After losing some hearing from the 1099's, now looking at the 1899's to compensate - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By BCRSS
  • 6 Post By tuxedocivic
  • 4 Post By BCRSS
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-13-2015, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
After losing some hearing from the 1099's, now looking at the 1899's to compensate

The weather is turning cooler and am looking at my year end bonus and thought I may want to try the 1899's as a winter project.

Questions I have are:

Fully assembled, what is the estimated weight? Thought I may have to include some case handles on the side just for ease of moving.

When you say the "This kit comes with the 3/4" thick baffle and the midrange chamber for the 12" woofer so you can easily make your own enclosure around it." are you saying that a separate chamber is included or that I will need to make sure I build one that is sealed inside my enclosure?

Compared to the 1099 XO, can the 1899 XO also be separated into a bass and mid /tweeter board?

I am assuming that the front ports can also be changed to port to the back or sides or sides and back? If ports were moved, could the woofers then be centered into front baffle giving extra room from the mid and waveguide?

From the picture at the website , what is the height of the center of the waveguide from the bottom of enclosure? For MLP location.

How much or many subs will I need to keep up with the 1899's?

Will the Volt 10's be able to compliment the 1899's as surrounds or will I need to look for something else? Don't think I can hang my 1099's on the wall..

My room is 13.5x16.5x8 , am I crazy thinking about these for L/C/R?


Finally, @Erich H would you be willing to put a donate button on your site? Many would like to help you out.
Thanks, Curt
More is Better likes this.


BCRSS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 10-14-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tuxedocivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Posts: 7,988
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

Compared to the 1099 XO, can the 1899 XO also be separated into a bass and mid /tweeter board?
Should be able to, unless it's a complex series XO, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

How much or many subs will I need to keep up with the 1899's?
Probably more than your room can fit. But I'd say 8 pro 21" subs in 25hz ported boxes would be a start. If you want ULF then you'll have to have a 5 wall (4 walls and ceiling) of large Vd subwoofers. Probably need several dedicated 220V outlets also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

Will the Volt 10's be able to compliment the 1899's as surrounds or will I need to look for something else? Don't think I can hang my 1099's on the wall..
Compliment? Probably. Keep up? Not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

My room is 13.5x16.5x8 , am I crazy thinking about these for L/C/R?
Yes



Ok, some truth and some humor in the above. In all seriousness though, nothing will keep up with the 1899. Don't ask if something will keep up, because that just can't be the point of that speaker unless you're building them for a commercial theatre. The idea is to have limitless output, low XO ability, huge asthetics, etc. But for a little dose of reality, that room probably is to small. You better be sitting at the very back Hope you're single
brian6751, Hoodcom, Patzig and 3 others like this.
tuxedocivic is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 10-14-2015, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Ok, some truth and some humor in the above. In all seriousness though, nothing will keep up with the 1899. Don't ask if something will keep up, because that just can't be the point of that speaker unless you're building them for a commercial theatre. The idea is to have limitless output, low XO ability, huge asthetics, etc. But for a little dose of reality, that room probably is to small. You better be sitting at the very back Hope you're single
Thanks Tux.
Yes, I am single and have no neighbors to complain. I run a self storage facility and live onsite.
I understand about "keeping up" with the 1899's but I don't always play super loud.

I guess I want to build them just to satisfy my curiosity and also because I can without anyone one else telling me otherwise. Yes they would be big for my room and am really happy with my 1099's but the 1899's are just so darn cool looking. I haven't seen any build threads on them yet, so no real listening reviews about them except for Erich H.
I still am interested in the weight of these or at least an estimate. Still need to think these through a bit more but am leaning toward a purchase on these.


BCRSS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 10-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Patzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
My room is 13.5x16.5x8 , am I crazy thinking about these for L/C/R?
Yeah, you're crazy lol.

Did I see somewhere that you're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area...or do I have you mixed up with someone else?
Patzig is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 10-14-2015, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzig View Post
Yeah, you're crazy lol.

Did I see somewhere that you're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area...or do I have you mixed up with someone else?

North Fort Worth, Saginaw, Eagle Mountain area.
Maybe just a little crazy, but still somewhat in control of my senselessness.


BCRSS is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 10-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Patzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
North Fort Worth, Saginaw, Eagle Mountain area.
Maybe just a little crazy, but still somewhat in control of my senselessness.
lol, nice. I've got 3 x 1899 on order, Erich said he was getting them packaged up yesterday, so hopefully they'll ship out this week. You're welcome to come over and have a listen once I've got them built. I guess I'm crazy too, my room will only be 20x13x8.
Patzig is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 10-14-2015, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzig View Post
lol, nice. I've got 3 x 1899 on order, Erich said he was getting them packaged up yesterday, so hopefully they'll ship out this week. You're welcome to come over and have a listen once I've got them built. I guess I'm crazy too, my room will only be 20x13x8.
That is great, I would love to hear them once completed. Have you an idea about your finish on them yet? have you ordered a vertical or horizontal center?
If I order I will need a horizontal center and hoping down the road I won't regret doing that. Thinking of an acoustic transparent screen in the future and could then go with all vertical 1899's, but like I say that is down the road.
Post pics of your build please.
Thanks
Curt


BCRSS is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 10-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Patzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
Have you an idea about your finish on them yet? have you ordered a vertical or horizontal center?
I went with 3 vertical. They'll be behind an AT screen. Not exactly sure on the size yet, but it'll need to be 130"+ to fit the 1899's. I just finished up building the 4 x Pure 10's I'm going to use as surrounds, I'll do the same finish I did on them for the 1899. 1/4" round over everywhere, 2 layers of kilz, then 2 layers of black Restore 4x. I'm super impressed with the restore 4x. I've never used Duratex, but I'd imagine it's pretty close. Super thick, fills in imperfections really well, and seems tough. It's also really good about NOT leaving finger prints, unlike many other flat paints I've used before.
Patzig is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 10-14-2015, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzig View Post
I've never used Duratex, but I'd imagine it's pretty close. Super thick, fills in imperfections really well, and seems tough. It's also really good about NOT leaving finger prints, unlike many other flat paints I've used before.
I have 3 gallons of Duratex if you would like to try some. Applies easy, water clean and has a great finish, it's a win, win on all points.


BCRSS is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Patzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I have 3 gallons of Duratex if you would like to try some. Applies easy, water clean and has a great finish, it's a win, win on all points.
Nice! Thanks for the offer. I'd be curious to see the difference between the 2 in person.
Patzig is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
This is a picture of all the duratex items I have. I had to build a cabinet to hold the center and my equipment. No nails or screws all dowels and glue, but used duratex as the finish. I like the look except for the iNuke sticking out like a sore thumb, but may paint that next with some black paint when I have extra time.


Patzig, Boxozaxu, LTD02 and 1 others like this.


BCRSS is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Patzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Looks great man, nice and clean. I'd love to come listen to the 1099 some time (still never heard them). I've contemplated painting my inuke black as well lol. Did you do the fan mod, or leave as is?
Patzig is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 10-15-2015, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzig View Post
Looks great man, nice and clean. I'd love to come listen to the 1099 some time (still never heard them). I've contemplated painting my inuke black as well lol. Did you do the fan mod, or leave as is?

Thank you, anytime you want a listen hit me up with a PM and I will send you info on my cell number and address. I have had others I met on AVS come listen to them also.
I haven't done the fan mod with the iNuke and have been thinking about it when I paint it. I also may move it to a different area out of view and if I do that the fan noise would not be heard, well not as much I am thinking.


BCRSS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off