Moxi HD DVR - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 176Likes

post #7471 of 7526 Old 05-16-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ok, so after I got an email from Arris yesterday saying the issue had been closed with the boiler plate explanation that MOXi data services are ending on May 24th..

Today I get this.

We have forwarded your request to a higher level of support for consideration. We certainly appreciate your support for this product and thank you again for your feedback.

Thank you,
ARRIS Technical Support Center

Maybe all hope is not lost...
sslund and dz2k like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7526 Old 05-16-2019, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I went to the site and put in a support request today. In a nutshell I asked why dropping EPG support was necessary. If you want to drop Moxi.com fine but leave us with the ability to still be able to use the device. Maybe if they hear from enough people they will not kill it all the way.
sslund likes this.
post #7473 of 7526 Old 05-16-2019, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodow View Post
Ok, so after I got an email from Arris yesterday saying the issue had been closed with the boiler plate explanation that MOXi data services are ending on May 24th..

Today I get this.

We have forwarded your request to a higher level of support for consideration. We certainly appreciate your support for this product and thank you again for your feedback.

Thank you,

Maybe all hope is not lost...
What options did you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7474 of 7526 Old 05-17-2019, 09:43 AM

Here is what I emailed Arris, I removed the intro and non-relevant parts.

Option one: What would Arris charge us to keep the server and data services alive? We are not asking for any support other than maybe the occasional server reboot if something goes wonky and maybe the restoration of the software reload (four finger press) that users could manually do.
We get that there is a cost to maintaining a server and we don’t expect Arris to keep footing that bill. The only thing we ask is that it not be a monthly charge as that was one of the main reasons to buy a retail MOXI in the first place. Anyway shoot us a number and let’s see if we can make both parties happy!

Option two: Straight up how much to buy the server and MOXI.com domain? This would be our second option as it would inevitably cause a disruption in service as the server is moved and reactivated with a new IP address, etc….
sslund and dz2k like this.

Last edited by bodow; 05-17-2019 at 01:17 PM.
post #7475 of 7526 Old 05-17-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Here is what I emailed Arris, I removed the intro and non-relevant parts.

Option one: What would Arris charge us to keep the server and data services alive? We are not asking for any support other than maybe the occasional server reboot if something goes wonky and maybe the restoration of the software reload (four finger press) that users could manually do.
We get that there is a cost to maintaining a server and we don’t expect Arris to keep footing that bill. The only thing we ask is that it not be a monthly charge as that was one of the main reasons to buy a retail MOXI in the first place. Anyway shoot us a number and let’s see if we can make both parties happy!

Option two: Straight up how much to buy the server and MOXI.com domain? This would be our second option as it would inevitably cause a disruption in service as the server is moved and reactivated with a new IP address, etc….
Thanks!

Hopefully, the rest of you know more about this stuff than do I, but I'm starting to wonder if the problem isn't necessarily with servers per se but rather the EPG Gracenote subscription contract fee Arris paid?

Now that we know the buck stops with Arris, my limited understanding (from the CableCo guys who came to my house back when we first got the Moxis & getting the CC working required a truck roll) is that before the direct-to-consumer Moxis, the CableCo Moxi boxes used the CableCo's proprietary EPG rather than the EPG we always got.

I've looked at current Arris products & can't tell whether any of their current video products require an EPG they provide, a cableco provided EPG, or whether some of their products now accept/allow open source EPG delivery? Can anyone sort it out?

I have no idea of what the cost would be to purchase a Gracenote EPG subscription for a (presumably small) group of Moxi users, but depending on the cost of that & something to Arris for the server & maintenance costs, I'd definitely be interested, particularly if there could be space on the server for the OS download for when HDD inevitably fail.
post #7476 of 7526 Old 05-17-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
Thanks!

Hopefully, the rest of you know more about this stuff than do I, but I'm starting to wonder if the problem isn't necessarily with servers per se but rather the EPG Gracenote subscription contract fee Arris paid?

Now that we know the buck stops with Arris, my limited understanding (from the CableCo guys who came to my house back when we first got the Moxis & getting the CC working required a truck roll) is that before the direct-to-consumer Moxis, the CableCo Moxi boxes used the CableCo's proprietary EPG rather than the EPG we always got.

I've looked at current Arris products & can't tell whether any of their current video products require an EPG they provide, a cableco provided EPG, or whether some of their products now accept/allow open source EPG delivery? Can anyone sort it out?

I have no idea of what the cost would be to purchase a Gracenote EPG subscription for a (presumably small) group of Moxi users, but depending on the cost of that & something to Arris for the server & maintenance costs, I'd definitely be interested, particularly if there could be space on the server for the OS download for when HDD inevitably fail.
Agreed and hopefully letting them know we are willing to pay cost to keep it active will at least open a dialog.
sslund likes this.
post #7477 of 7526 Old 05-18-2019, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Thanks for the effort!

Ugh - I'm so not looking forward to this. Just on Monday, the Moxi averted disappointment for me when the TiVo guide - again - was FUBAR & failed to record something. I'd been trying the "hard transition" strategy of mostly using the TiVo, but for the time we've got left, I'm going to go back to enjoying the Moxis' accurate EPG data & far fewer remote clicks to accomplish everything.

Once the data services end, I plan on keeping the no-longer-DVR Moxis running as long as I can - we have a bunch of recorded content we hope to continue to watch throughout the house, and I'm hoping the DLNA aspect will still work. We have an extensive video collection on NAS devices, and while it's not something we do daily, we do watch stuff from that every week or so. It just worked with the Moxis, and with the ReplayTVs before that.

sslund, keep on 'em (TiVo that is). I had to contact them for the FOURTH time to get the channel line-up straight (for what I'd consider a major market, btw). Each time I've gone through this they've made the problem worse instead of trying to fix it. I've got almost all recordings scheduled on both the Moxi and TiVo now and it seems to be working even with the wrong lineup. Last night a show I added new for my wife was recording on the TiVo and she was pleasantly surprised. I was astonished it was working. If their support actually does record and call review they're in for a polite but very displeased earful. I threw down the ZAP2IT gauntlet and the dude who had the misfortune to catch it had to admit that, yes, The Customer did know what the heck he was talking about. We'll see. According to my Moxi account I've got until the end of May (and I'm puzzled about that "end date," too, shouldn't it be two weeks from the last good guide installment?) for scheduled recordings.

MrVXT
post #7478 of 7526 Old 05-18-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVXT View Post
sslund, keep on 'em (TiVo that is). I had to contact them for the FOURTH time to get the channel line-up straight (for what I'd consider a major market, btw). Each time I've gone through this they've made the problem worse instead of trying to fix it. I've got almost all recordings scheduled on both the Moxi and TiVo now and it seems to be working even with the wrong lineup. Last night a show I added new for my wife was recording on the TiVo and she was pleasantly surprised. I was astonished it was working. If their support actually does record and call review they're in for a polite but very displeased earful. I threw down the ZAP2IT gauntlet and the dude who had the misfortune to catch it had to admit that, yes, The Customer did know what the heck he was talking about. We'll see. According to my Moxi account I've got until the end of May (and I'm puzzled about that "end date," too, shouldn't it be two weeks from the last good guide installment?) for scheduled recordings.

MrVXT
Gracenote? I was under the impression from my digging to get TiVo lineups that the underlying source for lineup/guide info was down to Tribune Media who seems to own ZAP2IT.com All the other sources seemed to translate back to them.

Also...had y'all noticed the other new addition to the Moxi website? There was a small banner saying that Arris and Ruckus have joined CommScope. I wonder if that may not be the cause of this end of guide.

MrVXT
post #7479 of 7526 Old 05-18-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVXT View Post
I think/hope the last guide download will be on 5/24, which should give 12(?) more days, so my hope is we'll be good through sometime on 6/4? I plan to update the guide as many times as possible on 5/24 to maybe eek a few more hours out of it.

MrVXT, I've been trying. Since JANUARY. From the beginning, (late Dec) my PBS channels were messed up. I filled out the form with all details - they closed the case with no changes. Second time, they insisted on an official printout from my cableco office (which happens to be in another state). That printout was outdated (08/2018) & doesn't show one of the PBS channels we've always received - "everyone knows they get that channel" says the cableco, but TiVo closed out the case again. So I printed out the channel guide from the cableco's web site - that's not an "official printout from my cableco office," so they closed the case again. I sent them the correct info from Zap2It - again, not good enough & case closed. I sent them flippin' photos from my flippin' cable box - again, that's not an official printout from my cableco office, so case closed AGAIN. Went back to the cableco across state lines in the other state three weeks ago -- the "official printout" hasn't been updated. I sent them a printout from IdahoPublicTV - again not good enough & case closed. Again.

And, episode descriptions are completely lacking for several PBS shows other than two episode numbers per episode -- often conflicting - and different episodes can have the same two episode numbers (or two different episode #s ) and still be completely different episodes. There is no rhyme or reason.

Oh - but they did add an unsolicited channel to my lineup this week - Video On Demand. Which doesn't work with TiVo. ARRGH.

One of THE most frustrating 5.5 months in my LIFE, and I have to say, I never had this problem when there were Moxi lineup issues, even after Moxi bowed out & I had to contact Gracenote directly. SHM
post #7480 of 7526 Old 05-19-2019, 12:39 AM

sslund, that all sounds painfully familiar. I tried submitting the lineup request through the website which was a useless exercise. After that I called. I think that the main thing that I end up repeating is "you're NOT listening..." because I constantly get "talked over" when I'm trying to explain. The second iteration only resulted in losing useful lineups for my ZIPcode and I had the UNmitigated gall to use the name of the lineup I get from the Moxi. The latest included the ZAP1IT info. The most irritating part is looking at "my support" and seeing "resolution sent" for the issues that haven't been touched. Keep watching your email, though, a fix could arrive at any moment! Er, right, sure. I'm holding my breath for Publishers Clearing House prize patrol to show up, too.

Like you said, it's frustrating when Moxi "just works" so well and so easily. Selecting the correct lineup has never been an issue, it was always clear and obvious even without any hints from Comcast. The ONLY complaint that I've had with Moxi has been getting some variation of "you don't subscribe" to, mainly, premium channels. The ones I get in my package aren't "subscriptions" but, nevertheless, it takes a few minutes to get the cable card to synch.
post #7481 of 7526 Old 05-20-2019, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Agreed and hopefully letting them know we are willing to pay cost to keep it active will at least open a dialog.
thank you for all your hard work. We have to find a way to keep our EPG and data services going. I'm up for sslund suggestion of being able to use Schedules Direct to serve our guide data if necessary. I would like to say it doesn't appear the espial moxi website has any decommission messaging: https://espial.moxi.com/login.jsp. I also think espial brands the newer moxi models as g4 stb clients and they don't appear to be going anywhere.
post #7482 of 7526 Old 05-20-2019, 01:06 PM

sigh...I love tennis... Got this today

Thank you for contacting ARRIS Technical Support Center. I am the escalation manager and will be happy to provide you an answer to your email request. Our company appreciates your long term support for the Moxi DVR. Unfortunately, ARRIS/CommScope does not own the software, hardware, or platform for the Moxi anymore. The notice that was posted on our website was provided as a courtesy for Moxi users looking for information regarding their boxes. Espial now control the Moxi and have informed us the service is being shut down and there will be no alternative solution.

Feel free to check out https://www.arris.com/products/areas...video-devices/ for a new HD DVR solution that can replace the Moxi DVR. I understand your continued loyalty does not want to see the Moxi go out of commission but Espial determined the additional 3 years of data service support needs to cease for future deployments.

For information on ARRIS products, we invite you to visit our website at: http://www.arris.com

Thank you,
Greg

I once again reached BACK out to Espial
post #7483 of 7526 Old 05-21-2019, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
sigh...I love tennis... Got this today

Thank you for contacting ARRIS Technical Support Center. I am the escalation manager and will be happy to provide you an answer to your email request. Our company appreciates your long term support for the Moxi DVR. Unfortunately, ARRIS/CommScope does not own the software, hardware, or platform for the Moxi anymore. The notice that was posted on our website was provided as a courtesy for Moxi users looking for information regarding their boxes. Espial now control the Moxi and have informed us the service is being shut down and there will be no alternative solution.

Feel free to check out https://www.arris.com/products/areas...video-devices/ for a new HD DVR solution that can replace the Moxi DVR. I understand your continued loyalty does not want to see the Moxi go out of commission but Espial determined the additional 3 years of data service support needs to cease for future deployments.

For information on ARRIS products, we invite you to visit our website at: http://www.arris.com

Thank you,
Greg

I once again reached BACK out to Espial
It's a he said, she said game now. They know which company is pulling the switch. I would guess Arris is to blame.
post #7484 of 7526 Old 05-21-2019, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
It's a he said, she said game now. They know which company is pulling the switch. I would guess Arris is to blame.
Here is the relevant info from the ticket I put in:

ARRIS must turn its focus forward and invest in newer video technology to deliver the future of personalized and connected services. Unfortunately, we cannot continue with support for the product going forward. We are also unable to make any commitments regarding any proprietary options for the product and support services.

We will direct your comments and feedback to the appropriate parties within ARRIS. Thank you again for your ongoing support and passion for Moxi.

Seems this is the end of the line. I got 5 good years out of my Moxi's. I have kept one of them alive just for nostalgia sake. As for TIVO it is a mystery how a large company like that can have so many guide issues. I have suffered with them and it usually took a couple of tries before things got corrected. If you check out the TIVO forums you will see that is probably their number one complaint.

Thank you to everyone that has kept fighting. I still have a faint bit of hope something good will happen.
post #7485 of 7526 Old 05-21-2019, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about locally serving the EPG?

Prior to Moxi I was a proud owner of several ReplayTV boxes. If I remember correctly the first and only automatic commercial skip feature. Didn't someone sue them out of existence?

As ReplayTV suffered a similar death, some cleaver folks created WiRNS (www[dot]wirns[dot]com) which allow anyone to source EPG and publish to their local ReplayTVs. The site is still running.

1. Is it possible to do the same thing with Moxi?
2. Anyone look into adapting that software to support Moxi?

3. Since I've powered down and boxed up my Moxi equipment to be shipped to another forum member, I can't test whether you can manually program a channel, start time, and duration. While ugly it would allow for effectively manual bypassing of EPG.

I'll keenly watch and see it Espial ever responds to @bodow .
post #7486 of 7526 Old 05-21-2019, 10:14 AM

I received this today.

Espial and ARRIS have collectively reviewed the request for additional support for the Moxi retail customers however neither Espial nor Arris are able to support your request to continue support for the retail solution. Espial / ARRIS have provided ample notice of termination and extended support significantly beyond the initially published deadline.

I've filed a complaint with the Ontario BBB. Let's see if that gets their attention. Don't tell us we can use this device until 08\05\2021 and then decide you no longer want to honor that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOXI1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	2569654  
sslund likes this.
post #7487 of 7526 Old 05-21-2019, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Bodow, for a mere $4/month I will call you up on the phone until 2021 to jolt you into changing to whatever channel and hitting record on Moxi. (Or you can record using your BetaMax, admit you still have one running!!!! I was an S-VHS guy all the way.)
boiler_maker likes this.
post #7488 of 7526 Old 05-21-2019, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnections View Post
Prior to Moxi I was a proud owner of several ReplayTV boxes. If I remember correctly the first and only automatic commercial skip feature. Didn't someone sue them out of existence?

As ReplayTV suffered a similar death, some cleaver folks created WiRNS (www[dot]wirns[dot]com) which allow anyone to source EPG and publish to their local ReplayTVs. The site is still running.

3. Since I've powered down and boxed up my Moxi equipment to be shipped to another forum member, I can't test whether you can manually program a channel, start time, and duration. While ugly it would allow for effectively manual bypassing of EPG.

I'll keenly watch and see it Espial ever responds to @bodow.
Someone should pose the question on those forums and let us know.

Quote:
I received this today.

Espial and ARRIS have collectively reviewed the request for additional support for the Moxi retail customers however neither Espial nor Arris are able to support your request to continue support for the retail solution. Espial / ARRIS have provided ample notice of termination and extended support significantly beyond the initially published deadline.

I've filed a complaint with the Ontario BBB. Let's see if that gets their attention. Don't tell us we can use this device until 08\05\2021 and then decide you no longer want to honor that!
Thanks for all of your hard work! Feel free to post the web link to file a complaint with the Ontario BBB so the rest of us can join you. I signed up for a lifetime subscription. I could find that proof if I needed to.
post #7489 of 7526 Old 05-22-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:

I'm one of those people still using ReplayTVs, and AFAIK, there are two options still working to serve the EPG to RTVs. The WiRNS method is what I use & requires a Schedules Direct subscription ($25/year IIRC). LaHo is more expensive but reportedly easier - I've never used it.

Both, however, require the ability to change the DNS server, which isn't available on the Moxis.

And, I'm quite sad to see the PlanetReplay/WiRNS/LaHO forums are either having issues or have been hacked or gone away. I've not had reason to visit since last September, and so many of those who'd kept things going had moved on in one way or another. I'd advise extreme caution when trying to access the PlanetReplay forums.

Quote:
I also am pretty sure setting up manual recordings that don't rely on the EPG was never possible on the Moxis. This was a question I asked sometime back in 2010 when we first got the Moxis & the gurus then said scheduling was completely dependent on the EPG.

This is why discontinuation of the EPG removes the R part of the DVR

At least, that's my understanding.
post #7490 of 7526 Old 05-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Here is the direct link to file a BBB claim against Espial

https://www.bbb.org/ca/on/ottawa/pro...inc-0117-69000
post #7491 of 7526 Old 05-23-2019, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm one of those people still using ReplayTVs, and AFAIK, there are two options still working to serve the EPG to RTVs. The WiRNS method is what I use & requires a Schedules Direct subscription ($25/year IIRC). LaHo is more expensive but reportedly easier - I've never used it.

Both, however, require the ability to change the DNS server, which isn't available on the Moxis.

And, I'm quite sad to see the PlanetReplay/WiRNS/LaHO forums are either having issues or have been hacked or gone away. I've not had reason to visit since last September, and so many of those who'd kept things going had moved on in one way or another. I'd advise extreme caution when trying to access the PlanetReplay forums.

I also am pretty sure setting up manual recordings that don't rely on the EPG was never possible on the Moxis. This was a question I asked sometime back in 2010 when we first got the Moxis & the gurus then said scheduling was completely dependent on the EPG.

This is why discontinuation of the EPG removes the R part of the DVR

At least, that's my understanding.

The DNS on the moxi can be changed via most routers. We need to find a way to get an alternate method for data services if Espial and Arris pull the plug on us.

Last edited by dz2k; 05-25-2019 at 11:01 PM.
post #7492 of 7526 Old 05-24-2019, 02:35 PM

REMINDER: Force Manual EPG Update TODAY

I don't know if Arris/Espial planned on rolling out a final EPG update today, but I've made sure to force a manual EPG update on our Moxis today.

My current EPG goes to 1 PM Thursday, 6/6 .
post #7493 of 7526 Old 05-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I just tried to update my guide and somewhat quickly I got the message that Home and Internet Connections are Active but "Failed to connect to Moxi service". This was just like last time. Moxi.com is still working and I can see my account and scheduled to record info, It still shows the Online scheduling and I can still schedule stuff to record. so the Moxi and Moxi,com can still communicate. I guess the EPG update is the only thing that has changed. So the line has been drawn and countdown begins. My scheduled recording go through 6/5.

We went to the Local Spectrum Office the other day and picked up one of their DVRs (only 2 tuners) so we could at least have something in the meantime. We are leaning towards the Tivo BOLT since it has an editable channel lineup but are also stalling a bit to see if the new HDHomerun PRIME 6 comes out. I connected the Spectrum box next to the Moxi and it is not working. All channels (even the basic ones) are either black screen or says Not Available except for a few random ones, I noticed a few channels are missing or different so maybe the new box has the wrong channel lineup and that is why my channels are not working. I'm not looking forward to spending my afternoon with Spectrum Customer service. you know they are going to want me to reboot that darn thing even though I already rebooted it. Oh well.
post #7494 of 7526 Old 05-25-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMachin View Post
So I just tried to update my guide and somewhat quickly I got the message that Home and Internet Connections are Active but "Failed to connect to Moxi service". This was just like last time. Moxi.com is still working and I can see my account and scheduled to record info, It still shows the Online scheduling and I can still schedule stuff to record. so the Moxi and Moxi,com can still communicate. I guess the EPG update is the only thing that has changed. So the line has been drawn and countdown begins. My scheduled recording go through 6/5.

We went to the Local Spectrum Office the other day and picked up one of their DVRs (only 2 tuners) so we could at least have something in the meantime. We are leaning towards the Tivo BOLT since it has an editable channel lineup but are also stalling a bit to see if the new HDHomerun PRIME 6 comes out. I connected the Spectrum box next to the Moxi and it is not working. All channels (even the basic ones) are either black screen or says Not Available except for a few random ones, I noticed a few channels are missing or different so maybe the new box has the wrong channel lineup and that is why my channels are not working. I'm not looking forward to spending my afternoon with Spectrum Customer service. you know they are going to want me to reboot that darn thing even though I already rebooted it. Oh well.
Good bye MOXI!

I've put my MOXI to rest. It's given me 12 years of service. It replaced a "Replay" DVR. I can say I've gotten my money's worth. Replacing it is a "Tivo Bolt vox" box. It's much smaller and after a few hours of monkeying with it, I've learned to operate it. The only bad thing I can say about it, is that it seems to "push" shows at me. It doesn't know what I'm interested in watching, and I can always ignore the "Suggestions." I figured out how to "delete" the stuff I'm not interested in.

This Tivo will pick up Amazon and VUDU offerings, but I'd rather not put them on it I get those on my Vizio TV. I never filled up my hard drive on the MOXI. I'm just not a "collector."
post #7495 of 7526 Old 05-25-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool Good bye MOXI

Good bye MOXI!

I've put my MOXI to rest. It's given me 12 years of service. It replaced a "Replay" DVR. I can say I've gotten my money's worth. Replacing it is a "Tivo Bolt vox" box. It's much smaller and after a few hours of monkeying with it, I've learned to operate it. The only bad thing I can say about it, is that it seems to "push" shows at me. It doesn't know what I'm interested in watching, and I can always ignore the "Suggestions." I figured out how to "delete" the stuff I'm not interested in.

This Tivo will pick up Amazon and VUDU offerings, but I'd rather not put them on it I get those on my Vizio TV. I never filled up my hard drive on the MOXI. I'm just not a "collector."
post #7496 of 7526 Old 05-26-2019, 10:56 PM

Gone TiVo?

If you're moving to TiVo and, like I did, buy used (a Roamio Pro if it matters)? Keep in mind that the used box will have "memory" from the previous owner even after transferring the account to you. I had hundreds of shows that the unit "recalls" recording that were location-specific to the previous owner (who, by the way, hadn't had the unit connected since 2017). Suggestions feeds from those records/memories and will fill in the blanks for you and record tons of $h...uff that may be of no interest. This was even after the unit was "reset" to factory.

TiVo is nothing earth-shattering. It seems to work but it IS much different from the Moxi. For instance, IF you're watching a show or channel you're about to record it'll give you a little "burp" (black screen, no audio) as it starts...besides the announcement it's starting. Finding shows and setting up recordings can be more complicated but it's learnable even if it's a little clumsier. Moxi was pretty direct and simple about it's business. TiVo is cutesy and gimmicky, has cute names for operations. The job can be done as long as you're OK with the "Hello, Kitty" atmosphere. Having a raft of tuners IS nice but, right now in the "growing stages" volume recording isn't queueing them up yet.

One frequent frustration I experienced with the Moxi (didn't matter if it was connected in Alabama or GA). Sometimes when I tuned to a channel I'd either get a burst of audio alone or a couple seconds video and audio and then one of two messages. "You don't subscribe to this channel, blah blah blah" or "you're having trouble with this channel, either your signal is gone or you don't subscribe, call your provider" Sometimes it'd clear up quickly, sometimes it would take 10-30 seconds, sometimes it would require you tune the channel manually before it would display properly. I had that same issue both on the 2-tuner and 3-tuner with independent M-cards. SO FAR the TiVo hasn't had that issue.

One other thing that I'll miss from Moxiland: Online scheduling. Supposedly I can load a TiVo app to my phone but that's just not cutting it for me, I have no interest. Call it a religious issue but...just no. TiVo has a website and I've got an account setup. Based on experience from Moxi it's more flash and dancing balogna than anything functional. The remote for my theater system to which the TiVo is connected will, supposedly, perform some TiVo functions but requires that I only setup the TiVo on the sole "AUX" button. The TiVo remote will only add functions for a device or two so it's not "universal" by any stretch of the imagination.

Just another learning curve, I guess.

MrVXT
post #7497 of 7526 Old 05-27-2019, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

if you are divesting your moxi dvr, please send me a PM and i'll pay for shipping to me.
post #7498 of 7526 Old 05-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have been out of action for a while and came back to all this.

Following others I have jumped to Tivo and just ordered a unit from an outfit called weaknees.com

They have Roamio and Premeire refurbished units with TiVo's AIP (All-in Plan) meaning NO FEES for the life of the unit.

Also their specialty is large drives for Tivo up to 10 Tb.

I got an extended 3 yr warranty just in case.

I'm sorry I couldn't save things this time.
sslund likes this.
post #7499 of 7526 Old 05-30-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzippy View Post
I have been out of action for a while and came back to all this.

Following others I have jumped to Tivo and just ordered a unit from an outfit called weaknees.com

They have Roamio and Premeire refurbished units with TiVo's AIP (All-in Plan) meaning NO FEES for the life of the unit.

Also their specialty is large drives for Tivo up to 10 Tb.

I got an extended 3 yr warranty just in case.

I'm sorry I couldn't save things this time.
We appreciate your efforts & I hope all is well with you!

FWIW, I did try - unsuccessfully - to get the Moxis to accept EPG data from Schedules Direct via WiRNs by messing with my router's DNS. I don't have the technical understanding to know why it didn't work but assume the Moxi's encrypted Linux OS is so locked down it won't allow the connection.

Weaknees is great - I've been dealing with them since back in the ReplayTV days. That's were I got our Roamios Plus AIP back when the writing was first on the wall when Arris/Espial yanked the 4FP.

The TiVos aren't all bad, but they aren't Moxis. From my perspective (5 months now) the absolutely worst part is the crappy EPG data - utter rot far too much of the time. Also, I've been working since January to get a simple guide error fixed -- they have two of our PBS channels reversed. It's ridiculous that they've still not corrected it. From what I've read, things EPG-wise went really downhill when Rovi bought TiVo.

Suggestion when you get your TiVo: immediately deselect the default Suggestions crap. Our TiVos started mysteriously-to-me recording stuff the first day or 2 until I figured it out. SMH.

With respect to the Moxis, once the EPG runs out, I'll be pulling & returning the CableCARDs but keeping the Moxis running as long as I can for the DLNA function. TiVos work with Plex, but Plex thinks my NAS devices where we have our extensive video collections are too old . . . even though they work fine. SMH.

Best wishes,
Saundra
post #7500 of 7526 Old 06-04-2019, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Roamio is here. Will hook up tomorrow.

Looking at how to hook up I see something I may need advice on.

Current hook up is Cable --> MTR700 Tuning Adapter --> Moxi -- TV.

Setup poster shows the following:

Connect to cable service

Connect the coaxial RFcable coming from the wall to the CABLE (MoCA) port on the back of your DVR.

if the cable is connected to the TV or cable box, disconnect it and connect to the TIVo DVR instead.

Does this mean I bypass the MTR700 tuning adapter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page