piece of data to consider. How much weight you give it certainly should depend on how the setup of the shootout would compare to your own use case.
BillP likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 04-24-2020, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
I believe I saw a video where one of the shootouts explained why they only compare calibrated TVs. If you take them uncalibrated then what you are comparing is simply a set of random samples. What one uncalibrated TV is like out of the box has very little to do with what another identical model uncalibrated TV is like out of the box. Now if on the other hand you were to get a sample of 100 of each model and compare them you might start to get an idea what the average one is like from the factory in case one model tends to be more accurate from the factory than another
One model may surely not be exactly the same as another unit of the same model, but on average, sony high end lcd's are more accurate OOTB than samsung qled lcd's. Meaning that in terms of grayscale and color errors, OOTB sony will have an advantage over samsung. Once you calibrate the sony and samsung, then samsung will come a lot closer to sony and it will remain nowhere near the advantage that sony had OOTB.

Among oleds, on average, panasonics have the best color/grayscale accuracy out of the box and slightly better shadow detail compared to other brands. However once you calibrate a panasonic and lg oled and put them side by side, the color/grayscale accuracy advantage panasonic had ootb will hardly remain an advantage any more, same with shadow detail, the lg after calibration will look almost as good with shadow detail.

peralatan saya
marten, rogue audio (hifi) bowers and wilkins, belles, onkyo, jl audio, sony, auralex, furutech (ht)
post #33 of 47 Old 04-24-2020, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I made my comments regarding the CX because I actually did the head to head comparison with the C9, CX and A9G [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Sorry, I guess I missed your comparison. I'll do a search. Yours is one the opinions I would absolutely believe.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Sad that we have to play cat-and-mouse in these times. D-Nice, for as much as we proletariat admire and hang onto your gems of knowledge (no, we do! ), wouldn’t it be gracious of you, or the mods, to just copy from the proverbial bowels of the texts...we are here at the bottom of the food chain looking for some scraps from (whenever)...it is not clear to some of us how we can easily pull this review up.
The answer, I suppose, is to NEVER miss a day, even a half-day of entries.
But meanwhile, D-Nice, a simple # reference would have been gracious and appreciated.
Sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 Old 04-24-2020, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
Sad that we have to play cat-and-mouse in these times. D-Nice, for as much as we proletariat admire and hang onto your gems of knowledge (no, we do! ), wouldn’t it be gracious of you, or the mods, to just copy from the proverbial bowels of the texts...we are here at the bottom of the food chain looking for some scraps from (whenever)...it is not clear to some of us how we can easily pull this review up.
But meanwhile, D-Nice, a simple # reference would have been gracious and appreciated.
Sad.
Check out the dedicated CX thread.
I don't want to misrepresent his findings, but based on my skimming of that thread, he did not seem to think there was a significant improvement of the CX over the C9, and saw no improvement in motion handling. There were some differing opinions in the thread.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #35 of 47 Old 04-24-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Quote:
Sad that we have to play cat-and-mouse in these times. D-Nice, for as much as we proletariat admire and hang onto your gems of knowledge (no, we do! ), wouldn’️t it be gracious of you, or the mods, to just copy from the proverbial bowels of the texts...we are here at the bottom of the food chain looking for some scraps from (whenever)...it is not clear to some of us how we can easily pull this review up.
Sad.
Check out the dedicated CX thread.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
I don't want to misrepresent his findings, but based on my skimming of that thread, he did not seem to think there was a significant improvement of the CX over the C9, and saw no improvement in motion handling. There were some differing opinions in the thread.
Bill, you are MUCH appreciated, sir, for a nice concise wrap-up. May I say that it is folks such as yourself that do make this a good community; helpful folks.
I have enjoyed your comments through the threads. Thanks, and I hope that you continue on here ! As for me, I THINK I am headed towards a (whenever) SONY A9H (perhaps August/Sept. 2020), with fingers crossed for maybe a smidgen of improvement (at least I’ll likely get my beloved back-lit remote in 2020 out of an A9H).
UltraHD enthusiast likes this.
post #36 of 47 Old 04-26-2020, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8

It is not the AG9 but if the ag8 is better than the CX I suppose that the ag9 will also be

Enviado desde mi J9110 mediante Tapatalk
post #37 of 47 Old 04-26-2020, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrine1 View Post
https://youtu.be/f0kEolYSHyk

It is not the AG9 but if the ag8 is better than the CX I suppose that the ag9 will also be

^ That guy is a clown. He even thinks the A8G is superior to the A9G.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #38 of 47 Old 04-26-2020, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Read on another forum that calibrator jrref and Value Electronics will be doing a side by side evaluation and testing of Sony's 2020 A8H against LG's 2020 CX. They will be publishing before and after calibration reports, max. brightness and black level, color accuracy and other measurements as well as their personal observations on the comparisons of how the BFI performs on each TV.
post #39 of 47 Old 04-26-2020, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked: 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHD enthusiast View Post
Read on another forum that calibrator jrref and Value Electronics will be doing a side by side evaluation and testing of Sony's 2020 A8H against LG's 2020 CX. They will be publishing before and after calibration reports, max. brightness and black level, color accuracy and other measurements as well as their personal observations on the comparisons of how the BFI performs on each TV.
I will be doing the same.... really really soon.
post #40 of 47 Old 04-26-2020, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 74
@D-Nice , very excellent! I'm sure many folks want to know how these two bleeding edge OLED TVs compare against each-other.
post #41 of 47 Old 04-26-2020, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHD enthusiast View Post
@D-Nice , very excellent! I'm sure many folks want to know how these two bleeding edge OLED TVs compare against each-other.
Well, not exactly, I would not think... "apples to apples" as the CX is LG's mainstay level. The competition, albeit not here yet, would be the SONY A9H, or if we retreat to LAST year, then the A9G from last year. Isn't the Sony A8H Sony's drop back (but new) model from a "9 Series?"
post #42 of 47 Old 04-26-2020, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked: 4997
Quote:
Well, not exactly, I would not think... "apples to apples" as the CX is LG's mainstay level. The competition, albeit not here yet, would be the SONY A9H, or if we retreat to LAST year, then the A9G from last year. Isn't the Sony A8H Sony's drop back (but new) model from a "9 Series?"
The performance should be similar/equal to the A9G but with additional BFI options and possibly a new GUI.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #43 of 47 Old 04-26-2020, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
The performance should be similar/equal to the A9G but with additional BFI options and possibly a new GUI.
Okay, hey thanks D-Nice.
post #44 of 47 Old 04-26-2020, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
If you have better money sony oled, lg oled have many problems and the image, construction and sound quality is worse

post #45 of 47 Old 04-27-2020, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
People get too caught up in the "flagships", the nomenclature, or what year the TV is from. That doesn't mean anything in the OLED world. The actual OLED panel is identical and has been for the past few years. LG has not made any TV that has comprehensively matched or beaten a Sony OLED TV, be it Extreme or Ultimate. Any comparison is fair game and should be made.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #46 of 47 Old 05-27-2020, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I will be doing the same.... really really soon.
Sorry for bumping this post, but did this comparison from D-Nice ever get posted? I was scanning back through a few different threads but haven't been able to find it.

LG 77GX OLED / Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar / Sony PS4 Pro / Belkin CNS08-T-06
post #47 of 47 Old 06-03-2020, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21 View Post
Sorry for bumping this post, but did this comparison from D-Nice ever get posted? I was scanning back through a few different threads but haven't been able to find it.
I'm also interested in a link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page