Help give me some advise, I need it. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at getting a 50-52" Plasma or LCD in my living room. Some pictures of were it will go.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Picture002.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Picture001.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Picture003.jpg
Problem:
1. 36" width opening above my fireplace for a SDTV tube TV. Depth about
35".
2. Day Light - A lot of sunlight - but most tv watched at night. Kids do watch tv on it during the day but not a ton. Windows are north behind the tv and large windows on east wall as pictured.
Solution:
1. Hiring a carpenter to close off area and mount future tv.
2. Day light - ?

Question is if I get a Plasma will I be kicking myself.

TV viewing will be 60% Direct HDTV & SDTV, 25% DVD, 15% Gaming. Most of my viewing is sports & primetime tv. Kids watch movies during day and SDTV kid shows. Viewing from back is 12-13 ft away from tv and from sides about 7 ft.

Will sunlight ruin a screen? Dumb question but I got to ask. The room is quite dark at night, very little lighting used. Debating between a plasma or lcd. Probably will get 1080p, if lcd may get 120hz instead of 60. Colors and black levels are important to me. Also important to me is that the image won't blur if I'm watching a football game as the players sprint down the field or action movies fast. I also like action movies and am concerned with motion.

Looking at Samsung, Toshiba or Panasonic but not opposed to different brands if they have great picture quality.
Willing to pay $3000 but would like to be under it if I could since I will be adding HD-DVR and of course the mount. With Plasma can definately do, not with lcd if 1080p.

Any help, thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Plasma would be fine, but I don't think a 1080p set is necessary from your seating distance.

Personally I'd recommend a Pioneer Kuro 5080. Should come in well under your budget with the recent price cuts. Incredible looking set, widely considered to be the best TV ever made.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 AM

I agree with chris. At your viewing distance, the extra detail provided by a 1080p set won't benefit you all that much.

Since you let in a lot of light during the day, you might want to check out the following for their good glare reduction properties:

Sony KDL-52XBR4 LCD TV
Panasonic TH-50PZ77U (1080p) or TH-50PX77U (768p) Plasma TV

If you want the best black levels and thus the best color saturation, check out the new Pioneer plasmas. The contrast is excellent and they do have some antiglare properties.

Pioneer PDP-5080HD 768p plasma
Pioneer PDP-5010HD 1080p plasma

For even better picture quality (and thus more money) check out Pioneer's Elite line.

Pioneer PRO-1150HD 768p plasma
Pioneer PRO-110HD 1080p plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2008, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Really going to consider buying the Panasonic TH-50PX75U or the Samsung HPT5054. I'm going today to "play" with them and look at them again and make a gut decision.
Panasonic TH-50PX75U $1599.00
Samsung HPT5054 $1399.00
Also am going to look at the Pioneer PDP-5080HD 768p plasma, price is reduced from 2499.99.

Tom.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-05-2008, 10:58 AM

When you compare them, make sure you get the remotes and take them out of their default picture settings. Put each of them in "movie", "cinema" or a similar picture mode. They're all great products so you'll be pleased with whatever you pick.

Happy hunting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page