1Likes
  • 1 Post By sonichart

post #1 of 6 Old 04-03-2016, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
1099 or 88 Special

I am torn between the 1099 and the 88 Special for my LCR. Based on about a year of research and advice here, I sold my 65" LCD, bought a projector, and am currently in the process of building a 122" DIY AT screen. The 88 Special is not as popular, so there is not nearly as much info about it, but its design is really appealing. Any advice to help me make a decision on this would really be appreciated. Here are some sticking points for me...

-Being narrower, my thought is the 1099 can be spaced further out, to nearly the edges of the screen, which should keep me within the angle requirements for my listening position.

-I have read that the 1099 works great behind an AT screen, but I have not been able to find this info on the 88 Special.

-I read that the 15" SEOS was the basis for the whole SEOS project, and it is the top performer. Being only 10" on the 1099, I am guessing I am giving up some potential.

-There will be about 32" behind my screen, so I can set something like the 88 Special far enough back to keep the distances from speakers to listening position the same with all of them. I have been reading conflicting information on speaker placement distance from the AT screen. Some say the closer the better, some say farther back.

-Either speaker will be fine for me as far as output goes, as I am currently using a pair of Volt 10 LX, and am totally satisfied with their output. I considered buying another and just using them for LCR, but figured I might as well go with something more impressive as I don't plan to change things for quite a while when done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-2016, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Lots of views by forum members, unfortunately no answers, maybe a bump will help since I have the same questions. I'm not sure if my experience will help, but here goes!

I have the 88 Specials as LR in a phantom center setup in my living room. I chose them because I was able to wall mount them flanking the TV and still leave room underneath for furniture and a subwoofer that is a shelf/cabinet. They are fantastic, very clear, and easily reach low enough for the subs to cover (if I remember correctly Audyssey crossed them at 60 Hz).

I am currently looking at speakers for a dedicated home theater. If I put the set of 3 88 Specials flat behind the AT screen I save about 6 inches of depth compared to the Fusion 15 and 1099 (the other choices I am considering). So it should be an easy answer, but so many of the GTGs have shown the 1099s and Fusion 15s to be really good. Also it just seems like fun to build something else!

I am in the St. Louis area and have almost driven up to @eng-399 GTGs in Chicago just to compare my 88s! If there is anyone close to St. Louis who has the Fusion 15 or 1099 I would love to bring my 88s for a small GTG!
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 521 Post(s)
Quoted: 2406 Post(s)
Liked: 4951
1099 or 88 Special

Bitmap42 I'm hosting another gtg meet May 15th or the following weekend. I'm hoping Rolf that gave the Rew class at my house can make it again with his 1099's. I'll keep you posted as I'm now starting to slowly pm , text , and call everyone seeing what dates works for everyone. I understand that bringing these 88 specials down to your HT would be nice to save some money that could go into something else but the 1099's are some really great sounding speakers that rocked my room. I talk to Mike fusick a few days ago on the phone and he really likes 1099's to and went in great detail about the difference in these and the fusion 15's which I'm also a fan of to. Again there both great diysg speakers the fusion 15's had more midbass punch I thought over the 1099's bit there was something about the sound of the 1099's that was amazing. If I was my money and I know it's easy to say this because I'm not the one spending the money on this is to buy the 1099's. The volts will sound great as your surrounds with the 1099's. Everyone who has heard these has always been happy with them. If you can hold off and want to make the drive up my way hopefully Matt will be able to make the meet to and bring his fusion 15's back so everyone can hear them once again. Since your thread name is what it is go with the 1099's.

Last edited by eng-399; 04-05-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-06-2016, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thank you for the responses. I have heard nothing but great things about the 1099, so I am leaning towards it. The 88 Special just caught my attention due to some of its unique features, which I think would work well in my setup. I also like the fact I can get it most any time, as I don't know when the next 1099 preorder will be.

I think I will just be patient and wait for the 1099 preorder and go for it. I doubt I will be disappointed.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-12-2016, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Bitmap42 I'm hosting another gtg meet May 15th or the following weekend. I'm hoping Rolf that gave the Rew class at my house can make it again with his 1099's. I'll keep you posted as I'm now starting to slowly pm , text , and call everyone seeing what dates works for everyone. I understand that bringing these 88 specials down to your HT would be nice to save some money that could go into something else but the 1099's are some really great sounding speakers that rocked my room. I talk to Mike fusick a few days ago on the phone and he really likes 1099's to and went in great detail about the difference in these and the fusion 15's which I'm also a fan of to. Again there both great diysg speakers the fusion 15's had more midbass punch I thought over the 1099's bit there was something about the sound of the 1099's that was amazing. If I was my money and I know it's easy to say this because I'm not the one spending the money on this is to buy the 1099's. The volts will sound great as your surrounds with the 1099's. Everyone who has heard these has always been happy with them. If you can hold off and want to make the drive up my way hopefully Matt will be able to make the meet to and bring his fusion 15's back so everyone can hear them once again. Since your thread name is what it is go with the 1099's.
If there is room for one more at the GTG next month-- I'd like to attend. I'm in East Dundee so not a terrible drive out to plainfield. My wife's birthday is the weekend of the 14th. If it gets moved to the following weekend, I could definitely stop over. Please keep me posted!
eng-399 likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-12-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 521 Post(s)
Quoted: 2406 Post(s)
Liked: 4951
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
If there is room for one more at the GTG next month-- I'd like to attend. I'm in East Dundee so not a terrible drive out to plainfield. My wife's birthday is the weekend of the 14th. If it gets moved to the following weekend, I could definitely stop over. Please keep me posted!

It's definitely the following weekend and there's some really good speakers and other equipment coming over to the meet which I'll post once I get the thread going for it. I'll mention you in the thread to catch your eye on it. It's always a lot of fun at the gtg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page