Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 05-18-2020, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 140
77” LG CX/GX vs 65” Sony A8H

After today’s shootout by VE, would you compromise on size and save money for an overall better PQ in the A8H at 65”? Or would you keep the larger real estate at 77”. PQ only wise, not factoring gaming features. Thoughts?
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 05-18-2020, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I will never buy another TV smaller that 70" no matter how great it is. Size and quality is my criteria, not just quality.
post #3 of 44 Old 05-21-2020, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue83 View Post
After today’s shootout by VE, would you compromise on size and save money for an overall better PQ in the A8H at 65”? Or would you keep the larger real estate at 77”. PQ only wise, not factoring gaming features. Thoughts?
Not when they share 99% similarity and the 1% are plus and minus for different categories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 05-21-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Absolutely not, the picture quality isn't close to making up for a 40% difference in screen area. We will see what other pro reviewers and shootouts have to say about how the 2 displays stack up. My C9 would never go back for a lesser size display, makes such a difference in the viewing experience and the picture looks great.
chunon and Sonyboy like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a (SOLD) and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #5 of 44 Old 05-21-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 4939
Quote:
Keep the GX for the size.
post #6 of 44 Old 05-21-2020, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Question followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Keep the GX for the size.
D-Nice, I know you and I have touched on this subject before, but (aside from LG/SONY) in terms of "picture quality" of someone watching 1080i broadcast (say college football), isn't that smaller (65" screen) picture going to show sharper than a 77" with same 1080i material on it ? That has generally been my understanding, at least with "stretching" that 1080i material out there.

I know with 4K material, there is no question that for the "impact" factor, 77" is way to go...sure.

Thanks.
post #7 of 44 Old 05-21-2020, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 4939
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
D-Nice, I know you and I have touched on this subject before, but (aside from LG/SONY) in terms of "picture quality" of someone watching 1080i broadcast (say college football), isn't that smaller (65" screen) picture going to show sharper than a 77" with same 1080i material on it ? That has generally been my understanding, at least with "stretching" that 1080i material out there.

I know with 4K material, there is no question that for the "impact" factor, 77" is way to go...sure.

Thanks.
When watching football on my 77” and 65” TVs, I never thought the 77” was softer than the 65”. Of course a 65” 1080p would be sharper than both a 77” and 65” 4K TV.
WOLVERNOLE and wxman like this.
post #8 of 44 Old 05-21-2020, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 105
That’s what I’m debating. Go with the newest tech on a 65” A8H or go with a77” A9G as the 65” is so much less expensive.

Sony XBR77A9G | Panasonic UB820 | Sony UBP-X800 | Apple TV 4K | Yamaha CX-A5200 | Polk LSI | Axiom Audio M5HP | Emotiva C2 | SVS SB-13 Ultra | May the Lord be with You
post #9 of 44 Old 05-21-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3365 Post(s)
Liked: 4150
^its tough...but if it were me, the 77A9G all the way.
chunon and sd13 like this.
post #10 of 44 Old 05-21-2020, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post
That’s what I’m debating. Go with the newest tech on a 65” A8H or go with a77” A9G as the 65” is so much less expensive.
Yea I have a 77”GX but I’m going back to Sony. Just not 100% if I should go with the A9G as it has audio eARC issues which is what made me try LG or go down in size to the A8H. Either way, I’m going back to Sony. The LG is good, but I’m stuck in my ways. My entire set up is Sony and I’ve only ever had Sony TVs and the LG just doesn’t feel right.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #11 of 44 Old 05-21-2020, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Quote:
Yea I have a 77”GX but I’m going back to Sony. Just not 100% if I should go with the A9G as it has audio eARC issues which is what made me try LG or go down in size to the A8H. Either way, I’m going back to Sony. The LG is good,
but I’m stuck in my ways. My entire set up is Sony and I’ve only ever had Sony TVs and the LG just doesn’t feel right.
That’s a sweet TV. Did you move up in size when you got the LG? If so, do you think 77” is worth the cost?

Perhaps you are more familiar with the menu system on the Sony. Or maybe you like the Sony’s look more than the LG.

I’m more familiar with LG’s webos as I’ve had an LG OLED for 5 years now. I actually worry about my wife trying to operate the Sony menu system. I have an LG C9 that I thought I got a good deal on as a display model from Costco, but when I checked the hours I was disappointed to see 4000 so I’m going to take it back.

The LG’s picture in HDR is sweet. Dolby Vision is awesome. Coming from a 2015 OLED I’m sure I would be happy with either an LG or Sony. But for not much more money than I paid for the C9 I can get a CX with the new panel or an A8H. I’m talking 65” size which is what my old LG was.

I really don’t have any experience with earc. My surround sound system is in limbo. I bought a processor I’ve wanted for years and was saving up for an amp, but then my tv bit the dust. So now the amp is on hold until I figure out what display to get.

I’m just really debating if I should spend the extra cash for the 77” over the 65”. 65” is adequate for my needs. I outlined the 77” on the wall around my 65” to try and visualize if it would be worth the extra $. My eyes say yes, but my wallet says no.

I’m also wondering if the Sony will be as bright as the LG in HDR and Dolby Vision. If so, I would pop for the Sony’s processing. The reviews on the Sony’s Dolby Vision are all over the place. Some say the Sony is dark. Some say it’s dark but the specular highlights are better than the LG. Some say they are so close that it doesn’t matter. All say the Sony’s color is better. If I could walk in a show room and compare them I’m sure making a decision would be easier.

Sony XBR77A9G | Panasonic UB820 | Sony UBP-X800 | Apple TV 4K | Yamaha CX-A5200 | Polk LSI | Axiom Audio M5HP | Emotiva C2 | SVS SB-13 Ultra | May the Lord be with You
post #12 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
BigBlue, could you please share a link to the "shootout by VE"?
post #13 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
That’s a sweet TV. Did you move up in size when you got the LG? If so, do you think 77” is worth the cost?

I have an LG C9 that I thought I got a good deal on as a display model from Costco, but when I checked the hours I was disappointed to see 4000 so I’m going to take it back.

But for not much more money than I paid for the C9 I can get a CX with the new panel or an A8H. I’m talking 65” size which is what my old LG was.

I’m also wondering if the Sony will be as bright as the LG in HDR and Dolby Vision. If so, I would pop for the Sony’s processing. The reviews on the Sony’s Dolby Vision are all over the place. Some say the Sony is dark. Some say it’s dark but the specular highlights are better than the LG. Some say they are so close that it doesn’t matter. All say the Sony’s color is better.
1. 65" vs. 77" - Simple, it depends on how far you will be sitting from the display.
2. 4000 hrs - Not sure what you expected with a floor model. They are on all day long, and that is last year's model so of course it was on a lot!
3. If you go 65", the A8H is the better display, although you can't go wrong with either.
4. The mystery of dark DV with Sony was solved by D-Nice. Use DV Bright, not DV Dark, since it is the most accurate when using any external device for streaming/watching movies (connected to the display over HDMI). Then, DV is basically the same, LG vs. Sony.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #14 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Yea I have a 77”GX but I’m going back to Sony. Just not 100% if I should go with the A9G as it has audio eARC issues which is what made me try LG or go down in size to the A8H. Either way, I’m going back to Sony. The LG is good, but I’m stuck in my ways. My entire set up is Sony and I’ve only ever had Sony TVs and the LG just doesn’t feel right.
Is there a reason you’re considering the A9G? You’re previous posts made it sound like you thought the lg was better in every way to the A9G
post #15 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalder19 View Post
Quote:
Yea I have a 77”GX but I’️m going back to Sony. Just not 100% if I should go with the A9G as it has audio eARC issues which is what made me try LG or go down in size to the A8H. Either way, I’️m going back to Sony. The LG is good, but I’️m stuck in my ways. My entire set up is Sony and I’️ve only ever had Sony TVs and the LG just doesn’️t feel right.
Is there a reason you’️re considering the A9G? You’️re previous posts made it sound like you thought the lg was better in every way to the A9G
The LG CX/GX is a great TV but it’s not “better” in every way. I apologize if that’s how I made it seem. I was trying to point out how the LG has finally “caught up” to Sony. With its processing and motion handling. They’ve always lagged behind in every department but now they’re near peer. But, after watching various sources for hours over the past week, I’ve noticed the LG still slightly lags behind Sony with low bit rate content and motion processing. Yes, the CX/GX handles Motion and low quality sources better than any LG has before, but it’s still not as clean and sharp as the Sony and my wife watches ALOT of cable. HGTV and such. When it comes to HDR and native 4K content it’s like splitting hairs between the two as most have pointed out. Let’s say the difference in high quality content is, the LG may be brighter overall, but Sony uses brightness differently to bring out more detail and depth to the picture. In a bright sky scene, you’ll see the detail in the sun and clouds while on the LG there would be less detail but the entire picture would be brighter overall with more color pop. The main reason I’m going back is for the better low quality cable source handling and the familiarity with the Sony menus and android TV. Webos is good but I’ve had nothing but Sony TVs since 2009. I used to work at the Sonystyle store on Madison Ave in NYC when it existed selling TVs and cameras lol. So it just feels weird. I thought I’d try something new because the audio issues I was having pissed me off. The dropouts made me upset with Sony because I wasn’t used to having issues with their products. The LG is great and yes they have caught up to Sony a lot and are way better than they used to be. But if your a videophile and movie buff like myself, and only game casually when you happen to find the free time smh, there’s just no replacement for Sony’s accurate processing and PQ. I know I seem all over the place but when you’re spending Over 5 grand on a 77” TV your going to have for years, you want to be comfortable with it. I’ll just hope they hurry up and deal with the eARC audio issue via onboard apps or I’ll just turn off Dolby Digital+ for now until everything’s corrected
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #16 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yea I have a 77”GX but I’m going back to Sony. Just not 100% if I should go with the A9G as it has audio eARC issues which is what made me try LG or go down in size to the A8H. Either way, I’m going back to Sony. The LG is good,
but I’m stuck in my ways. My entire set up is Sony and I’ve only ever had Sony TVs and the LG just doesn’t feel right.

Perhaps you are more familiar with the menu system on the Sony. Or maybe you like the Sony’s look more than the LG.

I’m more familiar with LG’s webos as I’ve had an LG OLED for 5 years now. I actually worry about my wife trying to operate the Sony menu system. I have an LG C9 that I thought I got a good deal on as a display model from Costco, but when I checked the hours I was disappointed to see 4000 so I’m going to take it back.

The LG’s picture in HDR is sweet. Dolby Vision is awesome. Coming from a 2015 OLED I’m sure I would be happy with either an LG or Sony. But for not much more money than I paid for the C9 I can get a CX with the new panel or an A8H. I’m talking 65” size which is what my old LG was.

I really don’t have any experience with earc. My surround sound system is in limbo. I bought a processor I’ve wanted for years and was saving up for an amp, but then my tv bit the dust. So now the amp is on hold until I figure out what display to get.

I’m just really debating if I should spend the extra cash for the 77” over the 65”. 65” is adequate for my needs. I outlined the 77” on the wall around my 65” to try and visualize if it would be worth the extra $. My eyes say yes, but my wallet says no.

I’m also wondering if the Sony will be as bright as the LG in HDR and Dolby Vision. If so, I would pop for the Sony’s processing. The reviews on the Sony’s Dolby Vision are all over the place. Some say the Sony is dark. Some say it’s dark but the specular highlights are better than the LG. Some say they are so close that it doesn’t matter. All say the Sony’s color is better. If I could walk in a show room and compare them I’m sure making a decision would be easier.
That extra real estate with 77” makes a huge difference. The price difference between sizes SUCKS though. But I wouldn’t say get a larger TV if it’s picture quality will be a noticeable downgrade from a 65” you have your eye on. Only go up in size of the PQ is equal or better than the 65”. And for Sony you have to use Dolby Vision Bright instead of Dolby Vision dark even though they say Dark is the most accurate. I think DV bright looks better personally.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #17 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Biggest regret most folks have after buying a TV is the “I should have got the bigger size.” Go 77”.

Yup, I got stuff...
LG OLED65C7P, LG 55EG9100
Marantz SR6012, Classe Sigma Amp5, Oppo BDP-203
PSB Synchrony One mains, Synchrony two center and surrounds, 2x SVS SB12-NSD
XBox One X
post #18 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
And for Sony you have to use Dolby Vision Bright instead of Dolby Vision dark even though they say Dark is the most accurate. I think DV bright looks better personally.
No, D-Nice showed that DV Bright is the most accurate, at least for external sources using an HDMI connection. He was going to check out which is most accurate for the internal apps, but I don't think he's done that yet.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #19 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
The LG CX/GX is a great TV but it’s not “better” in every way. I apologize if that’s how I made it seem. I was trying to point out how the LG has finally “caught up” to Sony. With its processing and motion handling. They’ve always lagged behind in every department but now they’re near peer. But, after watching various sources for hours over the past week, I’ve noticed the LG still slightly lags behind Sony with low bit rate content and motion processing. Yes, the CX/GX handles Motion and low quality sources better than any LG has before, but it’s still not as clean and sharp as the Sony and my wife watches ALOT of cable. HGTV and such. When it comes to HDR and native 4K content it’s like splitting hairs between the two as most have pointed out. Let’s say the difference in high quality content is, the LG may be brighter overall, but Sony uses brightness differently to bring out more detail and depth to the picture. In a bright sky scene, you’ll see the detail in the sun and clouds while on the LG there would be less detail but the entire picture would be brighter overall with more color pop. The main reason I’m going back is for the better low quality cable source handling and the familiarity with the Sony menus and android TV. Webos is good but I’ve had nothing but Sony TVs since 2009. I used to work at the Sonystyle store on Madison Ave in NYC when it existed selling TVs and cameras lol. So it just feels weird. I thought I’d try something new because the audio issues I was having pissed me off. The dropouts made me upset with Sony because I wasn’t used to having issues with their products. The LG is great and yes they have caught up to Sony a lot and are way better than they used to be. But if your a videophile and movie buff like myself, and only game casually when you happen to find the free time smh, there’s just no replacement for Sony’s accurate processing and PQ. I know I seem all over the place but when you’re spending Over 5 grand on a 77” TV your going to have for years, you want to be comfortable with it. I’ll just hope they hurry up and deal with the eARC audio issue via onboard apps or I’ll just turn off Dolby Digital+ for now until everything’s corrected
Ok, gotcha. I'm similar to you, occasionally game but mostly movie and tv watching. I think you've said though that the near black is better on the lg, but low bit rate stuff like cable cleans up better on the sony?

My main issue with my previous oled (lg b6) was ugly macroblocking near black. But I don't know if it was caused by bad near black processing, low bit rate content, or a combo of both. So I would want the one that deals with this issue the best. Seems like the a8h nails both but I do want 77inch so the a8h is out. So which do you think handles this better out of the a9g and cx? I also don't use cable, mainly netflix, hulu, hbogo, prime etc..
post #20 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
The LG CX/GX is a great TV but it’️s not “betterâ€Â in every way. I apologize if that’️s how I made it seem. I was trying to point out how the LG has finally “caught upâ€Â to Sony. With its processing and motion handling. They’️ve always lagged behind in every department but now they’️re near peer. But, after watching various sources for hours over the past week, I’️ve noticed the LG still slightly lags behind Sony with low bit rate content and motion processing. Yes, the CX/GX handles Motion and low quality sources better than any LG has before, but it’️s still not as clean and sharp as the Sony and my wife watches ALOT of cable. HGTV and such. When it comes to HDR and native 4K content it’️s like splitting hairs between the two as most have pointed out. Let’️s say the difference in high quality content is, the LG may be brighter overall, but Sony uses brightness differently to bring out more detail and depth to the picture. In a bright sky scene, you’️ll see the detail in the sun and clouds while on the LG there would be less detail but the entire picture would be brighter overall with more color pop. The main reason I’️m going back is for the better low quality cable source handling and the familiarity with the Sony menus and android TV. Webos is good but I’️ve had nothing but Sony TVs since 2009. I used to work at the Sonystyle store on Madison Ave in NYC when it existed selling TVs and cameras lol. So it just feels weird. I thought I’️d try something new because the audio issues I was having pissed me off. The dropouts made me upset with Sony because I wasn’️t used to having issues with their products. The LG is great and yes they have caught up to Sony a lot and are way better than they used to be. But if your a videophile and movie buff like myself, and only game casually when you happen to find the free time smh, there’️s just no replacement for Sony’️s accurate processing and PQ. I know I seem all over the place but when you’️re spending Over 5 grand on a 77â€Â TV your going to have for years, you want to be comfortable with it. I’️ll just hope they hurry up and deal with the eARC audio issue via onboard apps or I’️ll just turn off Dolby Digital+ for now until everything’️s corrected
Ok, gotcha. I'm similar to you, occasionally game but mostly movie and tv watching. I think you've said though that the near black is better on the lg, but low bit rate stuff like cable cleans up better on the sony?

My main issue with my previous oled (lg b6) was ugly macroblocking near black. But I don't know if it was caused by bad near black processing, low bit rate content, or a combo of both. So I would want the one that deals with this issue the best. Seems like the a8h nails both but I do want 77inch so the a8h is out. So which do you think handles this better out of the a9g and cx? I also don't use cable, mainly netflix, hulu, hbogo, prime etc..
Yes the Sony has macroblocking and flashing in near blacks but mainly with low bit rate content like cable. If you’re not watching cable at all, it’s hard to choose because they both perform great with HD content. So it boils down to price and which operating system you prefer. For the price, I’d go with the A9G. Yes The LG handles the near blacks better and has less macroblocking but it is still there. Just less prominent. But that’s with cable. You want a brighter, more color saturated HDR picture with pop, go with the CX/GX. If you want a more accurate, detailed picture with SLIGHTLY better motion in HDR go Sony. After putting both to the test, I realized it took LG a brand new processor and an extra year to make a TV experience that’s equal to Sony. Their 2020 flagship is neck and neck with Sony’s previous year. That says a lot.

P.S. I forgot, another Huge deal breaker for me, NO HBO GO APP ON THE 2020 LG! You have to use Apple TV and buy a hbo now subscription smh
jbalder19 likes this.

Last edited by BigBlue83; 05-22-2020 at 08:34 AM.
post #21 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthdt View Post
Quote:
After today’️s shootout by VE, would you compromise on size and save money for an overall better PQ in the A8H at 65”? Or would you keep the larger real estate at 77”. PQ only wise, not factoring gaming features. Thoughts?
BigBlue, could you please share a link to the "shootout by VE"?
https://youtu.be/2_ugOlfqYGo https://youtu.be/2_ugOlfqYGo
post #22 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Is there a reason you’re considering the A9G? You’re previous posts made it sound like you thought the lg was better in every way to the A9G
Not him, but I just strongly DISLIKE the "duck feet" stand. The A9G just looks much more refined/classier, starting with the flatish stand. I am principally "in this" for picture quality, and following that mini-shootout, feel that the A8H is a tad/scosh better than the A9G, so this is NOT an easy call for me.
jbalder19 likes this.
post #23 of 44 Old 05-22-2020, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
Bigger OLED, isn’t that what we all want?
Cam1977 likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #24 of 44 Old 05-23-2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:

After watching the shootout,it is clear that the you need to avoid CX at any cost, or at-least avoid replacing the 3-D lut using calman.
The LG set has an obvious red tint.

Secondly: Screen uniformity, in the commentary it was mentioned 2020 sets has better uniformity, but the CX has a large pink blob in the upper right corner, extremely obvious

Hence I wish calman could release a version that does not replace the LUT of the LG TV, but mere adjustments, like Sony, Panasonic.
I am sure the LG measures perfectly after the "calibration" but it looks extremely hot.

It does not inspire confidence in the CX.
post #25 of 44 Old 05-23-2020, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I am sure the LG measures perfectly after the "calibration" but it looks extremely hot.

Looks on a you tube video cam be deceiving.
post #26 of 44 Old 05-23-2020, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG_Da_Bears View Post
Looks on a you tube video cam be deceiving.

I agree, the video quality of the broadcast was not convincing, the exposure etc was all around the place. Maybe they should ask HDTVtest how he records his comparisons.
post #27 of 44 Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked: 3974

Quote:
After watching the shootout,it is clear that the you need to avoid CX at any cost, or at-least avoid replacing the 3-D lut using calman.
The LG set has an obvious red tint.

Secondly: Screen uniformity, in the commentary it was mentioned 2020 sets has better uniformity, but the CX has a large pink blob in the upper right corner, extremely obvious

Hence I wish calman could release a version that does not replace the LUT of the LG TV, but mere adjustments, like Sony, Panasonic.

You can calibrate LG’s manually with Calman if that is you preference, but I am really surprised someone would make a purchasing decision solely based on a YouTube video.

I had a C8 for over a year and the 3dlut calibration works quite well .

77”A9G Direct Tv AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 Yamaha V685

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #28 of 44 Old 05-23-2020, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

4. The mystery of dark DV with Sony was solved by D-Nice. Use DV Bright, not DV Dark, since it is the most accurate when using any external device for streaming/watching movies (connected to the display over HDMI). Then, DV is basically the same, LG vs. Sony.

THIS is where I get stuck. While I know that the above is soundly sourced, Vincent did a review of the A9G against the C9 (I think) and he lamented that when he shifted the Sony to DV Bright as suggested he got washed out highlights and such which you could clearly see in the vid. ???

Last edited by zeromothra; 05-23-2020 at 05:03 AM.
post #29 of 44 Old 05-23-2020, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Yes the Sony has macroblocking and flashing in near blacks but mainly with low bit rate content like cable. ...

I believe it was mentioned that this was corrected on the A8H applying their version of BFI on 1 or 2?

Last edited by zeromothra; 05-23-2020 at 05:03 AM.
post #30 of 44 Old 05-23-2020, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked: 3974

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromothra View Post
THIS is where I get stuck. While I know that the above is soundly sourced, Vincent did a review of the A9G against the C9 (I think) and he lamented that when he shifted the Sony to DV Bright as suggested he got washed out highlights and such which you could clearly see in the vid. ???

I haven’t had that experience in the A9g so far , I do think Dv is less impactful on the Sony but still looks great . On the hdr10 side I prefer the Sony presentation much more balanced and natural

77”A9G Direct Tv AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 Yamaha V685
Cam1977 likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2

Last edited by chunon; 05-23-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page