Should I return my LG CX for a C9? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By LSG_Da_Bears
  • 1 Post By LSG_Da_Bears
  • 2 Post By LSG_Da_Bears
  • 1 Post By andykara2003
  • 1 Post By LSG_Da_Bears
  • 1 Post By andykara2003
  • 1 Post By BillP

post #1 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Should I return my LG CX for a C9?

Hi all,
I’ve bought an LG CX which I am enjoying, but have since read that the C9 is brighter and has full 48gb/s HDMI 2.1.

I am still in the return window. Should I return the CX for a C9?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykara2003 View Post
Hi all,
I’ve bought an LG CX which I am enjoying, but have since read that the C9 is brighter and has full 48gb/s HDMI 2.1.

I am still in the return window. Should I return the CX for a C9?
No, just because its brighter doesn't mean its better, the CX goes bright enough and the 48gbps is pretty much not an issue.
I find it strange that you are enjoying your TV and based on a few minor things you have doubts and want to downgrade to an older TV.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Is it a downgrade though? That’s what I’m trying to work out. In fact Vince’s original title to the video was “ LG CX OLED TV Review: Upgrade or Downgrade vs C9?”

So there is a question there. The c9 definitely does look a bit brighter in the video. Given that brightness is the main limitation of oled, wouldn't a bit more brightness be desirable? I’m just asking as a novice. The brightness difference is pretty clear in his video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FT5VK5...ture=emb_title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Is it a downgrade though? That’s what I’m trying to work out. In fact Vince’s original title to the video was “ LG CX OLED TV Review: Upgrade or Downgrade vs C9?”

So there is a question there. The c9 definitely does look a bit brighter in the video. Given that brightness is the main limitation of oled, wouldn't a bit more brightness be desirable? I’m just asking as a novice. The brightness difference is pretty clear in his video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FT5VK5...ture=emb_title
In any case the CX goes bright enough, and has other advantages in overall picture quality, any bugs should be fixed over time and don't forget the C9 has had firmware updates over time to iron out any issues as well.

As Vincent pretty much says at the end its either or, nothing wrong with either. You have the CX and are enjoying it you shouldn't worry the C9 having a little more brightness.

I have had my CX since early May and not once have I thought that I should have got the C9, even after the comparisons between the CX and C9.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
In any case the CX goes bright enough, and has other advantages in overall picture quality, any bugs should be fixed over time and don't forget the C9 has had firmware updates over time to iron out any issues as well.

As Vincent pretty much says at the end its either or, nothing wrong with either. You have the CX and are enjoying it you shouldn't worry the C9 having a little more brightness.

I have had my CX since early May and not once have I thought that I should have got the C9, even after the comparisons between the CX and C9.
Cheers, I think that's key - what other advantages does the CX have over the C9 in picture quality? I'm a novice so apologies for the ignorance. As far as I can tell, the differences are:

120Hz BFI, which I'm not interested in as I don't like the reduced brightness and I find the motion fine anyway

Better near black handling on low bit rate content - which doesn't apply as I don't watch low bit rate content

AI picture pro - not sure about this, but have set it to on

Are there any other differences I should be looking at before I decide to return?
post #6 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Cheers, I think that's key - what other advantages does the CX have over the C9 in picture quality? I'm a novice so apologies for the ignorance. As far as I can tell, the differences are:

120Hz BFI, which I'm not interested in as I don't like the reduced brightness and I find the motion fine anyway

Better near black handling on low bit rate content - which doesn't apply as I don't watch low bit rate content

AI picture pro - not sure about this, but have set it to on

Are there any other differences I should be looking at before I decide to return?
There was something in the C9/CX comparison early on that the CX was better at, but will have to have another watch.

Ai picture pro, I think only has an effect on low quality SDR content, and I gather it improves the picture slightly over time, I have it on for all picture modes but can't say I have noticed any changes yet but I watch mostly Netflix and majority is in HDR.

I'm looking forward to to see what the June firmware update fixes or improves, apparently there may be some improvements in HDR.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
There was something in the C9/CX comparison early on that the CX was better at, but will have to have another watch.

Ai picture pro, I think only has an effect on low quality SDR content, and I gather it improves the picture slightly over time, I have it on for all picture modes but can't say I have noticed any changes yet but I watch mostly Netflix and majority is in HDR.

I'm looking forward to to see what the June firmware update fixes or improves, apparently there may be some improvements in HDR.
I just stumbled across this thread, which sheds quite a bit of light on this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/commen...ve_completely/

Apparently when Rtings did the C9 review they stated higher brightness than other reviewers. They chime in on the thread above, saying that they were most likely lucky with their C9 and unlucky with their CX.

What throws me is Vincent's review from HDTVtest - you can definitely see a higher brightness on the C9 when viewed side by side. Perhaps that's a case of panel lottery as well, but who knows..

My biggest concern now is lack of DTS support - I have a Sony HT-F9Z soundbar (3.1) that I might upgrade to 5.1. Does this means that I won't be able to get 3.1/5.1 surround for PS4 games, Netflix, Amazon etc?
post #8 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I just stumbled across this thread, which sheds quite a bit of light on this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/commen...ve_completely/

Apparently when Rtings did the C9 review they stated higher brightness than other reviewers. They chime in on the thread above, saying that they were most likely lucky with their C9 and unlucky with their CX.

What throws me is Vincent's review from HDTVtest - you can definitely see a higher brightness on the C9 when viewed side by side. Perhaps that's a case of panel lottery as well, but who knows..

My biggest concern now is lack of DTS support - I have a Sony HT-F9Z soundbar (3.1) that I might upgrade to 5.1. Does this means that I won't be able to get 3.1/5.1 surround for PS4 games, Netflix, Amazon etc?
Sounds like you want someone to tell you to return it. Do so IF it makes you happy to return it.

Unless you are running a server of ripped movies and only have the DTS track as your audio, it will not affect you.

Unless the brightness of the CX is low enough you are having a problem seeing the show you are watching, the brightness difference is not affecting you.
andykara2003 likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG_Da_Bears View Post
Sounds like you want someone to tell you to return it. Do so IF it makes you happy to return it.

Unless you are running a server of ripped movies and only have the DTS track as your audio, it will not affect you.

Unless the brightness of the CX is low enough you are having a problem seeing the show you are watching, the brightness difference is not affecting you.
Not at all - I'd much rather not have to go through the hassle of returning it and getting a C9 - I'd only do so if it meant the C9 is definitely better for my use case.

I understand your point that for some people as long as they can make out the image they're happy, but I like bright punchy images so I'm in the other camp.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Not at all - I'd much rather not have to go through the hassle of returning it and getting a C9 - I'd only do so if it meant the C9 is definitely better for my use case.

I understand your point that for some people as long as they can make out the image they're happy, but I like bright punchy images so I'm in the other camp.
I get the hassle part, but it goes back to what would make you happy. If it makes you happy you gotta do it.

I do not think, and I am not the expert, there was not enough difference in the nits to be more than possible panel variation. You could end up with a C9 with a bit more brightness, but they are also worse for banding and tinting.

In the owners form, one of the calibrators was indicating a potential update coming soon making the picture even better than the C9 picture noticeably.

There may be settings you can adjust as well to make it pop more. I can only say what makes me happy and with following D-Nice's calibration in the owners thread, I got the best picture on a TV I have ever owned. Of course, I have always owned budget TV's, so the bar was pretty low.
andykara2003 likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:
In the owners form, one of the calibrators was indicating a potential update coming soon making the picture even better than the C9 picture noticeably.
Here is a post just made by the calibrator I mentioned. It is in the owners thread. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59729988

All i can say is i've calibrated eight 2020 LG OLEDs and carefully tested three to see variances and at the end of the day the set performs excellent. LG has made subtle improvements that in my opinion, are on par with the Sony. You have to be careful about many reports because not all are true. Just go by the reports from Vincent Teoh, D-Nice, myself and i thought Rtings has a nice review as well.

Some miss information:

1) The 2020 LGs aren't as bright. Not really true. Same panel variance. I'm measuring 680-740 nits first read, 10%, D65. Pretty much in line with last year.
2) C9 is better for gaming. Maybe but since both TVs have 10 bit panels as long as your game console can support 10 bit you shouldn't have a problem.
3) No DTS is a deal breaker. Only if you use the internal apps to stream ripped videos. Other TVs support basic DTS and not DTS:X so there are limitations anyway.
4) The 2020 LGs have elevated blacks. Not true except slightly with DV but is minimized once calibrated or setting black level to 49. This is a Dolby problem that will be fixed. What you need to be careful about is, all OLEDs, can be spot on with perfect black, crushing slightly or raised slightly from the factory. Just a fact due to the technology and QC. That said, if you get a set that's not spot on, you need to adjust the black level one click either way ( that's why there is a control right? ), or get your set calibrated. I've seen this on a couple of sets. You can also get good results calibrating this set with Calman Home for LG. It's simple, relatively inexpensive, as long as you follow the instructions. Remember you get great results for home use but if you want professional reference results you need reference equipment and need a professional calibrator or invest in the equipment and software to accomplish this.

I feel Vincent Teoh's recent videos are probably the best to go by since he shows content and test patterns to prove what he is seeing and reporting. Always well thought out and executed.

And the folks at LG, i agree with Vincent, they are very dedicated, care 100% about getting us the best PQ and are continually improving the set via firmware over the model year. I have a lot of confidence in LG now more than ever.

As far as getting a C9 vs a CX, you better hurry because i don't believe 2019 OLEDs are being manufactured any longer so you can only get what's in stock.
andykara2003 and Dave_6 like this.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here is a post just made by the calibrator I mentioned
Thanks so much for all that, hugely appreciated. That makes things much easier, I'll definitely keep the CX then. And its good to hear that the 2020 panels he's seen are all decent. I'm looking forward to seeing how that June update will improve HDR as well - I'll keep an eye on that.

He says "as long as your game console can support 10 bit you shouldn't have a problem.".

Surely the next gen consoles would have to support 10 bit wouldn't they?
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for all that, hugely appreciated. That makes things much easier, I'll definitely keep the CX then. And its good to hear that the 2020 panels he's seen are all decent. I'm looking forward to seeing how that June update will improve HDR as well - I'll keep an eye on that.

He says "as long as your game console can support 10 bit you shouldn't have a problem.".

Wouldn't the next gen consoles 100% definitely support 10 bit?
What he is referring to is PC people who want to output 4:4:4 at 12 bits cannot because the HDMI bandwidth was reduced from 48GB/S to 40 GB/s. However, as the panels are only 10 bit, it is a non issue. This is not a concern for consoles, so all should be good. Consoles will support 10 bit.
andykara2003 likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-30-2020, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Consoles will support 10 bit.
Thanks again, I'll stop worrying about it now - your help has been invaluable & saved me a lot of hassle
LSG_Da_Bears likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-08-2020, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Thanks again, I'll stop worrying about it now - your help has been invaluable & saved me a lot of hassle

Don’t worry about it for sure! I’ve had both sets, I had a 65 CX for a couple of weeks and now have a replacement C9, due to panel issues. However I would have kept the CX otherwise for future-proofing. To my amateur eyes I would say brightness is the same and the motion handling on the CX is a bit better than C9 (not using 120Hz BFI), just looking at the interpolation is better using the CX’s Cinema Clear algorithm not on the C9. Other than that it was much of a much really for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #16 of 18 Old 06-10-2020, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I waiting for Panasonic to come back to the USA soon.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-11-2020, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp123 View Post
I waiting for Panasonic to come back to the USA soon.
I think it's going to be a very long wait - like never. They recently stopped selling their OLEDs in Canada, so I don't see them coming to the US (or back to Canada) in the next few years. What is your source for stating they are coming to the US "soon?"
lsorensen likes this.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #18 of 18 Old 06-11-2020, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
I think it's going to be a very long wait - like never. They recently stopped selling their OLEDs in Canada, so I don't see them coming to the US (or back to Canada) in the next few years. What is your source for stating they are coming to the US "soon?"
Wow, that sucks Panasonic is the only one who is pushing hdr at this point, Their 2020 OLED has a peak brightness of 1000 nits, hdr movies must be amazing on this tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page