OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 511 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5006Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #15301 of 15904 Old 12-21-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,722
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Most likely HDMI 2.1 features but HDMI 2.0b hardware (eARC, VRR) for 4K displays and actual HDMI 2.1 hardware for 8K displays, thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like HDMI.org is behind the schedule it published last year for certifying, testing, etc.

It's too bad CE didn't dumb HDMI for DP.
wco81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15302 of 15904 Old 12-29-2018, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 325
ALMA is offline  
post #15303 of 15904 Old 12-29-2018, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 16,335
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Oh boy, another new technology. I wonder whats going to be wrong with this one? Gotta love the 13 page "Cross reference" at the end of that .pdf.

.
.
Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??

Last edited by videobruce; 12-29-2018 at 04:52 AM.
videobruce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15304 of 15904 Old 12-29-2018, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
BlueChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I sense that some Korean company are desperate to find something to overthrown LG.
fafrd, videobruce and ChaosCloud like this.
BlueChris is offline  
post #15305 of 15904 Old 12-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Member
 
stl8k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Here's what looks like the Korean equivalent to Linus Sebastian at the same LG Display showroom Linus posted from a week or so ago:


My eyes don't detect any major differences in PQ between the 8K display shown here and what was shown at CES 2018. Anyone with more critical eyes able to spot differences?
stl8k is offline  
post #15306 of 15904 Old 12-29-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl8k View Post
Here's what looks like the Korean equivalent to Linus Sebastian at the same LG Display showroom Linus posted from a week or so ago:

https://youtu.be/BuT-5J3B5dI

My eyes don't detect any major differences in PQ between the 8K display shown here and what was shown at CES 2018. Anyone with more critical eyes able to spot differences?
Looking for PQ differences in a video like this vs some other video from last year will be pure guessing. I wouldn't even say it rises to the level of speculation.
dkfan9 is offline  
post #15307 of 15904 Old 12-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Member
 
stl8k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
Looking for PQ differences in a video like this vs some other video from last year will be pure guessing. I wouldn't even say it rises to the level of speculation.
Same content was being shown. Videos are high res. Thought a sophisticated person might for example be able to spot say a +10% brightness diff.
stl8k is offline  
post #15308 of 15904 Old 12-29-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 16,335
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
I sense that some Korean company are desperate to find something to overthrown LG.
Samsh*t is the one that needs to be overthrown!
Then they can take their "LED" TV fraudulent marketing lie with them!
ChaosCloud and video_analysis like this.

.
.
Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
videobruce is offline  
post #15309 of 15904 Old 12-29-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl8k View Post
Same content was being shown. Videos are high res. Thought a sophisticated person might for example be able to spot say a +10% brightness diff.
Different cameras alone would make it too potentially different to trust. Then add in different post software, different settings at any point in the chain, etc, and youre more likely to see those differences than small differences in the TVs.
dkfan9 is offline  
post #15310 of 15904 Old 01-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Member
 
stl8k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Nice 2019 prognostication by fafrd in this and other threads...

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1546474535

We should see other LG Display OLED licensees announcing similar products over the next few days.
stl8k is offline  
post #15311 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gorman42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
You need BFI, so a vanilla refresh rate of 192Hz would be needed to deliver 50% [email protected]

Or, if WOLEDs add a sevond blanking control (akin to the backlight strobe on a FALD LED/LCD), then a native refresh rate of 96Hz woukd suffice (since the blanking control doubles the effective refresh rate).

LG supported 120Hz in 2018, and LG supported BFI in 2018, but not together (50% BFI only at 60Hz).

Now tuat they are startibg to make noise about 'fully' supporting 120Hz refresh rates in 2019, I'll be interested to see whether that translates to support for 50% [email protected] (meaning an effective refresh rate of 240Hz)...
Ok, so now LG has announced they'll be doing "an upgraded black frame insertion system called ’OLED Motion Pro’ that now operates at 100/120Hz (compared to 50/60Hz last year) and with shorter black frame cycle (25% vs. 50% last year)." (source), what does this mean for 24fps material? No more 3:2 forced cadence I hope and... more brightness and better motion? More brightness and worse motion?
Thanks in advance.


Also paging @Mark Rejhon that here and in previous posts mentioned that with VRR it would be possible to get great 24fps motion reproduction on current OLEDs. Now VRR will be present in 2019 models, with the above mentioned BFI functionality. Does this change anything? Say on an HTPC with an AMD GPU (VRR compatible), for instance.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox

Last edited by gorman42; 01-03-2019 at 08:57 AM.
gorman42 is offline  
post #15312 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 3,489
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Sounds like another idiotic move from the TV industry (Sony did the same thing on their top LCDs in 2018). 120Hz BFI is worthless. It actually adds blur instead of removing it when all your sources are 60Hz or less. You just get image duplication/ghosting. I guess it will never sink in that flicker is not something that needs "fixing". The image is supposed to flicker if it's going to offer any improved motion resolution without resorting to interpolation artifacts.

What they really needed to offer is a mode where flicker stays at 60Hz but the duty cycle (and persistence) of the visible image is reduced from 8ms to 4ms compared to the 2018 models. That would have required a corresponding increase in brightness but you're not going to get that from the same old 2018 panel.
Wizziwig is offline  
post #15313 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NintendoManiac64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,009
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 455
TBH, I think the main issue is that the current implementation of BFI on 2018 OLEDs results in even 120Hz video signals essentially being truncated to 60fps.
NintendoManiac64 is offline  
post #15314 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 3,489
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
What 120Hz video signals? 99.9% of people are watching sources at 60Hz or less. I just want to see CRT-level motion resolution on a TV again in my lifetime.
Wizziwig is offline  
post #15315 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Sounds like another idiotic move from the TV industry (Sony did the same thing on their top LCDs in 2018). 120Hz BFI is worthless. It actually adds blur instead of removing it when all your sources are 60Hz or less. You just get image duplication/ghosting. I guess it will never sink in that flicker is not something that needs "fixing". The image is supposed to flicker if it's going to offer any improved motion resolution without resorting to interpolation artifacts.

What they really needed to offer is a mode where flicker stays at 60Hz but the duty cycle (and persistence) of the visible image is reduced from 8ms to 4ms compared to the 2018 models. That would have required a corresponding increase in brightness but you're not going to get that from the same old 2018 panel.
I think you've got it wrong but we'll need to wait to see what the actual specs and performance measures are.

To me, it seems as though LGs partnership with NHK is paying real dividends in terms of a renewed focus on motion performance. Here is a repeat of a post I just added to the LG HDMI 2.1 prediction thread:

The wording is vague enough that we're going to need to wait for first owners to report on what actual options are supported to have any real insight into how the 'OLED Motion Pro' has been implemented, but it almost-certainly represents a significant upgrade to the backpkane.

I can concieve of three obvious options:

1/ Double native backplane refresh speed from 120Hz to 240Hz. A backplane that is fast-enough to refresh [email protected] will also be able to refresh [email protected], so if the 8K WOLED supports 120Hz refresh, this might be the 'easiest' option.

A backplane with 240Hz native refresh rate would support 50% BFI @ 120Hz and would also support 25% BFI @ 60Hz, but cannot support 25% BFI @ 120Hz, so we'll need to wait to see what LG's reference to BFI at '120Hz and with shorter black frame cycle (25% vs. 50% of last year)' translates to to understand whether this 'simple' solution could be involved or not.

2/ Addition of a seperate 'blanking' control to the backplane (as Mark Rejhorn and I have discussed several times over the past 2 years). This involves the addition of another transistor within each subpixel, so it is a more significant (and more expensive, in terms of additional yield loss) solution, but this option would support 25% BFI @ 120Hz and does not require 'speeding up' the backplane to a native refresh rate of 240Hz, so if 25% BFI @ 120Hz is supprted but the 8K WOLED only supports 60fps (and not a full [email protected] refresh), this may be how it's been done.

3/ A backplane that supports [email protected] native refresh rate is capable of writing one row of pixels every 1/259,200th of a second (259.1kHz row write speed), and if the backplane has been modified to support row-write speeds that are twice as fast (518.4kHz), this write speed would be needed to support [email protected] refresh but can also be used to support 25% BFI @ 120Hz with 4K content if it is designed to support a refresh architecture more sophisticated than the simple 'full-frame-refresh described in option 1.

By alternating between the write of one line of the new frame and writing to black (blanking) another line of the old frame, 120Hz BFI of 25%, 50%, 75%, or theoretically almost any % could be supported.

This would also be the easiest way to support VRR, since a framerate of any integer divisor of 518.4kHz could be supported.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is what LG has implemented: increase line write speed to 518.4KHz and use it in a way that is not possible for scanning-backlight LED/LCD (line-granurality blanking rather than backlight segment-granularity blanking).

In terms of the earlier posts on 25% BFI, it is correct that 25% BFI is less effective than 50% BFI (50% more persistance and persistance-based motion blur) but the hope and expectation is that any BFI solution supporting 25% BFI also supports 75% BFI, and 75% BFI has half the perisitance of 50% BFI.

The light loss associated with 75% BFI will be twice that of 50% BFI (so 1/4 brighess instead of 1/2 brightness) but I'm also hoping that LG will eventually figure out that BFI means they can use the full HDR peak brightness levels for SDR content without any impact on aging/lifetime.

1ms @ 600 cd/m2 ages (and generates heat) exactly the same as 4ms @ 150cd/m2, so there is absolutely no reason for engagement of BFI when viewing SDR content to result in and noticable decrease in brightness.

If LG has implemented 'OLED Motion Pro' in a manner that supports 75% BFI without sacrificing brighness, the result will be a decrease in persistance from 8.3ms to 2.1ms at brightness levels of at least 150cd/m2 peak and possibly as high as 250cd/m2 peak (1/4 of 1000cd/m2). 2.1ms is getting close to plasma-like persistance levels of 1.7ms...

We'll need to wait for all the specs to be fully announced and tested, but it's looking to me as though 2019 may prove to be the year LG finally had the confidence to step to the front and start leading the industry...
fafrd is offline  
post #15316 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4771
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
Ok, so now LG has announced they'll be doing "an upgraded black frame insertion system called ’OLED Motion Pro’ that now operates at 100/120Hz (compared to 50/60Hz last year) and with shorter black frame cycle (25% vs. 50% last year)." (source), what does this mean for 24fps material? No more 3:2 forced cadence I hope and... more brightness and better motion? More brightness and worse motion?
Thanks in advance.
I don't have a 2018 WOLED, but if I understand correctly, your reference to 3:2 forced cadence implies 24fps content was translated to 3:[email protected] and then 50% BFI was applied to that.

As a minimum, I think we can be sure from what LG has released yesterday that the 2018 WOLEDs will support 50% BFI @ 120Hz, meaning 24fps content can be displayed with 50% BFI without involving 3:2. Of course, without engaging motion interpolation, 24fps @ 120Hz w/ 50% BFI only reduces persistance by 10% (from 41.7ms to 37.5ms) so it's not going to deliver much in the way of any noticable improvement...

Quote:
Also paging @Mark Rejhon that here and in previous posts mentioned that with VRR it would be possible to get great 24fps motion reproduction on current OLEDs. Now VRR will be present in 2019 models, with the above mentioned BFI functionality. Does this change anything? Say on an HTPC with an AMD GPU (VRR compatible), for instance.
Mark is far more of an expert than me on the od film projectors, but if I remember correctly, he stated that projectors either had 2 shutters or 3, translating the native refresh rates 48Hz or 72Hz, which means effective native refresh rates of 96 or 144Hz when the blanking interval is taken into consideration.

If the blanking intervals and frame flash intervals are of equal duration, this should mean that the 2018 WOLEDs could at least support 24fps thranslated to 96Hz dual-shutter mode. If the blanking intervals are shorter than the frame flash intervals, that is not going to be supported through HDMI and would need support through the native panel control (as I just touched on in my earlier post - the panel have been changed in a way tat supports any BFI% at any feamerate...).
fafrd is offline  
post #15317 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 3,489
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
That's a lot of "ifs". Based on how poorly the TV industry has handled motion resolution on their TVs (actually regressing in many cases), I'm not holding my breath. Especially when it comes to LG who doesn't have the best track record of caring about the issue - it took 5 years for them to even add basic BFI (only after Panasonic and Sony beat them to it).

I do agree that it sounds like they upgraded their TCON to handle higher panel refresh rates. But they could also have just divided the panel into multiple TCONs as many of the LCDs do. If they're willing to demonstrate "Motion Pro" feature at CES, I will try to record some 1000 fps video to see what's actually going on.
Wizziwig is offline  
post #15318 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4771
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
TBH, I think the main issue is that the current implementation of BFI on 2018 OLEDs results in even 120Hz video signals essentially being truncated to 60fps.
No, the main deficit of LGs 2018 BFI was that it only functioned at 60Hz, meaning unbearable flicker for many and persistance of 8.3ms in the best case.

We'll need to wait to see the actial specs on the 2019 WOLEDs, but as a minimum, they shoukd support BFI @ 120Hz, meaning less noticable flicker for those sensitive to it.

The reference to 'black frame cycle of 25% compared to 50% of last year' is odd, but hopefully translates to support of at least 50% BFI @ 120Hz (meaning persistance of 4.2ms) and possibly support for 75% BFI @ 120Hz (meaning persistance of 2.1ms).

Icing on the cake will be if LG maintains brightness when BFI is engaged - there is absolutely no reason to lose brightness when engaging BFI on SDR content with a WOLED...
fafrd is offline  
post #15319 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
That's a lot of "ifs". Based on how poorly the TV industry has handled motion resolution on their TVs (actually regressing in many cases), I'm not holding my breath. Especially when it comes to LG who doesn't have the best track record of caring about the issue - it took 5 years for them to even add basic BFI (only after Panasonic and Sony beat them to it).

I do agree that it sounds like they upgraded their TCON to handle higher panel refresh rates. But they could also have just divided the panel into multiple TCONs as many of the LCDs do. If they're willing to demonstrate "Motion Pro" feature at CES, I will try to record some 1000 fps video to see what's actually going on.
That would be fantastic.

And when it comes to LG's track record on motion, I'm in total agreement but am hoping that the partnership they have announced with NHK represents a catalyst for a different direction.

NHK has a clear focus on motion performance and a keen understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of both OLED and LCD...
fafrd is offline  
post #15320 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 02:14 PM
Member
 
stl8k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I think you've got it wrong but we'll need to wait to see what the actual specs and performance measures are.

To me, it seems as though LGs partnership with NHK is paying real dividends in terms of a renewed focus on motion performance. Here is a repeat of a post I just added to the LG HDMI 2.1 prediction thread:

The wording is vague enough that we're going to need to wait for first owners to report on what actual options are supported to have any real insight into how the 'OLED Motion Pro' has been implemented, but it almost-certainly represents a significant upgrade to the backpkane.

I can concieve of three obvious options:

1/ Double native backplane refresh speed from 120Hz to 240Hz. A backplane that is fast-enough to refresh [email protected] will also be able to refresh [email protected], so if the 8K WOLED supports 120Hz refresh, this might be the 'easiest' option.

A backplane with 240Hz native refresh rate would support 50% BFI @ 120Hz and would also support 25% BFI @ 60Hz, but cannot support 25% BFI @ 120Hz, so we'll need to wait to see what LG's reference to BFI at '120Hz and with shorter black frame cycle (25% vs. 50% of last year)' translates to to understand whether this 'simple' solution could be involved or not.

2/ Addition of a seperate 'blanking' control to the backplane (as Mark Rejhorn and I have discussed several times over the past 2 years). This involves the addition of another transistor within each subpixel, so it is a more significant (and more expensive, in terms of additional yield loss) solution, but this option would support 25% BFI @ 120Hz and does not require 'speeding up' the backplane to a native refresh rate of 240Hz, so if 25% BFI @ 120Hz is supprted but the 8K WOLED only supports 60fps (and not a full [email protected] refresh), this may be how it's been done.

3/ A backplane that supports [email protected] native refresh rate is capable of writing one row of pixels every 1/259,200th of a second (259.1kHz row write speed), and if the backplane has been modified to support row-write speeds that are twice as fast (518.4kHz), this write speed would be needed to support [email protected] refresh but can also be used to support 25% BFI @ 120Hz with 4K content if it is designed to support a refresh architecture more sophisticated than the simple 'full-frame-refresh described in option 1.

By alternating between the write of one line of the new frame and writing to black (blanking) another line of the old frame, 120Hz BFI of 25%, 50%, 75%, or theoretically almost any % could be supported.

This would also be the easiest way to support VRR, since a framerate of any integer divisor of 518.4kHz could be supported.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is what LG has implemented: increase line write speed to 518.4KHz and use it in a way that is not possible for scanning-backlight LED/LCD (line-granurality blanking rather than backlight segment-granularity blanking).

In terms of the earlier posts on 25% BFI, it is correct that 25% BFI is less effective than 50% BFI (50% more persistance and persistance-based motion blur) but the hope and expectation is that any BFI solution supporting 25% BFI also supports 75% BFI, and 75% BFI has half the perisitance of 50% BFI.

The light loss associated with 75% BFI will be twice that of 50% BFI (so 1/4 brighess instead of 1/2 brightness) but I'm also hoping that LG will eventually figure out that BFI means they can use the full HDR peak brightness levels for SDR content without any impact on aging/lifetime.

1ms @ 600 cd/m2 ages (and generates heat) exactly the same as 4ms @ 150cd/m2, so there is absolutely no reason for engagement of BFI when viewing SDR content to result in and noticable decrease in brightness.

If LG has implemented 'OLED Motion Pro' in a manner that supports 75% BFI without sacrificing brighness, the result will be a decrease in persistance from 8.3ms to 2.1ms at brightness levels of at least 150cd/m2 peak and possibly as high as 250cd/m2 peak (1/4 of 1000cd/m2). 2.1ms is getting close to plasma-like persistance levels of 1.7ms...

We'll need to wait for all the specs to be fully announced and tested, but it's looking to me as though 2019 may prove to be the year LG finally had the confidence to step to the front and start leading the industry...
Great analysis, fafrd. Much appreciated.
stl8k is offline  
post #15321 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
circumstances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Any official Sony announcements regarding their 2019 OLED offerings?
circumstances is offline  
post #15322 of 15904 Old 01-03-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
Not currently; the future is when televisions have enough hertz (e.g. 240Hz), the responsibility of precision BFI algorithms can be doffed to the source instead instead of the display (e.g. a home theater device that generates the BFI patterns) -- I already have experimental software that does this (inquire within) via precision manipulation of variable refresh cycles and other tricks. I might be able to begin selling it if there's enough demand, once displays have a refresh rate range that's compatible with reproducing the original rolling shutter.

Also, BFI to DLP can be very iffy. It can reduce bit depth, because colors are temporally generated, and BFI at 50% halves the number of bits per refresh cycle, so you can get more banding/artifacts during BFI on a DLP. To compensate, one needs to run the pixels at twice the Hz, or use two DLP chips per color channel (6 DLP chips instead of 3) to get the same color quality and brightness as non-BFI operation.
Well Mark, with LG's recently-announced 2019 WOLEDs supporting 120Hz HDMI w/ VRR and BFI (probably 50%) on top of that (meaning a 240Hz effective refresh rate), it might soon be time to understand what your 'experimental software' can do and whether you're looking for beta testers .

If I understand correctly, software can transform a 24fps source into a 96fps double-shutter stream to be fed through HDMI 2.1 with support for VRR - will your experimental software do this conversion?

Still an unknown whether LG's VRR solution means it will display a 96fps stream at a native 96Hz rate, but if so, that should deliver a 'cinema quality' double-shutter presentation similar to what projectors of old presented, no (at 50% blanking interval)?

And no idea whether LGs 2019 WOLEDs will support BFI on top of VRR, but if so, that would allow persistance to be reduced from 31.25ms (accounting for the frame repeat) to 26.0ms with a 75% blanking interval (probably at the expense of reduced light output and possibly also increased flicker). No idea whether this might 'better' or not.

Would be interested in your thoughts as to what your homemade software could do with LGs 2019 WOLEDs...
stl8k likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #15323 of 15904 Old 01-04-2019, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gorman42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Well Mark, with LG's recently-announced 2019 WOLEDs supporting 120Hz HDMI w/ VRR and BFI (probably 50%) on top of that (meaning a 240Hz effective refresh rate), it might soon be time to understand what your 'experimental software' can do and whether you're looking for beta testers
[cut]

Would be interested in your thoughts as to what your homemade software could do with LGs 2019 WOLEDs...
Yup! This might be the time to share some details on what's on your mind, Mark.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
gorman42 is offline  
post #15324 of 15904 Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Member
 
stl8k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Could someone with Korean language skills explain what this person is referring to when comparing Phillips and LG OLED?

https://twitter.com/isotoxin390/stat...29499795423232

------------
KJ

iSotoxin390
Jan 3

일단 내가 이해하고 있는 2019년형

1. 패널 구조는 필립스 방식을 채용 (작년 엘지 제품들은 63% 레드가 커졌고 필립스는 100% 더 커졌고 캘리 기준 880 cd/m2)

2. 인풋래그는 1080/4k 모두 13ms (VRR로 추가 개선 가능성 존재)

3. 트루 HDMI 2.1 (4k 120hz)

4. 120hz 입력 BFI (240hz TCON?)

Translated from Korean by Microsoft
Once I understand the 2019 type 1. The panel structure was adopted by Philips (last year's Elg products were 63% red, Philips was 100% bigger, and the Calley standard 880 CD/m2)
stl8k is offline  
post #15325 of 15904 Old 01-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl8k View Post
Once I understand the 2019 type 1. The panel structure was adopted by Philips (last year's Elg products were 63% red, Philips was 100% bigger, and the Calley standard 880 CD/m2)
So , all the 2019 OLED will have the same panel as the 55OLED803 from Philips ?




The 63% and 100% numbers make sense : ( it's 65% and 103% in my chart )


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	donnees_pixels_oled_tiers.png
Views:	401
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	2506386  
stl8k likes this.
bombyx is offline  
post #15326 of 15904 Old 01-05-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4771
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombyx View Post
So , all the 2019 OLED will have the same panel as the 55OLED803 from Philips ?




The 63% and 100% numbers make sense : ( it's 65% and 103% in my chart )


If Philips was a later 2018 launch, this makes alot of sense.

This is good news. It translates to 103% slower aging of red compared to the 2016/17 WOLEDs and 24% slower aging of red compared to the 2018 WOLEDs (which makes sense because red proved to be the most vulnerable color to burn-in, in both 2016 and 2017).

Green was the second-most vulnerable color to burn-in in 2016 and 2017 and this 2019 subpixel layout corresponds to 25% slower aging of green compared to 2016 (and 34% faster aging of green compared to 2018 WOLEDs).

And Blue and White, which have been the colors least susceptible to burn-in, will age 12% and 13% faster than they did in 2016/17 (respectively).

Perhaps we can call this further reinforcement of red the 'CNN effect' .
bombyx likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #15327 of 15904 Old 01-06-2019, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 325
LG Display showing 65" 8K OLED at CES. First prototype with top emission?


https://www.oled-info.com/lg-display...oleds-ces-2019



Also very interesting:


Quote:
LG Display will also showcase its new 65-inch UHD crystal motion OLED, which achieves the fastest response speed of 3.5m / s among existing TV panels at this year's exhibition. It is an explanation that sports and action cinema realize real feeling image without attraction.

https://translate.google.com/transla...20190106091903
shyguy3763, stl8k and bombyx like this.

Last edited by ALMA; 01-06-2019 at 02:18 AM.
ALMA is offline  
post #15328 of 15904 Old 01-06-2019, 06:21 AM
Member
 
mreendoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
INT Tech unveils its ultra-high density OLED display technology

Taiwan-based INT Tech unveiled its proprietary glass-based high pixel density OLED technology, that enables the production of over 2,200 PPI displays on glass


This technology can compete with OLED microdisplays (Silicon based) for high-end VR solutions for 2 merits: they can be larger than silicon-based OLED microdisplays to achieve higher FOV, and they are at a much lower cost.


We now have 161 patent applications and 50-some have already been granted


INT’s UHPD platform is a proprietary glass-based RGB AMOLED display that delivers a leap forward in pixel density (> 2200 PPI) — and achieves 4K resolution.


Compared to silicon-based sensors, glass- or flexible substrate-based sensors can be developed in flat-panel fabs and manufactured at much lower cost, according to INT


Chu Our head count is 46 people,” Chu says. “I used to lead companies with tens of thousands of employees. I lost interest in scale. I like to think these 46 people can deliver the results of hundreds of people


https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1334142
mreendoor is offline  
post #15329 of 15904 Old 01-06-2019, 09:12 AM
Member
 
stl8k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
LG Display R&D Highlights

It's always interesting to see what LG Display feels like are its most important R&D projects. I've excerpted from their latest 6-K (link below) for 2017 and 2018.

I'd be interested to hear analysis of this from 2017:

"(10) Developed the world’s first 65-inch UHD OLED television product utilizing GIP
• Strengthened product competitiveness through application of the world’s first oxide based UHD GIP technology"

https://fintel.io/doc/sec/1290109/00...d601780d6k.htm

-----------

Achievements in 2017



(1)
Developed 5.7-inch QHD+ full vision display (LG Electronics)




Developed a full vision display smartphone product (G6) through strategic collaboration with other LG Group companies




Applied first 18:9 screen aspect ratio with 4-corner round display



(2)
Developed mobile LTPS 30Hz product (SH 5.1-inch FHD)




Secured 30Hz low-frequency drive technology based on LTPS TFT-LCD




Reduced logic power consumption through 30Hz low-frequency drive (reduced from 96mW to 69mW on 5.1-inch FHD)



(3)
Developed and released the world’s first Crystal Sound OLED, or CSO, television product




Released product with a new platform concept through development of OLED panel product with integrated speakers




Delivered OLED television product that achieves differentiated value not only in picture quality and design, but also sound quality



(4)
Developed notebook oxide product (13.9-inch, Ultra HD)




Achieved high definition/narrow bezel product through application of oxide BCE GIP technology




Delivered low power consumption product through application of low refresh rate, or LRR, technology



(5)
Developed medical monitor product for surgical endoscope (27.0-inch, Ultra HD)




Newly entered the medical devices market through development and production of medical monitor product for surgical endoscope



17

Table of Contents

Achieved high definition (3,840 x 2,160), high luminance (800 nit) and high contrast ratio (1,300:1)




Implemented coverglass direct bonding applying our own manufacturing processes (M6 line)



(6)
Developed the world’s first four-side borderless monitor with a resolution of 8K4K (31.5-inch 8K4K oxide)




Pioneered Ultra HD Premium MNT market through development of the world’s first four-side borderless monitor with a resolution of 8K4K




Delivered Ultra HD based on oxide GIP (280 PPI with a resolution of 7680x4320)




Delivered wide color gamut (Adobe RGB 100%/DCI 98%), four-side borderless



(7)
Developed the world’s largest automotive Center Information Display (“CID”) product (15.4-inch Widescreen Ultra Extended Graphics Array (“WUXGA”))




Developed the world’s largest auto component display in the automotive industry




Guaranteed the first 1000hr reliability in the automotive industry



(8)
Developed the world’s first 88-inch Ultra Stretch display product




Strengthened competitiveness through application of smart (digital) stepper



(9)
Developed products utilizing U-IPS (75-inch/65-inch/55-inch/49-inch, Ultra HD)




Utilized U-IPS technology to strengthen product competitiveness by improving panel transmittance rate and reflectivity



(10)
Developed the world’s first 65-inch UHD OLED television product utilizing GIP




Strengthened product competitiveness through application of the world’s first oxide based UHD GIP technology

Achievements in 2018



(1)
Developed the world’s first glass-integrated LCD television product (Art Glass Series)




Achieved LCD modular appearance and simplicity in design by using glass material throughout product (including the panel, light guide plate and back cover)




Strengthened competitiveness of frameless design by decreasing bezel size from 7.8mm to 5.9mm



(2)
Developed our first 5.8-inch Ultra HD Mobile 4K product




Developed our first Ultra HD mobile product




Achieved high luminance, low power consumption and HD resolution by applying Ultra HD RGBW (M+) pixel structure



(3)
Developed the world’s first 5.8-inch mobile FHD product applying M+




Our first product applying camera notch concept technology



(4)
Developed the world’s first four-side borderless curved monitor with 1900R curvature radius




Our first product applying glass 0.25T (etching) bezel printing/reverse bonding process technology




Strengthened product competitiveness with our first shared design applying three-side/four-side borderless TFT Mask




Achieved high-speed driving at 144Hz, high color recall (DCI 98%) and HDR (peak luminance 550nit)



(5)
Developed the world’s first 34-inch large-screen monitor/high-resolution four-sided borderless HDR




Pioneered HD Premium 21:9 monitor market through development of the world’s first WUHD(5K2K), four-side borderless monitor




Delivered Ultra HD (DCI 98Z%, sRGB 135%) by applying Adv. KSF LED PKG technology




Achieved high luminance (HDR 600); typ. 450 nit, maximum 600nit



(6)
Developed LGD 6.01QHD+M+ Full Screen Display (LG Electronics)




Developed a full screen display concept smartphone product (G7) through strategic collaboration with other LG Group companies




Implemented a full screen display product concept through achievement of our first 19.5:9 screen aspect ratio and lower bezel of 2.7mm



(7)
Developed the world’s narrowest bezel videowall product (0.44mm bezel, 55-inch FHD)



18

Table of Contents

Achieved product competitiveness by developing the world’s narrowest bezel (originally 0.9mm g 0.44mm, Even Bezel)



(8)
Developed the world’s first automotive glassless 3D cluster product




Developed FHD glassless barrier type 3D model (12.3 inches, 167 ppi level)




Achieved customers’ eye-tracking movement by applying a top moving barrier panel at the top of the panel




Improved adhesion accuracy of image panel and barrier panel by using OCA bonding technology




Improved barrier contrast ratio by applying a copper-based metal barrier panel
stl8k is offline  
post #15330 of 15904 Old 01-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Member
 
stl8k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post
LG Display showing 65" 8K OLED at CES. First prototype with top emission?


https://www.oled-info.com/lg-display...oleds-ces-2019



Also very interesting:





https://translate.google.com/transla...20190106091903
Will be a really fun CES!

Would think a macro shot of the pixels would be definitive of TEOLED or other major change in the emission architecture.

The only reference I see (via Google Search) from LGD about a 3.5ms OLED response time is from way back in 2009 talking about R&D work that resulted in 3.5ms GTG.
stl8k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lg , Oled Tv , oled wireless speakers , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off