Modified Fusion 4 Center - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-10-2016, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Modified Fusion 4 Center

Hello, This might be a dumb idea, and may be completely unfeasible without a lot of design changes. I don't know, but figured I would ask the opinion of everyone here.

Would a modified fusion 4 with only two woofers work well for a center speaker when matched with the regular quads for mains. For that matter how about ones with a single woofer for surrounds. Thus building a high quality smaller form factor surround system. While we all love large speakers, they can be hard to integrate into a living room acceptably.

If this is not completely crazy it might be a fun project to build. I would just need advice on how to do it successfully.

Last edited by gangrew; 05-10-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-10-2016, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
a few months ago @squiers007 wanted to make changes to the F4Q4.
the discussion ended with , it ain't broke and you'd be completely on your own wrt all facets of total re-design,

my own project was this build, a lower profiled box, has the same internal volume and uses the as designed front baffle

as surrounds, XT32 set the xo @40, not too bad for its size, even the designer said that an on wall placement might give it that sort of performance, Curt Campbell (?) iirc

considering the importance of the center channel wrt movies. and video , let your RC decide how to mAKE EVERY THING WORK TOGETHER
there are many happy owners/users at AVS

check the sizing comparison with the Fusion 6 center channel model, i built 1 for the man cave, it's mighty sweet . .

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4Q4 ready to play.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	486.9 KB
ID:	1433674   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4and panel.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	1433682   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4ready.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	1433690   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4Q4 with monoprice 8098 mount.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	1433706  

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #3 of 6 Old 05-11-2016, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will find the other thread and read it. I probably did at one point, I had read everything I could find on the quad 4's before deciding to go forward with them. Of course that was months ago now, and many things have gotten mixed together in my recollection.

I figured that this was probably not a great idea. I know that designing quality speakers is no easy task. Just from my perspective as a someone who has no idea what is required I was just wondering how difficult it might be, and I think they could be an attractive set of speakers.
Here is what I was hoping might be doable. With the crossover designed the way it is, I was hoping that the high side might work as is, and if lucky the low one as well just with one less output pair. Then the cabinet and ports would need to be adjusted to compensate for the number of woofers.
I realise that I am way over simplifying these changes. Just a idea that was rolling around in my head long enough for me to do something about it.

I may still play around with it. I have some scrap MDF, and I could use the components from the quads that I just finished. Worse that could happen is I learn a few things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-11-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
FWIW
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...le-d-f4q4.html

^ this is my low profile build,

let us know how you do . .

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #5 of 6 Old 05-12-2016, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangrew View Post

Would a modified fusion 4 with only two woofers work well for a center speaker when matched with the regular quads for mains. For that matter how about ones with a single woofer for surrounds.
I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a speaker designer. Some of what I say may not be correct, but I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in.

With that out of the way, I think there would be two problems with what you're proposing.

The woofer in the Q4 is an 8 ohm driver. I assume that the four of them are wired in a series-parallel arrangement presenting a combined 8 ohm load to the crossover. If you remove two woofers, you will be left with either a 4 ohm load (if you wire the woofers in parallel) or a 16 ohm load (if you wire them in series). Either of these will change the crossover frequency and require the crossover to be completely redesigned.

If you only use one woofer, the crossover frequency will be unaffected (I think), but your tweeter will be way too loud for the one woofer and will require significant padding to bring it down to match. This will result in a significantly less efficient speaker overall.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks dorri732, very good points.

The crossover for the woofers looks relatively simple (at least compared to the tweeter) with one capacitor and one inductor.

See, now this is interesting to me. If I can learn how the existing crossover works, I might be able to figure out how to replicate it to work with fewer woofers. Looks like I will be doing some reading on crossover design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page