The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 324Likes

post #421 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbie View Post

I don't have an Ethernet connection near my Dish DTVPal. Being lazy, and not wanting to crawl under the
house on a cold rainy day, I did the next best thing: I dredged up an ancient 802.11b Linksys WAP11 from
my cobweb covered junkbox of discarded/derelict access points, and configured it for "Point to Multipoint" .
Presto, I now have a wireless Ethernet bridge between the DTVPal and my Internet access point. It's
802.11b sloooow, but it worked perfectly for the firmware update. However, I'm not sure I'd want to try
moving video across the link... ;-)

Nice to hear it worked out OK for you.
But be aware unless they have some sort of fall back or fail safe in it's design in case of a interupted firmware D/L, that using a wireless connection is not a very safe way to do something like a firmware update/upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have mine up and running. I placed it in my entertainment center. On a shelf - behind glass. The manual warned against this because heat could be a problem. There was no good place outside of the enclosure. I think the air temp is about 80 in there. Is that a problem?
post #423 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

What copy protection flag are you referring to?

The CP flags that broadcasters are embedding into commercials /trailers, etc since Sep 1, 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post

I just purchased a 3576 from Walmart online. Real nice unit, works great. The picture is a little on the dark side but not bad. One thing I recently found out that I don't like. I came across a soap my wife loves to record called As The World Turns. She wanted to copy it to DVD so she could watch it in other room. It would not allow us to dub it from the hard drive at all and had a no disc copy symbol on the small picture frame. So we programmed a timer recording directly to the disc to see what would happen. It recorded it for a few minutes and then shut down the recording! Now that totally sucks! I can understand a copyrighted movie or something but a stinkin soap, unreal! What the hell do they actually think I'm going to do, make a million copies and sell the stupid episode on e-bay! What the hell are they smoking to put copy protection on something like a soap! Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

See if the recording to disc stopped at a commercial. There've been many programs being broadcast since Sep 1 with COMMERCIALS that have Copy-Once protection. They can be recorded to the HDD, but copying to DVD will either be prohibited or it'll stop during the CO-protected commercial(s).

Some find that CO--protection in the 1st commercial, others in the middle or last commercial.

JVC engineers have acknowledged that there is CO-protection in commercials lately but don't know why... yet.

Another person recently said it's from the new use of "white flashes" in commercials, which overload the video IN "bursts" like a CP-like disrupted video stream (white is max. video, black none).

Apparently, if the program is worth the effort, you CAN delete the commercials (or just the offending one if you can determine that, like by when it stops copying to DVD). This should allow a dub to DVD if the CP is, in fact, in a commercial and not a Copy-Protected program, which however won't even START to copy to DVD... you'll get a "Can't copy ..." message from the get-go.

On the slightly dark pic, have you tried the HDMI Format settings, as described towards the bottom of this help file, to see if your TV likes one better than the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post

Thank You Wajo for all the info. You are right, everytime it stops recording, is right after the commercial, usually the first one. That's the only show I ran across with that copy-protection so far, but imagine there are more out there. I guess I shouldn't bitch and be happy they still record on the hard drive. It must suck for people that purchased the cheaper digital recorders that only record to disc. I don't feel that is right. Hopefully this problem will go away and not get worse.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump69 View Post

Yup, I had the same thing happen with a broadcast on the ABC network, only it was a NASCAR race. You can always record to the HDD, but in one instance I tried to go directly to DVD so I could take it to work with me on night shift, with the same outcome that you had. I tried it again on the same channel while I was monitoring and saw 'COPYPROT' come up in the front panel, and then it stopped recording. I agree that it's just silly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 06:33 AM

Q: Has anyone checked to see if there is a option when using a USB stick to upgrade the firmware (once a download is posted) to see if the unit backs up the current firmware?

(Surely it must-otherwise you couldn't recover from a bad flash)

My concerns being having a back-up copy of the ORIGINAL firmware (or a previous version firmware) to revert back to if for example a hack for enabling the usb port for external storage is found- and later firmwares try to re-enable the lock-down, and or refuse to run if the port has been enabled.

post #425 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

What copy protection flag are you referring to?

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...s-t358715.html

Copy Protected Commercials
bjruska posted 2008 Oct 29 08:56
My LG DVD Recorder/Video Cassette Recorder has begun stopping while recording regular TV shows. Last night I watched while it recorded and a Microsoft commercial caused a Copy-Protected data error.

How do I get around this so I can go back to recording regular TV shows? :?:

Krispy Kritter posted 2008 Nov 03 12:31
There isn't a way, that I'm aware anyway, of bypassing the copy protection on DVD Recorders. There were a few older models (no longer available) that ignored the copy protection, but all of the current models available in the US will enforce it. There aren't any hacks or ways to shut it off. You're only solution is to switch to a DVR.

bjruska posted 2008 Nov 03 13:53
I have since found out that some commercials and TV shows have "One Time Copy Protection". That means you can copy them "One Time", but you must have a DVD harddrive that is CDPR enabled or in my case have DVD disks with CPRM, Content Protection for Recordable Media. I have ordered such disks from JVC and hope they will work.

Chopmeister posted 2008 Nov 04 02:40
We don't have commercials that do this (as far as I am aware!) in this country yet, so I haven't had this problem. However, if the signal is coming off a cable box through SVHS or composite connectors, I suspect that putting a fairly bog-standard video stabiliser (of the type that deal with macrovision when transferring old VHS movies to DVDR) might fix the problem. If you have one lying around, its worth a try.

orsetto posted 2008 Nov 04 11:32
For some unfathomable reason, this "copy protected commercial" phenomenon is occurring more and more frequently in the USA of late. There are only two explanations: the broadcasters are idiots who don't monitor their settings, or this is done on purpose as a covert method of timeshift prevention, so they can later claim "its not our fault, the PROGRAM wasn't copy protected". Either way, the consumer is effectively being prevented from recording material they have every right to record. (This also decreases viewership, and commercial exposure, which makes it even more idiotic- but that's Hollywood.)

Unfortunately, the only way around this is to connect a CP filter between the incoming source and your recorder, as suggested earlier. This pretty much disables the recorders internal tuner and makes multi-event timer recording into a big pain. You need to have a cable/satellite box, or an external tuner (such as an ATSC adapter box). Connect the outputs of your source tuner to the inputs of the filter, and the outputs of the filter to the line inputs of your recorder. From then on, all your recordings would go thru the recorders line connections, not its tuner. Unless your cable/satellite box or ATSC converter has its own built-in program timer, you will not be able to record multiple events unattended, only one.
post #426 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^ just my guess but the SD output of the Pal DVR (the one likely to be used for archiving purposes) won't have any CP on it (I'm guessing it will be stripped out during the SD analog conversion).
post #427 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Sparky View Post

You have the same signal strength from WJZ as I have,.... don't know why we're getting different results.
Why don't you start over, go back to the original factory settings and use the same zipcode as I did ( 21207 ) during setup and see what you have tomorrow morning.

Good luck !

That did the trick, this morning I have a week of guide data. I guess there's a problem using the alternate zipcodes listed in the manual (which I used because I was too lazy to look up a real zipcode for Baltimore).

Thanks.
post #428 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

so if i bought this thing i could have the device record 2 shows while watching a third using the TV tuner? I would have to split the TV cable so what would be the best way? I have the monoprice antenna with a in-line power booster going into my belkin power conditioner coming out into the tv so what kind of spliter whould work best with less single loss?
post #429 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

so if i bought this thing i could have the device record 2 shows while watching a third using the TV tuner? I would have to split the TV cable so what would be the best way? I have the monoprice antenna with a in-line power booster going into my belkin power conditioner coming out into the tv so what kind of spliter whould work best with less single loss?

a regular 1 in - 2 -out splitter, that goes to 1GHz.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #430 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolim2873 View Post

That did the trick, this morning I have a week of guide data. I guess there's a problem using the alternate zipcodes listed in the manual (which I used because I was too lazy to look up a real zipcode for Baltimore).

Thanks.

The "Alternate Zip Codes" listed in the manual are for when you are using this as a front end to an analog TVGOS device. Sort of what everyone was getting the DTVPal's for .

post #431 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:

A similar fix worked for me -- stopped using alternate zipcode 00173, which had not resulted in any TV Guide data being downloaded. I put in a zipcode within the prime coverage area of the Richmond CBS affiliate (but over on this end of that area, hoping for data for all my stations). I now have a fairly fully populated guide out through 12/31. Then there's data for only a few stations 1/1 and after, which is OK by me.

Question, though: When you're looking at a particular piece of onscreen guide data (say, a program title or description), is there any way of telling whether that came from TVGOS or PSIP?
post #432 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post

A similar fix worked for me -- stopped using alternate zipcode 00173, which had not resulted in any TV Guide data being downloaded. I put in a zipcode within the prime coverage area of the Richmond CBS affiliate (but over on this end of that area, hoping for data for all my stations). I now have a fairly fully populated guide out through 12/31. Then there's data for only a few stations 1/1 and after, which is OK by me.

Question, though: When you're looking at a particular piece of onscreen guide data (say, a program title or description), is there any way of telling whether that came from TVGOS or PSIP?

Look for the TV Guide logo on the EPG screen.

When setting up your DTVPAL DVR- USE YOUR REAL ZIPCODE ! And Not the ones in the manual.

post #433 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hignfy View Post

I tried an old 160GB and it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hignfy View Post

750GB Drive - didn't work
500GB Drive - works!

Very exciting - great work hignfy with testing all the drives!

Would you be willing to plug in the DVR initialized 160GB drive on a Linux PC to see if there is any partition structure/recognizable file system/drive ID/etc?

I tried to plug the 250GB drive into my computer with an external USB/SATA adapter and power supply, but it wouldn't spin up, though my external adapter and power supply would spin up my 1TB WD Cavier/Green drive which didn't have a partition but might not have been formatted right. I tried to manually create a Linux type partition using the whole drive but that didn't work. Was hoping to try to manually try to format the 1TB drive and stick it back in if I knew what the partition info/file system/etc was.
post #434 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 09:26 AM

Anyone find a way to hide unwanted listings on the TVGOS screen? It would be nice to hide the half you never watch or have the same thing on 24/7 aka no listings.

Thanks,
post #435 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
>>Question, though: When you're looking at a particular piece of onscreen guide data (say, a program title or description), is there any way of telling whether that came from TVGOS or PSIP?

> Look for the TV Guide logo on the EPG screen.

Actually I have in mind a slightly different question. The TV Guide logo is there on the EPG screen -- but does that mean all the data is from TVGOS? Or is the guide possibly a mix of TVGOS and PSIP data?

(Current example: "Hannah Montana" on the Richmond ABC affiliate's guide entry has all the detail on the current episode -- but "Hannah Montana" on the more distant stations says simply "No Information Available." Not that I'm a Hannah Montana fan; it's just an example.)
post #436 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post

>>Question, though: When you're looking at a particular piece of onscreen guide data (say, a program title or description), is there any way of telling whether that came from TVGOS or PSIP?

> Look for the TV Guide logo on the EPG screen.

Actually I have in mind a slightly different question. The TV Guide logo is there on the EPG screen -- but does that mean all the data is from TVGOS? Or is the guide possibly a mix of TVGOS and PSIP data?

(Current example: "Hannah Montana" on the Richmond ABC affiliate's guide entry has all the detail on the current episode -- but "Hannah Montana" on the more distant stations says simply "No Information Available." Not that I'm a Hannah Montana fan; it's just an example.)

There is no way to tell - assume it is all TVGOS data. I see that "No Information available" in a couple cases - 1) - the station is not currently receiveable 2)- the station simply didn't supply the information.

post #437 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedlj View Post

Anyone find a way to hide unwanted listings on the TVGOS screen? It would be nice to hide the half you never watch or have the same thing on 24/7 aka no listings.

Thanks,

Menu
Setup
System Setup
Channel Setup
Channel List

Then just click the ones you don't want and 'DELETE'
post #438 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

There is no way to tell - assume it is all TVGOS data. I see that "No Information available" in a couple cases - 1) - the station is not currently receiveable 2)- the station simply didn't supply the information.

or 3) The stations are in another DMA - none of the Harrisburg stations have any information, I'm assuming because the information is not supplied by the Baltimore CBS station (and the Harrisburg CBS station is not supplying the data according to rabbitears, and in my case, not even receivable being at lo-vhf 4 and I'm too far away and don't have the right antenna for lo-vhf).
post #439 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks...
post #440 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 10:42 AM

Why is the first post here from January but all subsequent posts from this month? I just stumbled across this thread when searching for something else but it just seems weird.
post #441 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Nice to hear it worked out OK for you.
But be aware unless they have some sort of fall back or fail safe in it's design in case of a interupted firmware D/L, that using a wireless connection is not a very safe way to do something like a firmware update/upgrade.

I would agree with this, but I would assume that the download would be the same as downloading updates via satellite with Dish Network. There is always a possibility that a satellite connection could be dropped, even during a satellite update download.

I would think that they would have thought of this. Though I have not updated mine yet, I would think that they would first download the update to memory and check the integrity of the download, and then apply it to the unit.

Applying firmware at home to a router or similar device is different in the fact that you download a file and point to the location of the file. The device then starts the process of uploading the firmware to the device which is why a wireless is not recommended. Wireless can be used and even if it fails and bricks the unit, some (not all) still can be reflashed, though it is not an easy task.

I did in fact order a wireless bridge for mine and have not received it yet. When I do, it will be downloading via wireless just because I don't have anywhere close to use an ethernet cable.

Hopefully, I won't have any issues. I checked the manual and nowhere did is specifically say to not use wireless. The only thing it does mention is to not unplug the unit during the download or update process, which for me is not an issue since I use an APC backup for the unit.
post #442 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Okay, so this is just a quasi dual tuner unit. I have yet to figure out how to do the following with the dual tuners...it simply won't allow me to saying there is a conflict.

Weekly Monday (no padding on start/end times)
7:00-7:30PM
7:30-8:00PM
7:00-8:00PM

It seems it could use tuner 1 to record the 2 30 minute shows and tuner 2 to record the 1 hour show. It just won't allow me to do this. Is there anyway to force which tuner to use for a recording? Or is there some trick I'm missing?

(I guess I could set a single hour long manual timer for the 2 30 minute shows but that defeats the purpose of the name recording)

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #443 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Okay, so this is just a quasi dual tuner unit. I have yet to figure out how to do the following with the dual tuners...it simply won't allow me to saying there is a conflict.

It seems it could use tuner 1 to record the 2 30 minute shows and tuner 2 to record the 1 hour show. It just won't allow me to do this. Is there anyway to force which tuner to use for a recording? Or is there some trick I'm missing?

(I guess I could set a single hour long manual timer for the 2 30 minute shows but that defeats the purpose of the name recording)

You might try entering the programs in a different order...
post #444 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdilliker View Post

Why is the first post here from January but all subsequent posts from this month? I just stumbled across this thread when searching for something else but it just seems weird.

The unit only became available for Pre Order Nov 19th.
The first shipments went out Dec 17th.
post #445 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

setup the timer for the longer show first, then the two shortys.

post #446 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am using my real ZIP code and I am only getting the guide for 8-10 hours ahead not 7 days and I have left it plugged in for over 2 days. Is there something else I need to do?
Why did'nt they put a PIP function on these? It has 2 tuners so it could be done just like the Dish satellite receivers.
post #447 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekoler View Post

I am using my real ZIP code and I am only getting the guide for 8-10 hours ahead not 7 days and I have left it plugged in for over 2 days. Is there something else I need to do?
Why did'nt they put a PIP function on these? It has 2 tuners so it could be done just like the Dish satellite receivers.

Got a zip for us ? you may have to try the zip code for the stations, then (as a last resort) try the "substitute" zip.

TV market ?
is the Red "TV GUIDE" logo on your EPG ?

And yes that feature (about the PIP for the guide) was mentioned as a desireable feature.

post #448 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

or 3) The stations are in another DMA - none of the Harrisburg stations have any information, I'm assuming because the information is not supplied by the Baltimore CBS station (and the Harrisburg CBS station is not supplying the data according to rabbitears, and in my case, not even receivable being at lo-vhf 4 and I'm too far away and don't have the right antenna for lo-vhf).

Hmmmm. That's what some of us with multiple markets were afraid might happen.

With the analog TVGOS, the only stations that consistently said "No Information Available", even from other markets, were ones that had the type of programming you really couldn't provide specific, detailed info for, such as music video subchannels, etc.

Actually, it never said "No Information Available" - it always said something a little more descriptive, like " The Tube Programming", repeated in all of the grid slots. If there was "no information" for a channel at all, it wouldn't even be available in the guide. And this is in all the many devices I've had using the last three available analog TVGOS versions. In fact, the only time I've ever seen a programming guide say "No Information Available" was when using PSIP data - which makes me wonder........hmmmm.
post #449 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 12:31 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdilliker View Post

It was taken from the "original", pre-release thread on the unit and updated for this one, to start it off (the other thread is still active).
post #450 of 19769 Old 12-27-2008, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't think you always use your real/ actual zip code.
For instance, if you live in ABC town, but get your programing from XYZ town, use the XYZ zip code, not your own.

I live in the Harrisburg Pa. market, but get a stronger more reliable siginal From Baltimore. My antenna is pointed towards Baltimore, Harrisburg is on the back side of the antenna.

I used a Baltimore zipcode and everything went fine. If I'd used my actual zip code, I'd probably still be waiting for 7 day TV guide listings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page