Get Help Picking the Right DIY Sound Group Speakers. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #61 of 213 Old 11-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Possibly but would probably have to custom fab the box and get crafty with dealing with the drop ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 213 Old 11-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
If you need a center, that seems like a good idea. If you had the room, 1099s, or Cinema 10s flanking a 1099 center would provide a bit more effeciency. But the 893 will gladly do reference levels in that room so no sweat if size is king.

Size is the biggest factor as it would encroach on my screen area . I also want something not really bright. So i figured the 893 would suit me better than the 1099's
tuxedocivic likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR929, QSC GX5, Polk Audio RtiA9's, CsiA6, F/XiA6's, RtiA3's,PSA xs30se, Xbox 360, PS3, hopper w/Sling, Samsung 55" LED, All controlled with a Harmony One
post #63 of 213 Old 11-04-2015, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Room Info - Non-dedicated theater setup in an 20' x 20' section of my living room directly open to the kitchen, dining and office.

Current Speakers & Power - 5.1 setup with some cheap Infinity Primus 363s and 2 SI18s in marty style boxes tuned to 17hz. Denon X1000 AVR

Listening Preference/Usage - 99% movies with most of it being done at reasonable levels

Size Constraints - Im about to redo my setup with a small home built entertainment center between the two subs laying horizontally. I can fit up to a Fusion 15 for the L/R. Im thinking of going phantom center for now. The center can only be about 12-15" tall, width wont matter.

DIY Capabilities - No problem

Budget - I dont want to go crazy but can afford up to $400 per speaker (DIYSG kit, no flat pack)

Reason for Upgrade - Looking for more clarity and more midbass. I miss the punch feeling of midbass.

Future Plans - None

I was really debating 1099s vs Fusion 15. The brightness worries me as I dont have a projector screen. The Fusion 15 is a big speaker. I just read how great the Fusion 4 was and now Im wonder if I really need something that big and/or expensive. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 213 Old 11-04-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2224
Hi 8mpg,

I'd probably lean towards the Fusion 15 if you don't plan on a center channel and you don't like a bright speaker. You could eq them of course, but the Fusion 15 should cast a better phantom image due to it's size, so I'd go that way.

I'm not familiar with the Fusion 4.
post #65 of 213 Old 11-09-2015, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Room Info - Non-dedicated theater setup in an open floor plan directly open to the kitchen and dining room. 10' ceilings. ~7000ft^3 total

Current Speakers & Power - 5.1 setup with Def Tech studio monitor 450's (L/R) Def Tech C/L/R 2002 (center) and volt 6's as surrounds all powered by an Onkyo TX-NR616. SVS PB-1000 sub

Listening Preference/Usage - 99% movies. I enjoy the occasional loud movie, but generally levels are more moderate because of sleeping children etc. In the future I expect more movie nights so they need to be capable, but not necessarily reference.

Size Constraints - no limitations except the center channel needs to be less than 14" tall

DIY Capabilities - Can build my own boxes if need be but not against buying flat packs as a time saver

Budget - Budget is not a main factor but was looking to keep the total for everything under $2000

Reason for Upgrade - Looking for more clarity out of the center channel and more powerful sound all around. The volt 6's make the def techs sound boring

Future Plans - Will be upgrading the receiver in the next year or two to something beefier (pioneer elite has my eye right now)

I had originally planned on the Fusion 8 center and the fusion 8 tower or cinema 8 as L/R. Then the 893's came out and caught my interest as well. The sensitivity is lower but the three way design and the theoretically better center channel orientation may make up the difference. Cost is about $300 more for the 893's as well.

With either of the speaker choices, I assume the PB1000 is will be left in the dust. Was considering adding two of the new Flex-12's to the list to build as well as subwoofer replacements. I would run both of them off a single Inuke1000DSP. These would also serve as stands for whatever L/R speakers I choose. I like these because of the simplicity of the setup and price is right. My original plan was something similar to the 15" ported subs on DIYsoundgroup with the dayton HO drivers. Any idea how the two setups would compare?

Main questions are:

1. are the 893's that much better than the dual woofer fusion 8's to justify the additional $300?

2. are the flex-12's capable of keeping up with the DIY sound group speakers?

Thanks in advance!
post #66 of 213 Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked: 2631
I would say the extra $82 to go from the Cinema-8 to the 893 would be worth it if the lower sensitivity isn't a problem for you. But honestly, either one of those is going to work fine. If the 893 puts you over budget, then get the Cinema-8 and don't lose any sleep about your decision.

post #67 of 213 Old 11-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Hi 8mpg,

I'd probably lean towards the Fusion 15 if you don't plan on a center channel and you don't like a bright speaker. You could eq them of course, but the Fusion 15 should cast a better phantom image due to it's size, so I'd go that way.

I'm not familiar with the Fusion 4.
Thanks Tux... I finally ordered a pair today.
dorri732 likes this.
post #68 of 213 Old 11-13-2015, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Got my 2 Fusion 15's and 88 special today...over kill yes, regret buying....hell no!!!! Erich is a packing machine...these boxes could fall 10 stories and not be damaged lol....not kidding it took me 1.5 hrs to unpack and open up all the small packages.. The man does it right. kudos. Will start a thread but will take me awhile to build...not in a hurry and building my own boxes on the f15 to save money.
brian6751, ORIF, eng-399 and 1 others like this.
post #69 of 213 Old 11-21-2015, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What the various people here have done for audio is really amazing! Thanks to all the contributors!

Am ready to try something more efficient and better sound with a waveguide and pro woofer. Been looking at DIYSG for quite some time but now ready to go for it. Considering the Marksman/Fusion-8 to use in 2.1 setup. Current rig is Modula MT with a single 12" Shiva ported sub in 3cf box with 250W plate amp, mains driven by an older Yamaha 100WPC HTR. Room is 20x20x10 with tray ceiling and I sit 12' back from speakers, also have seating on L&R.

Would be used for music listening 90% of the time, 85 dB is a comfortable listening level.

The B&C 8BG51 woofer seems interesting - is a noticeable improvement over the Beta-8? I'm going for the best sound over saving a few $$.

About the tweeter, does the RS28A in SEOS-8 sound better than the DNA-205 in EOS-8? I don't see the DNA-205 available separately?

Have built a few sets of speakers including Modula MT, Speedster with a different tweeter, Overnight Sensations with different tweeter adjusting crossovers. Have msmt mic and REW, considered buying drivers, biamping and trying MiniDSP. Would like to do a flat pack if possible as I work 200+ miles from home and don't have a lot of time when I do get back on weekends.

If I am overthinking this and should just go with either the finished Marksman or Fusion-8 design (or something else like 893) just say so.

Thanks in advance. Eric
post #70 of 213 Old 11-23-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
knowing how big your room is

Currently, 13'W, 60'L, 8'H, but the plan is to cut the length in half with a wall and close the room and maybe seal/sound proof.

how loud you listen

I like it loud when I can get away with it and will listen at reference when I get a chance.

what speakers you currently have

B&W N804s and matching center for the L/C/R, and Def Tech towers for the surrounds, and a SubMersive Master/Slave combo for a 5.1 system. I would not mind moving the speakers (not subs) upstairs in connection with a different viewing area.

and what you plan on powering the speakers with.

I want to go 7.2.4 and add another Master/Slave Submersive combo. I currently have a Denon 4311. I was planning on getting a Denon 7200. I am also open to external amplification and would consider something like an Outlaw/ATI 5 or 7 channel to power the floor speakers, as opposed to a smaller two channel to power one set of the overheads.

I was thinking 7 1099s for the floor; or 3 1099s l/c/r and Fusion 15s for the rest of the floor; or 3 1099s and Volts 10s for the rest of the floor; or 7 Fusion 15s for the main floor; or the same with Fusion 12s subbed in for the fusion 15s; and Volt 10 in an Atmos flat pack for the ceiling speakers. (I am pretty open to getting the best configuration).

I am not in any hurry and would like to put the right system together over time, if need be.
post #71 of 213 Old 11-25-2015, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
2.1/2.0 for 20x12x8 non-dedicated family room?

Dadgummit. I thought I knew what my next speaker project was going to be but now I'm back into decision-paralysis. Fusion4 is better for HT than critical music listening, I've heard? I should consider Dayton Classic II, Denhams, Speedsters, Tangos? Is a 2.1 more flexible given space constraints than a pair of towers?

And, unexpectedly, I got a lot of satisfaction out of my first project (OSs), jonesing for another one.

Room size
For a 20x12x8 family room, with listening/viewing couch about 40% in the middle of the room. This will be a family room that has a stereo (and piano, bookshelves, games, toys); not a dedicated listening or HT space.

Sources
Current source is a Marantz 2235, but may upgrade that to a modern Marantz integrated amp like the PM6005 or NAD somethingeruther, if that's not overkill. iMac mainly (iTunes); some CD, vinyl: both cheapy sources as the moment. Currently, I just don't have time to watch a lot of movies. Having a good hifi music system is important.

Use
Interest is mainly in hifi music listening, movies/TV less so (currently a 27" iMac to be replaced by TV of some kind). The OSs might be best the speakers I've ever owned (yah, lots of "opportunities for improvement").

FAF
Family acceptance factor is moderately high. Willing to do a sub. Would be better if I could keep the speakers closer to the wall. I'm interested in the SPL and freq response of the larger Fusions, but I just don't think we have the space.

Woodworking skills
Very basic. Flatpacks a must. Actually quite pleased with my first project, OSs, and never thought I'd be looking forward to a new one.

Budget
$300-$500, or more, if this becomes the system I won't mess with for the next 10 years
post #72 of 213 Old 12-22-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi,

Need a new (mainly) center channel speaker. I have a nice active Adam A7 right now that sounds wonderful, but has too small a sweet spot. My HT doubles as our living room and the seating flanks the four sides. (People on the sides are missing out)

I really dig Tux' description of the 893 in this scenario and am strongly considering it, but I have a few questions:

1. When it says 28" is it EXACTLY 28" because this is going in a cabinet that is 32 inches wide, but the access is exactly 28.0".
2. My other considerations are Power Sound Audio MT-110's or Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C. Can anyone shed light on comparing the 893 to either or both of these?

Whatever I choose I will do LCR with C in the horizontal and the LR's vertical. All three in a treated cabinet with a 132" AT screen that lowers and raises in front of them.

Thanks for any help with my decision!
post #73 of 213 Old 12-26-2015, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Newbie here but I have built several speakers from kits and have many speakers all over the place. I am thinking of building a pair of either the Volt 6 or Fusion 6 to get the horn sound. Years ago, I have listened a lot to the Altec 19 love the the mids and dynamics of good horn speakers. I want a good horn with detailed sound and not horns (cheap PA or cheap Klipsch) that lacks details.

Are there any comparisons reviews of the sound of the Volt 6 versus the Fusion 6? Which should I build?

Due to space constrains and my lack of skill in building cabinets, I want to start small. All previous speakers kits I build came with preassembled cabinets.

Room Info - Probably use the speakers in my bedroom to replace the Okara styled speakers with Vifa P13 midbass and Hiquphon Ow1 tweeter with crossover designed by Dennis. Bedroom is about 14 x 18 feet.

Current Speakers & Power - bedroom set is as above and driven by a Pioneer 5.1 Ht receiver in stereo mode (I need HDMI for my TV). Other speakers are Martin Logan Monoliths iii (bought used cheap) n basement, Acoustat Spectra 11, Norh mini 9 with scanspeak drivers and Dennis Murphy designed crossover, and many other speakers in the garage,

Listening Preference/Usage - It is mostly for watching TV or listening to music at moderate volumes. I don't want to lose any more hearing. I don't need deep base and have not bothered to get a subwoofer for my bedroom even though my bedroom speakers lack bass. I like mini monitors with 5 1/2 inch midbass.

Size Constraints - I prefer small and have no space for what I really want -- VOTT or Altec 17, 18, or 19.

DIY Capabilities - I can read schematics and build crossover. Mu soldering skill is mediocre and my wood working skills are non-existence.

Budget - Prefer to go cheap but no real budget limits.

Reason for Upgrade - Just feel like building a kit and want the horn or horn coaxial sound. If I had the space, I would build an Altec 18 clone with GPA 604, but that is not possible for now.

Future Plans - I would probably stay with stereo but have 5.1 receiver so I can go to 5.1 if I feel the need.

Thanks,
Ron
post #74 of 213 Old 12-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Want to install 9.2.2 - Target is for Atmos / DTS:X
Additional Details -
I know very little on what speaker placement should be for DTS:X verse Atmos.
DTS:X Is supposed to be more flexible but even Denon could give me no details
on it when I called this week.

1. Ideas are for atmos ceiling use angled Vol 6 or vol 10 xl towards the listening position I think volt 6 would be better.
2. Surrounds side and back angled volt 6 or Volt 10 xl, again atmos documentation wants them at ear level. Would prefer them about 2ft over my seating position but unsure again?
If ear level would be better then would switch to the flat ported. I'm thinking volt 6 would be the better dispersion considering how close the seating positions are.
3. Atmos calls for front wides so not sure about doing front heights or
which speakers would be a fit here as I would like to wall mount.
4. I would like to sell the Verus and klipsch fronts and thinking of doing
three of the cinema-10.
5. Where the center is I would like to do the dual opposed 18 but do not
know its low cuttoff frequency or how it would do positioned in the center.

Additional Measurements.
1. Ceiling Height 9ft
2. Seating position to back wall is 2ft 11in
3. Floor to my the bottom of my screen I only have 38 inches to work with for any center speaker standing.
4. Room Width : 14ft 8in, Length 23ft 6in.
Room Dimensions are on the attached image also.

Appreciate any helpful comments and I though since I'm waiting on the angled vol 6 flat packs to be instock though I would see everyone's thoughts.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1142362  
post #75 of 213 Old 12-26-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronk489 View Post
Newbie here but I have built several speakers from kits and have many speakers all over the place. I am thinking of building a pair of either the Volt 6 or Fusion 6 to get the horn sound. Years ago, I have listened a lot to the Altec 19 love the the mids and dynamics of good horn speakers. I want a good horn with detailed sound and not horns (cheap PA or cheap Klipsch) that lacks details.

Are there any comparisons reviews of the sound of the Volt 6 versus the Fusion 6? Which should I build?

Due to space constrains and my lack of skill in building cabinets, I want to start small. All previous speakers kits I build came with preassembled cabinets.

Room Info - Probably use the speakers in my bedroom to replace the Okara styled speakers with Vifa P13 midbass and Hiquphon Ow1 tweeter with crossover designed by Dennis. Bedroom is about 14 x 18 feet.

Current Speakers & Power - bedroom set is as above and driven by a Pioneer 5.1 Ht receiver in stereo mode (I need HDMI for my TV). Other speakers are Martin Logan Monoliths iii (bought used cheap) n basement, Acoustat Spectra 11, Norh mini 9 with scanspeak drivers and Dennis Murphy designed crossover, and many other speakers in the garage,

Listening Preference/Usage - It is mostly for watching TV or listening to music at moderate volumes. I don't want to lose any more hearing. I don't need deep base and have not bothered to get a subwoofer for my bedroom even though my bedroom speakers lack bass. I like mini monitors with 5 1/2 inch midbass.

Size Constraints - I prefer small and have no space for what I really want -- VOTT or Altec 17, 18, or 19.

DIY Capabilities - I can read schematics and build crossover. Mu soldering skill is mediocre and my wood working skills are non-existence.

Reason for Upgrade - Just feel like building a kit and want the horn or horn coaxial sound. If I had the space, I would build an Altec 18 clone with GPA 604, but that is not possible for now.

Future Plans - I would probably stay with stereo but have 5.1 receiver so I can go to 5.1 if I feel the need.

Thanks,
Ron
I own both the Fusion 6 and also the Volt 6 however I have not completed the build on my volt 6 speakers. The Fusion 6 is one of my favorite sounding speakers. They are small though so if you need them to fill a large room or really high volume that's not the speaker for you. It's just too small for that.

Both of the speakers are easy to build. The Fusion 6 was the first crossover I built. The rest of my DIYSG speakers either came with pre-assembled crossovers or I had mtg90 build them for me (on the 1099s).

Try the Fusion 6. They don't cost much, easy to build, and they sound great.
post #76 of 213 Old 12-26-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 376
[QUOTE=Ronk489;40043394]Newbie here but I have built several speakers from kits and have many speakers all over the place. I am thinking of building a pair of either the Volt 6 or Fusion 6 to get the horn sound. Years ago, I have listened a lot to the Altec 19 love the the mids and dynamics of good horn speakers. I want a good horn with detailed sound and not horns (cheap PA or cheap Klipsch) that lacks details.
Note: For brevity I deleted the text for which I have no expertise or advice. I have large Klipsch and Fusion 10 speakers. I am solidly in the camp for SEOS based speakers.

You will love the flatpacks. Easy to assemble and the CNC cut pieces don't just fit, they match.

(snip)

I agree with you, no sub for bedroom. FYI a lot of people do like full 5.1 for bedroom use so it is personal preference.

For regular listening of movies or music in particular, a sub is highly recommended for nearly all the SEOS speakers as they are designed to be used with a sub. A sub will NOT hurt your ears, it will give a nice, full sound to the lowest octaves even at lower listening levels. But if this setup will be in your bedroom, then it is totally personal preference.

DIY Capabilities - I can read schematics and build crossover. My soldering skill is mediocre and my wood working skills are non-existence.
Again, flat packs are your best friend. I assure you that you can do it as long as you have the skill to use a wood clamp without setting yourself on fire.

For me reading schematics and soldering were anxiety producing due to my complete novice-hood in such things. My advice is get the pre-assembled cross overs and be done with it.

Erich advises to NOT buy kits based on cost, but on how the speakers fit your needs. Erich gives great advice.

Even with stereo I would advise building or buying a sub, even an inexpensive one for $120 from Parts-Express. A 2.1 can sound real good for music. If you want to upgrade get the best center speaker that will fit your needs. The center speaker is the most important speaker in your setup, even with music if you have an AVR that will send vocals to the center speaker.

I currently have a 3.1 setup in my living room for 90/10 TV/Movies. I have a 2.1 setup for the computer with 15" woofers and SEOS 12, with a 15" sub. It is super clear and fun to listen to.
[/QUOTE

Last edited by wvu80; 12-26-2015 at 06:19 PM.
post #77 of 213 Old 12-26-2015, 08:06 PM

dwaleke and wva80, Thanks, Ok, both of you recommend the Fusion 6. dwaleke, when will you complete the build on the volt 6 so you can compare the two.

It looks like the fusion 6 is a good choice as it fits my bedroom best and is the easier build. The fusion 8 might be a decent choice as well with the bigger compression driver. I will try to ask Eric's advice once the Christmas season is over.

Cost is not the problem but space is. I don't plan to play loud and with two way dome system, I like 5 1/5 midbass systems best with better integration in the mids. With compression drivers being able to go lower, bigger midbass drivers can integrate well with the CD.

Ron
post #78 of 213 Old 12-26-2015, 08:06 PM

dwaleke and wva80, Thanks, Ok, both of you recommend the Fusion 6. dwaleke, when will you complete the build on the volt 6 so you can compare the two.

It looks like the fusion 6 is a good choice as it fits my bedroom best and is the easier build. The fusion 8 might be a decent choice as well with the bigger compression driver. I will try to ask Eric's advice once the Christmas season is over.

Cost is not the problem but space is. I don't plan to play loud and with two way dome system, I like 5 1/5 midbass systems best with better integration in the mids. With compression drivers being able to go lower, bigger midbass drivers can integrate well with the CD.

Ron
post #79 of 213 Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLand View Post
Hi,

Need a new (mainly) center channel speaker. I have a nice active Adam A7 right now that sounds wonderful, but has too small a sweet spot. My HT doubles as our living room and the seating flanks the four sides. (People on the sides are missing out)

I really dig Tux' description of the 893 in this scenario and am strongly considering it, but I have a few questions:

1. When it says 28" is it EXACTLY 28" because this is going in a cabinet that is 32 inches wide, but the access is exactly 28.0".
2. My other considerations are Power Sound Audio MT-110's or Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C. Can anyone shed light on comparing the 893 to either or both of these?

Whatever I choose I will do LCR with C in the horizontal and the LR's vertical. All three in a treated cabinet with a 132" AT screen that lowers and raises in front of them.

Thanks for any help with my decision!
Sorry for missing some of these questions.

Yes, the 893 is exactly 28" wide. But if your access is exactly 28" wide then it might not fit because you can't fit the same width into the same width. Your access area has to be a tiny bit bigger, even if it's just 1/16".

I haven't heard either of the other speakers you mentioned. I'm sure they are good for their intended purpose though.

post #80 of 213 Old 12-29-2015, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromc5 View Post
Want to install 9.2.2 - Target is for Atmos / DTS:X
Additional Details -
I know very little on what speaker placement should be for DTS:X verse Atmos.
DTS:X Is supposed to be more flexible but even Denon could give me no details
on it when I called this week.

1. Ideas are for atmos ceiling use angled Vol 6 or vol 10 xl towards the listening position I think volt 6 would be better.
2. Surrounds side and back angled volt 6 or Volt 10 xl, again atmos documentation wants them at ear level. Would prefer them about 2ft over my seating position but unsure again?
If ear level would be better then would switch to the flat ported. I'm thinking volt 6 would be the better dispersion considering how close the seating positions are.
3. Atmos calls for front wides so not sure about doing front heights or
which speakers would be a fit here as I would like to wall mount.
4. I would like to sell the Verus and klipsch fronts and thinking of doing
three of the cinema-10.
5. Where the center is I would like to do the dual opposed 18 but do not
know its low cuttoff frequency or how it would do positioned in the center.

Additional Measurements.
1. Ceiling Height 9ft
2. Seating position to back wall is 2ft 11in
3. Floor to my the bottom of my screen I only have 38 inches to work with for any center speaker standing.
4. Room Width : 14ft 8in, Length 23ft 6in.
Room Dimensions are on the attached image also.

Appreciate any helpful comments and I though since I'm waiting on the angled vol 6 flat packs to be instock though I would see everyone's thoughts.

Thank you

The Volt-6 will work great for Atmos and surround speakers and put out plenty of volume in that room size. I'm not sure there's much reason to go with the Volt-10.

If you go with the Cinema-10 you need to be sure all three front speakers are used vertically. You wouldn't want to lay the Cinema-10 on it's side. If you did stand it up, but keep it on the floor to stay under your 38" height limit, the waveguide would be pretty low. You might want to consider three 88-Specials or three other smaller speakers that keep the waveguide up higher in that situation.

post #81 of 213 Old 01-03-2016, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Please help on pick up a set of speakers for my listening , I currently have Elusive 1099 and Volt 10 for my living room which I love.

My room size is 14x12x9. I don't have any amplifier yet but thinking something sansui 1090DB or something 100watts powered.

My interested doing research is Fusion-6. But not sure this will fits my room,

Thanks
post #82 of 213 Old 01-03-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
would the ported 10LX's be good for LCR behind a AT screen in a room 17 X 9.5 x 8.5? first row is 10 feet away, second is 16. I am listening to them in my living room powerd by a little Lepai amp and they sound great in there. I would love to just buy a third and use them for LCR if they would work well. Subs will be two UXL-18's in 8cft ported cabs. Ill be using a AVR rated at 125 wpc.

Im between these, the Cinema-8's and the 10 Pures.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #83 of 213 Old 01-04-2016, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinhj240 View Post
Please help on pick up a set of speakers for my listening , I currently have Elusive 1099 and Volt 10 for my living room which I love.

My room size is 14x12x9. I don't have any amplifier yet but thinking something sansui 1090DB or something 100watts powered.

My interested doing research is Fusion-6. But not sure this will fits my room,

Thanks
Do the speakers have to be small? What kind of space are you working with? How about budget?
post #84 of 213 Old 01-04-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
would the ported 10LX's be good for LCR behind a AT screen in a room 17 X 9.5 x 8.5? first row is 10 feet away, second is 16. I am listening to them in my living room powerd by a little Lepai amp and they sound great in there. I would love to just buy a third and use them for LCR if they would work well. Subs will be two UXL-18's in 8cft ported cabs. Ill be using a AVR rated at 125 wpc.

Im between these, the Cinema-8's and the 10 Pures.
I can't see why those wouldn't work.
brian6751 likes this.
post #85 of 213 Old 01-04-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Do the speakers have to be small? What kind of space are you working with? How about budget?
no problem with budget
i was thinking small since the space is small , i have no limit to set the speakers. reason , i didn't pick tower since i like to hang it.
thanks
post #86 of 213 Old 01-04-2016, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure the Fusion 6 would do the trick. Just wondering if you'll get enough bass unless you're using subs?
post #87 of 213 Old 01-04-2016, 05:52 PM

^^ At a moment , I am to build 2 speakers stereo mainly for easy listening. So Fusion 6 would be enough or is it lack of bass? I dont mind to add a sub, but for jazz, pop it should be alright?

thanks
post #88 of 213 Old 01-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Get Help Picking the Right DIY Sound Group Speakers.

I'm looking to replace my surrounds as part of my ongoing Atmos upgrade, and I have been looking at the Volt 10 LX for side surrounds. I don't fully appreciate the trade offs between timbre matching vs dispersion. How about one of SEOS 10 variants? They will be around 8' from the MLP, in my partially treated family room, built into towers to match my 1099s. The rear surrounds and overheads will all be volt 6 or 8 due to size constraints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #89 of 213 Old 01-11-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At that distance, using something like the Fusion 10 is a great choice.
post #90 of 213 Old 01-12-2016, 07:16 PM

Last, month, I asked for advice on what to get -- Fusion 6 or Volt 6. People suggested Fusion 6.

So, I initially ordered the Fusion 6, but after discussing with Erich, I changed to Fusion 8. It just arrived today and i am in the process of building it. I have painted the baffle black and completed 1 box. I will do the second box later. I have partially assembled the crossover -- put it together and hot glued / zip tied but not soldered. I will solder the crossover once I get speaker wire. I will seal it with silicon chalking, and buy the stuffing (cheap pillow and mattress liner) tomorrow. I look forward to hearing how it sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page