The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic! - Page 658 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 320Likes

post #19711 of 19750 Old 06-24-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Yeah, I don't know what causes it, but every once in a while a DTVPal can get into a "mood" where it refuses to add channels, either automatically or via the 3-2-2-3 menu option. At least, it's happened to me a couple of times, and the only fix I could find was a full rescan.

I usually save the full rescan for the last resort, because it's annoying having to answer all those setup questions again, and because it clears out all your recording timers. But sometimes it seems to be the only thing that works.
You mean a full re-scan, or a full reset and setup procedure?

I'm not sure what's going on with local KTXA and finding that channel with the DTVPal. But of course there's the exception: my old Insigna-LG government subsidized converter box from 2009 found 21.1 and 21.2 but it wasn't without a minor glitch. First time I tried just adding new channels, and it added MeTV on a second "21.1" next to the dead 21.1. So I did a full scan and it straightened out and has 21.1 and 21.2. So the signal is there but the DTVPal doesn't seem to be able to deal with it. A double power button reset and then a full re-scan didn't work. Last thing I can try on the 'Pal is a full reset but I really don't want to go through the whole setup procedure and lose timer settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19712 of 19750 Old 06-24-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2828 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
To clarify, by a "full rescan" I mean running the setup wizard (menu-3-2-1-1). It's not quite as extreme as a factory defaults reset (menu-3-2-4) but it's still no fun.

BTW I just posted on the DFW thread that I confirmed KPFW is indeed still on the air, so that's likely the problem folks (including you) are having with KTXA. No need to do either a full rescan or a factory defaults reset for that problem.
post #19713 of 19750 Old 06-24-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To clarify, by a "full rescan" I mean running the setup wizard (menu-3-2-1-1). It's not quite as extreme as a factory defaults reset (menu-3-2-4) but it's still no fun.

BTW I just posted on the DFW thread that I confirmed KPFW is indeed still on the air, so that's likely the problem folks (including you) are having with KTXA. No need to do either a full rescan or a factory defaults reset for that problem.

Yep just read that thanks for confirming. I will just have to be patient. I can go out in the garage if there's something I must see on KTXA or MeTV I can watch it on my old Sony 9" CRT TV with the Insigna converter box that does receive 21.1 and .2 fine after a re-scan that took all of 2 minutes.

Last edited by ed_in_tx; 06-24-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19714 of 19750 Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Odd... twice now, once a couple of weeks ago and again today, I tuned to KFWD 52.2 BIZ TV and soon after the 'Pal DVR resets itself!
post #19715 of 19750 Old 07-15-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Bad Transport Stream ? Particularly PSIP data ?
Someone in your area with PC TV tuner stick/card could dissect the issue...
post #19716 of 19750 Old 07-16-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have no way to analyze the signal and data sent. After the 3rd time tuning to 52.2 and having a reboot, I am avoiding that channel for now.
post #19717 of 19750 Old 07-16-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I never watch 52 but I added it to the channel list so I could check this out. I didn't have any trouble in the short time I tried it.

It doesn't surprise me that bad data could cause a reset. I once watched Microsoft Assembler (MASM) reset the PC it was running on because of a single character error in the source file. A colon where a semi-colon should have been I think.
post #19718 of 19750 Old 07-16-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried watching 52.4 (Evine) for a while but had no issues. Maybe the problem is specific to 52.2.
post #19719 of 19750 Old 07-17-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried watching 52.4 (Evine) for a while but had no issues. Maybe the problem is specific to 52.2.
Try 52.2 for a while. I've watched it before with no issues, but the other day it did it twice, after they supposedly fixed the audio which has since returned to it's low overall level. I think the guy I had contacted there is getting frustrated with operations too. For about one day they had the audio levels right. Plus the shows are in repeat mode. Was watching Big Biz show, should be timely business and investing information, and they were talking about the upcoming 4th of July! So I guess I am not missing anything.
post #19720 of 19750 Old 07-18-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, KAZD/55 changed frequencies this AM, and to my slight amazement, my DTVPal handled it perfectly! It added all the new subchannels automatically and bumped the old, no longer working subchannels up to channel 71-x. All I had to do was delete the 71-x channels, then lock the new 55-x subchannels I don't want again.
post #19721 of 19750 Old 08-02-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, worked perfectly a few weeks ago, but today it's giving me fits! KTXD moved, and my Pal just would not scan it back in on its new frequency (RF23). Had to resort to the Setup Wizard. But even worse, it kept locking up on another station: KHPK!

Eventually it did add one KHPK channel and continue, but missed the other eight, including the three live ones .

OK, now I'm at the "enter your current time" screen. Why is the year defaulting to 2219? Good thing it lets you use the number keys vs. scrolling back 200 years....

Finally done - and it did add KTXD back. (Whew!) Looks like it got all of KHPK too. No idea why it took so long on that one channel though.

Edit: My wife's Pal won't scan RF23 either, so eventually I'll have to run the Setup Wizard on hers too.

BTW, I did discover an advantage to using parental locks to "hide" channels vs. deleting them: if you need to run the Setup Wizard, "hidden" channels stay hidden! Deleted channels come back and you have to delete them again.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-03-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #19722 of 19750 Old 08-03-2019, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like I might have gotten lucky. The channels in the 70s mostly became inactive 0 signal, and the virtual channel numbers like 47.4 began working. Exception was 47.1 and 47.3 were missing, so I did the add channel and they added in like it's supposed to do. No Setup Wiz needed this time.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #19723 of 19750 Old 09-30-2019, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question missing guide info

Is there something in the DVR that can go wrong to make program info disappear from the guide only on one channel? Ever since the Spring when a channel 70 also appeared, the info for channel 50, WKBD in Detroit went away. The entire guide, plus when I tune to 50 and press INFO, has only "unknown program". I called their programming department, and they said they get their listings from a company called Gracenote. I have since that time made several calls to both WKBD and Gracenote, but as of yet, they can't find a solution. Of course they never heard of the DTV Pal, so I had to keep explaining that it is a converter box plus a DVR. BTW, this is happening on all 3 of the units I am using, so it isn't just a problem with one of them. And I did try rebooting, which changed nothing. Channel 70 did go away when I rebooted.
Also, the same programming department takes care of ch 62, and all of those guide descriptions are fine. I asked if they could just see if they can find a difference between what they are doing for both channels, and make 50 identical to 62's settings, but I was told "it doesn't work that way".
It's been annoying enough during the Summer, but all of the new season shows I watch will be on soon, and watching recordings back will be a major pain, because they will all say the same thing, "unknown program".
post #19724 of 19750 Old 10-01-2019, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would recommend to ask people who do posting PSIP info at antennaweb/rabbityear/etc for your town/area; they could easily check EPG for certain channel by using PC, OTA card and TSreader Lite program.
post #19725 of 19750 Old 10-01-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I would recommend to ask people who do posting PSIP info at antennaweb/rabbityear/etc for your town/area; they could easily check EPG for certain channel by using PC, OTA card and TSreader Lite program.
Thanks. I will ask, but I don't understand how to contact them, or what an EPG is.
post #19726 of 19750 Old 10-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyDVR33 View Post
Is there something in the DVR that can go wrong to make program info disappear from the guide only on one channel? Ever since the Spring when a channel 70 also appeared, the info for channel 50, WKBD in Detroit went away. The entire guide, plus when I tune to 50 and press INFO, has only "unknown program". I called their programming department, and they said they get their listings from a company called Gracenote. I have since that time made several calls to both WKBD and Gracenote, but as of yet, they can't find a solution. Of course they never heard of the DTV Pal, so I had to keep explaining that it is a converter box plus a DVR. BTW, this is happening on all 3 of the units I am using, so it isn't just a problem with one of them. And I did try rebooting, which changed nothing. Channel 70 did go away when I rebooted.
Also, the same programming department takes care of ch 62, and all of those guide descriptions are fine. I asked if they could just see if they can find a difference between what they are doing for both channels, and make 50 identical to 62's settings, but I was told "it doesn't work that way".
It's been annoying enough during the Summer, but all of the new season shows I watch will be on soon, and watching recordings back will be a major pain, because they will all say the same thing, "unknown program".
Have you tried a full rescan? See below. After the repack in my area 27.1 (WFXR) had the guide data but no signal and 72.1 had the signal but no guide.

Quote:

LuvMyDVR33 likes this.
post #19727 of 19750 Old 10-02-2019, 01:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I will ask, but I don't understand how to contact them, or what an EPG is.
Just contact admins at those site, they will help you further.
post #19728 of 19750 Old 10-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
Have you tried a full rescan? See below. After the repack in my area 27.1 (WFXR) had the guide data but no signal and 72.1 had the signal but no guide.
THANK YOU!!! I had time to try it on one of the DVRs just now, and the guide info is back! Looking forward to fixing the other 2 this afternoon. I would have never thought to do that. Wish I would have posted my question months ago instead of calling the station and Gracenote. The last time I had a problem with that same station tho, it WAS their fault, so I just assumed they'd goofed something else up. Now I'm too embarrassed to call either of them to admit it was the DVRs fault.
post #19729 of 19750 Old 10-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Just contact admins at those site, they will help you further.
I still don't know what the site is, because I googled what part of it you posted, and came up with nothing, but anyway, it doesn't matter for now at least, because as I just posted, the reset fixed it. Thanks anyway, I'm very happy I didn't have to do anything else, because I am already way behind in watching the recordings I've made since the new TV season started, so I need to focus on that.
post #19730 of 19750 Old 10-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
THANK YOU!!! I had time to try it on one of the DVRs just now, and the guide info is back! Looking forward to fixing the other 2 this afternoon. I would have never thought to do that. Wish I would have posted my question months ago instead of calling the station and Gracenote. The last time I had a problem with that same station tho, it WAS their fault, so I just assumed they'd goofed something else up. Now I'm too embarrassed to call either of them to admit it was the DVRs fault.
To me the red flag was the appearance of 70.1.

Don't forget to do two warm boots to get your clock to sync with PSIP.

You can use the repack as your excuse.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #19731 of 19750 Old 10-03-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Don't forget to do two warm boots to get your clock to sync with PSIP.
I have to do that even if the clock seems fine?
To warm boot is to just press the power button until the logo screen shows up and starts rebooting, and then as soon as the guide loads, you repeat it again?
I really hate doing that, because it reminds me of when one of my units broke and went into constant loop of it. I feel like I'm going to break it if I do it too many times on purpose.
post #19732 of 19750 Old 10-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
To warm boot is to just press the power button until the logo screen shows up and starts rebooting, and then as soon as the guide loads, you repeat it again?
Yes. The boots can be done in succession or at random times. BTW a power outage (i.e. from a thunderstorm) counts as a warm boot.

Quote:
I really hate doing that, because it reminds me of when one of my units broke and went into constant loop of it. I feel like I'm going to break it if I do it too many times on purpose.
Well then don't, but I bet your DTVPAL's clock gains about 8 seconds every 24 hours.
post #19733 of 19750 Old 10-03-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've found that you don't need to let it download the program guide on the 1st boot. I stop it soon as it starts, get back to video and re-boot again. Then on the 2nd boot I let it download the guide info.

I figure it's going to screw up and go into the continuous startup screen, it probably will next time power is interrupted and it boots up anyway. I've done it many times and no problems. I do have 2 spare 'Pals just in case!
post #19734 of 19750 Old 10-03-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think the reboot loop is caused by rebooting. It's just a symptom of corrupted flash memory.

I suppose corrupted memory could be caused by a power failure at precisely the wrong moment, but a warm boot should be safe since power is never interrupted.
P Smith likes this.
post #19735 of 19750 Old 10-04-2019, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
...I do have 2 spare 'Pals just in case!
I have 2 DTVPal DVRs currently in active use (since 2008-2009) and like you I have 2 spares (brand-new in factory-sealed boxes). At one point I had 3 brand-new spares but decided I didn't need all 3 of them and I was able to sell 1 here in the AVS Forum classifieds.
post #19736 of 19750 Old 10-05-2019, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Arrow

Quote:
Yes. The boots can be done in succession or at random times. BTW a power outage (i.e. from a thunderstorm) counts as a warm boot. ...
Well, I wouldn't count it as WARM reboot, as the DVR is COLD after any power outage happened

If you are talking about a counter on Diag page... then it could be really true.
post #19737 of 19750 Old 10-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you are talking about a counter on Diagnostics page... then it could be really true.
I am.
post #19738 of 19750 Old 10-13-2019, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have 3 units. Right now I'm using my first original one that only had about 6 months of use on it (back in 2009!), because my other 2 have problems. On Pal A, we replaced 14 capacitors, but every time you try to play back a recorded program, the program freezes and you can't watch it. On Pal B, we had replaced 4 bad caps, but then it started going into the endless loop every time you wanted to play a recording. So my question is: does this still sound like bad capacitors, could this be a symptom of the hard drive going bad? Or would a bad hard drive have a different symptom?
post #19739 of 19750 Old 10-13-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would take HDDs out and check them, get SMART first/save it, run Scan+Remap, then get SMART again. I would post all three outputs here.
Using GsmartControl https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/
post #19740 of 19750 Old 10-13-2019, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
I would take HDDs out and check them, get SMART first/save it, run Scan+Remap, then get SMART again. I would post all three outputs here.
Using GsmartControl https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/

Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I guess before I get into that, I'm wondering what the symptoms of a bad hard drive are, or if the problems I'm having are more than likely the caps. Or if they're just so old that they may die anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page