AVS Forum banner

2020 LG CX–GX dedicated GAMING thread, consoles and PC

2M views 15K replies 1K participants last post by  b0rnarian 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
This thread is created specifically for gamers who own/potentially will own the LG CX-GX. If you have any gaming-related questions or troubleshooting tips, feel free to share here.

To start the discussion, there's currently an issue caused by Instant Game Response/G-sync/VRR on the 9 series and I'm curious if it is still present on the X series. The issue is detailed here in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUiwadan2ZI.

If you are currently owning an X series set, kindly follow the same testing steps and report back. Basically, enabling Instant Game Response/Gsync/VRR will cause a near-black gamma shift as seen below (measurement done by another user/owner of a C9 set), which may result in less contrasty picture.

It should be noted that this requires a newer, probably RTX Nvidia card (dunno about AMD cards). For example, on my 1080Ti's, Gsync won't work on this particualar TV. So I can't be of help here.

#5 ·
Hi Duc, have you tried with other games?
This could be an issue related just to Control.
Yes I tested other games: Fallen Order and Modern Warfare. Same thing. It is even worse in hdr titles like Modern Warfare as the middle logo will never disappear so we can’t calibrate the black level properly. Actually you can just pull a black level test pattern on desktop and you will see the issue.

#6 ·
Why does this thread title say 2019? Get a mod to fix it?
The title was fixed in desktop mode of the site. Not sure why in mobile mode it remains 2019. Maybe it takes some time to update.

#8 ·
Hello guys I own a CX and I am a gamer. My question is does changing the settings of dynamic contrast, dynamic tone mapping, super resolution, smooth graduation, and true motion increase input lag in game mode? I'm trying to get the best picture possible in game mode but I don't want the input lag to be high

Thank you.

#10 ·
Using my CX for both the PS4 Pro, & Xbox One X, and eventually the new consoles coming. Just wanted to add that I haven’t been more happy gaming on any other tv ever, & I’ve owned so many different flagships over the years. Everything from its infinite contrast to the colors & HDR on this set has just been incredible (Doom Eternal) has been a stand out HDR feast for the eyes! Not to mention the LG CX/GX with their long list of gaming features is an unbelievable value & the ONLY tv to own as a gamer imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Hello guys I own a CX and I am a gamer. My question is does changing the settings of dynamic contrast, dynamic tone mapping, super resolution, smooth graduation, and true motion increase input lag in game mode? I'm trying to get the best picture possible in game mode but I don't want the input lag to be high

Thank you.
For me personally I only change the settings of dynamic tone mapping and leave other processing settings off. No change in input lag.

Are you playing on pc? Can you do the test mentioned in the OP?

#13 ·
My CX is on the way. (Should be here within a week). I'll be using it with a PC (1080Ti) primarily. Any first time setup things I should be aware of?
See if you're able to enable Instant Game Response and get low input lag in all picture modes other than just Game Mode.

#14 ·

Thank you.
For me personally I only change the settings of dynamic tone mapping and leave other processing settings off. No change in input lag.

Are you playing on pc? Can you do the test mentioned in the OP?
Thanks for the reply and no I can not do the test I game on a ps4 pro

#18 ·
What do you set it to and why?
Depends. Sometimes with HGIG, the game looks dim during day time scene (e.g. Shadow of Tomb Raider) so I use Dynamic Tone Mapping instead. If it is bright enough (e.g. AC Odyssey) then HGIG. Sometimes HGIG can look brighter than DMT. In a nutshell, just use whatever pleases your eyes honestly. I have come to accept that HDR at this moment sadly still has no standard and implementations vary greatly from game to game.

I 've seen people say HGIG is more accurate since it tracks pq curve correctly and clips everything above panel's max luminance but I don't think it's true for all cases. Basically:

Dynamic Tone Mapping ON = Game's tone mapping + LG's scene-by-scene tone mapping
HGIG = Game's tone mapping

So if we use HGIG, we are actually at the mercy of the game's own tone mapping algorithm and there's no guarantee this algorithm is good. For example, if the game is mastered at 4000 or 10000 nits and the algorithm simply maps that whole range of luminance down to fit 0-800 nits capability of the oled then everything will look dimmer than it's supposed to be. A good game's tone mapping algorithm will map everything correctly in the 0-800 nits range then clips everything from 800-4000 or 800-10000 nits. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

#19 ·
Will the TV only show the HGiG option if the game supports it? It is available when I play Assassins Creed Origins.
No it is always available under the tv settings

#20 ·
Depends. Sometimes with HGIG, the game looks dim during day time scene (e.g. Shadow of Tomb Raider) so I use Dynamic Tone Mapping instead. If it is bright enough (e.g. AC Odyssey) then HGIG. Sometimes HGIG can look brighter than DMT. In a nutshell, just use whatever pleases your eyes honestly. I have come to accept that HDR at this moment sadly still has no standard and implementations vary greatly from game to game.

I 've seen people say HGIG is more accurate since it tracks pq curve correctly and clips everything above panel's max luminance but I don't think it's true for all cases. Basically:

Dynamic Tone Mapping ON = Game's tone mapping + LG's scene-by-scene tone mapping
HGIG = Game's tone mapping

So if we use HGIG, we are actually at the mercy of the game's own tone mapping algorithm and there's no guarantee this algorithm is good. For example, if the game is mastered at 4000 or 10000 nits and the algorithm simply maps that whole range of luminance down to fit 0-800 nits capability of the oled then everything will look dimmer than it's supposed to be. A good game's tone mapping algorithm will map everything correctly in the 0-800 nits range then clips everything from 800-4000 or 800-10000 nits. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I can tell ya that games that aren’t created around HGIG will appear dimmer, but if HGIG is built within the game, you will see a much more vibrant picture with correct pq. There’s not many games that currently support it at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk