have lg oled displays visibly improved in the last 5 years? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-01-2020, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question have lg oled displays visibly improved in the last 5 years?

I just looked over at rtings.com to see if an LG OLED of today is likely to beat one from 5 years ago---roughly, say, a B6 vs BX. if I read their reviews correctly (and due to different versions of their test suite, it isn't perfect), the answer seems to be "not really." maybe in a 1-on-1 comparisons one may see some improvement (black frame insertion?), but for movie viewing of 1080p input material, the differences seem so subtle that they would be unlikely to be obvious. still 10-bit panel, still similar brightness, still similar banding, still similar... . has anyone compared them directly?

(yes, I know that other aspects, like user interface, gadgetry, and price have improved. I am not complaining. I am just curious.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2020, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Both the LG and Sony OLEDs have made slight improvements over the years in PQ. Both the panels and the processors have improved. So yes, LG has improved upscaling for SDR material and motion handling, although IMO they are still slightly behind Sony. The yearly improvements have been only incremental, but the 2020 models are better IMO than they were 5 years ago. If you watch mostly SDR (1080p and especially 1080i, 720p, or 480i), then I would recommend the Sony A8H, although you can't really go wrong with either brand.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #3 of 9 Old 06-02-2020, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 512
I guess about the same as the Pannay plasma sets did from around the V10 to the VT60.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-02-2020, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
thanks, bill. if I showed you a movie in a room on only one TV, could you tell whether it is a B6 or a CX? I find it strange that in all these years, they never managed to go to a 12-bit panel. (I presume it would eliminate banding in dark scenes, which is what I dislike most in my 2016 Vizio P1.)

[rant]

I did purchase a nice Sony Android TV and bluray bdv-5200 in Germany for my aging mother about 4 years ago. it was terrible. nothing would really work reliably. sometimes the remote would work, sometimes not. sometimes sound, sometimes not. sometimes on the TV, sometimes not. try to explain to an elderly technophobe why a reputable company can't "just work."

sony and android tv---not if I can help it. maybe it's gotten better by now (and is no longer designed primarily by DRM lawyers); but if I have a choice, I would much rather have something that I know works. heck, I would prefer a second-class tv like a TCL roku tv. I presume LG webos is solid like roku. my life is too short.

my vizio tv similarly sucks. it is usable only because of the roku, but they don't have roku in germany.

[/rant]
post #5 of 9 Old 06-02-2020, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch View Post
if I showed you a movie in a room on only one TV, could you tell whether it is a B6 or a CX?
If watching a DVD (480i) or a TV broadcast (720p or 1080i), then IMO yes, the CX would be better than the B6. If a 1080p BluRay or 4k material, it would probably depend on how you did in the panel lottery with your B6. The panels should be more consistently good in 2020 than several years ago (more banding, less uniformity back then).

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #6 of 9 Old 06-02-2020, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seem to be incremental increases as the tech trickles down to lower models. I'll be ready for an upgrade soon.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-03-2020, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
thanks, bill. if I showed you a movie in a room on only one TV, could you tell whether it is a B6 or a CX?
On one TV only? No way. A lot of people wouldn't even be able to tell an OLED from a FALD LCD under these conditions.
Side by side? Definitely. The CX is much brighter on SDR material and a little brighter on HDR. Mostly though it's already been done in the C9. Also, better scaling on the CX.

Quote:
I find it strange that in all these years, they never managed to go to a 12-bit panel. (I presume it would eliminate banding in dark scenes, which is what I dislike most in my 2016 Vizio P1.)
It would not eliminate banding.
In fact, the amount of banding on pre-existing content is similar even between 8-bit HDR (available as TV HLG and as a glitch mode on PC) and 10-bit HDR. The banding you see in some movies comes from the source material not being processed or encoded in a way that removes visible banding.

Displaying 10-bit content with banding on a 12-bit panel would do absolutely nothing to reduce banding. The TV can't do all the guesswork for you: if the content consists of distinct bands, that's what it's going to show. And if the TV does some aggressive AI processing that does distinguish between intentional and accidental banding, it doesn't need a 12-bit panel; the gradient can be dithered across as many bits as available, be it more or less than 10. But remember that aggressive processing with guesswork on the TV's part will make mistakes, which can be perceived as some nonspecific "off", similar to how motion smoothing is never quite right.

For the most part, if the studio has released a movie with banding, that's what you're going to see, whatever your panel is capable of. Even el cheapo 6-bit panels used on low-end or gaming PC displays and small cheap TVs don't create banding out of the blue, instead they create AFRC noise and artifacts.
This applies to gradient banding, not the separate issue of vertical stripes around 5% specific to current WOLED.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-03-2020, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I just looked over at rtings.com to see if an LG OLED of today is likely to beat one from 5 years ago---roughly, say, a B6 vs BX. if I read their reviews correctly (and due to different versions of their test suite, it isn't perfect), the answer seems to be "not really." maybe in a 1-on-1 comparisons one may see some improvement (black frame insertion?), but for movie viewing of 1080p input material, the differences seem so subtle that they would be unlikely to be obvious. still 10-bit panel, still similar brightness, still similar banding, still similar... . has anyone compared them directly?

(yes, I know that other aspects, like user interface, gadgetry, and price have improved. I am not complaining. I am just curious.)
Hi

I have an 65" LG B7 and found substantial improvement with Panasonic GZ1000, "richness" improved of the image.

So B6 to BX should be probably noticeable. Some quirks remain.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-04-2020, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I would say lg peaked with the c8 and sony with the a9f after these models you wont see any difference with the naked eye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page