post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2016, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked: 2631
Diy

Guys,

I signed up for this subforum about a year ago in hopes of consolidating threads and topics from the current DIY Sound Group forum and AVS into one place. It's worked a little, but time hasn't allowed me to keep up with the threads and answer all the questions like I was hoping. There's a new DIY Sound Group website being worked on and it's taking a good chunk of my time getting better photos and working on the new kits.

Hard to believe how fast a year goes by, but the yearly contract was up last month. I asked AVS if I could pay for an extra month (April) in order to give a notice and move some of the main topics back to the forum on DIY Sound Group. AVS said they will archive everything either way and we can always start it back up once the new site is updated and running smoothly with all the correct AVS thread links, etc.

The new site is going to be a pretty big improvement over what's been up since this all started. Hopefully it doesn't take me too much longer to get it all done.
luisev, ORIF, NanPatterson and 5 others like this.

Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-22-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2224
Looking forward to the new site Erich. To bad about the subprime, but i understand. Its been hard for me to keep up with threads and questions as well.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
post #3 of 7 Old 04-22-2016, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The new site has been in the works for about 3-4 months. The pictures needed to be a different ratio than the current site to look right, so that slowed things down a bit because I decided to retake many of them. Then I thought it would help to show some of the kits as assembled speakers, so I assembled and painted some of them.

The old forum will be updated with the new site as well. Once that's all done, then I'll look back at this subforum again.

Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-23-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
The pictures needed to be a different ratio than the current site to look right, so that slowed things down a bit because I decided to retake many of them. Then I thought it would help to show some of the kits as assembled speakers, so I assembled and painted some of them.
Wow, that is a big task, very time consuming!

If I had known I would have volunteered to have you send pics to me then I could re-size them to your specs. There is lots of software out there that will do the job. If there is anything I can do to help, you have but to ask.

Just remember I am a therapist by training. If you have problems with your website all I'm really qualified to do is to ask you how you feel about that.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-30-2016, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a reminder.
luisev likes this.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-02-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Erich, a couple thoughts on how you have the forums set up. You currently have something like 13 subforums. You might only need 1 or 2. A web forum only needs to break itself into multiple subforums when it has so much traffic that topics roll off of the first page of the forum faster than they're read. You have the opposite problem. You have threads that are years old on the first pages of your subforums. It makes the forum look dead, which doesn't keep people around and reading.

While I know you're probably trying to be organized, I think it more cumbersome to navigate the site. Casual visitors just aren't going to surf into every subforum, which means you're getting fewer potential views of threads, and thus less participation. And you also have very redundant categories. I don't think you need two forums for waveguides. Or separate forums with descriptions "Questions and Info on all speaker kits available" and "Questions about kit assembly, picking the right kits, etc" with another forum for "Flatpacks and Assembly".

I think you could combine all nine subforums under General DIY, DIYSG, Denovo, and even GTGs into one subforum. Or maybe one General Audio forum plus one for DIYSG/Denovo specific products, only because it looks like you're trying to split the forum out on its own, away from the DIYSG branding. Don't look to AVS as a model, as it has waaaay more users than you're dealing with for now. AVS probably has more people actively reading at any given point of time than you have registered to post. Even Techtalk only has six subforums, and they probably only need three.

Just an opinion based on my experiences as a guy who's been posting on "internet forums" since the 90s. I know having a strong community will help you a lot, since the more support the community gives, the more time it frees up for you to handle the rest of the business.
dorri732 and Hoodcom like this.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-03-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2224
I agree with ^

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement