TV Brightness Should Be Easily Adjustable like Volume - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 113Likes

post #1 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9559 Post(s)
Liked: 17008
TV Brightness Should Be Easily Adjustable like Volume

Think about it... if you want to change the audio volume on your TV, you grab a remote and press a button the same way you would if changing channels. But if instead you want to adjust the brightness of the screen, you need to go into the menu system and then understand that the control called "brightness" might not even do what you want it to.

That's absurd. It's a flaw found in most TVs. There's absolutely nothing stopping TV makers from giving consumers control over the "actual" brightness of their screen, which is adjusted using the OLED light (or LED backlight) controls, not "Brightness". What I'd love to see is hotkeys on a remote for the backlight/OLED light slider.

Similarly, changing between picture modes is a menu-dependent action on many TVs when it should have its own button (just like input does) to cycle through the modes.

The "Standard" picture mode on most TVs is a travesty, but lately the "Movie" or "Cinema" modes have shown good accuracy. But when you take a TV out of the box it's not in the Movie mode and many consumers have no idea that a higher quality viewing experience lurks within. Gamers luck out a little bit with Auto Game Mode functionality becoming more commonplace, and some TVs have a dedicated Netflix mode that is in effect an "Auto Movie Mode" but just for that one service.

What's needed for someone in the TV industry to step up and make it super easy to choose the picture mode on your TV, and even then... to make it easy to adjust the apparent brightness of that picture mode in an intuitive manner. And by intuitive, I mean by giving the feature its own dedicated buttons on a remote control, so that anyone can and will use it.

The best thing most consumers can do to improve the picture quality of their TV is to switch to the Movie mode (that should not have any motion interpolation processing). But from there, they need to be allowed to adjust the brightness of the display to suit their room and personal taste—without making it a confusing hassle and creating the risk of mucking things up, which is what happens when people go spelunking in the advanced setup menus.

This post is inspired by the LG 65GX OLED I currently have in for review. Its picture quality is sublime, but every day I'm going into the menu and tweaking the "OLED Light" level to match the ambient light conditions of my living room.

---------

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Please help support AVS Forum by using these links. Learn more about how this works here.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-24-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2411 Post(s)
Liked: 3362
Really Mark? There's a setting that adjusts the brightness of the display to the viewing conditions of your room - AI Brightness I believe.
richardsim7, mrtickleuk and dfa973 like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a (SOLD) and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #3 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Ideally one should have a few blank buttons on the remote for options one uses a lot or even stuff like settings.
BiggAW, sadsushi and mik2h like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 820
And imagic - this is for every and all TV manufacturers:

Please stop using your BS marketing lingo to describe (& obscure) adjustments like the motion processing modes & all settings! There's no excuse for this terrible practice when an inexperienced, unknowledgeable owner has no idea that he/she needs to set 4K inputs to HDMI "enhanced" mode (or whatever BS term you use) to get maximum bandwidth to deliver all the PQ the set is capable of. I'm pretty knowledgeable about display tech but I pity the normal buyer, and even I couldn't tell what some of the settings really do behind the scenes.

I'm tired to death of trying to interpret terms like Clear Motion since you no longer put out real manuals, no longer have descriptions based on the technology, no longer have done anything to educate the buyer.

It's a shame that to really figure out these settings you have to find and read multitudinous reviews as well as watch 30 minute YouTubes of people like Vincent HDTVTest to find out that a certain adjustment does the black frame insertion when you have provided zero documentation of same.

Sony's been guilty of substituting marketing lingo for detailed descriptions for years and not just for TV's, they do it for audio gear too. But all of them are guilty. At least put the details or technical description in an addendum at the end How lazy can you companies be?

When I first got the Sony UHD OLED for our main AV room, I was appalled at how poor the so-called manual was. Barely better than the QSG. Compared to how detailed and descriptive the manual for the Pioneer Kuro plasma was (and all their products), Sony's is a joke. I have a hard time believing LG and Samsung are any better at this.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 06-23-2020 at 06:27 AM.
post #5 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 560
You are too funny!

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #6 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
You are too funny!

Me or imagic?
Squirrel! likes this.

Steve
post #7 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Really Mark? There's a setting that adjusts the brightness of the display to the viewing conditions of your room - AI Brightness I believe.
Yes really. Not an AI feature... a directly accessible control with manual adjustment.
BiggAW, D Bone, Spock1234 and 1 others like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Me or imagic?
imagic.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #9 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yes really. Not an AI feature... a directly accessible control with manual adjustment.
Are you really fartin' around with the brightness that much that you need direct access? LOL

post #10 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Are you really fartin' around with the brightness that much that you need direct access? LOL
Yes, certainly I adjust it more than volume, which pretty much stays the same day after day. Realistically, a "Day/Night" button that let me set two OLED light levels and toggle between them would do the trick, it's not like I'm fiddling on the fly, I know the settings I want for each lighting situation and since the sun keeps setting and rising every day, that means fiddling with it twice per day instead of just pushing a button.
wxman, head_unit, gorman42 and 3 others like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #11 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6834 Post(s)
Liked: 4958
Quote:
Yes, certainly I adjust it more than volume, which pretty much stays the same day after day. Realistically, a "Day/Night" button that let me set two OLED light levels and toggle between them would do the trick, it's not like I'm fiddling on the fly, I know the settings I want for each lighting situation and since the sun keeps setting and rising every day, that means fiddling with it twice per day instead of just pushing a button.
Have you investigated managing this via IP or RS232 control and binding buttons to a control system that can translate IR to these methods?

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #12 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Have you investigated managing this via IP or RS232 control and binding buttons to a control system that can translate IR to these methods?
I know this can be done, but like a pro calibration, it's not something a consumer unpacking a new TV is likely to do.

If my personal display was a TV, I'd do that. But I use a 295ES projector with an ALR screen as my main personal display, and its remote provides a dedicated button for each of its picture modes, so I can actually do what I want with it.

IMO, Sony's projector remote has its priorities straight, you can adjust color temp. and motion interpolation and gamma and picture modes and upscaling with dedicated buttons.

What you suggest does speak to the fact the control is there, so it should just be a matter of giving the feature its own button on the standard remote that comes with the TV.
BiggAW, Blasst and coldharbor like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-23-2020 at 07:25 AM.
post #13 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 61
We need a new player in the industry to shake things up. Current smart TVs are actually pretty dumb.
yamato72, mik2h, Bill.L and 1 others like this.
post #14 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6834 Post(s)
Liked: 4958
Quote:
I know this can be done, but like a pro calibration, it's not something a consumer unpacking a new TV is likely to do.

If my personal display was a TV, I'd do that. But I use a 295ES projector with an ALR screen as my main personal display, and its remote provides a dedicated button for each of its picture modes, so I can actually do what I want with it.

IMO, Sony's projector remote has its priorities straight, you can adjust color temp. and motion interpolation and gamma and picture modes and upscaling with dedicated buttons.

What you suggest does speak to the fact the control is there, so it should just be a matter of giving the feature its own button on the standard remote that comes with the TV.
I don't agree that something like brightness should be a main control with their own buttons. This is basically a set-it-and-forget-it setting. It'd be a nightmare to have my kids constantly hitting brightness settings because the button was on the forefront of the remote. On top of that, adding 2 more buttons on a remote makes it look more confusing to the wife. I think most people would *not* want that button on the front of remotes.

The fact that this can be done with something like IP control should appease your use case. I doubt it would be a positive feature to add for the masses.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #15 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
That's one of the benefits of having your OLED professionally calibrated: Day/Night and possibly a lot more adjustments such as for Black & White.
Dave-T and mrtickleuk like this.
post #16 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
if you make brightness so easy to adjust the kids can do it, won't that inspire another 'my kids caused burn-in on my OLED' thread?

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #17 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I don't agree that something like brightness should be a main control with their own buttons. This is basically a set-it-and-forget-it setting. It'd be a nightmare to have my kids constantly hitting brightness settings because the button was on the forefront of the remote. On top of that, adding 2 more buttons on a remote makes it look more confusing to the wife. I think most people would *not* want that button on the front of remotes.

The fact that this can be done with something like IP control should appease your use case. I doubt it would be a positive feature to add for the masses.
I find that notion to be incorrect, optimal brightness for SDR content is ambient light-dependent and with HDR (where brightness is already maxed out) adjusting the midtones is key to getting the best viewing experience.

The better and more capable the TV, the truer this is.
head_unit likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #18 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
if you make brightness so easy to adjust the kids can do it, won't that inspire another 'my kids caused burn-in on my OLED' thread?
I'm sure that topic will persist no matter what, but my thought was that it would extend the life of OLEDs because most people's habit is to adjust it for daytime optimal brightness and then watch a too-bright TV at night. So if you can get them in the habit of lowering the brightness at night that has the dual benefit if being more accurate vs. a proper calibration and extending the TV's life.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #19 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
Strange, I have never adjusted the brightness on my OLED since I initially had it set up 2 years ago.
markmon1, Bruce2019 and dfa973 like this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #20 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Strange, I have never adjusted the brightness on my OLED since I initially had it set up 2 years ago.
It is both strange and typical.

Unless you have total light control (home theater environment) then of course you'd only have one setting.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-23-2020 at 09:02 AM.
post #21 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Not quite on this topic but my LG magic remote has 4 colored buttons near the bottom. What do these buttons do?

Never signs up for anything
post #22 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have a PS4 and a Roku sharing an input on my Samsung KS8000 TV, and I hate to have to go through the menu to turn Game Mode "off." Every time I do it I tell myself I need to create a macro on my Harmony to do "Menu-pause-right-down-down-etc."
post #23 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6258 Post(s)
Liked: 9107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmacat View Post
Not quite on this topic but my LG magic remote has 4 colored buttons near the bottom. What do these buttons do?
It depends on whether the tuner needs them, or an app, or anything else. They are "context-sensitive" as with every use of those 4 coloured buttons over the last 20 years (here in the UK at least). For example, and this is only one example, the Amazon Prime Video app uses them.
dfa973 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #24 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:

Unless you have total light control (home theater environment) then of course you'd only have one setting.
The A1E has a light sensor, and I do have it enabled and it seems to do a great job adjusting whatever needs adjusting based on ambient light levels. Really no different than having the light sensor in your cell phone adjust the screen brightness when you go outside.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #25 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
The A1E has a light sensor, and I do have it enabled and it seems to do a great job adjusting whatever needs adjusting based on ambient light levels. Really no different than having the light sensor in your cell phone adjust the screen brightness when you go outside.
Sure, great. The more reliable that feature is, the better. I've seen it working well, too. I'd still like the option to manually adjust more directly, but I do see here that not a lot of people find value in that.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #26 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 5810 Post(s)
Liked: 4168
You mean like what Pioneer had on their remote years ago with their plasma tv's? I remember the remote with my 5020 had a separate picture mode button that allowed me to quickly switch between picture modes. Funny how we have taken a step backward from 2008.
ss9001 and mik2h like this.
post #27 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Remember CRT times?

Did you ever change Contrast (light output)?

Never.. CRTs worked fine at any time..
dfa973 likes this.

2013 Panasonic TX-P42X60E PDP
2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
ST60 Settings: Custom Mode, Contrast 60 = 100nits peak brightness aka Filmmaker Mode, Panel Brightness Medium
Gamma 2.4, Gamma settings: 10% -30, 80% +3
post #28 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
Quote:

The room is indeed light controlled, although it wasn't that to start with. I don't watch daytime television though.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #29 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
Remember CRT times?

Did you ever change Contrast (light output)?

Never.. CRTs worked fine at any time..
That's because of CRT's much more limited peak brightness (under 200 nits). Don't forget, it was a happy day when plasma TVs finally hit 100 calibrated nits, and now we have much more power on tap. That's the difference... you use the extra brightness by day, but at night or in a light controlled room dialing today's OLEDs back a bit is nice for the eyes and appropriate if you want a calibrated picture. (SDR, not HDR).

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-23-2020 at 02:37 PM.
post #30 of 112 Old 06-23-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

What's changed on the new LG's?

For SD content on my 2016, I have ISF Day, Night, Cinema, and one of the others all configured the same (as much as I could) with just different light levels. ISF Day and Night cover anything critical, and the other 2 are for extra dark situations I might be listening more than watching.

It's pretty easy to toggle through the A/V modes with the magic remote, or a universal.
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
cinema mode , movie mode

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page