9Likes
  • 9 Post By partcrash

post #1 of 1 Old 05-31-2016, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Big 1299 build

So, as mentioned in previous posts I was set on building a 1899 LCR, but as I measured it turned out I do not have enough room on the sides of my screen. Therefore I settled for a compromise - 1299 LCR, but LR would be 72" floor standing towers while the center will be a sealed stock 1299.

In choosing size I wanted to build LR speakers that can hold on their own for pure stero listening without subs, so my thinking was 25-30Hz tune.

I went back and forth with Erich and Ryan on the design and Ryan did determine that the best I can do with my 200 liter towers is maybe just 30-35Hz with appropriate port. Fair enough. At least they will/ should have killer midbass

So before the holidays I went and I picked up 6 sheets of 3/4 MDF and couple gallons of wood glue and started building. I had forgotten how much fun it is. I have done quite a few speakers in my lifetime, but nothing recently due to family responsibilities.

On a side note I decided to use Titebond 2 glue and I am not liking it much- too runny and drips everywhere. Doesnt stay put, has a very high absorption rate and puddles a lot. But at least WAF is good - despite of the glue dripping everywhere SO helped me prop them up once I built them on the work stand. I got a few dirty looks, but nothing a shoe shopping spree would not fix. SNR of WAF is awesome in my book.

Due to sheer size I decided to do four-side braces with routed internal edges to prevent strange resonances inside. I am happy how the bracing turned out as the boxes despite the 72" length are very stiff. Maybe I will add some additional corner bracing as I do have quite a few spare pieces. As they are without front baffles and drivers each tower is about 120 pounds.

I have ordered some denim for the inside (as per Ryan just line it up, dont stuff) and next I will be building the ports and the crossovers while waiting for the fluffy stuff to arrive.

Attached are some pics of the rough build. They will clean up nicely. As I progress through the project I will be updating this thread and hopefully finishing it with measurements and subjective listening impressions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3138.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1469609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3137.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1469617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3136.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1469625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3135.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1469633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3134.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1469641  

Last edited by partcrash; 05-31-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page