2020 Sony Bravia A8H OLED Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 844Likes

post #451 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked: 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagla View Post
This thread is making it extremely hard for me to replace my 2009 Pioneer 151, calibrated by D-Nice.
Have thought many times about replacing it with an OLED, but always end up keeping the 151 based on comments like that.
The TV still looks amazingly good in a dark bedroom but missing some brightness and HDR, and obviously cannot get any 4K on it!
So OLED's have still not caught up with good Plasmas in terms of motion; what a drag!

Have posted after a very long time, so please be kind!
It’s caught up with motion. How the image is presented on screen is different. Sample and Hold tech does not have the same look as impulse.
Keenan, pagla and OriginalFake like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
(plasma lover here)...but what about sheer brightness level? I have been told that, basically, OLED has at least DOUBLE the brightness of the best plasma.
I can't quantify it, but my A9G is definitely brighter than my Panny plasma.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #453 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 3855
Quote:
(plasma lover here)...but what about sheer brightness level? I have been told that, basically, OLED has at least DOUBLE the brightness of the best plasma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
I can't quantify it, but my A9G is definitely brighter than my Panny plasma.
I took a screenshot on my Panny GT30 of a picture I took in Bermuda because I wanted to see what it would look like on the Sony.

The first one is the actual photo. The second is from the Panny, and the third is from the Sony. The Panny comes closer to the original photo, the Sony is brighter, but the Panny has more grain. Not out to prove anything, I just like to do things like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_4254.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	2733694   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2733698   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2733700  
WOLVERNOLE, gbaby and venus933 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
I took a screenshot on my Panny GT30 of a picture I took in Bermuda because I wanted to see what it would look like on the Sony.

The first one is the actual photo. The second is from the Panny, and the third is from the Sony. The Panny comes closer to the original photo, the Sony is brighter, but the Panny has more grain. Not out to prove anything, I just like to do things like this.
Hmmm not really liking the Sony compared to the original. On the Sony, what is the bright artifact above the front mast, is that a reflection off the screen?
post #455 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
Hmmm not really liking the Sony compared to the original. On the Sony, what is the bright artifact above the front mast, is that a reflection off the screen?
Camera flash.
post #456 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
Camera flash.
No point to take pics of screens if camera(real camera, not a phone) settings arent 100% identical + with a tripod. (ISO, shutter speed, focal lenght + f at least)

And also using flash is pointles, and sounds like it is just "point & shoot with phone/camera without knowing what you are doing".
post #457 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Well, you will need to wait until we get a new technology then......
That is fine with me as long as my Sony keeps working.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #458 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My A1E is brighter than my 60VT60 was. I don't notice motion probs with the A1E.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #459 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

Definitely much brighter. But I keep my oled at plasma level brightness anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #460 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

Thanks for that. Interesting. The two things that obviously jump out at me with Panny and the SONY OLED are that (a) the SONY OLED is about 2x brighter, and (b) it is set MUCH cooler (blue tint). Not sure what your gamma is set for but it must not be on Warm 1 or Warm 2.

Very nice photo.
post #461 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
Biggest mistake I made was selling my 151 in 2009 - wrongfully assuming Panasonic, who had bought the patents, would overthrow the Kuro within a year.

And yet, here we are, over a decade later, still comparing brand new TVs to Kuros. I find the comparisons fascinating and even more fascinated that those old plasmas still have some superior qualities over OLED.

Truth be told, we’ll probably never see a TV that maintains its relevance for so long ever again.

I just fired up my Kuro 151 after it sat idle in a corner for the past 8 months since I got my A9G. Both calibrated by Jeff Meier. I gotta say, there is something about that Kuro picture. While the Sony does have more pop, better blacks (but I’m never wanting for deeper blacks on the Kuro) and slightly richer colors, the Kuro looks better on B&W movies. With 1080p material overall, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I just can’t get myself to sell the Kuro though. It’s picture looks every bit a good as it did from day one.
WOLVERNOLE, dsskid, VidPro and 1 others like this.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #462 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How is the A8H in 24p slow panning scene stutter associated with OLED. Is it any better over past models?
WOLVERNOLE and ataneruo like this.
post #463 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydinsipuli View Post
No point to take pics of screens if camera(real camera, not a phone) settings arent 100% identical + with a tripod. (ISO, shutter speed, focal lenght + f at least)

And also using flash is pointles, and sounds like it is just "point & shoot with phone/camera without knowing what you are doing".
Actually, I did. No flash. 100% identical + with a tripod. (ISO, shutter speed, focal lenght + f . I didn't post those because the phone turned out much better, in both cases. It didn't make any difference. The contrasting results were the same. But the best thing about those pictures; I'm lucky enough to own a Sony camera. Because everybody knows you can't take a picture of a Sony TV with a Nikon and expect them to turn out correctly.
post #464 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that. Interesting. The two things that obviously jump out at me with Panny and the SONY OLED are that (a) the SONY OLED is about 2x brighter, and (b) it is set MUCH cooler (blue tint). Not sure what your gamma is set for but it must not be on Warm 1 or Warm 2.

Very nice photo.
Thanks.

I'm using the recommended Expert 1.

But those pics don't really mean a lot. Maybe one could process them better than the other, I really don't know. But they do show the difference in brightness, which was the point. The Sony is obviously brighter, under any circumstance. From what little I've seen, I like the brightness. Don't misunderstand, everything isn't overly bright, but it is a different look than my plasma.

I've been searching for better comps in the streaming section, but the Sony up-converts so damn good it wouldn't be close. Some of it looks so good you'd think you were watching 4K.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #465 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Thanks.

But those pics don't really mean a lot. Maybe one could process them better than the other, I really don't know. But they do show the difference in brightness, which was the point. The Sony is obviously brighter, under any circumstance. From what little I've seen, I like the brightness. Don't misunderstand, everything isn't overly bright, but it is a different look than my plasma.

I've been searching for better comps in the streaming section, but the Sony up-converts so damn good it wouldn't be close. Some of it looks so good you'd think you were watching 4K.

If both sets are dialed in accurately, I wouldn’t expect there big of a difference color wise. And that’s not subtle. That’s a huge difference.

ataneruo likes this.

- Sony 65A9G OLED
- Panasonic UB-820 4K BD Player/Apple 4K TV
- Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 AVR/Outlaw Model 5000 AMP
- SVS Prime Towers (2)/Prime Center/SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer 12"
- Polk MC80 In-Ceiling 8" Speakers (2)
post #466 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked: 7716
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
My A1E is brighter than my 60VT60 was. I don't notice motion probs with the A1E.
I would take an OLED over a plasma any day of the week
brickyardz and ataneruo like this.
post #467 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb Wait just a doggone minute there !

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Cleveland Plasma;[/B]59724046]I would take an OLED over a plasma any day of the week

Chris, you are tredding on thin ice there my friend !: I mean, after all, you're "Cleveland Plasma", not 'Cleveland OLED.
post #468 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey Everyone! New to the forum here! Question about A8H and new Sony H series TV's in general.

I own a Sony X830C, its not very good, but was decent back in 2015. I also own a x950G I bought on deep discount last Black Friday.

I will be due for another TV to replace my x830C later this year. Not just to upgrade picture quality, but to get rid of that laggy stutter thing. The x830C has the Mediatek MT5890 that most (or every) Sony TV had back in 2015. Basically the processor that's responsible for giving Android TV a bad name for being slow, full of stutters, and app crashes. Although it was really the SOC fault for being just too under powered for such a diverse powerful operating system that Android TV is.

The x950G has the MT5893 which is wayyy better performance and makes the TV butter smooth navigating compared to my x830C. Never any app crashes or stutters. I know from reviews the A8G still had an old MT5890 or MT5891, while the A9G had the more powerful MT5893.

So does anyone know if the new A8H has upgraded the processor to the MT5893 (or better). Can you also check if it has 3 GB of RAM like the x950G?

On a side note same 2 questions for the x800H and x900H if anyone happens to know? Obviously the x950H should have it since last year's x950G had it.

Thanks in advance!
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #469 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Thanks.

I have consistently read that "Expert 1" was the preferred setting. Just curious though, historically Sony's go to temp setting is "Warm 1" or "Warm 2." Is 'Expert 1' suppose to put the perceived color temp in similar realm as that?, because that last photo certainly shows a very cool tint (blue), correct? I am just very curious about that. I realize your photo accomplished what we were discussing- the relative BRIGHTNESS of OLED over plasma. And yes, it sure did. Not wanting to change venue, but it was really remarkable the temp/color tone on that. Thoughts?
Again, lovely picture and fantastic old ship there.
post #470 of 1130 Old 05-28-2020, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
Quote:
Thanks.

If both sets are dialed in accurately, I wouldn’️t expect there big of a difference color wise. And that’️s not subtle. That’️s a huge difference.

It could be that different auto white balance selections on the camera contributed to this.
post #471 of 1130 Old 05-29-2020, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am happy with my OLED fred. But would be happy to take back my Kuro for another room.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #472 of 1130 Old 05-29-2020, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
The perfect display technology would combine OLED strengths with plasma strengths.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #473 of 1130 Old 05-29-2020, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Question for D-Nice or whomever wants to chime in.

As I was comparing images between my Kuro 60” to my 65” A9G with 1080p content, I noted that images were larger on the Kuro. Both TVs were set to full pixel (Dot to dot) so same edge to edge information on each set with no overscan taking place. I’m assuming that this is because images appear smaller on the Sony due to its upscaling the image to 4k while the Kuro remains native at 1080p.

So with this being the case, isn’t there a misconception that a 65” is going to produce a larger image than a 60”?

I don’t think most people are aware of this. Bottom line is that if I sit 9’ away from each tv, the 60” image is larger than the 65” 4k, at least with 1080p content. It seems to me that it would maybe take a 70” 4k tv ( I know they don’t exist) to equal the same size image as a 60” 1080p tv given that the content is in 1080p. Thoughts?

post #474 of 1130 Old 05-29-2020, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked: 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

As I was comparing images between my Kuro 60” to my 65” A9G with 1080p content, I noted that images were larger on the Kuro. Both TVs were set to full pixel (Dot to dot) so same edge to edge information on each set with no overscan taking place. I’m assuming that this is because images appear smaller on the Sony due to its upscaling the image to 4k while the Kuro remains native at 1080p.

So with this being the case, isn’t there a misconception that a 65” is going to produce a larger image than a 60”?

I don’t think most people are aware of this. Bottom line is that if I sit 9’ away from each tv, the 60” image is larger than the 65” 4k, at least with 1080p content. It seems to me that it would maybe take a 70” 4k tv ( I know they don’t exist) to equal the same size image as a 60” 1080p tv given that the content is in 1080p. Thoughts?
Unfortunately I do not have a response to your questions as the adjective used in this post— larger— does not make sense to me.
post #475 of 1130 Old 05-29-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:

Pics would be helpful given the contradiction here.

Life is Lambertian
post #476 of 1130 Old 05-29-2020, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Unfortunately I do not have a response to your questions as the adjective used in this post— larger— does not make sense to me.
What I mean is anything on screen is larger. I was watching an SNL episode for example and the cast members faces and bodies were larger than on the Sony. It’s as if they were closer to the screen. It’s as if you zoomed or cropped an image but nothing was zoomed in As both sets are set for dot to dot image. Upon observing this, I though, maybe the Kuro is not in dot to dot mode, but it is and I can see the same information on both TVs around all edges of the screen area.

post #477 of 1130 Old 05-29-2020, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Pics would be helpful given the contradiction here.
Here’s a quick shot of an image from both TVs at a measured 7’ away. The image on the left is the 65” A9G and on the right is the Kuro 60” plasma. Even though the images don’t 100% show the differences, you can still see her head is larger on the Kuro 60”. Easier to see if viewed on something larger than a cell phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D7D3EEF3-BC47-4CCC-9DE2-62919D378CA5.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2734148   Click image for larger version

Name:	909F3087-4148-427E-9FCA-05AFDBBB1B17.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2734150  

Last edited by hifi59; 05-29-2020 at 09:15 AM.
post #478 of 1130 Old 05-29-2020, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
The perfect display technology would combine OLED strengths with plasma strengths.
Perhaps with SDR but with HDR combining LCD strengths with OLED strengths would be ideal. There's a reason Sony's new professional mastering monitor is a LCD with
light-modulating cell layer technology.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #479 of 1130 Old 05-29-2020, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Take this to another thread this is for A8H owners thread.
post #480 of 1130 Old 05-29-2020, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
Here’s a quick shot of an image from both TVs at a measured 7’ away. The image on the left is the 65” A9G and on the right is the Kuro 60” plasma. Even though the images don’t 100% show the differences, you can still see her head is larger on the Kuro 60”. Easier to see if viewed on something larger than a cell phone.
Try a clean source like Blu-ray on the kuro and sony and check while playback Display Info on remote control if Dot by Dot is activated, if not activate it, see if you get similar results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page