Moxi HD DVR - Page 251 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 177Likes

post #7501 of 7531 Old 06-04-2019, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Talked w Weaknees. They said leave tuning adapter in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 7531 Old 06-05-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzippy View Post
Roamio is here. Will hook up tomorrow.

Looking at how to hook up I see something I may need advice on.

Current hook up is Cable --> MTR700 Tuning Adapter --> Moxi -- TV.

Setup poster shows the following:

Connect to cable service

Connect the coaxial RFcable coming from the wall to the CABLE (MoCA) port on the back of your DVR.

if the cable is connected to the TV or cable box, disconnect it and connect to the TIVo DVR instead.

Does this mean I bypass the MTR700 tuning adapter?
I just set mine up last night and I had to use the tuning adapter. Plugged in just Like the MOXI. Setup went pretty quick actually...
post #7503 of 7531 Old 06-07-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I did file a complaint with the FCC online, recomend others do the same!

I had the same problem. Sounds like Moxi is defining end of life. It's pure BS. When I bought this DVR I bought a working operating system with it. By killing programing support the are artificially killing DVR. I'm all for a class action law suit or at the very lest complaining to the FCC,etc. If you look at the program guide on their site it looks normal. However on the Moxi box it is all screwed up. Looks like they sabotaged the box on purpose. They merged the high definitions progams with lower and all delineation hourly shows is gone.
Billcor62

Last edited by Billcor62; 06-07-2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: update information,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7504 of 7531 Old 06-07-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
moxi alternatives

It looks like almost everyone is transitioning to TIVO...a very logical approach since is the closest moxi relative. However I decided that i will keep using my moxi even without the EPG or recording function and just add for every tv a roku box with the spectrum app installed and play my live tv this way using the streaming app. Roku boxes are cheap $30 each you can install spectrum app or xfinity app and have all the channels you would normally get with a moxi or a cable box, plus you will have the guide provided by your cable provider, also you can use the roku remote to change channels or pull up the guide. You cannot record with the roku box but that is not that important to me because the app provides the on demand content a thing that moxi did not. Another alternative to roku box is xbox one. If setup right between moxi and TV, the xbox one plays all the channels and provides the guide for you.
As far as recording goes there is a way to record using xbox one but I chose the hauppauge PVR recorder. I put the Pvr recorder between moxi and tv and it records on my computer hdd using usb cable while the infrared blaster changes channels. The tv screen act as a second display for my computer so no issues playing the recordings. I can schedule recordings this way using titantv.com website.
We will see how fast the wife and kids can adapt to the new roku remote and spectrum guide but as far as I am concerned the little box is very smooth no lag at changing channels pulls the guide promptly no issues so far. There are other ways to record like capturing a sligbox stream or using other boxes but as I said for me recording is not a big deal, guide though is. I need to know what am I watching or what comes next and this box provides that for me.
By the way why the online guide is still functioning? You cannot schedule recordings online anymore but the guide on our moxi online account still works.
post #7505 of 7531 Old 06-07-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Moxi RIP

For some reason, I missed the warning that May 24th would be the last program update.

Was watching recorded program last night and went to check the program guide for a new recording, and saw that my program guide was empty and the channels were displayed in a different way.

First went to Moxi.com to see what was up, then over to here to read the last few pages of posts.

Too bad there wasn't an open API that we could use to load up some of the publicly available programming guides, or whoever is in charge of Moxi would send one last update to enable timed recordings. Oh well, it was great while it lasted.

I got my original Moxi to test SATA support for external drives. Moxi certified my company's (LaCie) external 6TB array. That was a large amount of storage back in 2008. Still have been using that original 2-tuner MOxi, though I've had to replace the internal 1.5TB drive 2 times. A few years ago, I picked up a 3-tuner model, as well as some Moxi Mates. Except for the occasional IP address issue, all had been working great for years.

My first 3rd party DVR was the original 14-hour TiVo that I won in TiVo's jingle contest. Of course, I updated that TiVo to a huge 60GB drive quickly, and it was connected to my DirecTV box. Had Lifetime, too on that DVR.

When DirecTiVos were introduced, switched to several of those in the house until HD took off. Didn't trust the TiVo transition to HD back then, so when HD was solid, and I got FiOS in my neighborhood, switched to the cable-company DVRs (Motorola), and left DirecTV and DirecTiVo.

I was an early adopter of Moxi, and have been there ever since.

A few months ago, I took advantage of that refurb TiVo w/Lifetime deal, and it has been collecting dust, waiting for this moment. Just a few weeks ago, a TiVo friend asked me how my Moxi's were holding out. What a prescient question.

Well. now it's time to dig thru the 2TB HDD collection to see which one will work reliably in the new TiVo.

By the way, both of my Moxi's are full of programming; one is 1.5TB, the other is 2.0TB. I pulled the cable card from one of them, and the recorded programs still play back. Will be using one of the pulled cable cards in the new TiVo.

Thanks to all who've been answering questions over the years. Anyone need another Moxi (yepp, have a 3rd spare) or some Moxi Mates?

Next I upgraded to

M2 in OR
-----------------------------------
we live in interesting times
-----------------------------------
post #7506 of 7531 Old 06-07-2019, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
We appreciate your efforts & I hope all is well with you!

FWIW, I did try - unsuccessfully - to get the Moxis to accept EPG data from Schedules Direct via WiRNs by messing with my router's DNS. I don't have the technical understanding to know why it didn't work but assume the Moxi's encrypted Linux OS is so locked down it won't allow the connection.

Weaknees is great - I've been dealing with them since back in the ReplayTV days. That's were I got our Roamios Plus AIP back when the writing was first on the wall when Arris/Espial yanked the 4FP.

The TiVos aren't all bad, but they aren't Moxis. From my perspective (5 months now) the absolutely worst part is the crappy EPG data - utter rot far too much of the time. Also, I've been working since January to get a simple guide error fixed -- they have two of our PBS channels reversed. It's ridiculous that they've still not corrected it. From what I've read, things EPG-wise went really downhill when Rovi bought TiVo.

Suggestion when you get your TiVo: immediately deselect the default Suggestions crap. Our TiVos started mysteriously-to-me recording stuff the first day or 2 until I figured it out. SMH.

With respect to the Moxis, once the EPG runs out, I'll be pulling & returning the CableCARDs but keeping the Moxis running as long as I can for the DLNA function. TiVos work with Plex, but Plex thinks my NAS devices where we have our extensive video collections are too old . . . even though they work fine. SMH.

Best wishes,
Saundra
thanks for trying to get the Moxis to accept EPG data from Schedules Direct via WiRNs. I assume you weren't able to get the guide data to load and that's why you said you were unsuccessful. did anyone ask WiRNs how?

Last edited by dz2k; 06-16-2019 at 08:42 PM.
post #7507 of 7531 Old 06-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmihalik View Post
For some reason, I missed the warning that May 24th would be the last program update.

Was watching recorded program last night and went to check the program guide for a new recording, and saw that my program guide was empty and the channels were displayed in a different way.

First went to Moxi.com to see what was up, then over to here to read the last few pages of posts.

Too bad there wasn't an open API that we could use to load up some of the publicly available programming guides, or whoever is in charge of Moxi would send one last update to enable timed recordings. Oh well, it was great while it lasted.

I got my original Moxi to test SATA support for external drives. Moxi certified my company's (LaCie) external 6TB array. That was a large amount of storage back in 2008. Still have been using that original 2-tuner MOxi, though I've had to replace the internal 1.5TB drive 2 times. A few years ago, I picked up a 3-tuner model, as well as some Moxi Mates. Except for the occasional IP address issue, all had been working great for years.

My first 3rd party DVR was the original 14-hour TiVo that I won in TiVo's jingle contest. Of course, I updated that TiVo to a huge 60GB drive quickly, and it was connected to my DirecTV box. Had Lifetime, too on that DVR.

When DirecTiVos were introduced, switched to several of those in the house until HD took off. Didn't trust the TiVo transition to HD back then, so when HD was solid, and I got FiOS in my neighborhood, switched to the cable-company DVRs (Motorola), and left DirecTV and DirecTiVo.

A few months ago, I took advantage of that refurb TiVo w/Lifetime deal, and it has been collecting dust, waiting for this moment. Just a few weeks ago, a TiVo friend asked me how my Moxi's were holding out. What a prescient question.

Well. now it's time to dig thru the 2TB HDD collection to see which one will work reliably in the new TiVo.

By the way, both of my Moxi's are full of programming; one is 1.5TB, the other is 2.0TB. I pulled the cable card from one of them, and the recorded programs still play back. Will be using one of the pulled cable cards in the new TiVo.

Thanks to all who've been answering questions over the years. Anyone need another Moxi (yepp, have a 3rd spare) or some Moxi Mates?

Next I upgraded to
That is what really ticks me off. They could have sent an update to keep the EPG updated via public means. And then to find out Moxi.com is still active really rubs salt in the wound. They are just being [email protected]%holes at this point.

I have given some thought to filing an FCC complaint.
post #7508 of 7531 Old 06-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Moved to Tivo Bolt Vox

The Moxi experience was good overall. Sad that it has to end due to a rather arbitrary corporate decision to refuse to provide an ongoing EPG. Reminds me a bit of the end of life of my trusted old ReplayTVs a decade or so back although the Replay died due to the transition from analog to digital cable transmissions which was pretty much unavoidable as technology improved over the years.

Amazon sold me a Tivo Bolt Vox (1TB, 6 tuner) for $230. Setup was on par with the original Moxi setup. Yes, it still depends on the Tuning Adapter, but channel changing is slightly faster with the Tivo as compared to the Moxi. And I've yet to encounter the "You do not subscribe to this channel" message that Moxi sometimes displayed just seconds prior to displaying the content properly.

Anyway, the 1TB storage may turn out to be a bit tight. If so I'll explore my options for either an external eSATA drive, or swap of the internal drive. Toshiba apparently makes the most popular Tivo 3TB upgrade drive.

And I opted for the All-In Service (lifetime of the Tivo unit) as the annual cost for 4 years exceeds the All-In one time price. A bit pricey up front but I'm hopeful that Tivo will be more honorable than Arris proved to be and this Tivo Bolt will last much longer than that...

Good luck to my fellow Moxi owners. FWIW, I will say that the Tivo Bolt Vox has exceeded my hopes for a suitable Moxi replacement. Even my wife has transitioned to it without complaint.

-Hawk
post #7509 of 7531 Old 06-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

for those that still have a moxi and motorola tuning adapter, is your tuning adapter light flashing?

Last edited by dz2k; 06-16-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #7510 of 7531 Old 06-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmihalik View Post

Next I upgraded to
they did, at least, give a warning and a message to the moxi itself. some companies just shut down legacy stuff without notice.
post #7511 of 7531 Old 06-10-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Had a bit of trouble during Tivo install with cablecard sync.

Tivo support was very good and called Cox Cable for a 3-way call. Worked on this for about an hour with both of them. Conclusion was to get another cablecard and tuning adapter. Hooked them up and called Cox to activate cablecard. As soon as sync was complete, video came through. Service from Tivo was good enough that I called them the next day to report success and to thank them for the good service.

Taking a bit to finding my way around but coming along.

Like the SkipMode for available channels but could be a bit smoother. For those channels w/o SkipMode, I'm using the jump button but it is only good for 30 seconds. Been hitting it 6 - 8 times for commercials

Moxi was set to skip 3 minutes and that worked reasonably well. Is there a way to set the jump to 3 minutes?
post #7512 of 7531 Old 06-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Liked: 0
Moxi unresponsive today

My Moxi stopped responding at all today. Yesterday I could change channels and play pre-5-24 recorded videos. Today, I am stuck on the last channel I was watching and the moxi is not functioning as a DVR. Neither the remote nor the on-box controls work. Anyone else having this experience?
post #7513 of 7531 Old 06-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinki-itten View Post
My Moxi stopped responding at all today. Yesterday I could change channels and play pre-5-24 recorded videos. Today, I am stuck on the last channel I was watching and the moxi is not functioning as a DVR. Neither the remote nor the on-box controls work. Anyone else having this experience?
Yikes, yes, but a roboot resolved.

Good luck!
post #7514 of 7531 Old 06-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinki-itten View Post
Not sure if it's related or if you even had one, but I just removed my cable card and tuning adapter and now I can't access any of my previously recorded shows. Since there is no signal I can't do anything DVR related. For me it's not worth the $3 a month I'm donating to Charter to keep those shows. I'll just record them again or watch online.

So far I'm pretty impressed with the TIVO. Almost makes me wonder why I held on to a MOXI for so long... The OnePass feature was very helpful in setting up series I had setup on the MOXI. As long as it was on anywhere I could set it to record all channels. Kind of nice to not have to wait for it to come back on during the year.
post #7515 of 7531 Old 06-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodow View Post
Not sure if it's related or if you even had one, but I just removed my cable card and tuning adapter and now I can't access any of my previously recorded shows. Since there is no signal I can't do anything DVR related. For me it's not worth the $3 a month I'm donating to Charter to keep those shows. I'll just record them again or watch online.
EDIT: I tested by pulling the CC on one of ours, did a cold reboot, and we are still able to watch previously recorded shows. We don't have TAs, but I can't imagine that would make a difference? If you've not already done so, a cold reboot should restore your ability to watch your recorded stuff without a CC & TA.

Wait - I'm confused. Did you reboot? I've not pulled my CCs yet (we have a lot going on), but in the distant past, I recall the Moxi working without a working CC to watch previously recorded content.

This is concerning - can anyone else report their experiences?

Last edited by sslund; 06-11-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #7516 of 7531 Old 06-11-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Wait - I'm confused. Did you reboot? I've not pulled my CCs yet (we have a lot going on), but in the distant past, I recall the Moxi working without a working CC to watch previously recorded content.

This is concerning - can anyone else report their experiences?
Good call on the reboot. I'm able to see old shows now. When I tried before the reboot it wanted a cable card. I was trying to find a way to remove it from the account. Didn't even think of a reboot
sslund likes this.
post #7517 of 7531 Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Anyone having issues with Media Link? My two Moxis are no longer connected.
post #7518 of 7531 Old 06-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Jedi View Post
Anyone having issues with Media Link? My two Moxis are no longer connected.
No problem here - our three Moxis see each other & still see the other media servers & their content on our network.
post #7519 of 7531 Old 06-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
No moxi problems here except the missing guide data and usual fonts getting corrupted over time. Reboot will cure one of those issues.
post #7520 of 7531 Old 06-17-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Missing Guide Data only. I am going to watch my stored programs for a while on the one Moxi and we replaced the other with a Tivo. Getting used to the Tivo slowly.
post #7521 of 7531 Old 06-22-2019, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcor62 View Post
I had the same problem. Sounds like Moxi is defining end of life. It's pure BS. When I bought this DVR I bought a working operating system with it. By killing programing support the are artificially killing DVR. I'm all for a class action law suit or at the very lest complaining to the FCC,etc. If you look at the program guide on their site it looks normal. However on the Moxi box it is all screwed up. Looks like they sabotaged the box on purpose. They merged the high definitions progams with lower and all delineation hourly shows is gone.
Billcor62

I jumped to the FCC site, I didn't see any path to lodge a complaint against Espial. What's the magic incantation?

MrVXT
post #7522 of 7531 Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVXT View Post
I jumped to the FCC site, I didn't see any path to lodge a complaint against Espial. What's the magic incantation?

MrVXT
I don't think the fcc oversees Espial as it's headquartered in Canada. I think Canada has a different group overseeing it and I forgot the name. The BBB complaint filed didn't even get a response..
post #7523 of 7531 Old 06-22-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

We once figured out ffp but what has been done to get our guide data back working?
post #7524 of 7531 Old 06-22-2019, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
We once figured out ffp but what has been done to get our guide data back working?

I am thinking that would require a system update. Probably two lines of code and then push it out to all the online Moxi's. The real kicker is that the Moxi site still lets me login and will still pull up my recordings! What gives?

Here is the link on how to file a complaint with the FCC: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...rmal-complaint
post #7525 of 7531 Old 06-22-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xignals View Post
I am thinking that would require a system update. Probably two lines of code and then push it out to all the online Moxi's. The real kicker is that the Moxi site still lets me login and will still pull up my recordings! What gives?

Here is the link on how to file a complaint with the FCC: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...rmal-complaint
Also, the guide data still exists on the Moxi site, which is the real kicker for me. I thought the most likely reason for crippling the recording function of our DVRs was "they" were tired of paying for the Guide Data for us legacy folks, and I could understand that even if I didn't agree with it. It seems to me they are still paying for it - they just cut off our access, which pisses me off. It's just such a petty, petty thing for them to do - that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
post #7526 of 7531 Old 06-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also, the guide data still exists on the Moxi site, which is the real kicker for me. I thought the most likely reason for crippling the recording function of our DVRs was "they" were tired of paying for the Guide Data for us legacy folks, and I could understand that even if I didn't agree with it. It seems to me they are still paying for it - they just cut off our access, which pisses me off. It's just such a petty, petty thing for them to do - that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
They still have to support the Espial moxi site, which has a separate site but probably is the exact same guide data. what did you do to test the WIRNS method for moxi? I know you changed dns. I guess you tried to update guide data on moxi and I guess it failed. is that correct?
post #7527 of 7531 Old 07-03-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Someone should pose the question on those forums and let us know.

Thanks for all of your hard work! Feel free to post the web link to file a complaint with the Ontario BBB so the rest of us can join you. I signed up for a lifetime subscription. I could find that proof if I needed to.
I also filed a complaint with the BBB, in Illinois since that where Arris division responsible for the hardware is located. The BBB accepted my complaint
and will get back to me in a few weeks. Incidentally Arris has a low rating at the BBB.
post #7528 of 7531 Old 07-03-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVXT View Post

MrVXT
I also filed a complaint with the BBB, in Illinois since that where Arris division responsible for the hardware is located. The BBB accepted my complaint
and will get back to me in a few weeks. Incidentally Arris has a low rating at the BBB.
post #7529 of 7531 Old 07-17-2019, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzippy View Post
Moxi was set to skip 3 minutes and that worked reasonably well. Is there a way to set the jump to 3 minutes?
One way to achieve this is to use something like the Logitech 665 Harmony (or similar model) and create a macro that enters the skip forward key 6 times. Or you could customize the interval on different keys if you wanted.

I had always used the Moxi 30 second skip and thus was accustomed to hitting the button multiple times.

So far I've found the Tivo to be a bit more advanced (in features and performance) than my Moxi. But I do not appreciate Arris' decision to orphan my lifetime subscripion Moxi. Hopefully Tivo will do better by its customer base.

Time will tell.
post #7530 of 7531 Old 07-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

I don't appreciate losing the guide data and recording ability. We have to figure something out. I've reached out to WIRNS and they suggested we may could use PercData. They also asked "Does anyone know the protocol or format Moxi wants the data in?" I don't know the answer but does anyone else know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page