Get Help Picking the Right DIY Sound Group Speakers. - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #181 of 213 Old 02-24-2016, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmap42 View Post
Hopefully the guide helps!

The 88s measure well, have good off-axis control, are clear at low volume, and can play incredibly loud (plenty of headroom). I have mine in a 20x30 great room open to the kitchen and they can easily fill the space. I don't know your current set of speakers, but for me they were an upgrade in every way.

There is a crossover services thread created by @mtg90 , he makes boards for a lot of the kits including the 88 Specials.
Thanks bitmap42

I'll be sure to check out the crossover thread. That coupled with your FUD busting guide makes these a real possibility for me

Much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 213 Old 02-24-2016, 06:09 AM

Here is a quick review of what I am currently using for those interested (hope this is ok to post) http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news...2-review/18801
post #183 of 213 Old 02-24-2016, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDBeN View Post

Thanks Erich

Will the 88-Specials give me all I am looking for in an upgrade? How about the Volts as surround / atmos upgrades will they be a good timbre / voice match for the 88 specials?

Yes, it will be a significant upgrade.

The compression driver (tweeter) in the 88-Special likely weighs more than both 5" woofers in your current speakers.

Advertisement

post #184 of 213 Old 02-24-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Yes, it will be a significant upgrade.

The compression driver (tweeter) in the 88-Special likely weighs more than both 5" woofers in your current speakers.
Sounds good.... question is go whole hog or in stages? I've a bit more thinking to do.

Thanks once again
post #185 of 213 Old 02-25-2016, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Get Help Picking the Right DIY Sound Group Speakers.

Will jbl control 26ct in ceilings pair well or match well with some of the diy speakers offered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by alamez; 02-25-2016 at 01:44 PM.
post #186 of 213 Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Those look a little bit light duty. They'll match fine but they're a different animal. I'm pretty sure any of the DIYsoundGroup kits would have more output and bass as well as a clearer presentation.
alamez likes this.
post #187 of 213 Old 02-26-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Those look a little bit light duty. They'll match fine but they're a different animal. I'm pretty sure any of the DIYsoundGroup kits would have more output and bass as well as a clearer presentation.

Thanks. I was reading and stumbled into the behringer b215xl and b212xl for LR threads. Im leaning towards that now for lcr. What would be something from the diysoundgroup that would be comparable to those or better? Price and performance wise.

post #188 of 213 Old 02-26-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those offer great bang for the buck. The contender would be suppose the Fusion 15. It costs more but it's a better speaker. So it depends if you want to spend the extra money and labor to build them to get a better speaker. The Fusion 15 will have a better waveguide, beefier compression driver with better sound quality, better designed XO for HT use rather than PA use, a much better woofer that will stay much more linear under excursion, and make deeper bass. For the money the Berry is really hard to beat if your under a tight budget.
tmfdriver likes this.
post #189 of 213 Old 02-26-2016, 12:06 PM

Well i will try the berry 12 and see how those work. I don't have an at screen so im going to have to put the center on its side and point it up towards mlp? Now for atmos and surrounds maybe i can use some volt6 ?

post #190 of 213 Old 02-26-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can't comment on using the berry on its side. I made the 1099 that way on purpose. JTR uses a coax mid/tweet for that reason. Season uses a coax for that reason. Etc. The berhinger wasn't made for HT use as a center but possibly people do it, I dunno.

Volt 6 should be a good surround. I'd ask mtg90 if you can cause I think he designed it and he has heard the berhinger too.
alamez likes this.
post #191 of 213 Old 02-26-2016, 11:01 PM

So thanks to all the help I received here I have pretty much decided on the 88 Specials. Due to me being based in the UK I am weighing up my options with regards shipping be it one shipment or two with a trial run of the 88’s first then Volts at a later date or whole hog all in one order.

This brings me to the Volts…

My current setup has the side surrounds at just over 4ft away from the MLP (middle of 2 seat sofa) the rears are just over 8ft away. Current speakers are mounted around a foot above ear level on adjustable brackets that allow for tilt and horizontal adjustments which I was hoping to continue using with the Volts. Atmos speakers (top front and top rear) are ceiling mounted roughly 5ft forward / backward from MLP I have located the ceiling joists at these locations so weight shouldn’t be an issue.

With the above in mind could you please help me choose which of the Volt series would be best suited to my room? Thinking 10's all round personally

Thanks guys

Last edited by MaDBeN; 02-27-2016 at 06:32 AM.
post #192 of 213 Old 02-27-2016, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Volt-6 would be plenty. Volt-10's would be for the biggest of big home theaters.

post #193 of 213 Old 02-27-2016, 08:52 AM

Thanks Erich much appreciated

I have a couple more questions to ask. I'll get in touch before I'm ready to place the order.

Have a good weekend
post #194 of 213 Old 02-28-2016, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hey Guys, I am working on plans for a theater room in our new home.
I have a 12' x 19' x 8' room. Two rows of seats, with the back row raised up 16-18" and the back row seats against the wall. Using an acoustically transparent screen. The floor will be carpet over concrete (finished of course).
Planning on doing a 7.2.4 system powered by a Yamaha a3050 and an cheap 100 watt amp for the extra 2 dolby channels.
My wife and I don't listen loud enough to make us go deaf or wake up the neighbors, we haven't really ever had a good sound system (just package systems with tiny speakers by yamaha, sony, etc...) but we are going all out on this theater room and want to have a great sound setup that will last for many years.
We will be using the system for nearly 100% movies, we want to be able to feel like we are in the movie. We considered tactical transducers but frankly we would prefer just using some good subs. I was looking at the fusion 15s or 1099s for LCR paired with volt 10s for surrounds/dolby and dual 15" subs but I wasn't sure if that would be overkill. Would it also be worth considering getting subs mounted under the raised back row firing into the front row seats for a more tactical feel? The LCR speakers will be behind the screen and we can adjust how much room is behind it as nothing is set in stone yet.
I am really excited to get into building some speakers from everything I have heard from everyone. Any advice on this would be great. Thanks.
post #195 of 213 Old 03-02-2016, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Additional Info Please - Repost of Room Specs

I am ready to put an order in so wanted to revisit my initial post in hopes to get some definitive answers. My plan has changed a bit I am going to buy new LCR as well as the surrounds at the same time. For surrounds I am going with (4) volt 6s.

Additional info on my theater I didn't include in original post:
- Plan on treating 1st reflection points and will have fabric panels covering the entire theater with linacoustic in them. Not sure if I will do floor to ceiling linacostic - still researching.
-Subwoofer(s) will most like be a marty variant ported box with UM18-22 powered by iNuke 6000DSP
- LCR will behind AT screen

So for LCR I am looking at the Cinema-8 or Cohesive 893. Given my space is there any reason to spend more $ for the 893's? If I go with the Cinema-8 should I use Fusion 8 center channel or stick with 3 of the cinema's?

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogers935 View Post
Speakers Needed: Rear & side surrounds initially, followed by LCR.

Room/Use Info - Dedicated Home Theater 9' Wide x 16' x ~8'. 90% movies & 10% sports. More details on room in my build thread link in sig if needed.

Current Speakers & Power - Athena's & Klispch Center powered by Onkyo 818, I do have an Adcom GFA 7500 but not currently using

Size Constraints - Due to the small width of the room the surrounds will have to be wall mounted or recessed into the wall.

DIY Capabilities - Capable but would get flat packs due to time constraints

Budget - $1500ish

Reason for Upgrade - Need new surrounds due to new theater, would like to match the LCR's to them

Future Plans - I will wire for 4 atmos speakers in the ceiling but don't plan on adding them for awhile

Last edited by frogers935; 03-02-2016 at 12:44 PM.
post #196 of 213 Old 03-03-2016, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Speakers Needed: Rear and side (ceiling later on)

Room/Use Info - semi-dedicated home theater/games room. 24 x 16 x 7'2 (room is also L shaped so actually larger, low ceilings could be a problem). Distances from MLP are as follows: Side-L 9'5", Side-R 7', Sur-L 10'4", Sur-R 11'

Current Speakers & Power - Seaton cat8's for LCR, subM, denon x4000 (planning for atmos down the road)

Size Constraints - Would prefer to have the surrounds built at least partly into the wall/a pillar.

DIY Capabilities - I would find someone to build for me

Budget - $2000~ for rears and sides

Reason for Upgrade - no current surround speakers at all!

Future Plans - Atmos support will be added at a later date

I was thinking about doing fusion-10's for the surrounds with volt 6's for the ceiling down the road. Alternatively could do volt-10's for the surrounds instead. Listening for other alternatives. Room construction is starting soon, but want to buy a pair of surrounds to enjoy in the meantime that i can later use for the more dedicated space.
post #197 of 213 Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi all,

I'm new on this forum but have been on other home theater forum.

I'm about to place an order for 3 LCR fusion 15 and Volt-10LX as surround speaker for my living/home theater room. My question is the following :

I'm doing renovation this summer to make this room more suited to so both of it's purpose while keeping the WAF high. We plan to hook the 60" TV to the wall. Also later I will have a powered drop down screen that will drop in front of the TV. I plan to remove the TV/multimedia cabinet and put all my amp, tv box, etc in a dedicated spade out of sigth with ir repeater.

I don't want to hook the TV ~45" from the floor and I don't want to have to reduce the screen size to much because the center channel is too tall.

I was planning to make custom enclosure for all 3 front fusion 15. The center would be shorter (about reference spec for a fusion 15) and be inclined to shoot at MLP. While the two size fusion 15 would be tower speaker with more cubic volume.

Is this a bad idea to have different volume for the center va LR speaker? Maybe I should make 3 identical speaker angled to aim at MLP?

I'd prefer the fusion 15 as center vs the Cinema 88 because I'm a bassheadz and I lack midbass with my current SVS SBS-02 speaker.

Thank you for your time all!
post #198 of 213 Old 04-20-2016, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It wouldn't be a problem making the center Fusion-15 smaller. I've actually seen that a few times with the Fusion-12.

post #199 of 213 Old 04-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 672
How much more midbass would the 88 Special provide me over the standard Fusion 8? I'm limited for depth, but not width, and I'll have plenty of power to feed them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
post #200 of 213 Old 04-23-2016, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
How much more midbass would the 88 Special provide me over the standard Fusion 8? I'm limited for depth, but not width, and I'll have plenty of power to feed them.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
The Fusion 8 tower should have similar midbass capability. The single woofer Fusion 8 will have significantly less.

If cost isn't an issue and you have the space, the 88 Special will have a better soundstage with its larger 15" waveguide.

Power won't really be an issue with either, they're very efficient.
JCJetta likes this.
post #201 of 213 Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Room Info
12' x 18' living room/dining room. The living room seating is about 10' from the front wall. Everything behind the seating is considered the dining room. Projector screen on the front wall between the speakers.

Current Speakers & Power
Klipsch RF-5 and a Denon PMA-900V integrated amplifier. It's being replaced with a McIntosh C32 pre-amp and MC2155 power amp before summer starts.

Listening Preference/Usage
65% music 35% movies. Usually played at reference level or higher.

Size Constraints
I''m in the market for floorstanders. Height doesn't matter. 20" wide and deep would be the maximum floor space I could sacrifice, though.
DIY Capabilities
I have limited experience with woodworking, but no real space or tools for it (I live in a Brooklyn apartment). A flat pack would make my life a lot easier.

Budget
$1200ish for L&R speakers. No subs or anything. The speakers will need to be feasible to run full range. I don't need to knock pictures off the walls during movies, but I don't want a void below 60Hz. Back when I had a larger living room, I ran a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls full range, and I was very satisfied with the bass response from those for my uses. Once the flat pack is availible, the ported 1299 seems like it would fit my bill.

Reason for Upgrade
I moved into this apartment not too long ago and one of the plans I've had for it is to build a good pair of speakers for the living room. The RF-5s are something I've had lying around that I'm now using in the interim. They're very good speakers, however they're smallish with only two 8" woofers, the bass doesn't have much impact.

Future Plans
None for the near future. Whatever I build will eventually end up in a HT when I move into a bigger place.
post #202 of 213 Old 05-18-2016, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Side and Rear Surround Suggestions....

Speakers Needed: Rear & side surrounds

Room/Use Info - Dedicated Theater, recently gutted and starting over with soundproofing wiring, etc. Room size is 13.5' x 20' x 10' (8' from soffit).
Current Speakers - Before gutting the room I built 3 1099s, which really inspired me to get moving on this project. I also have two SI-18" subs. I've always just assumed I would use volt 10s, but would like to get input so I can finalize my design and locations. LCR will be behind a AT screen approx 11.5' from MLP at first Row.

Size Constraints - Width of room is a little smaller than I would like, but managable

DIY Capabilities - Full woodshop, open to any options.

Budget - Open, but would like to match to the 1099s

Reason for Upgrade - Previous owner had Polk In-walls in a 5.1 setup (sounded decent, but not adaquate for what I wanted) , I plan to run 7.2 for now.

Thanks in advance.
post #203 of 213 Old 05-18-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankycowboy View Post
Speakers Needed: Rear & side surrounds
Thanks in advance.
Do you have any thoughts in the future about going the full immersion sound route?
I have the Volt 10's for side and rears and they have a huge presence in the room. But if going with Atmos , I might say going with Volt 8's or 6's, just for the smaller size. You will still get plenty of impact from them as surrounds though.

post #204 of 213 Old 05-18-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
Do you have any thoughts in the future about going the full immersion sound route?
I have the Volt 10's for side and rears and they have a huge presence in the room. But if going with Atmos , I might say going with Volt 8's or 6's, just for the smaller size. You will still get plenty of impact from them as surrounds though.
Actually, that's a good point. Honestly, I haven't thought that far ahead. I had planned to start with 7.2, and possibly move to a 9.x setup down the line, but haven't done enough research on Atmos yet to know if it's something I'm interested in downstream. However, what would be the downside if I went with the Volt 10s and decided to implement those into the atmos setup downstream (just asking just in case, so I can weigh out the options). Thanks!
post #205 of 213 Old 05-18-2016, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually, that's a good point. Honestly, I haven't thought that far ahead. I had planned to start with 7.2, and possibly move to a 9.x setup down the line, but haven't done enough research on Atmos yet to know if it's something I'm interested in downstream. However, what would be the downside if I went with the Volt 10s and decided to implement those into the atmos setup downstream (just asking just in case, so I can weigh out the options). Thanks!

I see no downside but only size. I built my volt 10's before the Atmos was released so only planning on having a 9.2 setup with them. Now that Atmos is here, I am rethinking if or how to implement them into Atmos. I am leaning on a smaller volt for ceiling speakers.

Since the sides and rears from what I gather on Atmos is saying to place those at ear level or a bit above will make smaller volts more attractive IMO.

My room is 13.5 wide as yours and can say the Volt 10's on the wall look big. Plus side on the volt 10's or any volts is they can be installed in ceiling with out a backer on them. I think. So no need to have huge boxes hanging from ceiling.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the volts and if you can fit the 10's I say go for it, if not look at the smaller ones.

post #206 of 213 Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I see no downside but only size. I built my volt 10's before the Atmos was released so only planning on having a 9.2 setup with them. Now that Atmos is here, I am rethinking if or how to implement them into Atmos. I am leaning on a smaller volt for ceiling speakers.

Since the sides and rears from what I gather on Atmos is saying to place those at ear level or a bit above will make smaller volts more attractive IMO.

My room is 13.5 wide as yours and can say the Volt 10's on the wall look big. Plus side on the volt 10's or any volts is they can be installed in ceiling with out a backer on them. I think. So no need to have huge boxes hanging from ceiling.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the volts and if you can fit the 10's I say go for it, if not look at the smaller ones.
Thank you again BCRSS, I'm particularly interested in your opinion, because your setup/components are similar to mine. Honestly, the Volt 10s have presented a challenge in terms of placement due to size. Probably the rears can be recessed/angled into the soffit; however, the surrounds will probably go in the columns which aren't going to be too deep (slightly over ear height from the MLP and slightly behind). When I initially tested the 1099s, I kept the polk in-wall surrounds and I would get to a point with the volume that the polks would bottom out where the 1099s had plenty of "pedal" left. It sounds like the Volt 8s may be a good balance for my needs?!
post #207 of 213 Old 05-19-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 2585
I'm thinking about upgrading in the near future. I currently have the cinema 10 max for LCR. I'm only giving them 80 watts rms. I have my eye on the 1299's. Will that be a noticeable upgrade? I guess I'm looking for more midbass, and cleaner sound at reference volume. Mostly movies in a smaller room. Seating distance is about 10'.
Or should I build proper baffle wall for the cinema 10's and send them more power? Thanks.
post #208 of 213 Old 05-19-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I initially tested the 1099s, I kept the polk in-wall surrounds and I would get to a point with the volume that the polks would bottom out where the 1099s had plenty of "pedal" left. It sounds like the Volt 8s may be a good balance for my needs?!
The Volts will keep up in a big way. I had Ascend 170's as surrounds in a 9.4 setup and once I ran Audyssey for all speakers, you could see in the settings how much more efficient the 1099's were compared to the Ascend's. So it set the 1099's to -9 and the 170's at -1 or 0. With the Volt's in now they are at -5, giving me plenty of headroom on the whole system without distortion.

post #209 of 213 Old 05-19-2016, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
I'm thinking about upgrading in the near future. I currently have the cinema 10 max for LCR. I'm only giving them 80 watts rms. I have my eye on the 1299's. Will that be a noticeable upgrade? I guess I'm looking for more midbass, and cleaner sound at reference volume. Mostly movies in a smaller room. Seating distance is about 10'.
Or should I build proper baffle wall for the cinema 10's and send them more power? Thanks.

First question coming to mind is what subs are you running with them? Next would be you could try more power but highly doubt that will solve the midbass.

Yes the 1299's will give you more mid but also think you could play around with crossover points and sub locations to help impact the mid range area. I picked up some pico wreckers and can really tell that they have reinforced my midbass region. So it is a matter of what will sound good to you. But adding more subs will help.

post #210 of 213 Old 05-19-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 2585
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post

First question coming to mind is what subs are you running with them? Next would be you could try more power but highly doubt that will solve the midbass.

Yes the 1299's will give you more mid but also think you could play around with crossover points and sub locations to help impact the mid range area. I picked up some pico wreckers and can really tell that they have reinforced my midbass region. So it is a matter of what will sound good to you. But adding more subs will help.
I am running 6 IB 15" subs. And a couple MBM's. I like the sound, but just curious if I could simplify the set up and get better results with bigger mains. I had the MBM's nearfeild and I like that. Now there on the front stage. I would put them back nearfeild if 1299's would rock up front.

What about a baffle wall? Does that help midbass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page