AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   SVS Community on AVS Forum® (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/418-svs-community-avs-foruma/)
-   -   SB2000 grill options (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/418-svs-community-avs-foruma/2964164-sb2000-grill-options.html)

KenM10759 03-16-2018 07:40 AM

SB2000 grill options

Hey @SVS ,

I recently noticed the offering of a "special edition" SB2000 in high gloss white and one unmentioned thing about it caught my eye: The flat fabric grill.

This is interesting and begs the question of "Can I get that in black?"

I know for a fact that SVS loses a number of sales opportunities because many people just don't appreciate the 'rugged beauty' of the perforated curved steel grill. I don't mind it, but really would prefer the option of moving to a black version of the that white one on the special edition SB2000.

Any hope?

Ed Mullen 03-21-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenM10759 (Post 55864806)
Hey @SVS ,

I recently noticed the offering of a "special edition" SB2000 in high gloss white and one unmentioned thing about it caught my eye: The flat fabric grill.

This is interesting and begs the question of "Can I get that in black?"

I know for a fact that SVS loses a number of sales opportunities because many people just don't appreciate the 'rugged beauty' of the perforated curved steel grill. I don't mind it, but really would prefer the option of moving to a black version of the that white one on the special edition SB2000.

Any hope?

I'm sorry but a black cloth version of the SB-2000 grille is not available. It's only available in white cloth to support the SB-2000 white gloss model.

KenM10759 03-21-2018 04:13 PM

Thanks for letting me know, Ed. I appreciate the response, just wish it was a different answer. 😕

Wgosma 06-01-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Mullen (Post 55895130)
I'm sorry but a black cloth version of the SB-2000 grille is not available. It's only available in white cloth to support the SB-2000 white gloss model.

Ed,
Is the white cloth version available for purchase from SVS as separate item? If so can you provide p/n and price.
Thanks/Bill

Ed Mullen 06-01-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgosma (Post 58127230)
Ed,
Is the white cloth version available for purchase from SVS as separate item? If so can you provide p/n and price.
Thanks/Bill

We had a white cloth grill available for the limited-production piano gloss white SB-2000s many months back, however, we have completely sold out of both the subwoofer and the grills and they are no longer in production.

KenM10759 06-02-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Mullen (Post 58127248)
We had a white cloth grill available for the limited-production piano gloss white SB-2000s many months back, however, we have completely sold out of both the subwoofer and the grills and they are no longer in production.

I should have asked years ago if I could buy a white one for my black SB2000 because it would have been fairly simple to strip off the white fabric and re-cover it with black.

Wgosma 06-02-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenM10759 (Post 58130290)
I should have asked years ago if I could buy a white one for my black SB2000 because it would have been fairly simple to strip off the white fabric and re-cover it with black.

Ken....I contacted Ed and another person at SVS; they are looking into the possibility of providing an engineering drawing of their SB-2000 frame that was designed for cloth cover material. Obviously it's company proprietary information but they seemed to indicate to me that the may be able to release the info as I indicated my interest was to DIY a frame for the SB-2000 I quite recently purchased.

Take care/Bill

KenM10759 06-02-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgosma (Post 58130412)
Ken....I contacted Ed and another person at SVS; they are looking into the possibility of providing an engineering drawing of their SB-2000 frame that was designed for cloth cover material. Obviously it's company proprietary information but they seemed to indicate to me that the may be able to release the info as I indicated my interest was to DIY a frame for the SB-2000 I quite recently purchased.

Take care/Bill

That would be very nice of them to do! My son has a well-equipped woodworking shop and I gifted him a top-of-the-line Porter Cable 557 biscuit cutter. Come to think of it, I have all the inspection tools need to measure and reverse-engineer one and make a drawing. I would just have to match the fasteners.

Wgosma 06-02-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenM10759 (Post 58130460)
That would be very nice of them to do! My son has a well-equipped woodworking shop and I gifted him a top-of-the-line Porter Cable 557 biscuit cutter. Come to think of it, I have all the inspection tools need to measure and reverse-engineer one and make a drawing. I would just have to match the fasteners.

Let's see if SVS will release detailed/dimensional documentation - I'll post here unless for some reason they want me to keep the info out of public domain; Ed told me one of the people involved is travelling so may take few days for response to my inquiry. May save your the reverse engineering, tho for this grill that can't be a difficult task. I don't have any machine shop or wood working tools, maybe I'll buy a frame from you! Stay tuned on this.
Bill
ps- I just got my sub a few days ago, the metal is not looking as 'bad' as it initially did, but I still think I'd prefer cloth for a bit more refined look, and match my Focal 3-way's.

satchmo2go 06-06-2019 06:00 AM

Any chance of the gloss white sb 2000 coming back in stock?

Ed Mullen 06-06-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgosma (Post 58130478)
Let's see if SVS will release detailed/dimensional documentation - I'll post here unless for some reason they want me to keep the info out of public domain; Ed told me one of the people involved is travelling so may take few days for response to my inquiry. May save your the reverse engineering, tho for this grill that can't be a difficult task. I don't have any machine shop or wood working tools, maybe I'll buy a frame from you! Stay tuned on this.
Bill
ps- I just got my sub a few days ago, the metal is not looking as 'bad' as it initially did, but I still think I'd prefer cloth for a bit more refined look, and match my Focal 3-way's.

We emailed you the detailed grille drawing, and also shipped two sets of grille pins and two badges - should be all you need to build a pair of SB-2000 MDF grilles. Good luck!

Ed Mullen 06-06-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo2go (Post 58147884)
Any chance of the gloss white sb 2000 coming back in stock?

Nothing has been discussed or announced about that internally - I'll keep an eye out for it.

rjcrum 06-21-2019 10:49 AM

Any chance of general availability of the drawings and parts to make a cloth grill for the SB-2000? I, too, would like something different from the metal grill.

Thanks,
Bob

KenM10759 06-21-2019 05:27 PM

I know from some older posts on this forum that SVS is missing out on many sales opportunities with the '2000' series subs just because of that perforated metal grille. I'm going to be making a couple of wood-framed flat ones soon, and will let you know how they work out.

It would be ethically wrong for me to use their drawings to make and sell them, so I'll not do that without the blessing of SVS. I also cannot in good conscious share the drawing for the same reasons, it's proprietary and their property.

Hopefully they'll see this opportunity to make many existing customers happy and offer them, but also offer a choice when buying.

DennisFP 07-17-2019 04:26 AM

Hi

Did you succed in making your own grill, just ordered a SB-2000, and would like to do the same :-)

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards Dennis

DennisFP 07-17-2019 08:29 AM

@SVS

Hi

Any chance I can get the drawings for the grill?

Have a nice summer :cool:

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Dennis

Thomas van Ardenne 07-28-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisFP (Post 58306950)
@SVS

Any chance I can get the drawings for the grill?

I would be interested in those details too!

KenM10759 08-20-2019 05:58 PM

I may have 3 completed soon. One for Bill G, one for me, and one for ?? Trouble is, I only have enough logo plates and push-pins for two.

I have over $100 in materials and tooling to make these 3. The tooling cost can be amortized over time if I make more, but to be honest it's more work than one might think to nail all the dimensions. If I was to make more than a few, I would really want to make a couple of router templates with aluminum tooling plate and 4 drill bushings. I haven't started building a CNC router yet, so for now I'm using CNC metalworking machinery and it's not built for the speeds of true woodworking routers.

I think SVS should make a run of them, really. I do NOT wish to cut into their business and am just happy for now to have the ability to make a couple. I'm very grateful that @Ed Mullen could share what he did!

KenM10759 08-24-2019 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting there. Some paint and fabric to go.

KenM10759 08-25-2019 03:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Though the interest in this project appears to be dead, I thought I'd share the finished result just the same.

They came out very close to perfect. There's a picture below of one installed on my SB2000. It's just awesome!

Paul Power 09-05-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenM10759 (Post 58471312)
Though the interest in this project appears to be dead, I thought I'd share the finished result just the same.

They came out very close to perfect. There's a picture below of one installed on my SB2000. It's just awesome!

I live in Australia, can you please send me the the drawings for the grill frame so I can make a set for my SB2000's? Thanks in advance.

Paul

KenM10759 09-06-2019 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Power (Post 58519332)
I live in Australia, can you please send me the the drawings for the grill frame so I can make a set for my SB2000's? Thanks in advance.

Paul

If you mean me, regrets, but no I can't.

I had asked @SVS if I could get a 3rd set of the hardware (pins and logo plate) to finish the 3rd one I'd made. I always start an extra in case something goes wrong. When I sent in the request I mentioned that I had not shared the drawing because I respect their intellectual property rights and wouldn't do that without their permission. The response was cordial. They sent the hardware and said I could sell that 3rd one I've made, but were also adamant that I continue to honor their rights and NOT share.

To be clear this was a one-time opportunity to help a couple of good, repeat SVS customers (myself and @Wgosma ) with a specific need and it's not our privilege to spread that info. I will direct any other requests directly to SVS Customer Support (the BEST in the audio world!!) via their website and let them decide who they trust. Don't be offended if they don't share. I let them know I have the right knowledge, experience and equipment to make a high quality part right to spec, not everyone does. I can envision the wrong person making junk that doesn't fit and then publicly berating SVS for having poor engineering! They DON'T!

Paul Power 09-08-2019 05:05 PM

Thanks Ken. I wasn't wanting the pins or the badge, or the cloth, just the timber frame plan, and I would work out the rest here, even if it may be a pain to get it to fit. I wouldn't expect SVS to send me anything for free to Australia anyway.

And I wasn't interested in doing them for money for others either, just to do my SB2000.

But totally understand the issue with what you promised SVS, don't want to get you or anyone in any sort of trouble.

If you do ask them and they agree that would be wonderful, I would be very grateful if that is at all possible.

Cheers
Paul

KenM10759 09-09-2019 06:10 PM

Folks, I think it's time I let it be known that SVS really can't go any further with sending out that highly-technical drawing. Losing control would definitely impact their intellectual property rights. As a former pro-photographer who had a large company steal one of my photos and use it in an ad without paying me, I know what loss of control can mean. I'm no longer in the business.

When I initially asked about it, it was not my intention to actually make any. Rather, I just wanted to buy one. It was @Wgosma who managed to get SVS to concede and send him the drawing. I hadn't seen it when I agreed to make two, one for him and one for me. When I did finally get it, the degree of technical details in it was a shock.

Because I'm a machinist by trade, I knew even my skilled woodworker son could do little more than make the square blank. Without full CNC toolpaths, there's no way to meet the specs. Because my employer allowed me to use their CNC metalworking machinery with tooling I bought, I was able to nail all dimensions within a confirmed (inspected by an objective 3rd party) 0.1mm of the print. If it wasn't done to that degree, it just wouldn't fit right and make a high quality subwoofer look like a DIY project.

All I can suggest is that those who want one continue to be patient. I can't suggest, let alone promise, that SVS will have a batch made and sell them but there's always hope.

Paul Power 09-11-2019 02:40 PM

Thanks Ken. I totally understand everything you said, and no arguements at all. I was just asking, and if it ends up being allowed then that's great, or if they do end up selling them as an accessory then even better, but its never a bad thing to ask. Thanks again for your assistance. :)

KenM10759 09-15-2019 05:05 AM

I do wish a couple of people who posted in this thread earlier would check their private messages.

KenM10759 09-17-2019 04:36 AM

Well, since I can't get even a 'thanks but no thanks' via PM's to a couple people, I've now posted the only available flat, black fabric-covered grill made to SVS specs ever made...in the classified section of this forum.