Moxi HD DVR - Page 140 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 177Likes

post #4171 of 7529 Old 10-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my Moxi for about two weeks now and thought I'd post my thoughts for others who may be considering purchasing one. I did receive mine used off of ebay so it isn't new but in very good condition. First off, my cable card install went smoothly although it did take about two hours, only because of Comcast. Tech who showed up was very knowledgeable. Second, the interface does take some getting use to if all you've ever had is a Cable dvr box. Some do not like the vertical guide but I love it. It shows more information and you can switch it to a grid guide if you so chose. Third, Medial Link which is a way to bring video\\music\\photos from your computer to your Moxi. Moxi provides you with a license to software called PlayOn which allows you to stream Netflix, Hulu, MLB, PBS, ESPN and other content. I use it just for Hulu primarily and the picture could be better. This may be my computer (virtual machine on my Macbook Pro). It works though and is a nice addition. The PlayOn Software is Windows Only. So far so good with my Moxi experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 7529 Old 10-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

I'm no expert by any means, but doesn't the cable card have some role in the SNR ??? If the TWC STB reads at one level and the Moxi is at another, doesn't the signal have to go through the cable card first? Just asking..... (as I do not know....).

no the signal DOES NOT go thru the cable card. it's a seperatable device that the box uses for authorization. all new twc stb have cablecard as well as part of fcc mandate.
post #4173 of 7529 Old 10-24-2010, 04:36 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I was just curious if anyone ever thought about or researched building their own Moxi capability? I am going to research building a media center PC with the Ceton cable tuner card (4 tuners). In this scenario, I would also obtain two media extenders (Xbox 360's, for example).

From a quick glance, it looks like this could be done for close to the price of 3-tuner Moxi with two mates.

Thoughts?

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

I have this setup with a HDHomerun tuner and Xbox 360 extender. I also thought this would be a good solution. Media Center does have some nice features but there also are the downsides. 99 times out of a 100 I watch TV through the Moxi rather than media center. It is just simpler to use. In my opinion advantage goes to Moxi for the following reasons:

1) Less steps to watch TV. Just turn on TV. Media Center requires you to turn on Xbox, navigate through menus to Media Center then wait for it to connect and load. Oh, and make sure your computer is on. If it is in hibernate, you have to go into the other room and turn it on.

2) Energy consumption. Xbox 360 is by no means energy efficient. And for convenience you will probably want your PC on the whole time for reason no. 1 above. They aren't energy efficient either.

3) Noise. Xbox 360's are noisy, although the newest design is supposedly quieter. No noise from Moxi Mates.

4) No online scheduling in Media Center.

Thanks for your comments, T

Regarding point #1) I thought I heard (on the HT Geeks podcast interview with S1 Digital), the Xbox 360 has a Windows Media Center only mode, so that when you turn it on, you see the WMC interface. I could be wrong on this, and they may have been discussing that media center PC's have this feature.

Regarding point #4) On The Digital Lifestyle.com podcast #241, they discussed an application called "Remote Potato", which allows on-line scheduling with WMC in Windows 7. They noted that Windows Vista had on-line scheduling with Media Center, but now an application is required.

I think as time goes on, the gap in differences between a Moxi setup and a WMC PC with extenders will narrow, at least for the technically inclined.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4174 of 7529 Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 AM

So I was having problems with playback with a WD Green drive installed internally. Based on what I read here I installed a WD Caviar Black 1TB internal hard drive and left the green drive as my external drive. Surprisingly (note the sarcasm) my Moxi continued to have pause and stutter problems.
I remember reading on here that the internal drive fills up first then the external drive and I was on around 20% full so I thought I had a bad WD Black drive. I disconnected the external green drive and everything works fine now. Don't use green drives...period.
post #4175 of 7529 Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I posted a few weeks ago about missing channels and I found the answer. Charter in the Madison WI area has switched to SDV. A tuning adapter solved all of the channel issues.

I'll hold my comments on Charter
post #4176 of 7529 Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by toille27 View Post

I disconnected the external green drive and everything works fine now. Don't use green drives...period.

And don't use the Apricorn 1TB drive with your Moxi. I bought the 1TB Apricorn DVR eXpander model and found it was incompatible with the Moxi. Once setup it appeared fine, but every show I recorded at that point would stutter and have repeated, long pauses in both audio and video. A tech at Moxi told me I had purchased the only DVR expander external drive they knew of that would would not work with the Moxi. I since purchased a Western Digital 1TB external that works flawlessly.

If anyone needs an almost new Apricorn 1TB for some other purpose let me know! I have about a C note in it and would part with it for 1/2 of that.
post #4177 of 7529 Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Let me repost this just in case anyone is looking for an external drive.

ADDING External Storage to your MOXI

Problem:
500GB is not enough space on the MOXI HD
Internal harddrive not swappable
DVR Certified External Drives too expensive
Homebrewed Internal SATA Harddrive with both USB/eSATA interfaces not reliable with Linux OS. Random disconnects.
Enclosure with only eSATA are not readily available.

SOLUTION:

Avoid the enclosures all together. Connect an SATA drive directly to your Moxi HD using a SATA to eSATA cable.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00180F236

Use AC power adapter to power your harddrive
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OORMVQ

From what I gather the Seagate Pipeline and Western Digital Green drives should be fine.

GOOD LUCK!

Note: This is not supported, endorsed nor recommended by Moxi. Please do not call them for help with this since they only recommend DVR certified esata devices.
post #4178 of 7529 Old 10-27-2010, 11:03 AM

Is anyone having problems with streaming from Netflix via your Moxi? I don't usually use my Moxi because of my 360 or PS3, but I have tried it a couple of times recently and have been disappointed. I even tried it on my Mate the other night because I was in the basement and it was a problem there too. I was having issues with the sound and then it eventually just turned Netflix off. I then went upstairs to see if I would have problems on my PS3, nope, the movie played in HD flawlessly. So is there an issue either with the Moxi or is this a PlayOn problem? Anyone else having problems?

Nick

360 GT: Nicky D
post #4179 of 7529 Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyD View Post

Is anyone having problems with streaming from Netflix via your Moxi? I don't usually use my Moxi because of my 360 or PS3, but I have tried it a couple of times recently and have been disappointed. I even tried it on my Mate the other night because I was in the basement and it was a problem there too. I was having issues with the sound and then it eventually just turned Netflix off. I then went upstairs to see if I would have problems on my PS3, nope, the movie played in HD flawlessly. So is there an issue either with the Moxi or is this a PlayOn problem? Anyone else having problems?

I had similar issues recently trying to stream Netflix through the Moxi. Upgrading PlayOn to the lastest version solved the problem.
post #4180 of 7529 Old 10-27-2010, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Enclosure with only eSATA are not readily available.

From what I gather the Seagate Pipeline and Western Digital Green drives should be fine.

Two points;

This enclosure works fine: http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/alexsaiiesdr.html

I am not sure where you gathered, but at least 4 people have reported that the WD green drives DO NOT WORK in a Moxi, either internal or external. The WD Black drives are known to function, as well as the Seagate Pipeline or LP series.

Robert
post #4181 of 7529 Old 10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

Two points;

This enclosure works fine: http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/alexsaiiesdr.html

I am not sure where you gathered, but at least 4 people have reported that the WD green drives DO NOT WORK in a Moxi, either internal or external. The WD Black drives are known to function, as well as the Seagate Pipeline or LP series.

WD GREEN DRIVES DO WORK. I have been using a WD Green drive (wd15eads) for almost a year now without any problems. Some enclosures have internal circuitry that can cause problems. Using a direct SATA to eSATA cable is the best way to go since it is a direct connection. See my links above.

The drive below is the one I am using.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=575
post #4182 of 7529 Old 10-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Good evening fellow Moxi owners.

Due to repeated pixelation (repeatable) I feel the need to swap out hard drives on my Moxi. I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the internals of the unit. I am not tech-savvy at all and therefore a little gun-shy on swapping out the drive itself.

Planning on using either a 1TB or 1.5TB WD Caviar Black drive to replace the problematic Seagate. I know I need a set of Torx screwdrivers to open the unit up (can anyone provide a link for the correct set?). And I know what a hard drive looks like...that is about the limit of my comfort level with this project.

If one of the folks that have already swapped out drives could confirm the order of the swap...that would be a big help. This is how I understand it to work:

1. Disconnect all cables
2. Take old hard drive out
3. Install new drive
4. Connect cables (certainly the network cable)
5. Many finger press to get to the Moxi software re-install screen.
6. Wait while the new drive is formatted.

Not sure if having a Mate throws a wrench into those steps or not, but I do have a Mate (connected via MoCA).

The Moxi is out of warranty, and I would like to add some extra storage, so paying the Moxi folks to do it doesn't seem like the best plan. I would like to go without the external drive at least at this point.

Certainly would appreciate any help or guidance on this matter.

Thanks,
Skid

BOTJ Member... Onk 705 FW 1.06
post #4183 of 7529 Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid71 View Post

Planning on using either a 1TB or 1.5TB WD Caviar Black drive to replace the problematic Seagate. I know I need a set of Torx screwdrivers to open the unit up (can anyone provide a link for the correct set?). And I know what a hard drive looks like...that is about the limit of my comfort level with this project.

From an earlier post:

Not much to be afraid of on the inside. It's pretty basic.

post #4184 of 7529 Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid71 View Post

Good evening fellow Moxi owners.

I know I need a set of Torx screwdrivers to open the unit up (can anyone provide a link for the correct set?).

These should do the trick:

http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-902-09...8241346&sr=8-1
post #4185 of 7529 Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post

SNR level the same before and after connecting tuning adaptor. Is there a way to look at signal strength on the Moxi? I just tried a new test on channels 703/708 (freq 759). I looked at SNR when tuned on Moxi (27). Then I took Moxi offline and replaced with Samsung STB from TWC. Its diagnostic screen shows SNR of 35, but interestingly its "POWER" reading was -11.0 (lower frequency channels had power more like -7). Something must be going on? Why would SNR be lower on Moxi, and why is power higher on these frequencies?

Up here in TWC UWS territory I've had similar problems arise about 4 months ago. A SNR < 30 yields a dodgy PQ. On some channels, eg., YES, it is intermittent on others, SOL. I had TWC stop by in August but the tech did not have any CableCards to swap out. I rescheduled but TWC pulled a "no-show." My life has gotten too busy to deal with it now but it is clearly a TWC issue; before July things were generally spot on.

If they equivocate with you then give them the "what for." Really wished the FCC had the cajones to ditch the CableCard/TA stupidity. I can only hope for 1) FIOS to come to Washington Heights -- I'll be dead and buried before it makes it up here. or 2) Hassle TWC to get their act together. -- An equally futile effort. Generally, I like the Moxi but getting a proper signal is as rare as hen's teeth. On my crappy TWC box to a std def TV things are okay though for several weeks the std channels; 2,4,5,7, etc. were kaput but then mysteriously reappeared last week.

The take home lesson here is, "It is not the Moxi nor poor internal wiring but crappy TWC NYC signals.

Good luck, my friend

Don't you just wish HDMI would crawl off to some darkened corner and die a sad, lonely death?
post #4186 of 7529 Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

WD GREEN DRIVES DO WORK. I have been using a WD Green drive (wd15eads) for almost a year now without any problems. Some enclosures have internal circuitry that can cause problems. Using a direct SATA to eSATA cable is the best way to go since it is a direct connection. See my links above.

Please confirm whether you are using your WD Green Drive in a Two-Tuner or a Three-Tuner Moxi?

I would advise against anyone using a WD Green Drive in the Three-Tuner Moxi. (The Two-Tuner Moxi is a different story.)
post #4187 of 7529 Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

These should do the trick:

http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-902-09...8241346&sr=8-1

You do not need a Torx screwdriver to open up a Moxi. (Unless Moxi changed the screws in the last couple of months. And if that is the case, sorry for the misinformation.)
post #4188 of 7529 Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

Two points;

This is the enclosure that I use and I haven't had an issue. The only downside is that I had to buy it from that site and not a site I use more often.
post #4189 of 7529 Old 10-28-2010, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

Up here in TWC UWS territory I've had similar problems arise about 4 months ago. A SNR < 30 yields a dodgy PQ. On some channels, eg., YES, it is intermittent on others, SOL. I had TWC stop by in August but the tech did not have any CableCards to swap out. I rescheduled but TWC pulled a "no-show." My life has gotten too busy to deal with it now but it is clearly a TWC issue; before July things were generally spot on.

If they equivocate with you then give them the "what for." Really wished the FCC had the cajones to ditch the CableCard/TA stupidity. I can only hope for 1) FIOS to come to Washington Heights -- I'll be dead and buried before it makes it up here. or 2) Hassle TWC to get their act together. -- An equally futile effort. Generally, I like the Moxi but getting a proper signal is as rare as hen's teeth. On my crappy TWC box to a std def TV things are okay though for several weeks the std channels; 2,4,5,7, etc. were kaput but then mysteriously reappeared last week.

The take home lesson here is, "It is not the Moxi nor poor internal wiring but crappy TWC NYC signals.

Good luck, my friend

Thanks for the kind words. Good to see I am not only one here with TWC issues, even Upper East Side. For what it is worth, my SNR issues are ONLY on frequencies 759 and 795, and my working hypothesis is that there is some magic to what happens on frequencies over 750. The channels started breaking when it rained last night, but are back to OK now.

NOTE JUST IN: The three channels on frequency 759 (703, 708 and 748) have been moved to frequency 537. SNR has improved from 27 to 34. TWC may not admit they have a problem, but they seem to be fixing it at least for the more frequently watched channels on 759. Still an issue on 795.
post #4190 of 7529 Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 PM

I was hoping someone here can help me with a problem I am experiencing. My moxi DVR has been working perfectly for 6 weeks. Then one morning I woke up to a black screen saying "you do not subscribe to this channel please call customer service"
I had cablevision come and swap out the cable cards where it then worked for a couple of hours, then it stopped working again, the same exact thing.

I called moxi customer service and ran through the diagnostics of the cable card and they agree with CV that the card seems to be working fine and the problem lies somewhere else.

Does anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks
post #4191 of 7529 Old 10-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5126 View Post

Does anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks

Is there a Tuning Adapter (for Switched Digital Video) in your configuration? If so it might need to be synced with your Moxi. My Moxi sometimes displays that message momentarily after changing channels - apparently while it syncs up on a SDV channel. You'd likely need to power off/wait-a-bit/on the TA, the Moxi, or both.

Good luck. Post your outcome.
post #4192 of 7529 Old 10-28-2010, 02:10 PM

thanks for your quick response but I do not use a tuning adapter
post #4193 of 7529 Old 10-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

Please confirm whether you are using your WD Green Drive in a Two-Tuner or a Three-Tuner Moxi?

I would advise against anyone using a WD Green Drive in the Three-Tuner Moxi. (The Two-Tuner Moxi is a different story.)

I have a two tuner Moxi and have tried a WD10EACS as an external and a WD10EVDS as an internal and external. They cause hangs and in some cases restarts of the Moxi.

When external I was using the cooldrives enclosure mentioned above. The Seagate Pipeline in the cooldrives enclosure is working fine.

Robert
post #4194 of 7529 Old 10-28-2010, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5126 View Post

I was hoping someone here can help me with a problem I am experiencing. My moxi DVR has been working perfectly for 6 weeks. Then one morning I woke up to a black screen saying "you do not subscribe to this channel please call customer service"

This is pretty common. If it happens on one channel, flip away and then back and it will probably resolve.

If it happens across a batch of channels and is constant then the cableco has messed up your account details and they need to reauthorize your account.

If it happens intermittently on various channels in different tiers and flipping channels doesn't fix it then the problem is either a faulty card, faulty Moxi or cable signal issue.

You've already swapped the card so that leaves just the other two.

post #4195 of 7529 Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

I have the three-tuner Moxi. The WD Green Drive is my external drive.
post #4196 of 7529 Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 AM

I don't use the ticker all the time but about once per week. A couple times recently it showed information from more than a week ago then updated after about 5 minutes. Does the Ticker not update until you use it? If so, why does it take so long to update (10 mbps broadband)? TIA
post #4197 of 7529 Old 11-03-2010, 05:51 AM

So I'm thinking of getting a Moxi, we have TWC and Road Runner. We really don't watch Cable channels that often, only the local Channels. I bought a Tivo about 8 months ago to use with OTA, well it turns out our OTA signals were so unreliable that we just abandoned that and went back to cable. Well I come to find out that if you have just TWC Roadrunner service, you still receive their QAM Local channels in HD. So I am thinking of dropping my Cable TV and going this route with the Moxi...

WILL THIS WORK? No cable card just QAM channels??? Also will I have access to all 3 tuners then too?

Thanks for any info!

TWC Milwaukee - HTPC with Windows Media Center
post #4198 of 7529 Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster109 View Post

So I'm thinking of getting a Moxi, we have TWC and Road Runner. We really don't watch Cable channels that often, only the local Channels. I bought a Tivo about 8 months ago to use with OTA, well it turns out our OTA signals were so unreliable that we just abandoned that and went back to cable. Well I come to find out that if you have just TWC Roadrunner service, you still receive their QAM Local channels in HD. So I am thinking of dropping my Cable TV and going this route with the Moxi...

WILL THIS WORK? No cable card just QAM channels??? Also will I have access to all 3 tuners then too?

Thanks for any info!

Yes, Moxi will map QAM channels so it will work for you. Since most channels like abc, cbs, fox etc are on basic I do not think you will have to worry about SDV so you should be able to use all 3 tuners.
post #4199 of 7529 Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yes, JediMaster109, these are exactly the droids you are looking for.

Yes it should work. Many people do this with comcast too.
I use a 2-tuner moxi thusly with comcast.
Yes you will have access to all 3 tuners for the unencrypted QAM channels, the "locals". In addition to the "locals", you should also get these via your MOXI or other QAM tuner:
the weather channel and a bunch of home shopping networks and c-span and local-access-channels.
post #4200 of 7529 Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks everybody, I just ordered one from Amazon! I hope it works as well as I'm expecting, it wil be so nice to save $60+ a month, the Moxi will pay for itself in 10 months

And SDV is a nightmare from my experience, tried it with a tivo for a few days, wouldn't even pull in the local channels properly...

Any tips or tricks for the Moxi when I get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

Yes, JediMaster109, these are exactly the droids you are looking for.

Yes it should work. Many people do this with comcast too.
I use a 2-tuner moxi thusly with comcast.
Yes you will have access to all 3 tuners for the unencrypted QAM channels, the "locals". In addition to the "locals", you should also get these via your MOXI or other QAM tuner:
the weather channel and a bunch of home shopping networks and c-span and local-access-channels.

TWC Milwaukee - HTPC with Windows Media Center
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page