AVS Forum banner

2020 Sony Bravia A8H OLED Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

2M views 9K replies 705 participants last post by  CKeeler 
#1 · (Edited)
It’s that time :) Impressions, settings etc are coming soon.

Front

Back

Remote

Attachments

See less See more
#1,544 ·
@D-Nice
I'm looking on some direction on how to do the break in on my new A8H. Coming from your 5020FD set up, you had settings to use during break in, and then post break in settings. Looking at post 2, should I be using these settings during and after break in?

The link to the slides is busted in the Kuro thread too. Do you have a suggestion on where else I can get them?

After 11 years and a power supply board swap the Kuro died. Thanks for your advice and generosity in sharing your knowledge!

#1,548 ·
I just received my 65A8H and was going to plug in D-Nice settings as an initial start
but I noticed some members saying one should you wait 100 - 200 hours before calibrating. I assume they were talking 100 - 200 hours on the panel? If that is true, how does one get into the service menu to
see the hours. I've attempted Display + 5 + Volume+. Power, but the TV simply turns on.

Any suggestions?

Also, I can see how to do the DV settings buy bring up Ozark, but what is the best way to SDR & HDR settings?

Thank you in advance.

#1,549 ·
You need 100 hours of HDR type content before a calibration. My settings are not a substitute for a calibration. As such you can plug my settings in immediately.

#1,557 ·
Can any A8H owner verify whether plugging something into the headphone jack mutes audio going to other sources--and, if so, whether there is a way to disable that?

I have a Sennheiser wireless headphone set I use at night so as not to disturb my SO, and on my Vizio, I've got it plugged into the RCA audio out at all times, with optical audio going to my AVR. This works perfectly, as I never need to plug or unplug anything or mess with settings. When I want to switch to headphone listening, I just turn off the receiver and turn on the headphones. Is it possible to achieve a setup like this on the A8H?

I'm thinking I may have to use bluetooth headphone pairing OR plug/unplug the Sennheiser base from the TV every time I want to use it. Just one extra step every day, but I'm hoping to avoid it. In any case, I'm excited to order my A8H whenever the next round of price reductions are sent out.

#2,192 ·
Can any A8H owner verify whether plugging something into the headphone jack mutes audio going to other sources--and, if so, whether there is a way to disable that?

I have a Sennheiser wireless headphone set I use at night so as not to disturb my SO, and on my Vizio, I've got it plugged into the RCA audio out at all times, with optical audio going to my AVR. This works perfectly, as I never need to plug or unplug anything or mess with settings. When I want to switch to headphone listening, I just turn off the receiver and turn on the headphones. Is it possible to achieve a setup like this on the A8H?

I'm thinking I may have to use bluetooth headphone pairing OR plug/unplug the Sennheiser base from the TV every time I want to use it. Just one extra step every day, but I'm hoping to avoid it. In any case, I'm excited to order my A8H whenever the next round of price reductions are sent out.
I have just received my A8H and I am doing the exact set up you mentioned; Sennheiser headphones and all. Did you ever hear of the work around. Thanks!

#1,563 ·
Pls help, I’m having an issue with lost of picture while watching but with the audio still on. I have a 2020 Sony A8H Oled for about a week now and this issue arose a few days ago. I’ve done all the different reset on this tv and still having problems. Oh I’ve also have added a Sony Sound Bar HT-Z9F when I purchased the tv.

#1,638 · (Edited)
I took delivery of a 55" A8 (UK) yesterday. With my other half away for the day, I was able to play about to my heart's content but I did come across this issue. On a couple of occasions the screen has gone blank with the Bravia logo bottom right (which I think is the screensaver) but the sound still on, out of the blue. Hitting a button on the remote brings the picture back but it happens again a few seconds later. Has only happened on one HDMI input (a Sky Q box). I can't pin it down to any particular action or timescale - possibly happens after having used the home screen for an app but I can't say for sure.

I have a Sonos Arc connected via eARC - the only other place I've found referencing this behaviour is on the Sonos forums and the suggested answer was effectively to turn off eARC, in which case I might as well return the TV.

I've also suffered loss of sound twice after using Airplay from an iPad to the TV (just to make sure it worked). Sound then went off on any internal app until I switched back to an HDMI source.

Any suggestions? Thanks

UPDATE: I seem to have solved the black screen issue by doing a factory re-set then making sure that the HDMI Enhanced setting is NOT activated for HDMI 3. I did try changing this setting first without a re-set (I had turned it on for all HDMI ports first time round, presuming this was required) but it took the factory reset to make the difference. The TV hasn't done the Bravia black screen since the reset - on the two days before i did it, the issue happened on several occasions. Fingers crossed :)

#1,565 ·
I was in BB today cheking th 65 AH8 and the sales guys had a cool motion testing file called 'Motion-Girl In Swing' or something close; It was actually a netted hammock swing and the Sony did an amazing job of eliminating the judder without dimming.

I've searched the net high and low and can't find it Anyone here know where to find it?

thx

bob

#1,566 ·
That sounds like "Sarah on a Hammock" (link), from the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd edition disc. A real torture test for motion algorithms.
I know that they are working on a companion/update disc for the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disc (which currently doesn't have a 4K version), and she's going to be back for that disc in a new 4K (and HDR) version!

#1,569 ·
Hey guys, I miss my OLED I had an E6 and replaced it with the vizio px due to my son breaking the screen. Been reading around which brought me to the sony. I have yet been able to look around at stores since Covid and basically wondering if oled's have gotten much better since my E6 looking from rtings it is pretty had to judge plus they haven't updated the testing

#1,589 ·
Trust me I wish I never noticed. The x800m2 made the problem way worse so that you couldn’t avoid seeing it. The UB820 does a much better job but unfortunately the problem is still there and then like with a lot of things once you see it you can unsee it. Sony called me back today but was working when they called so will call them back tomorrow. Here is another good comparison showing the issue. I raised the black level so it’s a little easier to see. First pic is SDR BD and 2nd pic is 4k DV.

Attachments

#1,574 ·
Lots of great posts in this forum. Special thanks to D-Nice for posting his settings.

I had a hell of time getting all of my devices talking correctly together so that I would get the correct picture (HDR, Dolby Vision, etc). For my system, I typically would always connect everything to the receiver and allow it to pass thru and handle the switching of inputs. I use a FireTV Cube, Xbox One X, and Denon x1200W. Per the Denon support link, the x1200w should be able to passthru HDR and Dolby Vision, but I could never get it to work. Tried various high speed HDMI cables and switching the Sony to enhanced HDMI for the input and all I would get would be the no signal error. To resolve, the FireTV and Xbox one had to be directly connected to the Sony with the enhanced input turned on and then the sound sent back via ARC to the Denon. Took me forever to get the sound working because I had disabled the TV Audio input on the Denon 5 years ago. Once enabled, sound came back. Happily enjoying my new TV now.

#1,577 ·
Hello,

I just purchased my Sony A8H and I am a little confused about the SDR and HDR thing. Does the TV tell me that it is in HDR like it does for Dolby Vision? I'm not sure how I set the custom for both SDR and HDR if I'm not sure I'm in HDR.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm pretty new to this stuff. I replaced a Samsung plasma from 12 years ago so I've been out of touch for awhile.

Thanks

#1,579 ·
You need to press the settings button then go to picture settings, top right of the picture settings menu will tell you what’s being displayed. I also punched in D-nice’s picture settings on the first page and the tv has been engaging the right settings for sdr, hdr and Dolby vision. D-nice can you explain why In custom mode the tv automatically knows what to switch it to?

#1,582 ·
Huh? Not sure if I understand your question. Like all HDR capable TVs, the signal type dictates the video mode. So, when the Sony gets a HDR10/HLG signal, it automatically switches to the HDR version of the currently used video mode. If the display is in Custom at that time, it would switch to HDR Custom. If it were in Game, it would Switch to HDR Game.

#1,580 ·
Got this TV last week and I love it for the most part. I went from a 4 year old LG (non-oled) to this and the color and clarity is just mind blowing.

I do play a fair amount of video games and the lag is noticeable. If I were to do it again, I'd go with the LG for that reason.

The eARC audio sometimes doesn't work either unless I change an audio setting and then it comes back. I've read that there's a bug with this.

#1,586 ·
Hi Guys,

Just picked up my 65" last week, and absolutely love it! Coming from older Panny and Pioneer Elite Plasmas it's such a huge improvement, but I had some questions around the OS and settings and hoping someone can help.

I'm mostly using a firestick to watch movies and shows. With that said:
  • How do I get "Custom" Picture Mode? Only options I have is DV Bright/Dark and Vivid. Does this require CalMan?
  • What settings are best for watching sports, like American Football? I was using DNice's DV Bright, but it's just too bright on the whites. And the Dark settings are just not vibrant enough for sports(great for movies). I'm watching via the NBC Sports and ESPN Apps on the Firestick so PQ seems better than regular Fios.
  • Is there a difference in PQ HDMI inputs? I have my Fstick on 2. I assumed not, since all allowed me to change them all to the "Enhanced" Setting. And should I always keep it on Enhanced?
  • I noticed some nettings were not addressed in DNice's settings on page 1. I assume I leave those alone?
  • Is there an easy way to check the PQ of the incoming feed? I used to be able to click the "TV" button on the remote to display the resolution, but since I programmed that button to switch to cable, I can no longer check the resolution.
  • Is there a difference in PQ from using the firestick rather than the apps on the TV? Are there any benefits?
  • What does the Bravia Sync do?

Thanks in advance!

#1,587 ·
Hi Guys,

Just picked up my 65" last week, and absolutely love it! Coming from older Panny and Pioneer Elite Plasmas it's such a huge improvement, but I had some questions around the OS and settings and hoping someone can help.

I'm mostly using a firestick to watch movies and shows. With that said:
  • How do I get "Custom" Picture Mode? Only options I have is DV Bright/Dark and Vivid. Does this require CalMan?
  • What settings are best for watching sports, like American Football? I was using DNice's DV Bright, but it's just too bright on the whites. And the Dark settings are just not vibrant enough for sports(great for movies). I'm watching via the NBC Sports and ESPN Apps on the Firestick so PQ seems better than regular Fios.
  • Is there a difference in PQ HDMI inputs? I have my Fstick on 2. I assumed not, since all allowed me to change them all to the "Enhanced" Setting. And should I always keep it on Enhanced?
  • I noticed some nettings were not addressed in DNice's settings on page 1. I assume I leave those alone?
  • Is there an easy way to check the PQ of the incoming feed? I used to be able to click the "TV" button on the remote to display the resolution, but since I programmed that button to switch to cable, I can no longer check the resolution.
  • Is there a difference in PQ from using the firestick rather than the apps on the TV? Are there any benefits?
  • What does the Bravia Sync do?
Thanks in advance!
It looks you are forcing Dolby Vision on your firestick. That is maybe why the whites are super bright. You are forcing SDR content to be displayed in DV. There is a setting in your firestick which allows you to match the content but im not sure which one it is.

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE
#1,598 ·
This may or may not help, but IMHO the clearest way of unravelling it that I've seen so far is in Sony's own PDF "Calibrating.MASTER.Series.with.CalMAN" that is linked from their download page of the Google Play Store when you download the calman bravia app, and of course everyone is free to download that app and the PDF without needing a copy of Calman (Portrait Display's own instructions PDF does not have such a helpful diagram).

#1,607 ·
Has anyone had any issues with the Amazon Prime internal app? A few days ago it stopped working completely for me. When I open the app I get a warning about the internet connection (which is not the problem), then the logo pops up after which it loads very clunkily. When I try to play something an error message pops up (stating that the page cannot be loaded) and it forces me to close the app. I have restarted the display, cleared the app cache, cleared the app data, updated the app and restarted from scratch but get the same issue every time. All other apps work perfectly. Anyone else having this issue?