Official DVICO TViX M6620N HD (ATSC/QAM) Tuner Topic - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2371 of 2391 Old 11-11-2017, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
If he's started using it already, he might not be willing to part with it. Prepare for a duel over TViX ownership!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2391 Old 01-05-2018, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ChannelMaster just recently announced a new OTA DVR/4k streaming device called the Stream+. I like my TViX, but it is starting to show its age, so I pre-ordered one. It looks like they're still offering the discounted pre-order price ($99): https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm

However, I still want to keep using my TViX on my other TV, but could use some assistance. I just got a Harmony Hub, and it can control the TViX surprisingly well -- except for channel entry. The Hub has the ability to automate tuning a particular channel, but I can't get it to work with subchannels, because the TViX doesn't appear to have a dash or dot button. To tune in, for example, channel 15-2, I need to press [1] [5] [DOWN] [OK]. The Harmony can't send a dash, so it just enters 15 and waits, and I end up tuned to 15-1. I've asked on the Logitech side to see if there's another way of tuning channels, but I'm not hopeful. Is there any way on the TViX side to directly enter a subchannel?
post #2373 of 2391 Old 01-05-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
I have no way of knowing whether this will work on the TViX, but this trick works on the DTVPal, which also lacks a dash or dot: to enter 15-2, enter 01502. It's important to enter the first leading zero: once the Pal accepts 3 digits, the next 2 digits go into the subchannel. Maybe the TViX will work the same way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2374 of 2391 Old 01-05-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I have no way of knowing whether this will work on the TViX, but this trick works on the DTVPal, which also lacks a dash or dot: to enter 15-2, enter 01502. It's important to enter the first leading zero: once the Pal accepts 3 digits, the next 2 digits go into the subchannel. Maybe the TViX will work the same way.
Thanks for your reply. I gave that a try, but it didn't work. It just adds the 0 to the channels to display in the dropdown, which by then generally means that there aren't any channels to display. As far as I can tell, the TViX doesn't actually have a way to enter a channel -- what you're really doing is entering a filter for the channel list, then selecting a channel from that list.

post #2375 of 2391 Old 01-05-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
I see - sort of like my LG TV (although its remote does have a dash).

Oh, well - guess it was worth a try, anyway
post #2376 of 2391 Old 01-05-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I see - sort of like my LG TV (although its remote does have a dash).

Oh, well - guess it was worth a try, anyway
Yup, definitely worth a try. Looks like I'll probably be out of luck for really getting it integrated with Harmony.

(I also have an LG TV, but I've never actually used its tuner)

Next month I'll have to see if there's some way to be able to utilize the recordings from the Stream+ and play them back on the TViX.

post #2377 of 2391 Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My experience has been the same as yours: you enter numbers to filter out unwanted results in the channel list, and then you select the desired channel with the arrows and OK button once the list is sufficiently short. I haven't really spent much time on it, though, as I mostly just let my TViX record things and then pick what I'm going to watch from what's on the HDD; I rarely have a reason to tune to a channel manually, since I don't watch live TV.
post #2378 of 2391 Old 01-08-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I did a quick look thru the first few pages and did a search, but didn't see anything.

Is/was there a problem with SD sub channels? I never used this as a OTA anything, just a media player, but I did a re-scan (from when I bought this) and in spite of the system finding (id'ing) most of the sub channels, they only show a blank screen (with the ID in the upper corner). Only the 'HD' channels show. The one (kind of) exception is one station that places it's 'HD' service on a sub channel; dot 2, not dot 1.
That tells me that this won't play SD subs. Also, one low power station, it's main channel is SD and that doesn't show either.

Separately, no guide data showed on any of the 'main' channels on any station, but I didn't give it a whole lot of time (which may be the problem), unless something else changed.

Any member still using this as a OTA tuner (at least) confirm or deny the above?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2379 of 2391 Old 01-09-2019, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Bruce, I also mainly use my TViX for streaming but just now rescanned channels for the first time in quite a while. My 6620N found the usual number of channels for my area (105) and as I skipped around them all came in normally and displayed the PSIP guide data that the station was providing, whether HD or SD and on subchannels no. 1 or x. It seems that either your tuner has gone bad or the unit isn't getting a good signal.
videobruce likes this.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.

Now seeking INTERNATIONAL beta testers for new version.
post #2380 of 2391 Old 01-09-2019, 05:10 AM

Signal is more than fine, at least for every other tuner/TV, but I only tried the tuner once just after I received this. I don't remember any noticeable issues at the time since I had no intention of using it that way.
As far as SD sub channels, that seems to be some other weird issue. It does ID each one, but no video (I didn't connect the audio at the time).

How long should it take to collect & display PSIP data per channel?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2381 of 2391 Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 AM

It collects the PSIP data using the tuner that's not currently displaying a channel. In my case it seems to complete an update within 5 minutes or so. You may want to check the seating of the tuner module in its socket, perhaps it's come loose.
videobruce likes this.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.

post #2382 of 2391 Old 01-10-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've noticed that guide data is glitchy on some channels. In order to make the guide display, I have to click >> to move the guide to tomorrow, then click << to move back to today, and magically the EPG is now populated. The TViX is great if you learn to coexist with the gremlins.
videobruce likes this.
post #2383 of 2391 Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like it may be both of those. I didn't really give the tuner much time to acquire any data. The blank SD sub-channels are a mystery.

post #2384 of 2391 Old 01-12-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How do you know those channels have guide data? Maybe the stations are just lazy and aren't including any. There are some exemptions based on station power, and the PSIP thing doesn't seem to be enforced at all, so stations can get away with not including any guide data if people don't complain about it. The only reason I can think of for a sub-channel to have no video if it's a music channel, but sometimes sub-channels are just broken and not broadcasting anything.

One other thing you might try is looking for and deleting all ION channels and sub-channels from the channel list. In the past, that network's "AirBox" service had guide data that would outright crash the TViX, so you had no choice but to remove it from your lineup. I don't know if that still applies or if ION is causing other problems now.
post #2385 of 2391 Old 01-12-2019, 02:43 PM

"Lazy stations", come on, in this day and age?
A couple are low power which I know didn't, the others, the big four (NBC, CBS, ABC & PBS) did (of course). At least 5 others did have a guide.
(Yes, I did state "did".)

I was more concerned about the loss of sub-channels. When I get a chance I'll take another look at the box.

Thanks.

Last edited by videobruce; 01-12-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #2386 of 2391 Old 03-11-2019, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechs01 View Post
Is there anyone still following this forum that would like to sell their Tvix? Must have a working tuner.

Paul
Hi Paul, my post count is too low to PM you but I have an M6640N that is available. If you would please PM me with contact info I can email you details etc.

--Arthur
post #2387 of 2391 Old 03-11-2019, 09:54 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by russella View Post
Hi Paul, my post count is too low to PM you but I have an M6640N that is available. If you would please PM me with contact info I can email you details etc.

--Arthur
Thanks for the offer, but another member already sold me his. I should have edited my post.
post #2388 of 2391 Old 01-21-2020, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know of a learning remote that works with the TViX? The one I have isn't able to copy all of the TViX remote's buttons correctly. I'm on my second official remote at this point, and they're not going to be available forever...
post #2389 of 2391 Old 01-21-2020, 10:35 AM

I've been using various Harmony remotes, the latest being the "hub" which now seems to be sold separately but was bundled with the "companion" control when I bought, with TViX for years. The Harmony database already has TViX codes, so you don't need to teach them anything.

post #2390 of 2391 Old 01-21-2020, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I guess I'll look at Harmony models. I still have a spare remote, but I need a longer term solution.

*edit*

Wow, Harmony remotes sure are pricey. I'd still be interested in a learning remote I can map on my own, if one exists.

Last edited by Aleron Ives; 01-21-2020 at 03:07 PM.
post #2391 of 2391 Old 01-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Back in the day, I got the hub + companion bundle for about $125 IIRC. The currently unbundled pair seems to be more expensive now, but perhaps there are sales.

Harmony takes a very different (holistic) approach to A/V system control. Once you get the hang of it, it's very versatile and reliable, plus the hardware is pretty durable. I've been satisfied with the setup for quite a while.

A tip for the 6620: Harmony works best with discrete on/off codes. I dealt with the 6620's lack of separate on & off codes by using the "play" code, which is active even when the 6620 is powered down, to turn it on and the "power" code to turn it off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page