177Likes

post #6451 of 7531 Old 02-08-2015, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post
I simply went the Moxi HDD thread and referenced a well rated model, ordered from Amazon, and followed the "4 finger press" process to swap out the broken, old drive and install the new drive and reload the software.

I knew I would lose the recorded library and (worse) all of the setup on time shifting had to be done from scratch. Almost like starting with a new unit. I did not realize (or care) that Moxi might track this event and penalize me later by not honoring warranties (which had expired) or repair requests (which there have not been any required so far).

Having 2 units provides for 6 concurrent recording slots and for time shifting we rarely record in HD so as to have a large capacity. Often, we can watch the prior nights shows while recording the current ones and commercial skipping is the major feature for these activities. One big gripe (difficult to adjust after the fact) are the networks can't tell time and often run over time slots routinely forcing the use of overlapping recording slots (adjusting the start and end windows in the Moxi setup) which limits the use of the tuners. Minor complaints compared to having to a use an expensive, un-user friendly cable company provided DVR.

The biggest relief turned into a major disappointment when Arris bought Moxi. While they "saved" the company short term, their decision to discontinue the line and spin off to providing units only to cable companies may have been good business but left us "hobbyists" to fend for ourselves. At least they have kept the guide service interface and web site running (but at the same time "sneakily" removing features like the ticker). They have no reason to provide updates or improvements (and the Moxi business model of one large payment up front with no sustainment revenue was risky from the start).

Sorry for the long editorial but we are passionate users of the product and do not look forward to when these may become obsolete. Certainly the streaming services will eventually take over (if they have not already) but then we will be prisoners to monthly subscription fees and internet bandwidth tariffs for sure.
I read a thread on here a software you can use to make a copy of the hard drive moxi provided it appears to fix the hard drive and copy it on to a new hard drive when you install it back into the Moxi it as nothing was changed out Moxi hasn't a clue you changed the hard drive.

When I can afford to I will build my own HTPC hit will have a 6channel card installed that way I can raid the HDD's always have a copy when a drive dies.

Once the warranty stops on this unit I'll make a copy of HDD put it on a new HDD for DVR not a NAS HDD. I think that's whatn Moxi has used is a NAS HDD from seagate have to find out the model # for it. I don't know what they used this time they don't seem to want to tell me. YET.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 7531 Old 02-08-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I'm getting a "Program Guide Update Failed" message when I tried to force an update. It says the following in the diagnostics menu:

Home Network Connection --> Active
Internet Connection -->. Active
Moxi Service Connection --> "Failed to connect to Moxi service"

What's wrong? All my TV channels are not coming in... Disconnected and re-seated all connections to my TA and Moxi in the back.
I can log in ok into my Moxi account and it shows the programs scheduled for recording...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6453 of 7531 Old 02-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 55
reboot moca/powerline adapter(or whatever connection you have to moxi) and moxi itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6454 of 7531 Old 02-08-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
reboot moca/powerline adapter(or whatever connection you have to moxi) and moxi itself.

Did so... and now its back to the "Moxi checking your hard drive..." stage. Last few times, it lasted an hour(or more) at this stage before screen came up. This is my 2nd HD on my 3T Moxi, 1 TB.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6455 of 7531 Old 02-08-2015, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
I'm getting a "Program Guide Update Failed" message when I tried to force an update. It says the following in the diagnostics menu:

Home Network Connection --> Active
Internet Connection -->. Active
Moxi Service Connection --> "Failed to connect to Moxi service"

What's wrong? All my TV channels are not coming in... Disconnected and re-seated all connections to my TA and Moxi in the back.
I can log in ok into my Moxi account and it shows the programs scheduled for recording...
Check your internet connection. What does it say about your connection?
Mine just stopped working after rebooting went into setup mood, it was going to reformat and reinstall the software but during a test no internet connection so it could not go any further rebooted few more time same thing I ended up getting RMA and sending it back in they sent me a replacement for $250 1yr warranty. I assume the ethernet on the mobo went bad?
post #6456 of 7531 Old 02-08-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Connection is active as described earlier. Its the connection to moxi server that's a proble, BTW. ts still checking the disk drive for the past 30min or more...

post #6457 of 7531 Old 02-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Your hdd almost toast.
post #6458 of 7531 Old 02-08-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yup ... Moxi "decided" to be up and running now. But for how long???

post #6459 of 7531 Old 02-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Yup ... Moxi "decided" to be up and running now. But for how long???
Sure looks like the pattern behavior of a HDD failure in the making. The hard drive is the most used "mechanical" part of the system so while disappointing that they fail not that uncommon given the demands. The fact that you can swap out a drive for around $100 or so is not that bad.
post #6460 of 7531 Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Yep, I bought a spare 2TB HDD just to be prepared for a failure. Although maybe that jinxed it as both my Moxi's s are still strong on their original HDD's.
post #6461 of 7531 Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post
Sure looks like the pattern behavior of a HDD failure in the making. The hard drive is the most used "mechanical" part of the system so while disappointing that they fail not that uncommon given the demands. The fact that you can swap out a drive for around $100 or so is not that bad.
Sad since these drives are rated for Live video recording 24/7/365...

post #6462 of 7531 Old 02-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

How long did it last?
post #6463 of 7531 Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Still 'working' but its moody. It sometimes freezes for 10-15 minutes (!) and then continues. This is the less egregious of the problem. It's when I reset the Moxi and then it gets stuck for an hour(!) on the boot process...

post #6464 of 7531 Old 02-17-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a Moxi Mate

My Moxi is still alive and kicking (on hard drive #3 ), so I plan to run it till it dies.

Does anyone have a Moxi Mate they're looking to sell? Please PM me.

Thanks.
post #6465 of 7531 Old 02-17-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you saying you are on your 3rd drive for this Moxi?

post #6466 of 7531 Old 02-18-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Are you saying you are on your 3rd drive for this Moxi?
Yes. I've replaced the HDD twice in this unit. Still seems to make more sense than paying a monthly rental + service fee for a crappy cable co DVR.

I'm basically waiting (and waiting...) for a cord-cutting solution that my wife and kids can use without me having to play tech support all the time. I just haven't found one that's seamless enough yet.
post #6467 of 7531 Old 02-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

don't ever cut that cord my friend.
post #6468 of 7531 Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Still 'working' but its moody. It sometimes freezes for 10-15 minutes (!) and then continues. This is the less egregious of the problem. It's when I reset the Moxi and then it gets stuck for an hour(!) on the boot process...
we should've phrased question better. how long has the current hard drive been installed?
post #6469 of 7531 Old 02-18-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since June 2013...

Last edited by dmusoke; 02-20-2015 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Changed the purchase date of my Seagate drive...no defunct?
post #6470 of 7531 Old 02-18-2015, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by htevolution View Post
My Moxi is still alive and kicking (on hard drive #3 ), so I plan to run it till it dies.

Does anyone have a Moxi Mate they're looking to sell? Please PM me.

Thanks.
I picked up 2 via eBay over the last 2 years. They are great, and zippy compared the my original 2 tuner moxi they are slaved to.

Set up an alert on eBay to watch for anything Moxi related, and use Buy-it-now to grab it to avoid disappointment.

I've had the Moxi since the original offering, and am 4 years into my 2nd hard drive, a Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda LP.
tveli likes this.
post #6471 of 7531 Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
we should've phrased question better. how long has the current hard drive been installed?
Quote:
Since June 2013...
I think my 2TB Seagate drive finally gave up the ghost(?). My Moxi froze last night and I decided to re-install the firmware on the same drive using the 4FP method. I was stuck all night long on the Initialization screen... Then I woke up this morning and it was still at the same screen. I reset it and the setup screen came up this time, which is what I had wanted to do all along.

Now it is stuck in the setup screen saying "There is a problem connecting to the Moxi service"... All my connections have been solid for the past 1.5 yrs since this new drive had been operating. I reseated/replaced/swapped Ethernet/USB/RF cables all to no avail. I placed a supported call to Moxi today but no sure if they'll answer me back.

I decided to order a 2TB Western Digital purple drive meant for surveillance( or so they say). The Seagate was meant for the same app but its died in less than 2 years.

1. Does re-installing the SW 'cure' a bad drive that could have been going bad?

2. Can the service connection problem be caused by a potentially bad drive?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by dmusoke; 02-20-2015 at 02:45 PM.
post #6472 of 7531 Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks,
David
I have only replaced an HDD once with a 1TB drive. Go into the Moxi HDD thread and there are very detailed instructions (which I followed explicitly) and they worked the first time.

As far as I know, no one has ever reported or claimed that reloading the SW "fixed" a failed HDD. It is possible that the SW upload process reformats the drive and maybe bad sectors could be spared but I do not recall reading in these threads that anyone has reported that scenario.

As for the "service connection" error, the detailed instructions suggest some router settings to ensure the ports used to download the SW are not being blocked; this varies by ISP potentially as well and can be difficult to troubleshoot unless you have exceptional networking tools and skills.

Good luck; keep us posted.
post #6473 of 7531 Old 02-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think my 2TB Seagate drive finally gave up the ghost(?). My Moxi froze last night and I decided to re-install the firmware on the same drive using the 4FP method. I was stuck all night long on the Initialization screen... Then I woke up this morning and it was still at the same screen. I reset it and the setup screen came up this time, which is what I had wanted to do all along.

Now it is stuck in the setup screen saying "There is a problem connecting to the Moxi service"... All my connections have been solid for the past 1.5 yrs since this new drive had been operating. I reseated/replaced/swapped Ethernet/USB/RF cables all to no avail. I placed a supported call to Moxi today but no sure if they'll answer me back.

I decided to order a 2TB Western Digital purple drive meant for surveillance( or so they say). The Seagate was meant for the same app but its died in less than 2 years.

Thanks,
David
I believe the original Seagate hard drive went out in 2 years. onsider your warrany voided via email which i'm sure already expired after contacting support. The WD drive should last longer. Check out this article about hard drives: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=39283
post #6474 of 7531 Old 02-20-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks all for the help and advice on fixing my problem. I found the following solutions to my problem.

1. I replaced the drive with a new WD Purple drive(2TB, meant for 24hr surveillance tasks) that I ordered and received today from Amazon. Fast service indeed!

2. A bad drive CAN and WILL give you "Moxi Service Connection Problems" errors! I wasn't aware that the two could be related...(they do on planet Mongo in the Moxi galaxy).

3. As usual. Moxi customer service is BS... They refused to help me diagnose my "Moxi Service Connect" problems. By definition, its their service that's having problems...

Now I'm in the middle of hopefully pairing my CC to my Moxi but its been 15 minutes and still can't get some of my channels (CNN, FOXNews, MSNBC etc) but i can get the basic broadcast channels(ABC,CBS,NBC) plus PBS. How long should I wait to get my other channels?

post #6475 of 7531 Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks all for the help and advice on fixing my problem. I found the following solutions to my problem.

1. I replaced the drive with a new WD Purple drive(2TB, meant for 24hr surveillance tasks) that I ordered and received today from Amazon. Fast service indeed!

2. A bad drive CAN and WILL give you "Moxi Service Connection Problems" errors! I wasn't aware that the two could be related...(they do on planet Mongo in the Moxi galaxy).

3. As usual. Moxi customer service is BS... They refused to help me diagnose my "Moxi Service Connect" problems. By definition, its their service that's having problems...

Now I'm in the middle of hopefully pairing my CC to my Moxi but its been 15 minutes and still can't get some of my channels (CNN, FOXNews, MSNBC etc) but i can get the basic broadcast channels(ABC,CBS,NBC) plus PBS. How long should I wait to get my other channels?
make sure your tv provider updates your Data ID when you replace a hard drive. its in the pairing menu.
post #6476 of 7531 Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Will do....thanks!

post #6477 of 7531 Old 02-20-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Problem ...

My cable company tech support gave up after almost 1 hour on the phone with me. They have all my info about the cable card and still can't resolve my problem. I get the basic channels but not the top tier ones(cnn, foxnews, msnbc, syfy etc). Wheneevr I tune to any of these channels, I'm taken into the CC menu on the Moxi. It lists the CC ID, Host ID and Data ID. TWC said they have this information already and things should be good on my end but the are not.

We've rebooted the TA, Moxi box, disconnected/reconnected the USB cable between the TA and Moxi(per TWC instructions) and still my top tier channels pop me into the CC menu. What else should I do?

TWC says I should call Moxi but that as we know is a deadend since I opened up their box...

post #6478 of 7531 Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Problem ...

My cable company tech support gave up after almost 1 hour on the phone with me. They have all my info about the cable card and still can't resolve my problem. I get the basic channels but not the top tier ones(cnn, foxnews, msnbc, syfy etc). Wheneevr I tune to any of these channels, I'm taken into the CC menu on the Moxi. It lists the CC ID, Host ID and Data ID. TWC said they have this information already and things should be good on my end but the are not.

We've rebooted the TA, Moxi box, disconnected/reconnected the USB cable between the TA and Moxi(per TWC instructions) and still my top tier channels pop me into the CC menu. What else should I do?

TWC says I should call Moxi but that as we know is a deadend since I opened up their box...

did they update your DATA ID? it changed because you changed the hdd. just tell them you made some changes on your end. it is different. you also need a CCV hit(cable card validation). There was a faq on moxi site that mentioned it.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #6479 of 7531 Old 02-21-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hooray!!!

Thanx dz2k...You guys rock... after a dismal unsuccessful evening hours with tech support last night with folks from (India/Bangladesh?), I called again per your instructions exactly and within 15 minutes TW tech support in Buffalo NY fixed it immediately. The asked for a bunch of CC tech info in addition to the ones you suggested and all is well.

post #6480 of 7531 Old 02-21-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I do lots of fast forwarding and reversing plus skipping the commercials. Does this increase wear and tear on the drive killing them off sooner than expected?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page