Little Bro to the 1099 - Development thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #421 of 437 Old 03-02-2016, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2224
No, I don't think that's normal. There's nothing hooked up to the speakers at all, and you can hear hum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 437 Old 03-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
No, I don't think that's normal. There's nothing hooked up to the speakers at all, and you can hear hum?
+1... I've heard amps whine or whistle through speakers when they dissipate power while shutting down, but never heard a speaker hum for a few days... especially without being connected. Strange voodoo going on.

DIYSG 893 | Emotiva ERD-1 | Dual DIY 18" Subs
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5 | Dual Crown XLS 2502
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Nvidia Shield | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
post #423 of 437 Old 03-02-2016, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Not just hum, I've heard a woofer picking up things a few times when everything was turned off and figured it must be normal. Very faint, but either music, or talking. I remember mentioning it to Bwaslo when he was at my house and he thought I was crazy. I think he said maybe it was a high efficiency woofer that was picking something up, but still said I was crazy.

I have an old house and thought all the wiring may not be grounded right and something is getting picked up and pushed through to the speakers. But I'm 100% sure I heard the Cheap Thrills speaker picking something up even when it wasn't wired up to anything. That used a 15" Celestion and I believe the first time I heard it.

About 15 years ago I had a really old customer that said there was a local AM radio station that had such a powerful antenna (700 WLW) that you could hear what they were pumping out through different things in your house. He said something about hearing it through metal fencing somehow, but can't remember how. I just said "wow". He said they were eventually forced to cut back on the power due to complaints. He was an engineer that retired from GE, so I didn't doubt him.
luisev likes this.

Advertisement

post #424 of 437 Old 03-03-2016, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Not just hum, I've heard a woofer picking up things a few times when everything was turned off and figured it must be normal. Very faint, but either music, or talking. I remember mentioning it to Bwaslo when he was at my house and he thought I was crazy. I think he said maybe it was a high efficiency woofer that was picking something up, but still said I was crazy.

I have an old house and thought all the wiring may not be grounded right and something is getting picked up and pushed through to the speakers. But I'm 100% sure I heard the Cheap Thrills speaker picking something up even when it wasn't wired up to anything. That used a 15" Celestion and I believe the first time I heard it.

About 15 years ago I had a really old customer that said there was a local AM radio station that had such a powerful antenna (700 WLW) that you could hear what they were pumping out through different things in your house. He said something about hearing it through metal fencing somehow, but can't remember how. I just said "wow". He said they were eventually forced to cut back on the power due to complaints. He was an engineer that retired from GE, so I didn't doubt him.

Great thanks.... At least I don't have to call an exorcist now
luisev likes this.

DIY Sound Group 893 & Volt 8's Build Thread
post #425 of 437 Old 03-03-2016, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
There's nothing hooked up to the speakers at all, and you can hear hum?
Yep completely weird..... I had them unplugged for a day or two (I think) and had to move the speakers so my ear was quite close to the mids. I could hear like a faint hum quite similar to an amp hum. I must try and plug them out again tonight and see if I can hear it.

DIY Sound Group 893 & Volt 8's Build Thread
post #426 of 437 Old 03-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjackson View Post
Yep completely weird..... I had them unplugged for a day or two (I think) and had to move the speakers so my ear was quite close to the mids. I could hear like a faint hum quite similar to an amp hum. I must try and plug them out again tonight and see if I can hear it.
If you can hear it this time, short the input and see if it goes away. Just curious.
post #427 of 437 Old 05-14-2016, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccssid123 View Post
Mind you, I am not the best at critiquing speakers. But I do want to compare to my Salk SS8. I will have my Golden Ears brother-in-law over for a listen...he does have exceptionally good hearing and appreciation for music.

But, my first impression......VERY GOOD.
Just checking in to see if you were able to compare them to the Salks... just curious.

post #428 of 437 Old 05-24-2016, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I finally made a trim ring for the woofers.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
post #429 of 437 Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
How did you make that ? That looks awesome Ryan!
post #430 of 437 Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I see potential for a design here. A haunted speaker! Ghosts!
post #431 of 437 Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
How did you make that ? That looks awesome Ryan!
Thanks. I used a CNC and Sintra plastic. It isn't cheap material but the fake Sintra is not as good. I looks even better with a black baffle. You can see the Fusion max with trim rings at impulseaudio.ca with a black cab. Looks wayyyy better than the foam gasket.

post #432 of 437 Old 05-24-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I used a CNC and Sintra plastic. It isn't cheap material but the fake Sintra is not as good. I looks even better with a black baffle. You can see the Fusion max with trim rings at impulseaudio.ca with a black cab. Looks wayyyy better than the foam gasket.
http://impulseaudio.ca/cinema-speakers/cinema-max.html

Looks great ^

You own a CNC ? I did not know that. At any rate I really like it. Well done.
post #433 of 437 Old 05-24-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Is the plastic that thin or are you creating a recess bigger than the speaker for it to sit in?
post #434 of 437 Old 05-24-2016, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
Is the plastic that thin or are you creating a recess bigger than the speaker for it to sit in?
Its 1/4" thick. I remove the foam gasket from the woofers. The trim ring is machined to allow for the lip on the woofer frame (3/16th inch thick on the circumference) and picket some holes to allow the screws to clear.

Ill get more info but I'd like to make them available to people.
luisev and ccssid123 like this.

post #435 of 437 Old 05-24-2016, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Its 1/4" thick. I remove the foam gasket from the woofers. The trim ring is machined to allow for the lip on the woofer frame (3/16th inch thick on the circumference) and picket some holes to allow the screws to clear.

Ill get more info but I'd like to make them available to people.
Maybe it's an optical illusion but is the ring flat or does it have a concave shape to it?
post #436 of 437 Old 05-24-2016, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Maybe it's an optical illusion but is the ring flat or does it have a concave shape to it?
It's flat. Ill get more pics up tomorrow which will hopefully help make more sense. Ill show them on a black baffle.
ja00 likes this.

post #437 of 437 Old 05-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

@tuxedocivic I've been going back and forth recently between ported 893 towers vs 1099s on stands to use with my 893 center. Although they are a similar design and use the same CD, would there be any voicing differences if I go with the 1099s as L&R paired with the 893 center? I know there's a sensitivity difference, but curious as to sound differences... if any. I was thinking of going with the 1099s and their flat pack instead of building the ported towers for the 893s. Just curious as to your thoughts...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page