Get Help Picking the Right DIY Sound Group Speakers. - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #91 of 213 Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Room Info - Dedicated Home Theater. The room has low ceilings about 7'5", it is about 25' long and 10'6" wide. The Speakers will be behind an AT wall (screen is 120" diagonal 16:9) that has 3' of space behind it. The first row of seating is about 10 feet away, with a couch on a riser 4 feet behind (14' back) that and bar seating directly behind the couch (17' back).

Current Speakers & Power - I currently am using an old Klipsch F3 setup. It includes 2 - F3 towers and a C3 center with 2 -S3 surrounds. I do have the room wired for 7.1 and plan to build 2 more surrounds. I currently use a Pioneer Elite VS-50, but am thinking of upgrading to something like the Monoprice Monolith 7, when it comes out. So for now, assume what I have, but something that can handle the Monolith, if I do indeed upgrade to it.

Listening Preference/Usage - I only watch movies and Sports. I like to feel the movies. Impact is a must. I have been happy with my Klipsch (although they can sometimes get too bright) and okay happy with my Subwoofer, but that will eventually be replaced. I really want to focus on the Front 3 speakers and the rears right now. I typically set my receiver to Pure Direct. I usually listen to my system at abotu -10DB (calibrated). Any louder and it hurts my ears due to it being too sharp.

Size Constraints - Since this is a dedicated Theater, I do not have any size constraints.

DIY Capabilities - I would really prefer a flat pack. I do not feel confident enough to get as good of sound, without using your flat packs.

Budget - My budget is flexible. I'd like to stay around $1,500 for the 3 fronts and 2 rears.

Reason for Upgrade - I bought my speakers that I have now back in 2007 back when I could buy them for under cost from Klipsch. I got the whole system for like $500. I've always wanted a nice system that would do my newly built theater justice. IS it possible to get better sound within my price range?

Future Plans - Upgrading my Receiver and get an External Amp. Currently I am eyeing the Monoprice Monolith 7. I also would like to add 2 more matching rears to make it a 7.1.

I really have not had anything other than my Klipsch. Although I have been happy with them, I feel like they could be better. Are any of these DIY speakers better than what I currently have? If so, what would be best for me?

Last edited by Al Toid; 01-13-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 213 Old 01-13-2016, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
I think it would be an upgrade.

First though, when you set your AVR to pure direct, doesn't that mean full range bass is going to the speakers? It has been shown over and over that there is bass down to less than 20hz in the speaker channels. Especially the center channel. The DIYSG speakers capatalize on people using a subwoofer and blocking out the <60hz content and redirecting to the subs. I don't think pure direct would sound good. I don't think it would be good with your klipsch either though so maybe I'm wrong altogether.
Al Toid likes this.
post #93 of 213 Old 01-13-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

First though, when you set your AVR to pure direct, doesn't that mean full range bass is going to the speakers? It has been shown over and over that there is bass down to less than 20hz in the speaker channels. Especially the center channel. The DIYSG speakers capatalize on people using a subwoofer and blocking out the <60hz content and redirecting to the subs. I don't think pure direct would sound good. I don't think it would be good with your klipsch either though so maybe I'm wrong altogether.
That is what I thought as well. Its full range, no EQ, 2 channel

Also, none of these DIYSG designes will require an amp like that Monoprice Monolith 7 one. Most AV receivers can drive them just fine

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 213 Old 01-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
At that distance, using something like the Fusion 10 is a great choice.

Thanks, how about for rear surrounds? They are about 15ft back from MLP and need to be under 18" tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #95 of 213 Old 01-13-2016, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDTM View Post
Quote:
At that distance, using something like the Fusion 10 is a great choice.

Thanks, how about for rear surrounds? They are about 15ft back from MLP and need to be under 18" tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even more reason to use the Fusion 10. That's quite a distance. I usually recommend the volts when the distance is shorter.
post #96 of 213 Old 01-13-2016, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Room Info - Dedicated 2 channel listening room. 10.5x13' with 8' ceilings. Speaker placement and seating position will be wherever it sounds best.

Current Speakers & Power - None. Will get a nice 2ch amp. Emo/Crown/whatever. Wife wants McIntosh but we'll see on price. Will be used with most likely a Rythmik sub or 2.

Listening Preference/Usage - 2 channel music of all kinds. Want this to be a reference level system, both in volume and in resolution. Lots of hard rock/metal, so not harsh, and powerful punchy midbass is a must. Needs to be able to get loud with great impact and sound fantastic doing it. Also needs to resolve intricate details and microdynamics in a well recorded jazz piece and throw a good sound stage.

Size Constraints - none as long as it isn't too much for the relatively small room.

DIY Capabilities - I would really prefer, but do not need a flat pack.

Budget - Pretty flexible. It'd be nice to be under $1200 for the pair.

Reason for Upgrade - We bought a new house and have a spare bedroom to devote to being a dedicated listening room. We like music.

Future Plans - Whatever room treatments are necessary. Probably some DSP.

Was thinking maybe Fusion 10 or 12 with MBM. Or maybe just Fusion 15, but unsure if that's too much speaker for the room. Never really played with waveguides before.
post #97 of 213 Old 01-14-2016, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Speakers Needed: Rear & side surrounds initially, followed by LCR.

Room/Use Info - Dedicated Home Theater 9' Wide x 16' x ~8'. 90% movies & 10% sports. More details on room in my build thread link in sig if needed.

Current Speakers & Power - Athena's & Klispch Center powered by Onkyo 818, I do have an Adcom GFA 7500 but not currently using

Size Constraints - Due to the small width of the room the surrounds will have to be wall mounted or recessed into the wall.

DIY Capabilities - Capable but would get flat packs due to time constraints

Budget - $1500ish

Reason for Upgrade - Need new surrounds due to new theater, would like to match the LCR's to them

Future Plans - I will wire for 4 atmos speakers in the ceiling but don't plan on adding them for awhile

Last edited by frogers935; 01-15-2016 at 08:25 AM.
post #98 of 213 Old 01-14-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogers935 View Post
Speakers Needed: Rear & side surrounds initially, followed by LCR.

Room/Use Info - Dedicated Home Theater 9' Wide x 16' x ~8'. 90% movies & 10% sports. More details on room in my build thread link in sig if needed.

Current Speakers & Power - Athena's & Klispch Center powered by Onkyo 818, I do have an Adcom GFA 7500 but not currently using

Size Constraints - Due to the small width of the room the surrounds will have to be wall mounted or recessed into the wall.

DIY Capabilities - Capable but would get flat packs due to time constraints

Budget - $1500ish

Reason for Upgrade - Need new surrounds due to new theater, would like to match the LCR's to them

Future Plans - I will wire for 4 atmos speakers in the ceiling but don't plan on adding them for awhile
I would get the Volt 6's because they will have a wider dispersion which you want especially in a room that narrow.

FOR SALE:

Last edited by brian6751; 01-14-2016 at 10:21 AM.
post #99 of 213 Old 01-14-2016, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are correct, unless you enable Subwoofer Plus, which then sends the bass that the speakers cannot reproduce to the subwoofers. It does send the full surround. I do not have to use this. I've just felt that it has sounded better to me, with the subwoofer plus enabled and it on pure direct. Honestly, I had never heard anyone chalenge me, that I mgiht not be listening to the optimum sound. Maybe I need to rethink, if I should have it on pure direct. Honestly, with Subwoofer plus enabled, it sounds the best to me. But if that is not the optimum way to listen to it, I have no problem using MCACC. Is there a set of speakers that would fit my room well? I am hoping for 3 of the exact same and also up to 4 rears of the exact same nature. I do not plan to go to atmos and do not have to use the Monolith, if that amp is not a good idea with the speakers.

I must admit, I love the idea of saying, "I built those speakers " Plus, I would really like an upgrade.

Last edited by Al Toid; 01-14-2016 at 12:50 PM.
post #100 of 213 Old 01-14-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakele View Post
Room Info - Dedicated 2 channel listening room. 10.5x13' with 8' ceilings. Speaker placement and seating position will be wherever it sounds best.

Current Speakers & Power - None. Will get a nice 2ch amp. Emo/Crown/whatever. Wife wants McIntosh but we'll see on price. Will be used with most likely a Rythmik sub or 2.

Listening Preference/Usage - 2 channel music of all kinds. Want this to be a reference level system, both in volume and in resolution. Lots of hard rock/metal, so not harsh, and powerful punchy midbass is a must. Needs to be able to get loud with great impact and sound fantastic doing it. Also needs to resolve intricate details and microdynamics in a well recorded jazz piece and throw a good sound stage.

Size Constraints - none as long as it isn't too much for the relatively small room.

DIY Capabilities - I would really prefer, but do not need a flat pack.

Budget - Pretty flexible. It'd be nice to be under $1200 for the pair.

Reason for Upgrade - We bought a new house and have a spare bedroom to devote to being a dedicated listening room. We like music.

Future Plans - Whatever room treatments are necessary. Probably some DSP.

Was thinking maybe Fusion 10 or 12 with MBM. Or maybe just Fusion 15, but unsure if that's too much speaker for the room. Never really played with waveguides before.
I don't recall the specifics of how this speaker was designed, but my mind jumped to the Maximus 12. I think that's what it's called. Jeff usually has a little more laid back sound and it's a 3 way so should carry a lot of detail through. Take a look and report back.
post #101 of 213 Old 01-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
That is what I thought as well. Its full range, no EQ, 2 channel

Also, none of these DIYSG designes will require an amp like that Monoprice Monolith 7 one. Most AV receivers can drive them just fine
Brian, It is great news to know that I can keep my current receiver. I assumed, if I upgraded the speakers I would want to upgrade to a separate amp as well. If I don't need to, then that would be a substantial savings!

Just so you know, on my receiver at least, pure direct only means that it does not offer any room correction or EQ. It takes the direct source material and plays it. Therefore, if it is a 7 channel source, it'll play all 7 channels, reading it directly from the source. My receiver also allows the subwoofer to continue to play, but I understand most do not. Having said this, if the DIYSG speakers sound better without using Pure Direct, I would certainly change to Auto Surround or another EQ. I am not married to Pure Direct at all. It just seemed to sound better with my current speakers. Thanks for all the information so far. I look forward to hear any other information you guys can give.
post #102 of 213 Old 01-14-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Toid View Post
Brian, It is great news to know that I can keep my current receiver. I assumed, if I upgraded the speakers I would want to upgrade to a separate amp as well. If I don't need to, then that would be a substantial savings!

Just so you know, on my receiver at least, pure direct only means that it does not offer any room correction or EQ. It takes the direct source material and plays it. Therefore, if it is a 7 channel source, it'll play all 7 channels, reading it directly from the source. My receiver also allows the subwoofer to continue to play, but I understand most do not. Having said this, if the DIYSG speakers sound better without using Pure Direct, I would certainly change to Auto Surround or another EQ. I am not married to Pure Direct at all. It just seemed to sound better with my current speakers. Thanks for all the information so far. I look forward to hear any other information you guys can give.
I would definitely try them with just your receiver first. Most of these designs are in the upper REAL 90db range of sensitivity. The 1099 can hit 105db(reference speaker level) with just 20 watts from 10 feet away!!

this is a great tool to help understand how much power you need to reach the volumes you want

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
Al Toid likes this.

FOR SALE:
post #103 of 213 Old 01-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would definitely try them with just your receiver first. Most of these designs are in the upper REAL 90db range of sensitivity. The 1099 can hit 105db(reference speaker level) with just 20 watts from 10 feet away!!

this is a great tool to help understand how much power you need to reach the volumes you want

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
That is unreal! I guess I still have a lot to learn Maybe I'll try out the 1099. I've heard a lot about them. Do you think they would be a good choice for my room size? Heck maybe I'll upgrade to a couple DIYSG Subwoofers, since I don't need a new amp Thanks again for explaining a little more about Pure Direct. I'll definitely try out the receiver first. I really appreciate the help.
post #104 of 213 Old 01-14-2016, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tux and Erich would be better at making recommendations. Im sure they would work great. Overkill even, but usually people are told to go with whatever fits there size limits, WAF, and budget.
Al Toid likes this.

FOR SALE:
post #105 of 213 Old 01-15-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I don't recall the specifics of how this speaker was designed, but my mind jumped to the Maximus 12. I think that's what it's called. Jeff usually has a little more laid back sound and it's a 3 way so should carry a lot of detail through. Take a look and report back.
So that looks like it's more or less a Fusion 8 and a Midbass Module together. Seems like it should do the trick. Would the Fusion 8 flat pack fit the front waveguide/mid baffle from this Maximus 12 set? What are the crossover points/slopes?
post #106 of 213 Old 01-15-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry I can't answer those questions.
post #107 of 213 Old 01-16-2016, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
So that looks like it's more or less a Fusion 8 and a Midbass Module together. Seems like it should do the trick. Would the Fusion 8 flat pack fit the front waveguide/mid baffle from this Maximus 12 set? What are the crossover points/slopes?
The Fusion 8 front baffle is narrower than the the Maximus-12.
post #108 of 213 Old 01-16-2016, 12:01 PM

Yeah, looks like it. Hmm. Are there any plans to have Max 12 flat packs?
post #109 of 213 Old 01-16-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Yeah, looks like it. Hmm. Are there any plans to have Max 12 flat packs?
Ask Erich. He might make them up for you if you ask. I believe he's making them for the flex 12 which is essentially the bottom of the Maximus 12. So half of it may be done.
post #110 of 213 Old 01-17-2016, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
There's a flat pack coming very soon for the midbass module. The Maximus-12 basically uses the midbass module on the bottom, with a small sealed enclosure for the top section. So I will be getting all of that done shortly.

Last edited by Erich H; 01-17-2016 at 06:38 PM.
post #111 of 213 Old 01-17-2016, 01:59 PM

Awesome! Would you agree on the Maximus 12 recommendation for my 2ch listening room?
post #112 of 213 Old 01-17-2016, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Maximus-12 was specifically designed for 2 channel music that can easily be used without a subwoofer. Of course it will do very well for home theater use too, but the first design goal was 2 channel music.

post #113 of 213 Old 01-17-2016, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
There's a flat pack coming very soon for the midbass module. The Maximus-12 basically uses the midbass module on the bottom, with a small sealed enclosure for the top section. So I will be getting all of that done shortly.
How deep can the Magnum 12s get in a sealed enclosure roughly? I've been thinking of doing a dual woofer Maximus-12LXE with use of my current woofers.

Thanks,
Cody

SVS Ultra Bookshelves (Gloss White) / SVS SB13-Ultra / 2x Flex 12's / 2x V.B.S.S's / 2x Dayton 460HO's Marantz SR7008
AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #114 of 213 Old 01-18-2016, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I would get the Volt 6's because they will have a wider dispersion which you want especially in a room that narrow.
What are you using for your LCR? The more I read about these speakers the more I think I am going to sell what I have and build a completely new 7.1(2) system. Cinema-8's up front enough for my small room? Also what boxes for the Volt 6 angled or flat, I am free to set them at any height.

Thanks
post #115 of 213 Old 01-18-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogers935 View Post
What are you using for your LCR? The more I read about these speakers the more I think I am going to sell what I have and build a completely new 7.1(2) system. Cinema-8's up front enough for my small room? Also what boxes for the Volt 6 angled or flat, I am free to set them at any height.

Thanks

answered in your build thread

FOR SALE:
post #116 of 213 Old 01-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 672
I'm strongly considering the Fusion 8 for my LCR setup. It'll be behind an AT screen wall; I'm looking to minimize the screen wall depth to maximize screen size. Is this something I can get away with using the Fusion 8s? I'd rather go with these than an "in wall" speaker.
post #117 of 213 Old 01-19-2016, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Fusion-8 has a slightly more laid back sound and I'm not sure how much your AT screen would pull down the high end. I'd probably look more towards the Cinema-8's or go crazy with the 88-Specials.

post #118 of 213 Old 01-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Erich, If I chopped off the ports from the Fusion 10 baffle and relocated them to the back to shorten the cabinet, how tall would the enclosure be?

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #119 of 213 Old 01-20-2016, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
The Fusion-8 has a slightly more laid back sound and I'm not sure how much your AT screen would pull down the high end. I'd probably look more towards the Cinema-8's or go crazy with the 88-Specials.
Thanks Erich. I think I might actually be more drawn to the laid back sound; I've heard Fusion 15 and 1099s at the Chicagoland GTG a few times last year and loved them, but I'm certain I'd enjoy a tiny bit less brightness either way. Certainly will not rule out the Cinema 8s either.

Are there any "rules" on how close I can keep these to the rear wall? Should I make baffle wall of sorts with lots of absorption on the wall behind the speakers like I've seen folks with true in-walls have done? My theater is not going to have much depth: 13' before considering the screen wall, and my listening distance will be 10' or so. Hence why I don't think I'll need any of the Bigger Boy speakers, despite loving them.

And unrelated; I've been enjoying my Hitmakers for 3 years now as my primary speakers in my computer/office setting. Looking forward to this next phase of audible bliss with the theater.
post #120 of 213 Old 01-20-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are the cinema-8's designed to be flatter than the fusion-8? I was under the impression they were designed the same.

FOR SALE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page