Moxi HD DVR - Page 228 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 177Likes

post #6811 of 7531 Old 08-06-2016, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some of you may already be aware of the internal Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe card or the external Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH. I have the internal version installed into a desktop computer that's running Windows 7 and connected to my TV. The tuner card can record up to 6 channels at the same time, and the storage limit depends on how big your hard drive might be. Just like the Moxi doesn't, it also doesn't record over-the-air (OTA), so it needs a cable feed. If you have premium channels, or specialized channels, that need a cable box, then you can rent a PCMCIA card from your cable company (mine is Comcast) that will allow you to access any premium content through any of the 6 tuners. You'll also need the free Windows Media Center (WMC), and Windows 7 and Windows 8 has it, but Microsoft elected to no longer include WMC in Win 10. Microsoft still allows you to download the program guide for many areas. There is far more information about this card out there, but I wanted to provide a very generalized post here to pass it along for you to investigate to whether this avenue could be right for you.

Anyways, I put together this system and got it up and running two years ago for either when Arris ever stopped supporting the Moxi, or my Moxi finally stopped working altogether -- that's unrelated to a bad hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 7531 Old 08-06-2016, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrington View Post
Some of you may already be aware of the internal Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe card or the external Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH. I have the internal version installed into a desktop computer that's running Windows 7 and connected to my TV. The tuner card can record up to 6 channels at the same time, and the storage limit depends on how big your hard drive might be. Just like the Moxi doesn't, it also doesn't record over-the-air (OTA), so it needs a cable feed. If you have premium channels, or specialized channels, that need a cable box, then you can rent a PCMCIA card from your cable company (mine is Comcast) that will allow you to access any premium content through any of the 6 tuners. You'll also need the free Windows Media Center (WMC), and Windows 7 and Windows 8 has it, but Microsoft elected to no longer include WMC in Win 10. Microsoft still allows you to download the program guide for many areas. There is far more information about this card out there, but I wanted to provide a very generalized post here to pass it along for you to investigate to whether this avenue could be right for you.

Anyway, I put together my system and got it up and running two years ago for either when Arris ever stopped supporting the Moxi, or my Moxi finally stopped working altogether -- that's unrelated to a bad hard drive.
That's interesting. I live in a town that has Charter as a cable provider. They have stopped using PCMCIA cable cards. Authentication is handled with a "Tuning Adapter" which they furnish. That way they don't have to send out service personnel to deal with the cards -- one less piece of equipment. But I think even the tuning adapter is not going to work forever... Arris has been making Charter's cable modems and also the customer boxes.

The service personnel complained to me about my consumer MOXI box. I had connected my main moxi box with 2 mini boxes using a MOCA connection. It seems that the MOCA frequencies were abandoned (Charter had other uses for it.) and so I had no way to hook them up with NO warning! All of a sudden it all just quit working! I had to replace it with "powerline" modules. I took my MOCA adapters to recycling.

I predict that in the future we will all be at the mercy of the cable companies for every minute of digital media we consume. Every time you play, you will pay!
post #6813 of 7531 Old 08-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xignals View Post
Yup I feared the worst today as I looked at the email. Really worried now about how long we have left. I have already decided I will be going Tivo when Moxi is done. Charter still has crap DVR's in my area and I don't have any hope they will update any time soon. I love college football too much to cut the cord. That and the wife loves all her Sunday night shows on Showtime and HBO.

As for protecting your Moix from storms and all I have all of mine on UPS. Just this evening a big store rumbled through and the power blinked. Guess what, the Moxi just kept right on going and never missed a beat. I do from time to time unplug my two three tuner units and let them "rest".

I am hoping for the best and will hang in there until the end. Lets all hope that is far far away!
I don't know if i could trust another "I pull the support and plug at some time in your lifetime" subscription so I'm hoping moxi and the cable co keep it going and going and going. I understand there will be some limitations with the technical aspects of our moxi at some point in the future though ala mpeg-4 broadcasts, etc.. However, i saw the message on the moxi was dated from the time it came out to 5 years into the future. Some cable companies also lease the retail moxi and given all the messaging sources, it may apply to those also. a couple Rovi execs already mentioned something like we don't like hardware piece of the puzzle, which TiVo is, but they tried to take it back saying no decisions were yet made. again, I hope the best for everything though. I think Tivo had a way to transfer your lifetime subscription yet I forgot the details.

do you have a model number or link for the UPS you have?

Last edited by dz2k; 08-06-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6814 of 7531 Old 08-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Good question about whether the 4FP will still work. Seems to me that the 4FP would be part of "software support" and is thus being eliminated.

I hope to use the Moxi "forever", even after any/all HD channels become unavailable, and if cable provider decides to further compress the SD channels .
post #6815 of 7531 Old 08-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Is a user based "Moxie OS Server" or download possible? Can one of our resident wizards make an ISO for download or torrent that could be placed on fresh drive?
post #6816 of 7531 Old 08-07-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
Is a user based "Moxie OS Server" or download possible? Can one of our resident wizards make an ISO for download or torrent that could be placed on fresh drive?
There is a small possibility that may work, but since the download request is linked to the hardware ID of your particular Moxi (which is probably how they can tell if you did the 4FP when you request service) then the ISO would be linked to another unit.

So even if you could use someone else's disk image to make your own fresh drive it would most likely not activate. If Arris are taking their regular servers down would the registration system for your account when you boot up a new drive still be there?

On a similar note has anybody with two Moxis swapped around working drives to see what happens? Do units operate as normal if the drive is from another box on your account?

post #6817 of 7531 Old 08-07-2016, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder if Acronis Universal Restore for Linux would work?! It'll have to be tested.

Last edited by dz2k; 08-08-2016 at 10:24 AM.
post #6818 of 7531 Old 08-07-2016, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
There is a small possibility that may work, but since the download request is linked to the hardware ID of your particular Moxi (which is probably how they can tell if you did the 4FP when you request service) then the ISO would be linked to another unit.

So even if you could use someone else's disk image to make your own fresh drive it would most likely not activate. If Arris are taking their regular servers down would the registration system for your account when you boot up a new drive still be there?

On a similar note has anybody with two Moxis swapped around working drives to see what happens? Do units operate as normal if the drive is from another box on your account?
I think those are excellent questions I certainly can't answer.

Perhaps someone who understands the technical aspects could volunteer to contact technical support and ask? I'd volunteer, but odds are I wouldn't know the right questions to ask, nor would I understand any kind of technical answer.

FWIW, I did contact tech support Friday via email after receiving The Email, and I received a quick response :-) So perhaps a response could be had in sufficient time for us to make contingency plans?

While I can't blame Arris for the decision, I'm annoyed at the timing (Olympics) and short notice. I live in a rural area, and it will be late Tuesday before the drives I ordered arrive. That doesn't leave me much time to get things done before the servers that enable the 4FP potentially go dark Thursday night. <sigh>
post #6819 of 7531 Old 08-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

There was someone on ebay years ago that was selling clean moxi hard drive images. I didnt think they would work but maybe should've asked that person if the buyers were succesful.
post #6820 of 7531 Old 08-07-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Would it be possible to buy a hard drive that is Moxi compatible & load the needed software on it without having the Moxi? I have a 2 tuner Moxi in my Florida home but I will not be in Florida until November. Since Moxi will stop supporting us, I would like to make a backup hard drive & load the software before the August 12 cutoff. Thanks
post #6821 of 7531 Old 08-07-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 221
If the servers at Arris are shutdown, then no more comms between Moxi and Arris so why would a fresh download or install of the OS (or any other action for that matter) care about a particular box ID? There'd be no more authentication between Moxi and the servers at Arris. Moxi might call but nobody will be home to answer...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6822 of 7531 Old 08-07-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
If the servers at Arris are shutdown, then no more comms between Moxi and Arris so why would a fresh download or install of the OS (or any other action for that matter) care about a particular box ID? There'd be no more authentication between Moxi and the servers at Arris. Moxi might call but nobody will be home to answer...
Since we don't know exactly how the authentication works the OS on the drive may just compare the ID in the downloaded OS and the ID on the unit locally. Plus as I mentioned before, when you boot up a fresh install you are asked to pair it with your account. If the account registration server is shut down too then it will never activate.

It could be that authentication between drives and online accounts is completely disconnected, allowing you to just put any drive anywhere but I don't see that happening. I expect they will keep security checks in place to prevent users just swapping disks full of content around.

post #6823 of 7531 Old 08-07-2016, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
I don't know if i could trust another "I pull the support and plug at some time in your lifetime" subscription so I'm hoping moxi and the cable co keep it going and going and going. I understand there will be some limitations with the technical aspects of our moxi at some point in the future though ala mpeg-4 broadcasts, etc.. However, i saw the message on the moxi was dated from the time it came out to 5 years into the future. Some cable companies also lease the retail moxi and given all the messaging sources, it may apply to those also. a couple Rovi execs already mentioned something like we don't like hardware piece of the puzzle, which TiVo is, but they tried to take it back saying no decisions were yet made. again, I hope the best for everything though. I think Tivo had a way to transfer your lifetime subscription yet I forgot the details.

do you have a model number or link for the UPS you have?
I just went to Best Buy and picked up an APC 400 or 450 VA unit that was on sale. Not really worried about hold time, I just wanted something to keep it running in the case of a quick power drop that happens all the timearound here.Check your Sunday paper, they usually run a sale on those every three or four weeks it seems.So now you guys have me really worried. I was banking on TIVO being my go to plan and now I find out they sold out to another company. Makes me think it will be like the Moxi all over again. It makes me sick to think I might have to go back to a Charter DVR. Might be time to jump to Direct TV. Ughhhh...

Last edited by Xignals; 08-07-2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: duplicate quote
post #6824 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

l if the drive is from another box on your account?[/QUOTE]

Swapping around hdd's to another unit doesnt work. It displays moxi logo then reboots over and over. I for one dont think their will be an issue with ffp after they do this. I think they're freeing up manpower/womanpower for other tasks. However, it's best to be safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
I think those are excellent questions I certainly can't answer.

Perhaps someone who understands the technical aspects could volunteer to contact technical support and ask? I'd volunteer, but odds are I wouldn't know the right questions to ask, nor would I understand any kind of technical answer.

FWIW, I did contact tech support Friday via email after receiving The Email, and I received a quick response :-) So perhaps a response could be had in sufficient time for us to make contingency plans?

While I can't blame Arris for the decision, I'm annoyed at the timing (Olympics) and short notice. I live in a rural area, and it will be late Tuesday before the drives I ordered arrive. That doesn't leave me much time to get things done before the servers that enable the 4FP potentially go dark Thursday night. <sigh>
I hope it works out. So how do your ReplayTvs work? I think you still get the guide so do u only have the option to record sd channels?

Last edited by dz2k; 08-08-2016 at 12:17 AM.
post #6825 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
So how do your ReplayTvs work? I think you still get the guide so do u only have the option to record sd channels?

We still have three RTVs in service in addition to our Moxis: I use WiRNS to serve the guide data to the RTVs; I get the guide data fom Schedules Direct, although there were a couple of other options the last I knew. The RTVs are pretty much used only by my dh (although I still use them to record documentaries I want to burn to DVD) for various reasons including being change aversive. And, he's still attached to our old SD TV <sigh>

So, he doesn't mind SD whereas SD really bothers my eyes. Go figure.

Just to clarify: I didn't contact Arris customer service about any of the technical stuff that's been discussed -- it was about my remote. I don't understand the technical issues about hardware & software support ending well enough to ask questions that would be helpful, and I have doubts I'd understand any technical answers . . . if they would answer the questions. But, the service was prompt -- I got a response to my email within an hour or so :-)

I was hoping someone with a much better understanding of the issues might volunteer to ask and share the answers will the rest of us :-)
post #6826 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Answers from Moxi Support ...

David,

Please see inline answers to your questions below:

1. Should a disk drive get damaged as they often do after 2-3 years or so, would it be possible to download a fresh OS from your servers OR are you shutting off the servers so no OS download is possible?
[Moxi Support] This is not a supported method that we have data on.

2. Would you recommend a user to clone one of their currently working hard drives onto a new drive and store it away until the current drive fails?

3. Can the cloned drive be used as a master to transfer a new OS to other Moxi's in the house without having Moxi ID issues (or other issues for that matter)?

4. Will we still be able to log into our Moxi.com accounts to set recordings, register a 'new' Moxi after a fresh OS download, set to record programs, etc?
[Moxi Support] Yes, Access to Moxi.com will still be available to use online scheduling and manage your existing account
New users will not have an option to register a new account.

5. Will the 4FP (four finger press) option to reset a Moxi still work with no issues after the shutdown?
[Moxi Support] The software recovery method was used as the last step prior to replacing the Moxi. Since the software will still be on our servers so ultimately that process should still work.

6. I have a newer software version 6.1.1.10R4BR-P.338830 on my Moxi. Will this specific version be available to me after a fresh OS install?
[Moxi Support] That is the latest software. However, the question on fresh OS install is not a supported method that we have data on.

7. Any other issues from now on that we should know about?
[Moxi Support]
Per the service message sent to you, there will be no hardware or software support. Users will only have the ability to use online scheduling and have guide data to record and playback recordings.

MOXI CUSTOMER CARE
Phone: 866-969-6694
Hours: Mon-Fri 7:00AM – 5:00 PM Pacific Time
Email: [email protected]

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #6827 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 12:11 PM

Thank you so very much for taking the time to ask . . . and to share the answers! Whew -- huge relief for me!
post #6828 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You notice answers to questions 1, 5 and 6 seem somewhat contradictory? In (1 and 6), OS download is unknown in case of a fresh download but in (5), it should work after a 4FP.

At least, they acknowledge that the servers will still be active with the latest software on them... but ot be fair, they only say they don't have data on a particular method of install we suggested. So it could work or not. We need a guinea pig...

Last edited by dmusoke; 08-08-2016 at 12:31 PM.
post #6829 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
David,

Please see inline answers to your questions below:

1. Should a disk drive get damaged as they often do after 2-3 years or so, would it be possible to download a fresh OS from your servers OR are you shutting off the servers so no OS download is possible?

2. Would you recommend a user to clone one of their currently working hard drives onto a new drive and store it away until the current drive fails?

3. Can the cloned drive be used as a master to transfer a new OS to other Moxi's in the house without having Moxi ID issues (or other issues for that matter)?

4. Will we still be able to log into our Moxi.com accounts to set recordings, register a 'new' Moxi after a fresh OS download, set to record programs, etc?
[Moxi Support] Yes, Access to Moxi.com will still be available to use online scheduling and manage your existing account
New users will not have an option to register a new account.

5. Will the 4FP (four finger press) option to reset a Moxi still work with no issues after the shutdown?
[Moxi Support] The software recovery method was used as the last step prior to replacing the Moxi. Since the software will still be on our servers so ultimately that process should still work.

6. I have a newer software version 6.1.1.10R4BR-P.338830 on my Moxi. Will this specific version be available to me after a fresh OS install?
[Moxi Support] That is the latest software. However, the question on fresh OS install is not a supported method that we have data on.

7. Any other issues from now on that we should know about?
[Moxi Support]
Per the service message sent to you, there will be no hardware or software support. Users will only have the ability to use online scheduling and have guide data to record and playback recordings.

MOXI CUSTOMER CARE
Phone: 866-969-6694
Hours: Mon-Fri 7:00AM – 5:00 PM Pacific Time
Email: [email protected]
Although one won't be able to create new account, it sounds like existing customers can sell to other existing customers and activate.
post #6830 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 01:56 PM

So with this info that dmusoke has provided, what would be the answer to the question I asked in post #6820 ? I also cut & pasted the question from post #6820 below. Please understand I have no tech skills so most of what has been written is over my head. Thanks

"Would it be possible to buy a hard drive that is Moxi compatible & load the needed software on it without having the Moxi? I have a 2 tuner Moxi in my Florida home but I will not be in Florida until November. Since Moxi will stop supporting us, I would like to make a backup hard drive & load the software before the August 12 cutoff. Thanks"
post #6831 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just got off the phone with Moxi/Arris customer support and they said the following:

1. You will be able to make modifications to your online Moxi accoutnt as needed but will NOT be able to create a new account. So if you buy/get another box that isn't already part of your account, you will not be able to pair it with the Arris servers.

2. Fresh OS download will be available should it still be needed. The same servers that do the online scheduling and account management also host the Moxi OS. No plans to disable this server.

3. Moxi OS is not tied up to the Moxi box ID or MAC address. Your recorded programs are due to the required DRM (Digital Management Rights), so recordings are not portable or transferrable. So if you swap two HD with recorded programs into different Moxi's, you're out of luck. You'll get the classic DRM violation message or could have your system wiped out(???).

4. Now about cloning... Cloning is not supported by Arris and as said, its not something they can comment on...but should work if done on the same box. You clone your current working drive today and can place it in the same Moxi place later when needed. You cannot clone Moxi #1 drive and place it in Moxi #2 due to the DRM issues mentioned above. Your recordings are 'physically' tied to your particular Moxi they were made from.

5. MPEG-4 is not supported on Moxi as expected so newer SD/HD cable channels that use it will not show up on the Moxi program menu. It only supports MPEG-2.

6. Hush-hush-and-unsubstantiated rumor has it that Rovi, that just bought Tivo will phase out the Tivo's just like Arris did to Moxi. Only cable companies will be the only ones to rent cable boxes. Apparently, customers having their own boxes is frowned upon by upper management. I wouldn't be surprised if cable companies had a hand in this decision as its more customers for them. It'd be a great windfall for them for their are tens of millions of Tivo's out there.

7. Arris didn't push out a global newer software verison .10 back in 2010 like i have (which supports Simulscript) as it would have required a complete wipeout of your recordings. Default version if .9 like you all have. Version .10 is backward compatible with .9 so should I should be OK should i move to another part of the country with a different cable company.

8. If you have a NAS, like me, you can set aside part of its drive capacity to record HD programs via USB 2.0 from the Moxi. It will appear to the Moxi as one logical drive. So if you have a 1TB internal and set aside 2TB from your NAS, then Moxi will see a 3TB drive with no way of knowing which drive houses the OS or your recorded programs. Moxi's USB 2.0 rated at 480Mbit/s is plenty adequate as your HD cable feed is compressed to 20Mbit/s (if not less to accomodate even more channels for the same bandwidth). Your high quality Bluray movie is often compressed at 30-40Mbit/s. I believe the maximum supported the Bluray spec is 50Mbits/s.

9. Moxi customer service is well aware of this forum but Arris forbids them to interact with us ... but I asked the nice fella to chime in anonymously at home when he can. He wasn't oppsed to the idea .

10. I repeat ... cloning your drive should work just fine, though not officially tested and supported by Moxi/Arris

That's all i can remember for now ... please send in your requests as well and share them here for everyone to see. They are very nice and responsive group of people.

Best,
David
TeeJay1952 likes this.

post #6832 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domm View Post
So with this info that dmusoke has provided, what would be the answer to the question I asked in post #6820 ? I also cut & pasted the question from post #6820 below. Please understand I have no tech skills so most of what has been written is over my head. Thanks

"Would it be possible to buy a hard drive that is Moxi compatible & load the needed software on it without having the Moxi? I have a 2 tuner Moxi in my Florida home but I will not be in Florida until November. Since Moxi will stop supporting us, I would like to make a backup hard drive & load the software before the August 12 cutoff. Thanks"
Yes...via cloning like I said in my post above.

post #6833 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Although one won't be able to create new account, it sounds like existing customers can sell to other existing customers and activate.
I don't think so ... I asked about that specific situation. If one buys a used Moxi, Moxis's guess is that you'll not be able to pair it up to the system as that would seem like a new addition to the account i believe. Again, this has not been tested or verified yet so who knows...

post #6834 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 02:50 PM

post #6835 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 02:51 PM

"Would it be possible to buy a hard drive that is Moxi compatible & load the needed software on it without having the Moxi? I have a 2 tuner Moxi in my Florida home but I will not be in Florida until November. Since Moxi will stop supporting us, I would like to make a backup hard drive & load the software before the August 12 cutoff. Tha
post #6836 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

"Would it be possible to buy a hard drive that is Moxi compatible & load the needed software on it without having the Moxi? I have a 2 tuner Moxi in my Florida home but I will not be in Florida until November. Since Moxi will stop supporting us, I would like to make a backup hard drive & load the software before the August 12 cutoff. Tha
Did you see my answer to your 4 posts above (post #6834)

post #6837 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think so. Wait till november to clone and pray hard drive doesn't go out by then.
post #6838 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Moxi/Arris customer support and they said the following:

1. You will be able to make modifications to your online Moxi accoutnt as needed but will NOT be able to create a new account. So if you buy/get another box that isn't already part of your account, you will not be able to pair it with the Arris servers.

2. Fresh OS download will be available should it still be needed. The same servers that do the online scheduling and account management also host the Moxi OS. No plans to disable this server.

3. Moxi OS is not tied up to the Moxi box ID or MAC address. Your recorded programs are due to the required DRM (Digital Management Rights), so recordings are not portable or transferrable. So if you swap two HD with recorded programs into different Moxi's, you're out of luck. You'll get the classic DRM violation message or could have your system wiped out(???).

4. Now about cloning... Cloning is not supported by Arris and as said, its not something they can comment on...but should work if done on the same box. You clone your current working drive today and can place it in the same Moxi place later when needed. You cannot clone Moxi #1 drive and place it in Moxi #2 due to the DRM issues mentioned above. Your recordings are 'physically' tied to your particular Moxi they were made from.

5. MPEG-4 is not supported on Moxi as expected so newer SD/HD cable channels that use it will not show up on the Moxi program menu. It only supports MPEG-2.

6. Hush-hush-and-unsubstantiated rumor has it that Rovi, that just bought Tivo will phase out the Tivo's just like Arris did to Moxi. Only cable companies will be the only ones to rent cable boxes. Apparently, customers having their own boxes is frowned upon by upper management. I wouldn't be surprised if cable companies had a hand in this decision as its more customers for them. It'd be a great windfall for them for their are tens of millions of Tivo's out there.

7. Arris didn't push out a global newer software verison .10 back in 2010 like i have (which supports Simulscript) as it would have required a complete wipeout of your recordings. Default version if .9 like you all have. Version .10 is backward compatible with .9 so should I should be OK should i move to another part of the country with a different cable company.

8. If you have a NAS, like me, you can set aside part of its drive capacity to record HD programs via USB 2.0 from the Moxi. It will appear to the Moxi as one logical drive. So if you have a 1TB internal and set aside 2TB from your NAS, then Moxi will see a 3TB drive with no way of knowing which drive houses the OS or your recorded programs. Moxi's USB 2.0 rated at 480Mbit/s is plenty adequate as your HD cable feed is compressed to 20Mbit/s (if not less to accomodate even more channels for the same bandwidth). Your high quality Bluray movie is often compressed at 30-40Mbit/s. I believe the maximum supported the Bluray spec is 50Mbits/s.

9. Moxi customer service is well aware of this forum but Arris forbids them to interact with us ... but I asked the nice fella to chime in anonymously at home when he can. He wasn't oppsed to the idea .

10. I repeat ... cloning your drive should work just fine, though not officially tested and supported by Moxi/Arris

That's all i can remember for now ... please send in your requests as well and share them here for everyone to see. They are very nice and responsive group of people.

Best,
David
I must assume the worst case but adding a box to your account isn't the same as creating an entirely new account like you are a first time user. However, you said there would be no pairing with arris servers and that worries me. we will see.

It isnt worth someone's career to chime in with posts at a place where their management has known about for a few years now. But p.m. us that great info and it will remain anonymous.

Last edited by dz2k; 08-08-2016 at 09:29 PM.
post #6839 of 7531 Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Yes...via cloning like I said in my post above.
Sorry for the multiple posts.

Can you give me detailed instructions on how to clone, thanks.
post #6840 of 7531 Old 08-09-2016, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry but I've personally cloned drives on my Windows laptop when I cloned its SSD drive which has windows to my NAS. Not done it for the Moxi yet as I currently plan to check its drive every 3 months by performing extensive disk surface tests for sector errors. I have heard on this forum folks using this software to clone their Moxi drives but have never used it personally but any disk cloning software should do the job. This seems like a good start.

Just make sure the drive you buy is the same drive capacity as the one you plan to clone or else the extra space will be wasted and unseen by the Moxi. So if you have a 1TB drive in your Moxi, then buy a 1TB drive for cloning purposes.

Last edited by dmusoke; 08-09-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page