post #7291 of 7531 Old 04-28-2018, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
Ummm -- I don't think so. You can't even get to pairing a new CC with a Moxi without having it linked to one's Moxi account. And having an account is required for activation/linking.

It's within one's account where you can change locales for specific Moxis.

JMHO, but a Moxi that's not activated/linked to an account is a brick. You could certainly watch any previously recorded content, but you can't record anything new.
I will bow to your experience. I only have had one second hand unit and adding it to existing account was easy (as I recall). I do not recall if I got it working on the cable card first or added it to the web account first so you are likely correct....

As for the flaky condition, I will try the 3 in a row reboots to see if that makes a difference. The HD was replaced about 3 years ago and hovers around 50-60% and was the first suspect. Thanks...

My offer still stands for the "bricked" unit to see if we can aid getting it at least operational to a point....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7531 Old 05-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

I did try the reboot process and the lag issue and playback improved for about a day.. It went right back to being flakey so I have a replacement drive on order. The Moxi HD replacement thread had a member report that the FFP process still works....

Thanks for the advice Saundra... appreciate your knowledge and experience.

Last edited by Duck05; 05-01-2018 at 04:29 PM.
post #7293 of 7531 Old 05-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hill View Post
So I found a Moxi and Mate at a sale, upgraded the firmware and deactivated it from the old account. I sold it on ebay and the buyer is all upset they can't make a new account and activate the unit. Is there anyone out there that can add the IDs to an existing account to get them activated? Maybe even if you have a dormant account that you would be willing to give the userid/password?
You should ask the person you bought it from to give you their .com login info. They have the option to change the uid &/or password.

Last edited by dz2k; 05-06-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7294 of 7531 Old 05-05-2018, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Replaced the HD today and the unit is back to performing well (but have not recorded anything as yet since we are starting fresh).

We have Comcast (Xfinity) and they now have a site so you can perform your own cable card pairing process. This worked as expected except for one aspect. Previously our cable package had HBO included but for whatever reason only one of the two Moxi units was allowed to display the non HD (MP2) HBO channels. In February, we changed to a different plan that did not include HBO and instead has STARZ (which was fine with us).

After pairing, the Moxi still would not display the SD channels for STARZ so I placed a call directly to the pairing support line. He "repaired" the CC and verified all of the information but still no change. We had a discussion about MP2 and the migration to MP4 but in the end I did not buy the explanation (since one of our Moxi units worked on the SD HBO channels before).

He did say that eventually all of the channels will migrate off of MP2 to MP4 over the next few years so if that happens that will be the end of our PVRs....

Next week, I will call the Xfinity customer service line and see what they say about this condition. We can see the STARZ channels, of course, using their box and on demand so it is not a huge deal but it is annoying.
post #7295 of 7531 Old 10-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Today's Orange-President National Emergency Alert Test worked on my Samung S8 cellphone - and on Moxi and moxi-mate, where it nicely interrupted playback, and read the message aloud in detail on the moxi-mate - a longer and much more detailed message than what came through on cellphone. Then playback resumed on the main moxi program, but not the moxi-mate.
post #7296 of 7531 Old 10-13-2018, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't get 4FP to work on the moxi and I'm not able to pull software manually from the links I had posted previously. Never had much luck with 4FP, was always a pita, now with the swg dns entry missing, i'm not sure it's working at all.... I would think i should still get the option to continue with portal software install then it should fail when it reaches out for the download...

Anyone know if i can send a pin to ground (And what one it might be) if i can get the same effect as a F4P?
post #7297 of 7531 Old 10-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsloan2 View Post
I can't get 4FP to work on the moxi and I'm not able to pull software manually from the links I had posted previously. Never had much luck with 4FP, was always a pita, now with the swg dns entry missing, i'm not sure it's working at all.... I would think i should still get the option to continue with portal software install then it should fail when it reaches out for the download...

Anyone know if i can send a pin to ground (And what one it might be) if i can get the same effect as a F4P?
I could probably get you the s/w from the manual links but how would you install it? I would hope you could put a usb flash drive in formatting fat32 with those files on it and moxi would recognize it but I'm just guessing.
post #7298 of 7531 Old 10-13-2018, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as software install I'm assuming these are binaries that match different partitions on the harddrive. Using dd starting at the partition start marker would be where I'd start. Might work / might not but hopefully i could see some data / files and go from there. Does anyone have a partition map from a moxi or a previously working image from a drive?
post #7299 of 7531 Old 10-18-2018, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 28
g4l Clone Help, Please

Grrr -- does anyone left around here have more than the very basic info on using g4l to clone a Moxi drive? Specifically, has anyone tried using the g4l utilities prior to cloning?

I pulled everything apart & got to the Click to Clone part after selecting the source & target sources & the process failed. After the failure, g4l shows the source (problematic Moxi) drive as a different size (something like 3.86 GB rather than 1.82 TB for a 2 TB drive) than initially. I know I should probably just bag it & go with 4FP on the new drive, but I really don't want to lost the recordings without trying everything possible first. Sigh

I would say long story shorter, but that's something I don't do well. So, here are the details.

Moxi #1 has been acting up over the last month. By "acting up," I mean there were glitches in some but not all recordings. Initially, I thought the problem was with the cable signal (a perineal issue here); after the first week or so, I figured out the problem was with the Moxi but didn't isolate the problem to the internal or external drives. I put it on my To Do list but obviously not high enough! In fairness, it has been crazy around here -- the HDD failed in my spouse's computer (the first month of the academic year, of course), & I've had to do some traveling to help our dd & her partner & their pup prepare to move overseas after an epic month long road trip around the US.

In any case, I was watching something recorded last night when the Moxi rebooted itself. That was the first random reboot & got my attention -- once rebooted, I disconnected the external drive. It was fine after reboot for 20 minutes or so when it rebooted itself again. At that point, I pulled the plug, hooked up a spare Mate, and got my schedule cleared for today to clone.

Soooo, this morning, I cracked the Moxi & pulled the drive. I put the g4l CD in my optical drive, powered the computer down, cracked the case to disconnect all the internal HDD drives, and hooked the 2 drives up to clone with g4l. I restarted the computer & things seemed to go fine: I was able to select the source (Moxi drive) & target (new drive of the same size), but when I selected Click to Clone, a whole bunch of stuff scrolled by too quickly for me to read & errored. Ugh. Not having encountered that before, I rebooted . . . and that's when g4l showed the Moxi drive size as being different than initially. A whole bunch of crap scrolls, but it's too fast for me to read, and even if I could read the stuff, I doubt I'd have a clue as to what it means.

So, I've tried searching this & the Moxi HD Replacement forums & it looks like at least one person was able to use ddrescue before cloning, but I didn't find details? Can anyone offer guidance/suggestions before I try blundering ahead on my own?

TIA,
Saundra
post #7300 of 7531 Old 10-18-2018, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Grrr -- does anyone left around here have more than the very basic info on using g4l to clone a Moxi drive? Specifically, has anyone tried using the g4l utilities prior to cloning?

I pulled everything apart & got to the Click to Clone part after selecting the source & target sources & the process failed. After the failure, g4l shows the source (problematic Moxi) drive as a different size (something like 3.86 GB rather than 1.82 TB for a 2 TB drive) than initially. I know I should probably just bag it & go with 4FP on the new drive, but I really don't want to lost the recordings without trying everything possible first. Sigh

I would say long story shorter, but that's something I don't do well. So, here are the details.

Moxi #1 has been acting up over the last month. By "acting up," I mean there were glitches in some but not all recordings. Initially, I thought the problem was with the cable signal (a perineal issue here); after the first week or so, I figured out the problem was with the Moxi but didn't isolate the problem to the internal or external drives. I put it on my To Do list but obviously not high enough! In fairness, it has been crazy around here -- the HDD failed in my spouse's computer (the first month of the academic year, of course), & I've had to do some traveling to help our dd & her partner & their pup prepare to move overseas after an epic month long road trip around the US.

In any case, I was watching something recorded last night when the Moxi rebooted itself. That was the first random reboot & got my attention -- once rebooted, I disconnected the external drive. It was fine after reboot for 20 minutes or so when it rebooted itself again. At that point, I pulled the plug, hooked up a spare Mate, and got my schedule cleared for today to clone.

Soooo, this morning, I cracked the Moxi & pulled the drive. I put the g4l CD in my optical drive, powered the computer down, cracked the case to disconnect all the internal HDD drives, and hooked the 2 drives up to clone with g4l. I restarted the computer & things seemed to go fine: I was able to select the source (Moxi drive) & target (new drive of the same size), but when I selected Click to Clone, a whole bunch of stuff scrolled by too quickly for me to read & errored. Ugh. Not having encountered that before, I rebooted . . . and that's when g4l showed the Moxi drive size as being different than initially. A whole bunch of crap scrolls, but it's too fast for me to read, and even if I could read the stuff, I doubt I'd have a clue as to what it means.

So, I've tried searching this & the Moxi HD Replacement forums & it looks like at least one person was able to use ddrescue before cloning, but I didn't find details? Can anyone offer guidance/suggestions before I try blundering ahead on my own?

TIA,
Saundra
Although raw mode failed this time, at least you were able to figure out which hard drives are your source and destination. You will now need to go back a few screens to the utilities screen and choose ddrescue. You will have to clone each partition separately. Ex. sda1 to sdc1. Some may take hours and others may take a few minutes. I've had success with this in the past and recordings were intact.
sslund likes this.
post #7301 of 7531 Old 10-18-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Although raw mode failed this time, at least you were able to figure out which hard drives are your source and destination. You will now need to go back a few screens to the utilities screen and choose ddrescue. You will have to clone each partition separately. Ex. sda1 to sdc1. Some may take hours and others may take a few minutes. I've had success with this in the past and recordings were intact.
Many thanks for the response, but I think the drive may be toast Without knowing what I was doing, I went ahead & started ddrescue, and the Moxi drive only had one partition that was 3.86 GB -- it should have been 1.82 TB since it's a 2 TB drive.

Nonetheless, I let ddrescue run for almost 6 hours before taking a peek, and I think the reason for the insanely fast screen scrolling was because it was just error after error after error. After 6 hours, nothing was recovered.

Because I have no clue what I'm doing, I don't know where/how to find the map file or log file, so I took a photo of the screen with my phone -- not sure how to share it? If the link works, does this make any sense to you? Based on some searching, it sounds like maybe the HDD's control card may have failed? I couldn't tell if the drive was spinning or doing anything, but based on the partition size & lack of other partitions like you mentioned, the number of read errors, and the fact that nothing at all was recovered after 6 hours, I'm thinking things aren't looking good?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgz2ayfqkw...19.06.jpg?dl=0

I appreciate the guidance because I'm way over my head. I read somewhere that that trying to run ddrescue with the - R (for reverse) option can be helpful, but . . . I really haven't a clue.
post #7302 of 7531 Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Many thanks for the response, but I think the drive may be toast Without knowing what I was doing, I went ahead & started ddrescue, and the Moxi drive only had one partition that was 3.86 GB -- it should have been 1.82 TB since it's a 2 TB drive.

Nonetheless, I let ddrescue run for almost 6 hours before taking a peek, and I think the reason for the insanely fast screen scrolling was because it was just error after error after error. After 6 hours, nothing was recovered.

Because I have no clue what I'm doing, I don't know where/how to find the map file or log file, so I took a photo of the screen with my phone -- not sure how to share it? If the link works, does this make any sense to you? Based on some searching, it sounds like maybe the HDD's control card may have failed? I couldn't tell if the drive was spinning or doing anything, but based on the partition size & lack of other partitions like you mentioned, the number of read errors, and the fact that nothing at all was recovered after 6 hours, I'm thinking things aren't looking good?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgz2ayfqkw...19.06.jpg?dl=0

I appreciate the guidance because I'm way over my head. I read somewhere that that trying to run ddrescue with the - R (for reverse) option can be helpful, but . . . I really haven't a clue.
in the bottom left corner, it shows 0.00% rescued after about 6 hours. Now that I think about it, I forgot how the moxi hdd appears in ddrescue. You should try easeus disk copy and see if it will clone. it's free and I put the instructions for it here in the past. you may want to make the new hdd a fat32 partition prior to running it so you know which hdd is the destination.
post #7303 of 7531 Old 10-21-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
in the bottom left corner, it shows 0.00% rescued after about 6 hours. Now that I think about it, I forgot how the moxi hdd appears in ddrescue. You should try easeus disk copy and see if it will clone. it's free and I put the instructions for it here in the past. you may want to make the new hdd a fat32 partition prior to running it so you know which hdd is the destination.
At this point, I think I'm over it with this hard drive . . . I think it just failed. I'm suspicious of the PCB because the drive really didn't seem to be doing anything - no vibration, no warmth, nothing -- when hooked up to the PC. I do know the first time I started g4l to Click to Clone, the misbehaving Moxi drive showed up as the correct size. The Click to Clone process errored almost immediately, a bunch of stuff scrolled too quickly to read, and then ddrescue showed the drive as being much smaller (3.86 GB vs 1.82 TB). Even if ddrescue or another utility was able to recover the 3.86 GB it "sees" that's full of read errors (apparently 57,316) that wouldn't even be a fraction of the recorded content, would it?

And now I have a new problem if anyone has any insight? I made a clone of the HDD some time back when it was relatively fresh for disaster recovery, and I put that in the Moxi while messing around with the failed HDD. The clone works as expected except there is a significant delay for the sound to kick in when skipping forward/rewinding while watching both live TV & recorded content. The video moves back or forward just fine, but the audio doesn't pick up for 3-10 seconds or longer. Any idea what would cause that??? I'm wondering if the clone drive has started to go bad in the time it's been sitting around? Or if something besides the HDD is starting to go wrong with the Moxi?

As an added wrinkle, last evening I watched something that had recorded on the clone Friday night, and there were two significant glitches in that single one hour recording. <sigh> I would have been inclined to think it was perhaps a signal issue . . . except it also recorded on another Moxi without those glitches on a channel that isn't prone to signal glitches in our house. To me, that seems to indicate either there's a problem with the clone (it was safely appropriately stored in a drawer for the last 18 months or so) or some other Moxi hardware issue. Any thoughts?

At this point, my plan is to pull the clone tomorrow & start from scratch with a new drive. I'm waiting until tomorrow because I'll need to get the CC paired. Has anyone had to call Spectrum, formerly TCW, to pair a CC recently? The last time I had to call (don't remember if it was before or after TWC became Spectrum), the guy told me I could have done it online. I did some digging around this AM & I think I found the place to do it, but it seems to indicate it can take up to 24 hours. <snort> That's not going to work for me, which is why I'm waiting until tomorrow when I can call & have it done immediately. Hopefully.

Arrgh -- I'm just so frustrated at this point. We have more than gotten our money's worth out of the equipment, and when problems like this crop up, it reminds me of how much it sucks to be way past EOL. It seems like most folks have moved forward to other things, or other ways of watching TV. At this point, I would be more than happy to move to something else, but I haven't really found anything that would work for us that isn't cost prohibitive (Tivo).

Saundra
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #7304 of 7531 Old 10-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
At this point, I think I'm over it with this hard drive . . . I think it just failed. I'm suspicious of the PCB because the drive really didn't seem to be doing anything - no vibration, no warmth, nothing -- when hooked up to the PC. I do know the first time I started g4l to Click to Clone, the misbehaving Moxi drive showed up as the correct size. The Click to Clone process errored almost immediately, a bunch of stuff scrolled too quickly to read, and then ddrescue showed the drive as being much smaller (3.86 GB vs 1.82 TB). Even if ddrescue or another utility was able to recover the 3.86 GB it "sees" that's full of read errors (apparently 57,316) that wouldn't even be a fraction of the recorded content, would it?

And now I have a new problem if anyone has any insight? I made a clone of the HDD some time back when it was relatively fresh for disaster recovery, and I put that in the Moxi while messing around with the failed HDD. The clone works as expected except there is a significant delay for the sound to kick in when skipping forward/rewinding while watching both live TV & recorded content. The video moves back or forward just fine, but the audio doesn't pick up for 3-10 seconds or longer. Any idea what would cause that??? I'm wondering if the clone drive has started to go bad in the time it's been sitting around? Or if something besides the HDD is starting to go wrong with the Moxi?

As an added wrinkle, last evening I watched something that had recorded on the clone Friday night, and there were two significant glitches in that single one hour recording. <sigh> I would have been inclined to think it was perhaps a signal issue . . . except it also recorded on another Moxi without those glitches on a channel that isn't prone to signal glitches in our house. To me, that seems to indicate either there's a problem with the clone (it was safely appropriately stored in a drawer for the last 18 months or so) or some other Moxi hardware issue. Any thoughts?

At this point, my plan is to pull the clone tomorrow & start from scratch with a new drive. I'm waiting until tomorrow because I'll need to get the CC paired. Has anyone had to call Spectrum, formerly TCW, to pair a CC recently? The last time I had to call (don't remember if it was before or after TWC became Spectrum), the guy told me I could have done it online. I did some digging around this AM & I think I found the place to do it, but it seems to indicate it can take up to 24 hours. <snort> That's not going to work for me, which is why I'm waiting until tomorrow when I can call & have it done immediately. Hopefully.

Arrgh -- I'm just so frustrated at this point. We have more than gotten our money's worth out of the equipment, and when problems like this crop up, it reminds me of how much it sucks to be way past EOL. It seems like most folks have moved forward to other things, or other ways of watching TV. At this point, I would be more than happy to move to something else, but I haven't really found anything that would work for us that isn't cost prohibitive (Tivo).

Saundra
do you have the same make and model hard drives for the original and the clone hdd? Issues are usually related to the hard drive. I have had a seagatee that was in storage go bad in room temp somehow.

I called spectrum earlier in the year I believe it was and they paired my CC. I remember seeing a Comcast link but don't recall the spectrum link for pairing. please share it.

Last edited by dz2k; 10-21-2018 at 02:45 PM.
post #7305 of 7531 Old 10-21-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
do you have the same make and model hard drives for the original and the clone hdd? Issues are usually related to the hard drive. I have had a seagatee that was in storage go bad in room temp somehow.

I called spectrum earlier in the year I believe it was and they paired my CC. I remember seeing a Comcast link but don't recall the spectrum link for pairing. please share it.

I'll have to check when I pull the clone in the AM because I don't recall what model the clone is. I have no idea about the original drive, though, because I replaced that 7-8 years or so ago & have replaced that replacement at least a couple of times since then.

Here's the link I found but never mind -- when clicking on the hyperlink to actually request activation, it's dead:
https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/s...cablecard.html
Huge gripe I have is when these takeovers happen, there are always idiotic incomplete transitions. For instance, when I log into my Spectrum account, I do it from a spectrum.net page that takes me to https://myservices.timewarnercable.com/account/index

The phone number I'll be calling in the AM after doing the 4FP comes from this page:
https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/...-installation/
(833) 267-6094

Assuming the 4FP still works -- fingers crossed! I saw someone recently posted that they couldn't get the 4FP to work, so I guess I'll find out in the morning if the tried & true steps I've always used will still work.
post #7306 of 7531 Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 PM

4FP - Middle Amber Light Flashing?

To continue my sage, does anyone have any idea what the middle flashing amber light about 10 minutes into a 4FP install of a new drive means???

I put a new drive in the Moxi this AM -- it's not on the old list of HDD known to work, but it is designed to "always on" things like DVRs, surveillance systems.

The 4FP seems to work & I got the "install initiated" screen as expected & I could hear the hard drive chatter. After 10-11 minutes, the middle amber light started flashing & nothing further seemed to be happening. I let it run for another 25 minutes -- in the past, the 4FP has always completed quickly (under 30 minutes) with no flashing lights that I can recall (but I'm not sure).

So, I tried it again & the same thing seems to be happening. I'm starting to fear things have gone dead from wherever the Moxis pulled the software download from?

Any ideas what's going on?

I don't know whether to let it keep going on the hopes that middle flashing amber light doesn't really mean anything ominous. I do have another "new" (unopened but been sitting in the original box for 2+ years) HDD (Seagate SV35) that I've used in Moxis, but if the mothership is gone . . .

I'm frustrated. I had a clone just in case, and even though it tested fine when made, it developed issues in the 18 months - 2 years it sat around safely boxed. Ugh! And, now the 4FP seems to start fine but then seems to hang -- twice -- about 10 minutes in when that middle amber light starts flashing.

Suggestions/input appreciated.

Last edited by sslund; 10-22-2018 at 02:58 PM.
post #7307 of 7531 Old 10-22-2018, 04:50 PM

RIP Moxi

Well, unless anyone reports otherwise, I fear the 4FP is no longer an option as of 10/22/2018. Jsloan2's posts a week or so ago were way over my head, but as someone who has had no problems doing the 4FP over the past many years, I am unable to get it to complete, either. I've tried with 2 different HDDs now (1 known to work in 3T Moxis & a newer AV HDD not known to work) with the same results: I am able to initiate the install, but each time about 10 minutes in, the middle amber light starts blinking & the process goes no further.

I've allowed the process to continue 50+ minutes several times with no further progress. Previously, the entire process would complete in 15-20 minutes.

It's speculation on my part, but I suspect that flashing middle amber light indicates there's no response from the server.

Unless someone has a solution not yet shared, it's the end of the line for this Moxi household. I thought I had done what I could to forestall the inevitable by cloning, but with the clone for this machine having developed issues while stored, I guess I can no longer ignore the writing on the wall.
post #7308 of 7531 Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsloan2 View Post
As far as software install I'm assuming these are binaries that match different partitions on the harddrive. Using dd starting at the partition start marker would be where I'd start. Might work / might not but hopefully i could see some data / files and go from there. Does anyone have a partition map from a moxi or a previously working image from a drive?
here is the link to the software ending 8830: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y86chhgyle...w8830.zip?dl=0

Someone once posted some images from a free easeus app that showed the moxi file structure.

Last edited by dz2k; 03-03-2019 at 08:45 PM.
post #7309 of 7531 Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, unless anyone reports otherwise, I fear the 4FP is no longer an option as of 10/22/2018. Jsloan2's posts a week or so ago were way over my head, but as someone who has had no problems doing the 4FP over the past many years, I am unable to get it to complete, either. I've tried with 2 different HDDs now (1 known to work in 3T Moxis & a newer AV HDD not known to work) with the same results: I am able to initiate the install, but each time about 10 minutes in, the middle amber light starts blinking & the process goes no further.

I've allowed the process to continue 50+ minutes several times with no further progress. Previously, the entire process would complete in 15-20 minutes.

It's speculation on my part, but I suspect that flashing middle amber light indicates there's no response from the server.

Unless someone has a solution not yet shared, it's the end of the line for this Moxi household. I thought I had done what I could to forestall the inevitable by cloning, but with the clone for this machine having developed issues while stored, I guess I can no longer ignore the writing on the wall.
I'm not calling it quits. You could make a clone of your stored backup.

Also, try my ffp tips on this page for a clean install hard drive: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...thread-12.html

Last edited by dz2k; 10-22-2018 at 08:46 PM.
post #7310 of 7531 Old 10-23-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I'm not calling it quits. You could make a clone of your stored backup.

Also, try my ffp tips on this page for a clean install hard drive: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...thread-12.html
Drats -- I just lost my post (apparently took to long to hit Post), so I'll try to recreate it.

Good for you for not giving up! I admire your technical understanding, so perhaps you'll be able to figure out a way to keep going!

I'm not sure what software image you've got in Dropbox -- is it for a 2-tuner or 3-tuner? The software in our 3-tuner Moxis seems to be: 6.1.1.9R4BR-P.319355

If anyone can figure out how to load your image onto a new HDD & have it work in a Moxi, that may be what enables folks to keep using Moxi (as long as the EPG continues to work)!

I'll keep watching here to see if anyone figures it out!

One thought I had is that if the server(s) where the OS download lived is gone, then perhaps the "policing" method that tied a particular hard drive to a particular Moxi unit might also be gone? I don't recall if anyone ever figured out exactly how Moxi enforced that relationship? But, if it was server based, and if that server no longer exists, then your software image might work on any fresh drive (if anyone can get it installed).

It's a whole lot of ifs, but I also wonder if that policing of HDD to particular Moxi unit was server based, and if that server no longer exists, might it be possible to use a clone from a different Moxi without triggering the recovery/format/install process? I'm less optimistic about that -- and not willing to risk it with my two remaining clones -- since IIRC, putting a drive from one Moxi into a different one immediately initiated the recovery/install process as soon as the power was turned on, but I do wonder.

Thanks for the 4FP tips. Unfortunately, I'm pretty confident my technique isn't the issue since I've done it probably a dozen or more times over the past decade without a hitch. I did think to log into my Moxi.com account before starting & all was well. As you may recall, we've had times where that server has gone down & come back up days later, so I checked that first & all was well. So, I'm now thinking that must be on a different server, or a different part of the server than the OS install?

I don't know the technical aspects, but the install process definitely started & seemed to go normally until about 10 minutes in, at which time the middle amber light would start flashing every time on both drives. The people I've talked to with way more knowledge than I could ever hope to have think that the server not responding caused a time-out after x attempts, which is what caused the middle amber light to start blinking at 9-11 minutes.

It's possible the server issue is temporary and not a result of Moxi pulling the plug, but I don't know how we'd determine that or when/if it comes back up? I think May was the last time someone here posted they'd been successful with the 4FP, and both jsloan2 & I have had 4FP failures this month (jsloan2 reported it was always a PITA while it hadn't ever been problematic for me). So, I think something has changed between May & now that's preventing the 4FP from working, at least for the last week or two. I'm supicious the plug was pulled in August "in honor of" the 2 year anniversary of Moxi announcing the end of support.
post #7311 of 7531 Old 10-24-2018, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Drats -- I just lost my post (apparently took to long to hit Post), so I'll try to recreate it.

Good for you for not giving up! I admire your technical understanding, so perhaps you'll be able to figure out a way to keep going!

I'm not sure what software image you've got in Dropbox -- is it for a 2-tuner or 3-tuner? The software in our 3-tuner Moxis seems to be: 6.1.1.9R4BR-P.319355

If anyone can figure out how to load your image onto a new HDD & have it work in a Moxi, that may be what enables folks to keep using Moxi (as long as the EPG continues to work)!

I'll keep watching here to see if anyone figures it out!

One thought I had is that if the server(s) where the OS download lived is gone, then perhaps the "policing" method that tied a particular hard drive to a particular Moxi unit might also be gone? I don't recall if anyone ever figured out exactly how Moxi enforced that relationship? But, if it was server based, and if that server no longer exists, then your software image might work on any fresh drive (if anyone can get it installed).

It's a whole lot of ifs, but I also wonder if that policing of HDD to particular Moxi unit was server based, and if that server no longer exists, might it be possible to use a clone from a different Moxi without triggering the recovery/format/install process? I'm less optimistic about that -- and not willing to risk it with my two remaining clones -- since IIRC, putting a drive from one Moxi into a different one immediately initiated the recovery/install process as soon as the power was turned on, but I do wonder.

Thanks for the 4FP tips. Unfortunately, I'm pretty confident my technique isn't the issue since I've done it probably a dozen or more times over the past decade without a hitch. I did think to log into my Moxi.com account before starting & all was well. As you may recall, we've had times where that server has gone down & come back up days later, so I checked that first & all was well. So, I'm now thinking that must be on a different server, or a different part of the server than the OS install?

I don't know the technical aspects, but the install process definitely started & seemed to go normally until about 10 minutes in, at which time the middle amber light would start flashing every time on both drives. The people I've talked to with way more knowledge than I could ever hope to have think that the server not responding caused a time-out after x attempts, which is what caused the middle amber light to start blinking at 9-11 minutes.

It's possible the server issue is temporary and not a result of Moxi pulling the plug, but I don't know how we'd determine that or when/if it comes back up? I think May was the last time someone here posted they'd been successful with the 4FP, and both jsloan2 & I have had 4FP failures this month (jsloan2 reported it was always a PITA while it hadn't ever been problematic for me). So, I think something has changed between May & now that's preventing the 4FP from working, at least for the last week or two. I'm supicious the plug was pulled in August "in honor of" the 2 year anniversary of Moxi announcing the end of support.
I forgot how many tuners jsloan2 has so I'm unsure. hopefully, it's a universal image that applies to both models. you should try to use it to update your moxi.
post #7312 of 7531 Old 10-28-2018, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey I just caught up on what has been happening and have a few suggestions. If not already tried plug your Moxi straight into your modem. I know that can be a pain but seems like I remember some in the past not being able to get the 4FP to work unless they did this. One other thing to try is setting your DNS server on your router to google DNS. That is 8.8.8.8.

Next you could try using a dual bay hard drive dock to clone your old drive. I have something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Exter...8-5&ref=sr_1_5

I have had to clone a coupe of drives using it. The trick is that your target drive has to be the same size or bigger. Also if the source drive has too many bad sectors it will probably fail before completion. That is where you would have to fall back to ddrescue which looks like you already tried.

I still have my Moxi's but only one is still active and it is only used for college football overflow lol. I have moved over to Tivo and love the heck out of it. They are expensive but if you catch their sale you can pick up a referb for a pretty big cost break. That is what I did just to see how I would like it and once I got used to it I loved it.

Best of luck to you!
sslund likes this.
post #7313 of 7531 Old 11-03-2018, 08:57 PM

Ahh, thanks for the suggestions . . . and for the TiVo encouragement. After the first OS download failure on a new drive, I disabled security on my router (never had to do that before but . . .), ran a network cable directly to the Moxi, and rebooted everything . . . with no change. I don't remember how many times I tried, but the process initiated & failed at the same point each time (about 10 minutes in) every single time. However, I didn't change the DNS server on the router to Google (8.8.8.8), so that might be something the next person might want to try.

I successfully used g4l to clone a few times, but I think I just waited too long this time, and even ddrescue couldn't save my rear. In the past, I had lots of time to replace a drive after random reboots started happening, but not this time. Oh, well. And I haven't a clue as to what's wrong with the clone! It was a new drive when I used it to clone & tested fine in the Moxi after being made, but it immediately started showing glitches in new recordings (could be signal issues) & there's a very annoying audio lag when moving forward or back in recordings that can't be explained by signal strength issues. But, it will have to do for now.

Thanks for the encouragement about TiVo! I avoided TiVo like the plague for so long I knew nothing current about them. I spent a bit of time over the last week or so reading in the TiVo community (trying to get a handle on the very basics, already know how to upgrade the hard drive, etc) & am actually excited about making the leap when I can find the (used) all in equipment, which will be the main challenge. My spouse is highly change aversive (seriously mostly stuck with the old ReplayTVs for about 5 years after we got the Moxis) but he's OK with the switch . . . as long as I do the whole house at once. Maybe after Black Friday, people who wanted newer toys will be looking to unload Roamios! Fingers crossed!
post #7314 of 7531 Old 12-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also found out that my clone developed issues while stored. I tried everything but couldn't save it. Thankfully, I can redo the clone from the original that's in use.

Quote:
here is the link to the software ending 8830: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y86chhgyle...w8830.zip?dl=0
I would suggest putting it on a usb flash drive formatted fat32 and just inserting it into the moxi to see if it will update. this is just a guess.

Someone once posted some images from a free easeus app that showed the moxi file structure.

the link I provided may not have worked properly in the past so I updated it yesterday. I tried placing the files on a flash drive and inserting it into the moxi but it kept complaining about unsupported drive. I wish someone could figure out how to install them..
sslund likes this.

Last edited by dz2k; 12-04-2018 at 01:14 PM.
post #7315 of 7531 Old 12-05-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Tried to update my program guide, just for kicks to see what Moxi would say and I got the following message:

Moxi Service Connection: "Failed to connect to Moxi Service"

It seems they completely pulled the plug on everything Moxi at Arris.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7316 of 7531 Old 12-05-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Tried to update my program guide, just for kicks to see what Moxi would say and I got the following message:

Moxi Service Connection: "Failed to connect to Moxi Service"

It seems they completely pulled the plug on everything Moxi at Arris.
Maybe a temporary outage? I just tried mine & the guide seems to have updated fine on 12/5/2018 at 10:21 AM (Pacific).
tveli likes this.
post #7317 of 7531 Old 12-05-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Entitlements, Resources, Logs - YES 12/05/2018 4:03PM (Eastern)

Program Update Guide - NO (still shows it was last updated a more than a year ago ... Nov 29th, 2017!)

Network Tests pass just fine to Moxi Service...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7318 of 7531 Old 12-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Entitlements, Resources, Logs - YES 12/05/2018 4:03PM (Eastern)

Program Update Guide - NO (still shows it was last updated a more than a year ago ... Nov 29th, 2017!)

Network Tests pass just fine to Moxi Service...
my guide is also updating just fine. It has a date of 12/05/2018. You may want to go to the moxi website and change your guide selection, save it, and then change it back. Then, force the guide update in the settings on your box again.
sslund likes this.
post #7319 of 7531 Old 12-07-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, thanks! That did the trick and guide is current ... though now I seem to have trouble getting some cable news channels. Oh well...
sslund likes this.

post #7320 of 7531 Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow, thanks! That did the trick and guide is current ... though now I seem to have trouble getting some cable news channels. Oh well...
cool. to fix channels, just reboot box and tuner if you have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page