Moxi HD DVR - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 177Likes

post #7351 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I finally found the posts that referred to the sources for the guide. Starting at 7206 in this thread and going through 7221 or so. I'm not sure if that matters much at this point...no guide download is no download.

We'll see how long it goes before I get forced to move to something else.

MrVXT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVXT View Post
I finally found the posts that referred to the sources for the guide. Starting at 7206 in this thread and going through 7221 or so. I'm not sure if that matters much at this point...no guide download is no download.

MrVXT
Most recent EPG provider discussion about getting lineups corrected was in November in the other thread by dz2k:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...l#post57123974

Since the problem isn't with Gracenote (other services using Gracenote aren't reporting an outage), I'm not sure the contact info will do any good?

No EPG update here in the PNW yet (Spectrum, formerly, TWC, formerly Adelphia, formerly locally owned cableco back when dinosaurs walked the earth). The behavior is actually quite similar to what happened when the FFP stopped working a couple of months back: the Moxi reaches out to the server & continues to reach out for +/-10 minutes before giving up. On our 3 Moxis, it looks like the logs quit being sent on 1/30/2019, the day before the last EPG update.

We're approaching the end of a snowpocalypse here, but if the snowplows make it through today, I'll be driving to WA to pick up two crappy converter boxes from Spectrum (@ an obscene $7.50/month each) because in this market, Spectrum went all digital back in August, so we can't get any channels on non-CC devices without a crappy box. I pulled out two of our very, very old SD ReplayTVs & got them hooked up -- they powered up & pulled in the guide data from Schedules Direct without a hitch.

<sigh> It's snowing. Again.

Here's hoping Aussie Gregory can get things sorted out & we're not just dealing with Arris deciding to quit paying the Gracenote bill.
post #7353 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 55
it sounds like there are several people that didn't get the bi-weekly guide update and it stuck on the jan 31 update. that is the problem. I think there are about 2 weeks of data stored. try entering your zip code, etc. on the following site to see if you can view out to feb 23rd on https://tvlistings.gracenote.com/ . this is the source of the data. If that's updated, we have to figure out why you are not getting the update. I saw someone post a screenshot of the diagnostics screen that said failed for 1 category but someone else said all the diagnostics said active for them. don't be quick to ditch cable or you'll have a new set of problems. try below steps:

1 unplug power from your cable box and tuning adapter.
2 plug up the cable box, wait 3 min for it to get to the picture
3 plug up your tuning adapter and wait for the solid light.
4 tune to a few channels
5 call your cable provider and have them send hits to both your cable card and to your TA to get them to update and refresh data. the process was in one of the moxi faq guides.
6 report back

Last edited by dz2k; 02-11-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7354 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked: 3876
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
it sounds like there are several people that didn't get the bi-weekly guide update and it stuck on the jan 31 update. that is the problem. I think there are about 2 weeks of data stored. try entering your zip code, etc. on the following site to see if you can view out to feb 23rd on https://tvlistings.gracenote.com/ . this is the source of the data. If that's updated, we have to figure out why you are not getting the update. I saw someone post a screenshot of the diagnostics screen that said failed for 1 category but someone else said all the diagnostics said active for them. don't be quick to ditch cable or you'll have a new set of problems. try below steps:

4 tune to a few channels
5 call your cable provider and have them send hits to both your cable card and to your TA to get them to update and refresh data. the process was in one of the moxi faq guides.
6 report back
I believe the issues are with Retail Moxi's ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7355 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Hi dz2k - thanks for the response. Is your Moxi EPG still up-to-date? If so, you're the only one who's posted from around the US who is still golden.

I'm assuming you meant Moxi instead of cable boxes below?

Here are my results.

Data is updated through 2/23 for my ZIP code at Gracenote as is Moxi Online Scheduling.

1. Unplugged Moxi for 5 mins; no TA here because we aren't a SDV market.
2. Plugged Moxi back in. EPG still not updated & forcing a manual update fails as before. After +/- 10 mins, error is "Failed to connect to Moxi service" with both home network & Internet connections Active.
3. All channels appear to come in correctly -- we have several hundred & I checked several in each tier including all premium channels.
4. Called TWC & got to CC supervisor. All CC on our account show as properly paired & operating correctly & that if channels are coming in, the problem isn't with the CC. He was willing to humor me, though, and we IDed the specific CC for one of the Moxis by CC serial # & he sent the hit(s).
5. EPG still ends about 1 PM tomorrow & trying to force a manual guide update still fails as above.

With nothing left to lose since EPG ends in about 24 hours, I changed my cable provider in My Account at Moxi Online for that Moxi to a non-Spectrum cableco about 1200 miles away (Sony San Francisco) -- that change correctly appeared on that Moxi. I then tried both Update Moxi & Update Program Guide, both of which failed after +/- 10 minutes to make any change at all to the EPG. The channel lineup didn't change (in spite of the cableco change being received by the Moxi box) & the EPG data still ends in about 24 hours. <sigh> Rebooted Moxi & tried again with no change.

To me who knows nothing, it seems as though the Moxi server isn't responding to requests from Moxi boxes although a server still sends stuff (like the cableco change) out to the Moxis.

Since you are still receiving updated EPG data, I wonder if it's possible there's more than one server that provides EPG data & you are on a "good" one while the rest of us posting are on a misbehaving server? Otherwise, I remain puzzled why things are still working for you & not for the rest of us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post

4 tune to a few channels
6 report back

Last edited by sslund; 02-11-2019 at 01:02 PM.
post #7356 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Thanks ssLouND for experimenting and posting results. Dizzy 2k you may be the last moxi guide standing. I wish we didnt have to fear the moxi reaper is coming for your moxi too.

My moxi mate already lost guide even though base 2tuner has guide. This is consistent with the idea that an administrative decision has occurred.

On bright side, the Previous test indicated near certainty that moxi mate will continue to tune and render channels with no guide. I will retest daily and report any aberrant results.

I seem unable to run similar test on moxi base unit so do not have a prediction as to whether it will retain ability to tune and/or record without the guide.
post #7357 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVXT View Post

MrVXT
this made me think about something. in early 2018, the moxi guide data was tied to a zap2it tv listings site that wasn't being updated. In November 2018, it got replaced with the https://tvlistings.gracenote.com/ site. maybe someone that isn't getting the updated listing on the moxi site nor the moxi epg should contact gracenote at http://www.gracenote.com/contact-video-support/. they are responsible for getting the guide update to the moxi epg.
post #7358 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was all ready to give up. Decided to reboot my moxi. Unplugged, waited for 5 minutes, plugged and let it restart. Looked at Service Status and showed guide updated Feb 11,2019 6:11pm. My recordings are scheduled out to 2/24. Let’s see if it updates by itself next.

Sam
sslund likes this.
post #7359 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sorry to report but today has been one big fail.

Was on the phone w Gregory for about an hour. I believe he was truly trying to help but he was being lead astray by the video dept.

VD (appropriate abbreviation in this case!) told him that all Moxi Service had been transferred to Espial in 2016. That is/has been true for commercial products. Espial would indeed provide the schedule for those products.

VD is looking for a contact at Espial that will help us their scheduling system. Lots o luck. They haven’t been providing our scheduler.

VD insisted that no Moxi Service currently exists at Arris but I told him that is not true. Moxi.com leads you to the EOL statement and the login for us. VD believes that is a redirection to Espial.

I told Gregory that just wasn’t true. It starts at Arrris and stays at Arris after login for all operations. Now, this was just my intuition (and 30 yrs as a CIO at a VA hospital to develop that intuition).

To prove that intuition I have looked at the HTML source code at Moxi.com and indeed there are multiple references to Arris in the code. I will post this code for your review.

I will be sending Gregory my analysis of the source code but it is time to rattle the cage.

Conti,
Time to visit Arris in person.

All who have been calling or writing Arris customer service please start again tomorrow. Gregory indicated that there has been a spike in retail Moxi support calls. Time to spike it again!

Prepare yourself with the material I have provided (you may need to email them the source code) to refute the robotic responses.

I will also provide the link to the corporate email and a draft of a message to post to corporate.
sslund likes this.
post #7360 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssantia View Post
I was all ready to give up. Decided to reboot my moxi. Unplugged, waited for 5 minutes, plugged and let it restart. Looked at Service Status and showed guide updated Feb 11,2019 6:11pm. My recordings are scheduled out to 2/24. Let’s see if it updates by itself next.

Sam
this is great news!
post #7361 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 PM

Wow, Santiago

Seeing what the manual pull will do. If nothing, will reboot and report back.
post #7362 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssantia View Post

Sam
Eureka! I had a failed manual update right before you posted. I waited until after 5 PM Pacific, pulled the plug, waited, rebooted, and SUCCESS!!! The Guide successfully updated at 5:09 PM!!!

Zzippy, I think your communications with Gregory rattled something loose! Thanks!

I'm going to try the other two Moxis without pulling the plug now :-)

UPDATE: Settings, Diagnostics, Update Program Guide isn't working (yet) here, but hitting the Reset button (rather than unplugging, waiting, and plugging back in) does.

I'm so happy!!!!

Last edited by sslund; 02-11-2019 at 05:52 PM.
post #7363 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 PM

I wonder.

Did someone finally listen to me and spend ten minutes fixing the network or service after all that run around?

Manual still failed but reboot workd

I will check with Greg in the morning and see if someone confesses.

Now I can start my chemo (pills) tomorrow in peace. As long as things were going well, this was taking my mind off the approaching day. WE met this challenge and tomorrow I will face another.

I have always loved tackling a techie challenge and this was a good exercise.

Thanks everyone.
sslund and dz2k like this.
post #7364 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 PM

Liked: 0
It worked for me too! I got home after 5 pm Pacific and tried a Manual update and it failed. I unplugged the Moxi and waited about 10 minutes and plugged it back in. It booted up and the guide updated!

Now the only thing is that I don't have the correct lineup. Before finding this forum, I logged into the Moxi portal and I tried to edit my lineup. I entered my zip code (92805) and chose my Provider (Time Warner Cable - Anaheim) but under Channel Lineup the only option was "lineup not available for this area". I thought that could be the issue so I researched the Spectrum channel listings and found a zip code that was really close (only 8 channels are different) to my lineup and changed it on the Moxi portal. The one I chose was zip code 92706 (Time Warner Cable - Santa Ana) and that lineupID is CA04977.X Santa Ana - Digital. Well, that didn't work. Now that I rebooted and the guide updated, it updated to the new lineup. It would be great to get my actual lineup.

Does anyone know how I can find out what the lineup ID for Time Warner Cable - Anaheim should be?

I'm hoping that if I knew the correct lineup ID, I could try to force it back.
post #7365 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMachin View Post
It worked for me too! I got home after 5 pm Pacific and tried a Manual update and it failed. I unplugged the Moxi and waited about 10 minutes and plugged it back in. It booted up and the guide updated!

Now the only thing is that I don't have the correct lineup. Before finding this forum, I logged into the Moxi portal and I tried to edit my lineup. I entered my zip code (92805) and chose my Provider (Time Warner Cable - Anaheim) but under Channel Lineup the only option was "lineup not available for this area". I thought that could be the issue so I researched the Spectrum channel listings and found a zip code that was really close (only 8 channels are different) to my lineup and changed it on the Moxi portal. The one I chose was zip code 92706 (Time Warner Cable - Santa Ana) and that lineupID is CA04977.X Santa Ana - Digital. Well, that didn't work. Now that I rebooted and the guide updated, it updated to the new lineup. It would be great to get my actual lineup.

Does anyone know how I can find out what the lineup ID for Time Warner Cable - Anaheim should be?

I'm hoping that if I knew the correct lineup ID, I could try to force it back.
compare your channel lineup to https://tvlistings.gracenote.com/. it looks like it should be Time Warner Cable - Digital (92805)
post #7366 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 PM

dz2k,

Thanks. Found it in the code on that page (right-click, Inspect) It is CA04885. I went into the Moxi Portal and using the process to see the code, I was able to change it to include the lineupID and info. I was able to save it on the portal. When I checked my Moxi it was updated. Now I have my correct lineup back!!
post #7367 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 08:45 PM

I'll give the reset button a try when I can pry the pieces out of the hands of the vampires after I drive a few stakes or find a pile of silver bullets. If that doesn't wash then I'll unplug the Moxi and give that a spin.

Checking the listings showed current through 2/23 and that was what I got when I looked at my account on the Moxi site, so that's not the issue. Maybe I'll be fully awake by then.

MrVXT
post #7368 of 7531 Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 PM

Winner, winner, chicken dinner

The reset button worked like a charm. All the fields on the service status page show updated successfully (except, of course, the one for the date of the last software update).
post #7369 of 7531 Old 02-12-2019, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Reset fixed my moxi 2 tuner guide too. Huzzah!

Thanks to those who prodded the administrators/etc.
post #7370 of 7531 Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Just a heads up Gracenote/Tribune Media Services was bought by Neilson around two years ago. Tribune Company went bankrupt.The arrangement for the guide data will be done by Espial.
This also caused TiVo to change to Rovi for guide data at that time. Rovi ended up purchasing TiVo. Rovi was originally called Gemstar TVGuide.
http://fortune.com/2016/12/20/nielse...data-metadata/

The end of life statement at Arris refers to the box itself (hardware) and not the UI. Arris did sell the UI off to Espial.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #7371 of 7531 Old 02-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I think I get to take the credit for the "push" fix.
After following along I saw everything was due to end after today so I:
Pondered, Planned and Executed a backup plan.
Examined options (Tivo purchase vs Cable company rent)
I ordered a truck roll install of WOW Ultra DVR for Friday.
I got a notebook and made a grid of the shows I might miss (Wed and Thurs) so I can hunt them down on web.
Got up in middle of night and saw reset added days.
Reset and everything as normal as could be.
Today will be spent rejoicing, celebrating and canceling truck roll.
sslund and dmusoke like this.
post #7372 of 7531 Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guide through Xbox one

I am not home to try the reset option now. I will call my wife and see if she is able to reset and update the guide. However for the last 3 days I didn't have EPG. My solution was to plug the HDMI cable from moxi through the xbox one s I have. That way I was able to watch cable with the xbox one app flawlessly I also had the guide provided by the xbox and also the xbox controller was able to switch channels on my moxi. Obviously that set up provide the guide and you must have the Xbox on to watch TV but no recordings unless you record on Xbox hdd

Last edited by contisalin; 02-12-2019 at 08:24 AM.
post #7373 of 7531 Old 02-12-2019, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
OMG I about cried when I just did a reset and saw guide data past 2:00!!!
sslund and TeeJay1952 like this.
post #7374 of 7531 Old 02-12-2019, 01:25 PM

I don't know if anyone else has checked, but so far, the auto Guide Updates seem to be working normally again. Whew! Yes, I know it's been less than 24 hours, but . . .

On Moxi 1, I did the cold reboot shortly after 5 PM that pulled in the updated Guide. Typically, my Guide updates seemed to happen in the wee morning hours, so I checked when I got home today & Diagnostics indicated the Guide updated itself around 10:30 PM last night. I'll take it :-)

Haven't checked the other two yet, but I'm definitely breathing easier for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by contisalin View Post
I am not home to try the reset option now. I will call my wife and see if she is able to reset and update the guide. However for the last 3 days I didn't have EPG. My solution was to plug the HDMI cable from moxi through the xbox one s I have. That way I was able to watch cable with the xbox one app flawlessly I also had the guide provided by the xbox and also the xbox controller was able to switch channels on my moxi. Obviously that set up provide the guide and you must have the Xbox on to watch TV but no recordings unless you record on Xbox hdd
Huh! This is fascinating to me! I'm not an Xbox person (I have an old 360 I keep Live Gold but rarely use it since ESPN pulled the app for the old boxes; I play my old games only once a month or so), but I have some recollection of people hooking cable boxes up to Xbox Ones. If I'm correctly understanding, you're saying that the Moxi essentially serves as a cable box with the Xbox One? So, this might be an option in the future if/when the Moxi guide goes away?

I also didn't know Xbox One had the ability to record other than game clips & the like! Can you share how that worked with the Moxi? I'm assuming you had to watch recordings through the Xbox & recordings wouldn't show up in the Moxi's Recorded TV section? I'm just trying to think ahead -- I'd much rather be able to use the Moxi's CC with an Xbox One than have to get a crappy Spectrum cable box that costs almost 4 times more than the CC rental, or even worse, rent one of their uber crappy (at least in this market) DVRs.

Thanks!
post #7375 of 7531 Old 02-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guide through Xbox one

Last week I had to install a new Xbox one s for my son. The back of the Xbox one has an hdmi in port for cable box Moxi in our case. So hdmi out from moxi goes in hdmi in on Xbox and hdmi out on Xbox goes to hdmi in on tv. There is a setting in Xbox menu to set up the cable box and guide specific to your provider. Once this is set up the tv channels will play on your tv on the Xbox input in full hd. The guide will be provided by Xbox even if the moxi guide is not working. The Xbox controller can and will control moxi as far as channels up downs and so forth. As far as recordings go I have not tried that yet it was late and had to go to work out of state. But I saw a bunch of people posting their Xbox recordings on YouTube so I always assumed the recordings of the game session would happen on Xbox and then they can post it some how. If that is the case why not recording the live tv playing on the Xbox the same way. If that is not the case, however they recorded their game play, that is how we should be able to record our live tv..
Anyway....the Xbox guide works perfect without moxi guide. The only issue is the Xbox needs to be on to watch tv plus you will need an Xbox one for every moxi or mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
I don't know if anyone else has checked, but so far, the auto Guide Updates seem to be working normally again. Whew! Yes, I know it's been less than 24 hours, but . . .

On Moxi 1, I did the cold reboot shortly after 5 PM that pulled in the updated Guide. Typically, my Guide updates seemed to happen in the wee morning hours, so I checked when I got home today & Diagnostics indicated the Guide updated itself around 10:30 PM last night. I'll take it :-)

Haven't checked the other two yet, but I'm definitely breathing easier for now!

Huh! This is fascinating to me! I'm not an Xbox person (I have an old 360 I keep Live Gold but rarely use it since ESPN pulled the app for the old boxes; I play my old games only once a month or so), but I have some recollection of people hooking cable boxes up to Xbox Ones. If I'm correctly understanding, you're saying that the Moxi essentially serves as a cable box with the Xbox One? So, this might be an option in the future if/when the Moxi guide goes away?

I also didn't know Xbox One had the ability to record other than game clips & the like! Can you share how that worked with the Moxi? I'm assuming you had to watch recordings through the Xbox & recordings wouldn't show up in the Moxi's Recorded TV section? I'm just trying to think ahead -- I'd much rather be able to use the Moxi's CC with an Xbox One than have to get a crappy Spectrum cable box that costs almost 4 times more than the CC rental, or even worse, rent one of their uber crappy (at least in this market) DVRs.

Thanks!
post #7376 of 7531 Old 02-12-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I offer a heartfelt "THANK YOU" to everyone who had a hand in getting our Moxi program guide back on the air.

Did anyone ever get a definitive answer as to what the problem turned out to be? I can only presume that the server that provides the guide data had somehow gone offline and the techs in charge didn't notice for about 10 days. Surely this is a good sign that there remains more useful life to my trusty ol Moxi.

During the last 'dooms day' week I signed up for a free 14 day trial of YouTube TV just to get some hands on experience with it. The picture is great and it covers 90% of my channel wish list (HGTV, DIY, HALLMARK, and a few others are missing).

The one thing that I don't like about YTTV is the user interface. It only gets about 5 channels on the screen in the program guide and only projects 2 hours forward. No obvious way to look forward a day or more to set recordings up the way I'm accustomed to doing with Moxi.

Anyway, it is good to know that the Moxi is still an option.

Thanks again!
post #7377 of 7531 Old 02-12-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Moxi updated on its own today. At least I think it was on its own. Many thanks to zzippy who I have to think rattled the right cages to get the channel guide support back.
post #7378 of 7531 Old 02-13-2019, 08:09 AM

Not out of the woods yet.

Yesterday’s conversation with Gregory confirmed that service was interrupted inadvertently as part of a move to Espial. We (retail Moxi owners) are the last Arris operations to move to Espial.

I have many questions for Espial both strategically (what are their plans for us) and operationally (what/when can expect in the transition).

If we can get a direct contact we can avoid the robots on the level 1 tech support and focus communications to a single contact. As the transition proceeds we can be the frontline reporters of any functionality issues.

So the journey isn’t over yet we have a path to follow. Communication is the key to a smooth transition and sticktoitivness is the key to keep it moving.

Stay tuned!
post #7379 of 7531 Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 AM

MrVXT
Noticed the OpenVMS in your avatar.

Have VMS in my blood. In my 30 years as a VA CIO, running Mumps OS on PDP-11’s, mumps on VMS on VAXes then VMS on Alphas.

In my last years before retirement there was a consolidation to regional data centers running mumps on HP Intel servers running Linux. A shadow copy remains at the medical centers in case of a comm drop.

I cherish the time I worked through this massive technological change. Change continues today at a rapid rate but not in the fast and furious manner of the last 30 years.
post #7380 of 7531 Old 02-13-2019, 11:22 AM

Gregory has provided me with the contact at Espial. I will be sending that person a message shortly to establish that high level contact (Director of Engineering & Operations).

Will report back soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page