Those speakers are HUGE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 02-28-2016, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Patzig, what kind of power did you have on the clearwaves? I have the clearwaves as well and they need a TON of power, once i put about 400 a channel on them they were amazing. No where near the 99db stuff these guys are making and because of that I am very interested and have been reading alot on these designs........
post #93 of 108 Old 02-29-2016, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankycowboy View Post
Where in FTW are you located? I don't see too many people from this area on here.
About 8 miles east of downtown, on I-30. Yeah, I hardly ever see any DFW guys on here, it's a shame. I'd still love to set up a GTG of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgemik View Post
Those speakers are HUGE!
Yes lol.

Quote:
Patzig, what kind of power did you have on the clearwaves? I have the clearwaves as well and they need a TON of power, once i put about 400 a channel on them they were amazing. No where near the 99db stuff these guys are making and because of that I am very interested and have been reading alot on these designs........
Yeah, the Clearwave is definitely a power hog. Especially if you're running them full range. I'm still running the one I own as my center channel, powered with the Hypex amp I built, which in theory can put out up to 400 watts. But I ran the Clearwave directly off an Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver for a long time. I bet that receiver could only do a real 100 watts per channel (maybe not even that). But I had the speaker crossed at 80Hz, so I feel like the Onkyo was adequate, even at reference levels.

The Clearwave is an amazing speaker, no doubt, but honestly, once you hear a well designed high 90+ sensitivity speaker, they just can't keep up. The 1899's blow the Clearwave away. I will say though...the Clearwave still beats the 1899 out in extension though. The Clearwave still sounds beautiful playing full range music to me...digging all the way down for the super deep stuff. I remember I played the POD race scene from Star Wars 1 full range on the Clearwave one time just for fun. I was blown away at the bass it put out. So much fun watching the 4 woofers go to town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 108 Old 02-29-2016, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzig View Post
About 8 miles east of downtown, on I-30. Yeah, I hardly ever see any DFW guys on here, it's a shame. I'd still love to set up a GTG of some sort.
Patzig, I used to live over there (off of Eastchase and 30 area), I'm now in Keller off of I-35 and North Tarrant. I have 3 1099s on the way. I'll have to keep your info in hopes of maybe getting something together one of these days in regard to a GTG.
post #95 of 108 Old 02-29-2016, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Patzig, I used to live over there (off of Eastchase and 30 area), I'm now in Keller off of I-35 and North Tarrant. I have 3 1099s on the way. I'll have to keep your info in hopes of maybe getting something together one of these days in regard to a GTG.
Oh nice. Ya I'm not too far from there. Solid choice on the 1099's. And yeah, for sure, I'll be sure and include you if we do get anything set up. Lmk if you want to come hear the 1899's
post #96 of 108 Old 02-29-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Lmk if you want to come hear the 1899's
I do but life issues have been keeping me way to busy.
Patzig likes this.

post #97 of 108 Old 02-29-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Patzig that is interesting, I have a yamaha rx-z11(probably comparable to your receiver) and i can tell you i was not impressed with the clearwaves, my tritrix build was louder and cleaner. I reached out to Jed and he said a receiver would start to clip before they could ever be driven. So I put a parasound hca-1000a mono on each tower (because I already had the amps lying around) which was 400 @ 8ohm per speaker. I did this out of curiosity because I was ready to throw them in the garbage. I will tell you it was night and day difference. I could play tracks like Elton John Rocketman and these speakers had so much output that was clean and dynamic it was pretty impressive to me. Mariah Careys voice could penetrate you. And when i played high res stuff like dts concert stuff, amazing........So since you own the clearwaves you owe it to yourself to put some serious amplification on them and take another listen, not to compete with waveguide stuff but just to see for yourself because i think you were selling yourself short with a receiver driving them.

So hear i am at a crossroad myself, buy some nice mono amps for my clearwaves or build something like the 1899? I dont want to spend a fortune on amps if I don't have to. I've been reading and reading lately. I came across your comparison and I was almost sold till I found out you ran them with a receiver. I wish I lived close I would love to hear them! Do you have any pics of your clearwave build? Thanks for your time, I'm not trying to be bossy or anything like that, I guess I'm just as excited about this DIY stuff as anyone out there!!
Erich H likes this.
post #98 of 108 Old 03-01-2016, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Patzig that is interesting, I have a yamaha rx-z11(probably comparable to your receiver) and i can tell you i was not impressed with the clearwaves, my tritrix build was louder and cleaner. I reached out to Jed and he said a receiver would start to clip before they could ever be driven. So I put a parasound hca-1000a mono on each tower (because I already had the amps lying around) which was 400 @ 8ohm per speaker. I did this out of curiosity because I was ready to throw them in the garbage. I will tell you it was night and day difference. I could play tracks like Elton John Rocketman and these speakers had so much output that was clean and dynamic it was pretty impressive to me. Mariah Careys voice could penetrate you. And when i played high res stuff like dts concert stuff, amazing........So since you own the clearwaves you owe it to yourself to put some serious amplification on them and take another listen, not to compete with waveguide stuff but just to see for yourself because i think you were selling yourself short with a receiver driving them.

So hear i am at a crossroad myself, buy some nice mono amps for my clearwaves or build something like the 1899? I dont want to spend a fortune on amps if I don't have to. I've been reading and reading lately. I came across your comparison and I was almost sold till I found out you ran them with a receiver. I wish I lived close I would love to hear them! Do you have any pics of your clearwave build? Thanks for your time, I'm not trying to be bossy or anything like that, I guess I'm just as excited about this DIY stuff as anyone out there!!
Yeah for sure. As I mentioned, I'm currently running the Clearwave as a center channel from my Hypex amp, so I've listened to it plenty with ample power. The Clearwave wouldn't be able to handle a true sustained 400 watts...the driver coils would be fried or excursion would be pushed to the point of mechanical damage. I asked Jed at one point and I remember him saying 200-250 watts max for these speakers. I don't doubt you though, I bet you can go much louder cleanly with your mono amps than a receiver. My situation is a little weird though...my current HT is in a sealed tiny 12'x10' room. The Clearwave center channel is only 6' from my ears, so the Onkyo really was enough power to get to reference levels in my case. It is a very good speaker, but just no match for the 1899. The 2 speakers are in different classes entirely. I'm an avid believer in high sensitivity for speakers and subs. Unfortunately, there's just no good way to explain the differences between the 2 over text. You'll just have to buy some waveguide speaker kits yourself, or try to demo some somewhere. In some ways, even my Pure 10's with "cheaper" drivers are much better than the Clearwave. The higher sensitivity just opens the gate for cleaner sound, depth, loudness, soundstage, detail, all the fancy audio words.

Hard to say which route you should take. I bet 3 Clearwaves for LCR with 400 available watts each would sound pretty great. I have no doubt that the 1899's would sound better in terms of loudness, lower distortion and more midbass punch. These speakers are huge though. Hard to realize just how big they are until they're sitting in front of you. If you have the money, space and resources to do so...I'd go with the 1899 for sure. Just my 2 cents!
Erich H and Purenv like this.
post #99 of 108 Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
I have 3 1099s on the way. I'll have to keep your info in hopes of maybe getting something together one of these days in regard to a GTG.
I'm in Abilene and would certainly make the trip to FTW for a GTG.
Erich H likes this.
post #100 of 108 Old 03-01-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakele View Post
Looks like they are coming out of the woodwork. We may have to try to put something together down the road Patzig!
Erich H likes this.
post #101 of 108 Old 03-02-2016, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I am off Keller Haslet and have 1099's and 4 Volt 10s if you wanted to hear what they sound like.

Quote:
Looks like they are coming out of the woodwork. We may have to try to put something together down the road Patzig!
I would be in for any type of get together!
PassingInterest and Erich H like this.
post #102 of 108 Old 03-03-2016, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakele View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalor View Post
I am off Keller Haslet and have 1099's and 4 Volt 10s if you wanted to hear what they sound like.

I would be in for any type of get together!
Yeah, this is great. There's at least 10-12 guys who have showed GTG interest in the DFW area...would love to meet you guys. Would love to hear many of the DIYSG offerings all in one place as well. I'll make an unofficial list of everyone who has expressed interest and maybe we can start planning something soon
PassingInterest and popalock like this.
post #103 of 108 Old 03-03-2016, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Yeah, this is great. There's at least 10-12 guys who have showed GTG interest in the DFW area...would love to meet you guys. Would love to hear many of the DIYSG offerings all in one place as well. I'll make an unofficial list of everyone who has expressed interest and maybe we can start planning something soon
Sounds good!
post #104 of 108 Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe we should take this to this thread. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...area-meet.html
That way we can post dates, times and other thoughts.
As I pm's you before I can get a place that would hold everyone and has a stage. Wouldn't get the same sound as a home setting but could hold many different speakers for all to hear.

post #105 of 108 Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have started a new thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post42101521
so lets get some input and set this up.
popalock likes this.

post #106 of 108 Old 03-03-2016, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
post #107 of 108 Old 03-04-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalor View Post
I am off Keller Haslet and have 1099's and 4 Volt 10s if you wanted to hear what they sound.

Whalor, thanks for the offer...that would be awesome as I'm considering the Volts as well. I'm off of Beach and Heritage Trace. Maybe I'll see how the GTG planning goes, if nothing solidifies soon, I may take you up on that!!
post #108 of 108 Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Had a chance to get these setup with the Hypex amp yet for some better listening feedback?

Your DIY speaker and amp builds have really inspired me into doing some very similar. I've got some time before my HT room will be ready, but planning is half the fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page