New HP Plasma TVs - Who makes 'em? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 65 Old 04-05-2006, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking at the Panasonic 50PX-500U, impossible to find now and soon to be replaced by the 600U, or so I am told. I also figured out that Hewlett Packard was rebadging the Panny as an HP model, the HP Pavilion PL5000N. Other than some cosmetic differences, it seems to be the same TV.

Since I couldn't find a Panny 500U anywhere, I thought I'd pick up an HP PL5000N, but they are also gone from the market, impossible to find. Then, in checking the HP net site, it looks like HP has just introduced a whole new line of Plasma TVs. Take a look a the HP net site for a description of the new line. I'm a pretty new poster here, and apparently can't do a link until I have 5 posts. Sorry for the inconvenience, but just Goggle "HP Plasma" and you'll find it.

Does anyone know who makes the new HP plasmas? They don't look anything like the Panasonic models I have seen, instead they look sort of like the non-Elite Pioneer sets. I'd be interested in the answer to that question, and also in the experience of anyone who may have purchased one of the new HP plasmas.

Thanks in advance,

Hap

:confused:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 04:02 AM

I called a sales rep at HP last night to try and find out who makes the components used in the set and was told that they won't say who the suppliers are. All he said was that they use only the highest quality components available. I too will wait to hear from new owners before taking a chance on this new PDP.
post #3 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Just remember HP uses their own unique remote control codes so if you buy an HP Plasma or LCD TV you won't be able to control the TV's functions with other remotes that come with cable boxes, DVRs, Tivo, A/V receivers, and so on. I knew this before i got my HP LCD TV but it's ok because i use the TV by itself with no other components but it's been a real problem for other people who've bought HP TVs.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 06:04 AM

I have heard Sharp makes the new plasmas, but I am not entirely sure. It may sill be Panasonic.
post #5 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhed
I have heard Sharp makes the new plasmas, but I am not entirely sure. It may sill be Panasonic.
Does Sharp even make plasmas? I couldn't find any on their web page.
post #6 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 08:11 AM

Sharp no longer makes Plasmas only LCD's
post #7 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 AM

I just called HP and they said they wre told not to disclose who made it, but that they should be available at major retailers to view in person. I couldn't find it on the CC or BB web pages- has anyone seen one of these sets in a B&M store? I imagine that the salesmen there would know and be more willing to divulge the big secret.
post #8 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

As Benjamin Franklin said, "Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead."

Interesting that HP wants to try to keep the supplier of their new plasma line a secret. When it was discovered that the HP Pavillion PL5000N was really a rebadged Panasonic 50PX-500U, that probably helped HP sales! Makes me wonder if they are using a lower grade supplier for the new model, and that's why the change. To me, the new HPs look a lot like the Panasonic non-Elite model, at least from pictures I have seen, except that it does not have an outboard media box.

Randy, re the remote control codes, I use either the remote that came with my receiver, Arcam, or a HMT MX-500 universal, both can learn codes from any remote, so the HP idiosyncratic codes are not an issue for me.

Hap
post #9 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I work at BB and we are supposed to get the new HP plasmas and LCDs around mid-April. If the suppliers haven't been divulged yet, I'll be sure to update the forums...
post #10 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, provenflipper. I will be very interested to see how it compares to the Pioneer PDP5060HD, and I know BB carries both models. The Pioneer 50" is about $4k at BB; the HP list on their net site is only $3k. Pretty big difference.

Did some more research. The HP model designation for their 50" set is: HP PL5060N. Could just be a coincidence. The Pioneer has the separate video receiver box, but the HP's tuners, connections appear to be built in and there is only one antenna input.

My bet is that Pioneer is the new supplier, and that this new HP derives from a Pioneer PDP5060HD, but is a cheaper version with fewer features.
post #11 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, I just hit 5 posts so I can do a link now. Here's the link to the HP net site:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...ABA&catLevel=2
post #12 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 12:36 PM

Should I get the pl5000n or the pl5060n? I am dismayed that there is no cablecard in the 5060.
post #13 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 12:45 PM

Just returned from Best Buy- no new HPs in stock there but they are taking orders and expect to have them in by mid-month. The salesman thought it was a Samsung panel, a new one that's just being released. Anyone with knowledge on the Samsung lineup who could verify?
post #14 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Does anybody know which plasma manufactures supply all of their own components?
post #15 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 12:49 PM

I believe they are made by Panasonic...
post #16 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 02:00 PM

It would be nice if it were still Panny
HP will be releasing a new line of MediaTv's mid August, so perhaps it could still be Panny. I'm just glad it's going to be at Best buy (convenient)

Does anyone think it might be the same company that makes the HP Microdisplay TV's?
post #17 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Generally most manufacturers aren't going to tell you who makes their products if in fact they are getting them from somewhere and just cosmetically changing them. Just to give an example, if the panels were made by Pioneer and they readily let that be known and came in far below Pioneer's 50" price point, alot of Pioneers sales would be lost.

One thing we do know is that you can pretty much guarantee it isn't a Pioneer nor Panasonic. Unless they are simply buying the glass from them and getting the parts elsewhere.
post #18 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

As an HP dealer, I can tell you they are made by LG. The Panasonic models were great, but Panasonic just couldn't supply enough of them for any of their OEM partners or for themselves for that matter.

Neil Kusens
President - TVAuthority
post #19 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltvauthority
As an HP dealer, I can tell you they are made by LG. The Panasonic models were great, but Panasonic just couldn't supply enough of them for any of their OEM partners or for themselves for that matter.
Thanks for the info! I haven't kept myself up to date regarding LG, I wonder how good their panels are regarded in the industry. Also, the initial press release stated that they had "over a billion colors" and I remember seeing a post stating the levels of gradation were a mere +/- 1024 which seems fairly poor in comparison to almost all PDPs. I hope they just messed up on the press release.
post #20 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 02:51 PM

Thanks Neil!

Looks like these could be the LG 42PC3D and 50PC3D, time to start digging on those. HP's prices are certainlly attractive
post #21 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 03:11 PM

Neil, you're AWESOME! Now how good are these LG's?
post #22 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Didn't think this was a "secret" that HP would be able to keep. Thanks, Neil. What HP needs to understand is that people plunking down a decent amount of $ for a plasma will want to know the provenance of the set. If, as with the Panasonic heritage, the LG sets on which the new HPs are based are also well reviewed, that will only help HP sales. My 2 cents anyway.

So, does anybody have any experience with the LG sets the HPs are based on?

Hap
post #23 of 65 Old 04-06-2006, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
According the the HP PL4260n owners guide, in the trouble shooting section...

"When you want to program a universal remote control to operate your HP TV, if HP is not listed in the supported brand codes, use a Philips TV code. The HP remote control transmits Philips-licensed remote control codes."

lowbar
post #24 of 65 Old 04-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

To be perfectly honest, the thing I'm most disappointed with on the new line-up is the design. It's a boring, me-too, design with the dumbo ear-speakers on the side.

They went from an outstanding Panasonic-esque design to a bring-down-the-cost to compete at BestBuy design. It'll probably work for the average consumer, but I personally think their are better choices in bezel design for similiar price points coming up.

Neil Kusens
President - TVAuthority
post #25 of 65 Old 04-07-2006, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Neil, agree on the design, esp. the dumbo ears, but I do like the glossy black finish, similar to what HP had last year and what Pioneer Elite has now. I would consider overlooking the "ears" if the performance of the HP/LG was truly outstanding. Any thoughts on that?
post #26 of 65 Old 04-07-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltvauthority
To be perfectly honest, the thing I'm most disappointed with on the new line-up is the design. It's a boring, me-too, design with the dumbo ear-speakers on the side.

They went from an outstanding Panasonic-esque design to a bring-down-the-cost to compete at BestBuy design. It'll probably work for the average consumer, but I personally think their are better choices in bezel design for similiar price points coming up.
Any chance those speakers are detachable, maybe with the help of a screwdriver?

Hopefully some of the B&M stores have those new LG models out for display, though with settings etc. it's pretty hard to come out of a CC and declare a set good or bad.
post #27 of 65 Old 04-07-2006, 10:45 AM

Dumbos are removable per the HP shopping site. But yeah. I second the "Neil, how do you think the picture looks compared to say the Panny or Pioneer?"
post #28 of 65 Old 04-07-2006, 11:15 AM

as another BB employee, I can tell you from playing around with the new LGs, they are awesome TV especially for the price. Sitting next to the other 42" plasmas(all untuned), I'd rank the LG second behind the Pioneer(non-Elite) model. The 60U Panasonic isnt bad but the LG has a slightly sharper picture on facial detail. I've got both sets setup exactly the same and the LG is cleaner...not by a huge amount but enough to notice on some displays...I hope to try a upconverting dvd player today on it. Then, there's the price difference...we're talking $1800 cheaper than the Pioneer and $500-700 less than the other 42s.

Now, that being said I cant wait to see the new HPs...im sure they'll be competively priced and offer a great picture. As with the other BBs, we expect to receive them mid April. About the same time the new Samsungs will be arriving. We already have the new Panasonic, LG, and Maxent plasmas. Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, HP, and Toshiba are all thats left
post #29 of 65 Old 04-07-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bout350racing
as another BB employee, I can tell you from playing around with the new LGs, they are awesome TV especially for the price. Sitting next to the other 42" plasmas(all untuned), I'd rank the LG second behind the Pioneer(non-Elite) model. The 60U Panasonic isnt bad but the LG has a slightly sharper picture on facial detail. I've got both sets setup exactly the same and the LG is cleaner...not by a huge amount but enough to notice on some displays...I hope to try a upconverting dvd player today on it. Then, there's the price difference...we're talking $1800 cheaper than the Pioneer and $500-700 less than the other 42s.

Now, that being said I cant wait to see the new HPs...im sure they'll be competively priced and offer a great picture. As with the other BBs, we expect to receive them mid April. About the same time the new Samsungs will be arriving. We already have the new Panasonic, LG, and Maxent plasmas. Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, HP, and Toshiba are all thats left
------------------

WAS: HP = Invent
TODAY: HP = Rebadge
post #30 of 65 Old 04-07-2006, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
To bring some clarity to an earlier question/answer: Sharp panels are only used for the HP LCDs.

I'm not sure who makes the plasmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page