177Likes

post #7381 of 7531 Old 02-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzippy View Post
Gregory has provided me with the contact at Espial. I will be sending that person a message shortly to establish that high level contact (Director of Engineering & Operations).

Will report back soon.
Thanks for your continued hard work on this!

And hope you're feeling well {{{HUGS}}}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7531 Old 02-13-2019, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
Thanks for your continued hard work on this!

And hope you're feeling well {{{HUGS}}}
day one of chemo pills

Interestingly rather feeling sick, I haven't felt this good in months. Even wired a bit.

Probably cleaning up WBC and lymph nodes already and lifting that load off of me. Hope this keeps going that way!
sslund and dmusoke like this.
post #7383 of 7531 Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman47 View Post
My Moxi updated on its own today. At least I think it was on its own. Many thanks to zzippy who I have to think rattled the right cages to get the channel guide support back.
I'm still not getting any update after a reboot using the reset button. Last update still shows Jan 31. Does it really need to be unplugged?

Thanks zzippy for all your efforts here. Hope you continue to feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7384 of 7531 Old 02-14-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis View Post
I'm still not getting any update after a reboot using the reset button. Last update still shows Jan 31. Does it really need to be unplugged?

If reset isn't working, I'd definitely pull the plug, either from the wall/power strip/UPS or from the back of the box. Let it sit for a few minutes, plug it back in, & it should be good.
post #7385 of 7531 Old 02-14-2019, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Are the new corporate masters considering putting new drive install feature back?
Tee (I hope so) Jay
sslund likes this.
post #7386 of 7531 Old 02-14-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
Are the new corporate masters considering putting new drive install feature back?
Tee (I hope so) Jay
Yes, we are in desperate need of this. We have the guide back as of yesterday on the one working Moxi, but need to load the OS image on a new hard drive for the other Moxi to work. We tried Tivo last week and were less than impressed.

Thank you everyone who posts their experiences and for those working with support organizations.
post #7387 of 7531 Old 02-15-2019, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
Quote:

If reset isn't working, I'd definitely pull the plug, either from the wall/power strip/UPS or from the back of the box. Let it sit for a few minutes, plug it back in, & it should be good.
I was planning to try an unplug reset tonight, but just checked and see that the guide automatically updated about 4 hours ago. Thanks again, zzippy!
post #7388 of 7531 Old 02-16-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by aepicari View Post
Yes, we are in desperate need of this. We have the guide back as of yesterday on the one working Moxi, but need to load the OS image on a new hard drive for the other Moxi to work. We tried Tivo last week and were less than impressed.

Thank you everyone who posts their experiences and for those working with support organizations.
i hope so. they should really test this stuff after making changes. don't tell me it's another frontier fios setup..
post #7389 of 7531 Old 02-16-2019, 06:12 PM

Folks,
The chance of software and hardware support is something between nothing and nil. That was Arris EOL position and will be Espials.

I believe Espial will continue to provide us with the EPG for the foreseeable future and that is a great thing.

Our current doomsday scenario is the hard drive failing. While life is good with the Moxi and restoration of EPG, I believe it is time to start a discussion on replacement of the Moxi.

Starting with what we love about the Moxi:

Simple UI
Storage of single episodes or series.
~2 wk advance EPG
Expandable external storage (I have a 4TB Lacie set up at Raid 5 to 3TB. Drive fails, pop in new one)
Three tuner recording

Like to have:
I have always seen the inclusion of Moxi controls on the hard drives as a major flaw. Of course, control of many DVR devices also have controls on the hard drive. If controls were located on chips and drives for storage it would help eliminate a fatal flaw.

I have very little knowledge of what is out there. I have never streamed anything yet. Not sure I'll be a cable cutter unless I can match what I have now (device and programs).
post #7390 of 7531 Old 02-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
As far as dead HDD's go here is something I started doing a few years ago after I couldn't do the drive reload one time. I bought a simple SATA drive cloner on Amazon and once ever few months I make a new (or updated) clone of the current drive in the Moxi and keep it as a backup. This way if the drive dies I always have a good backup I can throw in. Worst case is I might be missing a few recordings or maybe a new series or two, but I can be back up and running in as little as 5 minutes if a drive dies.

Just a suggestion from an 11 year (retail) Moxi owner.

I cought one like this. https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Dual-Bay...VBP7E1HR2G3GNH
Moxi4Ever likes this.
post #7391 of 7531 Old 02-17-2019, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
After the vampires and werewolves let go in the wee hours I'll double check on the automagic update of guide data. I still need to get the 2-tuner back in operation. I also took advantage of the PlayOn discount, lifetime subscription for only $29 and they claim that it'll still feed recordings to the Moxi through DLNA. I hope that might be a fall-back...

MrVXT
post #7392 of 7531 Old 02-17-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
MrVXT
Noticed the OpenVMS in your avatar.

Have VMS in my blood. In my 30 years as a VA CIO, running Mumps OS on PDP-11’s, mumps on VMS on VAXes then VMS on Alphas.

In my last years before retirement there was a consolidation to regional data centers running mumps on HP Intel servers running Linux. A shadow copy remains at the medical centers in case of a comm drop.

I cherish the time I worked through this massive technological change. Change continues today at a rapid rate but not in the fast and furious manner of the last 30 years.
Sorry, group, still unable to PM but I felt I should be polite...

zzippy, yes, I was part of the team doing the VAX-to-Alpha upgrades during the summer of '94. I did a lot around the US. Still with VMS at VSI.

MrVXT
post #7393 of 7531 Old 02-18-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodow View Post
As far as dead HDD's go here is something I started doing a few years ago after I couldn't do the drive reload one time. I bought a simple SATA drive cloner on Amazon and once ever few months I make a new (or updated) clone of the current drive in the Moxi and keep it as a backup. This way if the drive dies I always have a good backup I can throw in. Worst case is I might be missing a few recordings or maybe a new series or two, but I can be back up and running in as little as 5 minutes if a drive dies.

Just a suggestion from an 11 year (retail) Moxi owner.

I cought one like this. https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Dual-Bay...VBP7E1HR2G3GNH
Bodow,
Have you had to replace a bad drive with a cloned one?

Hmm, how about a sata to usb to a 2bay Raid 1 drive? Drive goes out; pop in a new one.
post #7394 of 7531 Old 02-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Bodow,
Have you had to replace a bad drive with a cloned one?

Hmm, how about a sata to usb to a 2bay Raid 1 drive? Drive goes out; pop in a new one.
Seems like I replace a drive in one of my two Moxi's every 6 months or so, but I'm also not buying top of the line HDD's. Basically, if it starts to get slower or starts making noise I replace it. I normally bench test after to make sure it's dead. I've never thought about a raid. I know someone on a different board had said he had to cut a hole to run a cable to the MB and then run power etc.. For me it's two screws and two cables so it wasn't worth investigating.
post #7395 of 7531 Old 02-18-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodow View Post
Seems like I replace a drive in one of my two Moxi's every 6 months or so, but I'm also not buying top of the line HDD's. Basically, if it starts to get slower or starts making noise I replace it. I normally bench test after to make sure it's dead. I've never thought about a raid. I know someone on a different board had said he had to cut a hole to run a cable to the MB and then run power etc.. For me it's two screws and two cables so it wasn't worth investigating.
bodow, I think that person was using an external enclosure instead of the internal drive, thus requiring the cable from the MB. Plus the external enclosure he had was SATA and not eSATA. The supported external expansion is a LaCie 4Big which can be configured in a variety of different RAID formats. If Arris was anything like my former employers that built computer systems a device that's "qualified" is fully supported. A device that's not qualified may work but don't expect for support if something breaks. The 4Big was qualified. The external enclosure lashed to the internal SATA port definitely wasn't qualified but did seem to work.

MrVXT
post #7396 of 7531 Old 02-19-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 219
What's the largest sized HDD can the Moxi support?

Though the Moxi can support 3 tuners, Xfinity/Comcast tells me their system support up to 6 tuners or more ... in their cloud as all your recordings wouldn't be local to their HD box tuner but in their servers. This makes sense in a way, to have your recordings stored at their servers, where they can update the number of simultaneous recordings you can make at will.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7397 of 7531 Old 02-22-2019, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
What's the largest sized HDD can the Moxi support?

Though the Moxi can support 3 tuners, Xfinity/Comcast tells me their system support up to 6 tuners or more ... in their cloud as all your recordings wouldn't be local to their HD box tuner but in their servers. This makes sense in a way, to have your recordings stored at their servers, where they can update the number of simultaneous recordings you can make at will.
I think the 2 tuner can support a 1.5 tb internal hard drive. A external hard drive that was a raid device that was 8 tb is the largest one I know of that worked.
I think the 3 tuner can support a 4.0 tb internal hard drive.
dmusoke likes this.
post #7398 of 7531 Old 02-22-2019, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aepicari View Post

I posted the software a few months back in the moxi hd dvr forum here but no one has figured out a way to install it yet. I tried putting it on a usb flash drive formatted in multiple ways and inserting it in the front usb port without luck. It would be nice if someone could figure out how to install since the network download isn't working at this time.
post #7399 of 7531 Old 02-24-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
I posted the software a few months back in the moxi hd dvr forum here but no one has figured out a way to install it yet. I tried putting it on a usb flash drive formatted in multiple ways and inserting it in the front usb port without luck. It would be nice if someone could figure out how to install since the network download isn't working at this time.
I poked around the ZIP files that (I think) dz2k posted. There's wget info pointing to two FQDNs, swu.mc1.dgosvc.com and epg.mc1.dgosvc.com. It looks like both resolve to the same IP address and it responds to ping. I did a domain lookup and this was the result:

Domain Name: DGOSVC.COM
Registry Domain ID: 85556142_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
Updated Date: 2017-12-17T01:18:05Z
Creation Date: 2002-04-13T05:40:02Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2025-04-13T04:00:00Z
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Registrar IANA ID: 2
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: ESPIAL GROUP INC.
Registrant Organization: ESPIAL GROUP INC.
Registrant Street: 200 Elgin St. Suite 1000
Registrant City: OTTAWA
Registrant State/Province: ON
Registrant Postal Code: K2P 1L5
Registrant Country: CA
Registrant Phone: +1.6132304770
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.6132308498
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: ESPIAL GROUP INC.
Admin Organization: ESPIAL GROUP INC.
Admin Street: 200 Elgin St. Suite 1000
Admin City: OTTAWA
Admin State/Province: ON
Admin Postal Code: K2P 1L5
Admin Country: CA
Admin Phone: +1.6132304770
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: +1.6132308498
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: [email protected]
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: ESPIAL GROUP INC.
Tech Organization: ESPIAL GROUP INC.
Tech Street: 200 Elgin St. Suite 1000
Tech City: OTTAWA
Tech State/Province: ON
Tech Postal Code: K2P 1L5
Tech Country: CA
Tech Phone: +1.6132304770
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +1.6132308498
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: [email protected]
Name Server: NS3.DGOSVC.COM
Name Server: NS5.DGOSVC.COM
Name Server: NS6.DGOSVC.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2019-02-25T06:34:49Z <<<

I also tried to use browsers to access the node with both HTTP and FTP but neither had any success. Makes me wonder if the domain wasn't originally owned by Digeo...

MrVXT
post #7400 of 7531 Old 02-25-2019, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
I was planning to try an unplug reset tonight, but just checked and see that the guide automatically updated about 4 hours ago. Thanks again, zzippy!
I resurrected my 3T that I had unplugged for months yesterday. The guide came back to Dec 18th or some such date. Tried to update it and got some network access error message. All other network tests seem fine. What more can I do to get it working?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #7401 of 7531 Old 02-27-2019, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I resurrected my 3T that I had unplugged for months yesterday. The guide came back to Dec 18th or some such date. Tried to update it and got some network access error message. All other network tests seem fine. What more can I do to get it working?
press and hold the reset button on the front of the moxi until it reboots. (3 seconds)
post #7402 of 7531 Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
press and hold the reset button on the front of the moxi until it reboots. (3 seconds)
Thanks, but it didn't work, unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	758.4 KB
ID:	2531758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	731.9 KB
ID:	2531760  

post #7403 of 7531 Old 02-27-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks, but it didn't work, unfortunately.
If no one has a better suggestion, I would go to Moxi Online & try changing your channel lineup for that Moxi if you've not already done so. Then change it back. Good luck!
post #7404 of 7531 Old 02-27-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^
Thanks, sslund! That did the trick. I changed the lineup to one for a local nursing home (channels 1 -99) and updated the guide on the Moxi and it showed the new nursing home guide. I then reverted to the actual channel lineup I want. It took a while to update, before I got any message from the server, which I interpreted as good news for me. Prior I got a no-connect to server message within 10-15 secs, at most.

I'm all synced up now and hopefully will not have to do this again... Thanks again!

post #7405 of 7531 Old 02-28-2019, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

great news!
post #7406 of 7531 Old 03-03-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I think the 2 tuner can support a 1.5 tb internal hard drive. A external hard drive that was a raid device that was 8 tb is the largest one I know of that worked.
I think the 3 tuner can support a 4.0 tb internal hard drive.
So if I clone the current drive (500 MB I believe) to a 4.0 TB will I get the entire 4.0 TB?

At one time, I thought no matter what size drive you used it would format to 500 MB.
post #7407 of 7531 Old 03-03-2019, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So if I clone the current drive (500 MB I believe) to a 4.0 TB will I get the entire 4.0 TB?

At one time, I thought no matter what size drive you used it would format to 500 MB.

Sort of. If you clone a 500GB internal hard drive to a 4TB, you end up with a 500GB internal hard drive. If you add an additional external hdd, billcorp62 said you will then get access to the space on the additional external hdd and the previously unused space of 3.5TB on the internal hdd.

At one time, I thought no matter what size drive you used it would format to 500 MB.[/quote]
Incorrect. If you do a fresh 4fp, it will format the whole hard drive to its capacity. So, if you had a 4TB internal hard drive and did a 4fp, then it will format for the full 4TB internal hard drive. However, Sandra said the 4fp hasn't been working for months. We believe it's due to the moving of the retail moxi systems from Arris to Espial, which is said to be one of the last projects they are working on with this transition.

Last edited by dz2k; 03-04-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #7408 of 7531 Old 03-03-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you saying the 4fp will be restored? If so when?

Also, BTW what are some recommended 3TB or 4TB drive models that would definitely withstand the stresses(and then some) that the Moxi puts them through with aplomb? I'm looking here ofcourse for drive longevity and reliability beyond 3 years.

Last edited by dmusoke; 03-03-2019 at 07:46 AM.
post #7409 of 7531 Old 03-03-2019, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, BTW what are some recommended 3TB or 4TB drive models that would definitely withstand the stresses(and then some) that the Moxi puts them through with aplomb? I'm looking here ofcourse for drive longevity and reliability beyond 3 years.

I wish. But to my knowledge, no one has mentioned the 4fp issue to arris nor espial given that there is no hardware nor software support. Our only option now is to figure out how to install the software files I posted in this thread a few months ago.

Also, BTW what are some recommended 3TB or 4TB drive models that would definitely withstand the stresses(and then some) that the Moxi puts them through with aplomb? I'm looking here ofcourse for drive longevity and reliability beyond 3 years.[/QUOTE]
I tested a few WD 4TB internal hard drives and they worked ok on a 3 tuner moxi. They should be mentioned in the moxi hard drive replacement thread.
post #7410 of 7531 Old 03-03-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

zzippy ... since you seem to have contacts within the innards of espial, can you talk to them to restore the 4fp issue, so that we may be able to download their software and update our new drives? Thanks man!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page