155Likes

post #7441 of 7448 Old 04-06-2019, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Bad news. I went to schedule some recordings online and there was no option to do it. There's a message saying "On May 24th, 2019 we will be finalizing the end of support as we are no longer able to continue offering data services to these boxes." aka, we got screwed.
Well, that's disappointing -- thanks for the head's up. FWIW, I'm still able to schedule recordings right now but do see the message when I log out of my account:
Thank you for your loyalty to Moxi over the past 11 years.

When we introduced Moxi in 2008, it was a groundbreaking service, and your support for the platform helped us pave the way to newer, more advanced entertainment services. That’s why we continued to support the Moxi experience for five years beyond its warranty.

On August 12th, 2016, we discontinued to offer hardware or software support and repair or return services for Moxi.

On May 24th, 2019 we will be finalizing the end of support as we are no longer able to continue offering data services to these boxes.

Thank you again for your ongoing support and passion for Moxi.

If you’re looking for continued DVR experience, please contact your local video service provider.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why have you stopped supporting Moxi now?

We’re proud to have supported Moxi for eight years beyond the warranty period.

However, ARRIS must turn its focus forward and invest in newer video technology to deliver the future of personalized and connected services.

Where can I get a more updated, fully supported device?

Please contact your video service provider’s sales department.
Hard to believe the data services are that difficult to provide to the boxes. Too bad they won't unlock (for lack of a better word) these old boxes so that we could use something Schedules Direct to serve the guide data for those of us still using our Moxis.

Last edited by sslund; 04-06-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7442 of 7448 Old 04-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
Well, that's disappointing -- thanks for the head's up. FWIW, I'm still able to schedule recordings right now but do see the message when I log out of my account:
Thank you for your loyalty to Moxi over the past 11 years.

When we introduced Moxi in 2008, it was a groundbreaking service, and your support for the platform helped us pave the way to newer, more advanced entertainment services. That’s why we continued to support the Moxi experience for five years beyond its warranty.

On August 12th, 2016, we discontinued to offer hardware or software support and repair or return services for Moxi.

On May 24th, 2019 we will be finalizing the end of support as we are no longer able to continue offering data services to these boxes.

Thank you again for your ongoing support and passion for Moxi.

If you’re looking for continued DVR experience, please contact your local video service provider.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why have you stopped supporting Moxi now?

We’re proud to have supported Moxi for eight years beyond the warranty period.

However, ARRIS must turn its focus forward and invest in newer video technology to deliver the future of personalized and connected services.

Where can I get a more updated, fully supported device?

Please contact your video service provider’s sales department.
Hard to believe the data services are that difficult to provide to the boxes. Too bad they won't unlock (for lack of a better word) these old boxes so that we could use something Schedules Direct to serve the guide data for those of us still using our Moxis.
please post the URL for online scheduling that you use.
post #7443 of 7448 Old 04-06-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
please post the URL for online scheduling that you use.
Same as always:
https://accounts.moxi.com/login.jsp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7444 of 7448 Old 04-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That does work! thanks. Technically, gracenote provides the guide data and they were the contact for updating the guide so I would still try to contact them if needed in the future. I hope we can still use the moxi just like we have.

Last edited by dz2k; 04-08-2019 at 07:14 AM.
post #7445 of 7448 Old 04-07-2019, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
That does work! thanks. Technically, gracenote (whomever bought them) provides the data and they were the contact for updating the guide so I guess this news means they won't do it anymore. I hope we can still use the moxi to watch tv.
Well THAT'S certainly an unwelcome and unpleasant way to start my workday! Thank you for the direct pointer to the Moxi account login page, I've always gone through http://www.moxi.com to login and they've pulled the link to the accounts from the splash page.

I can't complain too much, though. I've got 5+ years on our first Moxi 2-tuner with original 500GB disk (still, although it's really noisy) and 3+ on the 3-tuner, both bought used. Time, I guess, to build on another solution. I know I'm frustrated with the Moxi "state of affairs" so it'll be a move forward. I had just purchased replacement disks for both units but those can be used in the PC I end up loading PlayOn onto.

It was a good gig while it lasted.

<sigh>

MrVXT
tveli and sslund like this.
post #7446 of 7448 Old 04-12-2019, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It sure was a good run with Moxi.

We have lots of Moxi recordings but we never watch them due to availability of so much content on other devices. I may power off Moxi forever soon and donate it to the Boston Computer Museum with some other relics.

Tablo 4-tuner has been OK but does not provide crucial items required for approval:
- Lifetime Channel live and on-demand
- One UI instead of 5 or more. (tablo, xfinity-stream, sling, locast, moxi.)

Last night I swapped Tablo out for AirTV, integrated into all the Sling apps.
(We have sling-blue but it is not required for free-guide and AirTV support.)

Soon I hope to have sufficient antenna/gain/preamp to run 3 OTA devices in parallel:
- AirTV
- Tablo 4-tuner
- HD homerun OTA version

Also probably will setup a HD-homerun-cablecard box with comcast 'choice tv' service for a while, to be able to view & record the many free-previews for HBO/skinemax/starz. Seem there is a new HD-homerun-with-cablecard-support about to be released. 6 tuners! Nice.

btw, have you ever tried the Moxie beverage? It does not provide a free channel & program guide, so I cannot recommend it. https://newengland.com/today/food/ne...-classic-soda/
sslund likes this.

Last edited by tveli; 04-12-2019 at 04:15 AM.
post #7447 of 7448 Old 04-15-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post
It sure was a good run with Moxi.

We have lots of Moxi recordings but we never watch them due to availability of so much content on other devices. I may power off Moxi forever soon and donate it to the Boston Computer Museum with some other relics.
It sure was a good run! In spite of the nits, my Moxi purchases will go in the purchase category of No Regrets!

Since the writing was on the wall (for me, that was when the OS download needed to replace hard drives quit working), we started dabbling with TiVos since that was the only feasible option for us. It's been a mixed bag - some great, some good, some bad. But for us, the "bad" (far too much crappy guide data, no built-in DLNA server, etc.) will prevent the TiVo purchases from making it into the No Regrets purchase category.

Good luck to all finding alternatives for your beloved Moxis -- I'm envious of those who have options that will work better than the TiVo alternative is for us!

dz2k: I guess we'll find out what happens when the guide data ceases to exist. With no guide data & the absence of the ability of the Moxi to schedule manual recordings a la the old SD ReplayTV DVRs, I suspect the ability to schedule any recordings will be gone. I don't know about the ability to watch live TV if we keep paying for the CableCARDs, though -- I'd guess that & the ability to change channels might survive, although I don't know how helpful that would be without the EPG.

<sigh> It seems the end of an era is fast approaching.
tveli likes this.

Last edited by sslund; 04-17-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #7448 of 7448 Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It sure was a good run! In spite of the nits, my Moxi purchases will go in the purchase category of No Regrets!

Since the writing was on the wall (for me, that was when the OS download needed to replace hard drives quit working), we started dabbling with TiVos since that was the only feasible option for us. It's been a mixed bag - some great, some good, some bad. But for us, the "bad" (far too much crappy guide data, no built-in DLNA server, etc.) will prevent the TiVo purchases from making it into the No Regrets purchase category.

Good luck to all finding alternatives for your beloved Moxis -- I'm envious of those who have options that will work better than the TiVo alternative is for us!

dz2k: I guess we'll find out what happens when the guide data ceases to exist. With no guide data & the absence of the ability of the Moxi to schedule manual recordings a la the old SD ReplayTV DVRs, I suspect the ability to schedule any recordings will be gone. I don't know about the ability to watch live TV if we keep paying for the CableCARDs, though -- I'd guess that & the ability to change channels might survive, although I don't know how helpful that would be without the EPG.

<sigh> It seems the end of an era is fast approaching.
I think it's wrong to take a few hundred moxi out of commission after branding this as a lifetime solution. We were able to keep it running on our end yet the powers that be are taking away their end of the deal. I can't commit to another setup like this. I'll keep the moxi around and as long as gracenote updates their channel listings website, we should be ok on the epg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page