3Likes
  • 3 Post By ls1ssz

post #1 of 9 Old 05-07-2016, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Birth of a set of 893's

Just completed my set of 893's. Just started to listen to just 2 channel for now. Waiting of the house to be completed before they go to their final resting place in my new theater. I can't believe how easy the build was with the flat packs and the x-over boards from MGT90. I don't have a professional ear. To many years in the sound reinforcement and the car audio industry. I think these guys sound great. I've been listening to some rock, music with a lot of vocals and now I'm off to some classical piano. Over all they image well and very accurate for the money. I had Martin Logan L,C,R in my last theater and these sound every bit a good for a 1/3 of the price. I'm pleasantly surprised. The nice thing is I don't have to have nearly as much power. I have them running off of an Emotiva XPA 3. I'm sure it's over kill for these speakers but isn't that part of the fun with DIY. I was enjoying my Volt 6's but the 893's are in a new league. They do need a sub but the mid bass punch is outstanding. I was a little concerned how they would mate with an 18" sub. After listening for a while I don't think it will be any issue. I'm off to my next project. Mini Marty's for a pair of 18" SI DS4's. While it's taken a lot more time than just swiping a credit card it's well worth the time investment for the sound quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spkrs 002.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1427802   Click image for larger version

Name:	spkrs 001.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1427810  
krholmberg, luisev and ja00 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2016, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 111
They look great! What did you use as a finish?

DIYSG 893 | Emotiva ERD-1 | Dual DIY 18" Subs
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5 | Dual Crown XLS 2502
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Nvidia Shield | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
post #3 of 9 Old 05-08-2016, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
They look great! What did you use as a finish?
5 coats of the same paint I'm going to use for the media room. That's why the Volts are grey and the mains are black. I'm using a matte finish paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-08-2016, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Gotcha... looking forward to seeing them in the room.

DIYSG 893 | Emotiva ERD-1 | Dual DIY 18" Subs
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5 | Dual Crown XLS 2502
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Nvidia Shield | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
post #5 of 9 Old 05-08-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback and glad they met your expectations.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
post #6 of 9 Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ssz View Post
Just completed my set of 893's. Just started to listen to just 2 channel for now. Waiting of the house to be completed before they go to their final resting place in my new theater. I can't believe how easy the build was with the flat packs and the x-over boards from MGT90. I don't have a professional ear. To many years in the sound reinforcement and the car audio industry. I think these guys sound great. I've been listening to some rock, music with a lot of vocals and now I'm off to some classical piano. Over all they image well and very accurate for the money. I had Martin Logan L,C,R in my last theater and these sound every bit a good for a 1/3 of the price. I'm pleasantly surprised. The nice thing is I don't have to have nearly as much power. I have them running off of an Emotiva XPA 3. I'm sure it's over kill for these speakers but isn't that part of the fun with DIY. I was enjoying my Volt 6's but the 893's are in a new league. They do need a sub but the mid bass punch is outstanding. I was a little concerned how they would mate with an 18" sub. After listening for a while I don't think it will be any issue. I'm off to my next project. Mini Marty's for a pair of 18" SI DS4's. While it's taken a lot more time than just swiping a credit card it's well worth the time investment for the sound quality.
Which model Martin Logan's are you talking about?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-09-2016, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousfrankie View Post
Which model Martin Logan's are you talking about?
I had an older set of SL-3's with the matching center channel. I was using the Script's as the rear surround in a 5.1 system. I was using Macintosh 5 channel amp on a Denon receiver.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-09-2016, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ssz View Post
Looks great. I see that on the Volt 6's you have the ports on top, which I actually considered when building mine but decided to go the conventional route. How do you the look?

I am currently doing an 893 build as well, and so far very happy with the results. Not finished yet, can't wait to get it done. In the meantime I am using the Volts as my mains.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-10-2016, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Looks great. I see that on the Volt 6's you have the ports on top, which I actually considered when building mine but decided to go the conventional route. How do you the look?

I am currently doing an 893 build as well, and so far very happy with the results. Not finished yet, can't wait to get it done. In the meantime I am using the Volts as my mains.
I decided to put the port on top since the Volt's will be on speaker stands. I didn't want them to be top heavy on the stands. Given their size it probably won't make much of a difference. Good luck with you build. As painful as it is take your time it will pay off in the long run. I'm now trying to figure out what I'm going to use for my ceiling speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page