Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 127Likes

post #2281 of 2682 Old 10-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Can anyone recommend a good IR repeater/emitter that is working well with their X1?

I have my X1 in a rack and having a hard time getting IR codes to be recognized. I'm currently trying this https://amzn.com/B00023KG40 to relay IR to the rack and its working great with my blu-ray player, receiver/prepro and other gear, but the X1 misses almost every signal even when I move the pyramid close to its IR window. So next I tried taking an old IR emitter I had laying around and plugging it into the back of the pyramid and then putting that emitter right on the IR window on the X1. In that case it works better, but still missing 3 out of every 10 commands I send, on average. For instance if I push left arrow ten times one second apart it misses 3 of those. That seems really odd. Maybe its the old, small emitter that I have. I will try another one.

Thanks!
Do you have the X1 remote that communicates via RF? It "talks" to the X1 box over radio frequencies and will control other components like TV and an AVR using IR. The RF capable remote is silver, not black, and needs to be 'paired' with the X1 box. Mine works great over RF, and controls my Vizio TV and Marantz AVR with no issues at all.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2682 Old 10-12-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
Do you have the X1 remote that communicates via RF? It "talks" to the X1 box over radio frequencies and will control other components like TV and an AVR using IR. The RF capable remote is silver, not black, and needs to be 'paired' with the X1 box. Mine works great over RF, and controls my Vizio TV and Marantz AVR with no issues at all.
My XR11 remote is RF and I wouldn't call it silver. It's more like gun metal gray, IOW closer to black than chrome silver.
post #2283 of 2682 Old 10-18-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I see that that this Fall the X1 system will gain access to Netflix, complete with voice search. I use an Amazon Fire TV box but its' voice search does not work with the Netflix app.

Tried the Netflix X1 app this morning stable 1080p w/ 5.1 DD+

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2284 of 2682 Old 10-18-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
Tried the Netflix X1 app this morning stable 1080p w/ 5.1 DD+
A step in the right direction but not usable for those with 4K displays. For now I will stick to Roku that can stream 4K and HDR. Comcast seems to be pretty far behind in terms of delivering 4K content, at least compared to DirecTV who is at least doing things like a football game once a week in 4K.
post #2285 of 2682 Old 10-18-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A step in the right direction but not usable for those with 4K displays. For now I will stick to Roku that can stream 4K and HDR. Comcast seems to be pretty far behind in terms of delivering 4K content, at least compared to DirecTV who is at least doing things like a football game once a week in 4K.

With the upcoming 4K box hopefully we will have access to the 4K offerings. This highlights how degraded the regular xfinity signal is cause what I'm seeing via Netflix is head and shoulders superior.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #2286 of 2682 Old 10-19-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
With the upcoming 4K box hopefully we will have access to the 4K offerings. This highlights how degraded the regular xfinity signal is cause what I'm seeing via Netflix is head and shoulders superior.

What upcoming 4K box? I work for Comcast as does my wife and we have heard nothing. The last thing we heard is it has been delayed for at least until next year.
post #2287 of 2682 Old 10-20-2016, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
What upcoming 4K box? I work for Comcast as does my wife and we have heard nothing. The last thing we heard is it has been delayed for at least until next year.
That would be "upcoming".

Samsung 65KS-8000 VAA02, Xfinity X1 DVR, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500
Onkyo TX-NR747, Set up: Atmos 5.1.2
Klipsch R-26FA L/R), Klipsch R250 (C), Klipsch RP-140D (SS)
Subs: SVS BP-2000
Amazon Echo, Harmony Hub, Harmony Ultimate One, Samsung Smartthings Hub
post #2288 of 2682 Old 10-20-2016, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedesert View Post
That would be "upcoming".

"Upcoming" with no time table set for next year. Comcast, like Disney, is playing it safe when it comes to 4K.
post #2289 of 2682 Old 10-20-2016, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 3579
Quote:
Steve

could you update us on IP control of the X1 box?

We heard Comcast was going to open up the API on this box for remote control over IP: any timetable on this?

tia
steve1971 likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #2290 of 2682 Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Steve

We heard Comcast was going to open up the API on this box for remote control over IP: any timetable on this?

tia

That's something for our Tech dept to answer but I'll see if I can send them a message to find out. As soon as I hear something I will let you know.
post #2291 of 2682 Old 10-21-2016, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Comcast increased internet speeds again: I have Blast service:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5731675324.png

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
LG C9 OLED owner

post #2292 of 2682 Old 10-21-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 439
30 second skip disappeared last night from my X1 service and I can't get it back. I now only have the 5 minute skip. Is this as a result of an X1 firmware update or is it something else? Anyone else experiencing this?

post #2293 of 2682 Old 10-21-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Comcast increased internet speeds again: I have Blast service:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5731675324.png
I have Blast also and last check on Oct. 4 was 240.35 Mbps / 12.18 Mbps. I am using a purchased Arris TM822G DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Ultra-High Speed Telephony Modem. Lately I have been getting emails and phone calls from Comcast informing me that my modem is obsolete and needs to be replaced. No thank you Comcast. So far they haven't explained what new features I am missing out on.
post #2294 of 2682 Old 10-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I have Blast also and last check on Oct. 4 was 240.35 Mbps / 12.18 Mbps. I am using a purchased Arris TM822G DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Ultra-High Speed Telephony Modem. Lately I have been getting emails and phone calls from Comcast informing me that my modem is obsolete and needs to be replaced. No thank you Comcast. So far they haven't explained what new features I am missing out on.
I have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem with 2.4 and 5.1 wireless. I suggest you either buy a new modem or start renting the latest modem from Comcast.
steve1971 likes this.

Robert
post #2295 of 2682 Old 10-21-2016, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post
I have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem with 2.4 and 5.1 wireless. I suggest you either buy a new modem or start renting the latest modem from Comcast.
By wireless I assume you mean as in a router. I have a Cisco-Linksys E4200 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router which serves me well. If by wireless you mean that the modem to computer connection can be wireless then that could be an extra feature which might be welcome. Since my modem is only 24 inches away from the PC an Ethernet cable works just fine for me.

While writing this reply I received a call back from Comcast tech support and they agree that I am not missing out on any features they offer in my HD Premier XF bundle (triple-play) package.
post #2296 of 2682 Old 10-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
https://customer.xfinity.com/help-an...teway-compare/

Wireless Gateway Device Comparison

The following table compares the Wireless Gateway 1, Wireless Gateway 2 and Wireless Gateway 3 devices.
Product Features Wireless Gateway 1

(Model Numbers: TG852G, TG862G, SMCD3GNV, TC8305C) Wireless Gateway 2

(Model Numbers: DPC3939, TC8706C) Wireless Gateway 3

(Model Numbers: (DPC3941T, TC8717, TG1682G)
Four Total Gigabit Ethernet Ports Yes Yes Yes
Dual Band WiFi No Yes Yes
Maximum Data Throughput 150 Mbps 275 Mbps 700 Mbps
WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) Yes Yes Yes
Gateway and Network Management Tool Yes Yes Yes
Two Total Telephone Ports Yes Yes
(separate Alarm Port) Yes
(separate Alarm Port)
Battery Backup Capability (XFINITY Voice Only) Yes Yes Yes
WiFi Range Extender Capability (via MoCA*) No Yes Yes
Link Cordless Phones (CAT-iq 2.0**) No Yes Yes
Home Hotspot Capable Yes Yes Yes
Compatible with XFINITY Home Yes Yes Yes

Robert
post #2297 of 2682 Old 10-23-2016, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
30 second skip disappeared last night from my X1 service and I can't get it back. I now only have the 5 minute skip. Is this as a result of an X1 firmware update or is it something else? Anyone else experiencing this?
My 30 second skip disappeared, too, but I kept on trying to set it and it finally worked. Don't give up - it's still there!

Pete
post #2298 of 2682 Old 10-23-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Yep. Came back last night. I suspect a buggy firmware update.

post #2299 of 2682 Old 10-24-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post
https://customer.xfinity.com/help-an...teway-compare/

Wireless Gateway Device Comparison

The following table compares the Wireless Gateway 1, Wireless Gateway 2 and Wireless Gateway 3 devices.
Product Features Wireless Gateway 1

(Model Numbers: TG852G, TG862G, SMCD3GNV, TC8305C) Wireless Gateway 2

(Model Numbers: DPC3939, TC8706C) Wireless Gateway 3

(Model Numbers: (DPC3941T, TC8717, TG1682G)
Four Total Gigabit Ethernet Ports Yes Yes Yes
Dual Band WiFi No Yes Yes
Maximum Data Throughput 150 Mbps 275 Mbps 700 Mbps
WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) Yes Yes Yes
Gateway and Network Management Tool Yes Yes Yes
Two Total Telephone Ports Yes Yes
(separate Alarm Port) Yes
(separate Alarm Port)
Battery Backup Capability (XFINITY Voice Only) Yes Yes Yes
WiFi Range Extender Capability (via MoCA*) No Yes Yes
Link Cordless Phones (CAT-iq 2.0**) No Yes Yes
Home Hotspot Capable Yes Yes Yes
Compatible with XFINITY Home Yes Yes Yes
Thanks for posting that, just realized that I'm limited to 150Mbps!
post #2300 of 2682 Old 10-24-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Steve

tia
Quote:
That's something for our Tech dept to answer but I'll see if I can send them a message to find out. As soon as I hear something I will let you know.
I am very interested in IP control as well. I have my X1 in a separate room and it doesn't always respond to the RF remote. Likewise I am using a IR->RF in the theater to go to a RF->IR blast at the rack in a different note and the X1 misses lots of commands coming from an IR remote as well. I even ran a IR emitter eye from the RF->IR to place it perfectly in the IR window on the X1 and it still misses 1 out of 10 or so commands. Very annoying. All my other equipment works well with this setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post
Thanks for posting that, just realized that I'm limited to 150Mbps!
I think I am capped at 150Mbps as well. Is there a higher level of service that has to be paid for in order to go faster? Also is there any practical point in going faster than 150Mbps? I can't imagine there are many (any?) sites out there that will feed you with 150Mbps. Unless you are concerned with getting say multiple 50-70Mbps feeds simultaneously?
post #2301 of 2682 Old 10-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am very interested in IP control as well. I have my X1 in a separate room and it doesn't always respond to the RF remote. Likewise I am using a IR->RF in the theater to go to a RF->IR blast at the rack in a different note and the X1 misses lots of commands coming from an IR remote as well. I even ran a IR emitter eye from the RF->IR to place it perfectly in the IR window on the X1 and it still misses 1 out of 10 or so commands. Very annoying. All my other equipment works well with this setup.
I read this earlier: the IR repeaters you mentioned can cause issues: this used to happen all the time with plasma and CCFL backlit displays that put out tons of IR noise: the IR repeaters amplify this noise as well: so the signal to noise ratio is low: you can test this by turning off any such displays (at night) and testing the X1 response

I use an IR eye for now on the X1 and it seems to work OK, but response is slow: it is also possible you are overloading the IR receiver by placing the IR emitter directly on it: I can adjust the level of the IR signal and usually run it as low as possible so it works reliably, without overload: you might try moving the IR an inch or two off the eye to see if that works. And if you can adjust delays in between commands, that might help

IP commands would make all these issues moot: and make a lot of CI's (custom integrators) very happy

LG C9 OLED owner

post #2302 of 2682 Old 10-24-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I read this earlier: the IR repeaters you mentioned can cause issues: this used to happen all the time with plasma and CCFL backlit displays that put out tons of IR noise: the IR repeaters amplify this noise as well: so the signal to noise ratio is low: you can test this by turning off any such displays (at night) and testing the X1 response

I use an IR eye for now on the X1 and it seems to work OK, but response is slow: it is also possible you are overloading the IR receiver by placing the IR emitter directly on it: I can adjust the level of the IR signal and usually run it as low as possible so it works reliably, without overload: you might try moving the IR an inch or two off the eye to see if that works. And if you can adjust delays in between commands, that might help

IP commands would make all these issues moot: and make a lot of CI's (custom integrators) very happy
Thanks for the great info Mark! It was explained to me elsewhere that the X1 uses XMP style IR and many repeater systems don't processing XMP that well. Here's the broader picture for what I'm doing - hoping you may have some suggestions:

- In the theater I'm using a Harmony Ultra. Not my first choice in a remote, but I very much like its Z-wave integration so I can control my LIFX lights and integrate with SmartThings.

- The Harmony transmits RF to its "hub". Emitters attached to the hub then blast IR.

- I had the Harmony hub in the equipment rack in another room, but the remote was complaining often that it couldn't reach the hub and move it closer.

- There was no way to move the hub closer so I located it on top of my projector in the theater. I point one of the emitters from the hub at the projector, and the other one I point at an IR->RF device also sitting on top of the projector (this one https://amzn.com/B00023KG40).

- In the equipment rack I have the RF->IR receiver. This picks up the transmitted IR codes (over RF) and blasts they to the area in front of the equipment rack. All equipment in the rack responds perfectly and the first time to all commands. Except for the X1. That only respondes to maybe 1 or 2 commands out of 10. You can tell by how the green light on the X1 blinks when it receives a command from the remote.

- To improve that further - the RF->IR blaster has a port for a wired IR emitter/blaster. So I ran a cable from that port over to the rack and positioned the emitter right by the "eye" of the IR receiver on the front of the X1 (I am using the rack mounted version of the X1).

- The placement of this emitter was extremely finicky. I was able to test the reception by pressing codes on the remote and watching to see if the green light on the X1 blinked to indicate it received the code. By dong this I found an exact position where the light would turn green with like 30 out of 30 presses of a button on the Harmony remote. I thought for sure this solved it (even moving it as much as 1/16" was the difference between perfect vs shotty reception).

- However when trying to use the Harmony remote with my setup going - meaning projector on and all equipment on, the reception of the IR codes is still quite poor! I'm not sure what's causing it. I have another emitter product I tried hooking up and this flashes when it sees IR codes. And it is flashing quite a bit and flickering all the time in the equipment room even when I am not pressing keys! Apparently the IR->RF device is constantly sending signals or some sort of noise. As soon as I unplug it this other emitter stops flashing - meaning it is no longer seeing the noise. So I can confirm that it is the IR->RF RF->IR adding noise in the equipment room. BUT with the emitter right next to the IR window on the X1 I would think it should still get the IR codes cleanly. FWIW I also notice that every once in a while the X1 misses commands from its own remote when sent in the theater.

Any thoughts on how else I may be able to go about this - even if it involves new hardware and/or software solutions? The issue is very frustrating, as I do not want to have to use two different remotes at the same time like I am doing now. Its so frustrating in fact that I am considering switching to FIOS or DirecTV (where there is actually 4K content!! )...

Thanks!
post #2303 of 2682 Old 10-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

lots of stuff going on here: been down this road: here are two issues to start
  1. putting the IR emitter closer does not improve the S/N ratio: that is coming from the emitter: and it may compound the problem: poor S/N and overload
  2. a third party system like Z wave introduces significant timing response delays: so you may be sending commands while Z wave has not finished processing earlier commands
more later

LG C9 OLED owner

post #2304 of 2682 Old 10-24-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
  1. putting the IR emitter closer does not improve the S/N ratio: that is coming from the emitter: and it may compound the problem: poor S/N and overload
  2. a third party system like Z wave introduces significant timing response delays: so you may be sending commands while Z wave has not finished processing earlier commands
Thanks! If it is accurate to use the green light on the X1 that "blips" each time it receives an IR command as a gauge for how well it is detecting the signal, than I can say with confidence that I put the IR emitter in the perfect place. In this exact spot it is in right now the light blinks green each time I press a button on the Harmony - as accurate as 30 out of 30 (whereas before I was about 7 or 8 out of 10). Moving the emitter just a hair will cause the green light not to light as consistently.

Regarding Z-Wave yes I lots of Z-wave devices including a SmartThings hub in the rack within a foot of the X1 box. If that can cause interference that may explain some of this.

Quote:

more later
Great, thank you! I'd love to hear whatever ideas you may have for solving this, even if it requires a totally new approach and buying more gear.
R4st4 likes this.
post #2305 of 2682 Old 10-26-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well the Netflix app is up and running in the Twin Cities area on all Comcast DVR's. This pretty much ends my Sony BDP-S6500 being a streaming machine since I only used Netflix for streaming on it. Now that Comcast has it no need to stream Netflix on my Blu ray player. We also only stream Pandora music and Comcast has that as well so no point in using my Blu ray player for that. I heard that Hulu is to be added next. Personally I like what I'm seeing from Comcast. I think their HD channel PQ has greatly improved as well as their internet speeds and I like the fact that they are adding new app's to their DVR's. That being said. Just a heads up for everyone on this thread. Netflix is only going to be on their DVR's and not their regular set top boxes, just the DVR's. Will that change? I dont know.
post #2306 of 2682 Old 10-26-2016, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am getting the X1 platform installed on Friday. Does the search function also work with the Netflix app? That would be great if there was just one search function that integrated regular TV, video on demand, Netflix, and eventually Hulu.

Samsung UN75H7150 - 75"
Denon AVR-X4100W
DefTech 8080 Center Chanel; 8060 Towers; 8080 Surrounds
HSU VTF-15H MK2
Xbox One
Directv Genie
post #2307 of 2682 Old 10-26-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
more later
Just a quick update Mark - for some reason my "IR->RF RF->IR emitter -> mounting on front of the X1 IR eye" has been working really well for the past couple of days. I'm not sure what changed. Likely something is causing interference as you said and its a matter of figuring out what.
post #2308 of 2682 Old 10-26-2016, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Well the Netflix app is up and running in the Twin Cities area on all Comcast DVR's. This pretty much ends my Sony BDP-S6500 being a streaming machine since I only used Netflix for streaming on it. Now that Comcast has it no need to stream Netflix on my Blu ray player. We also only stream Pandora music and Comcast has that as well so no point in using my Blu ray player for that. I heard that Hulu is to be added next. Personally I like what I'm seeing from Comcast. I think their HD channel PQ has greatly improved as well as their internet speeds and I like the fact that they are adding new app's to their DVR's. That being said. Just a heads up for everyone on this thread. Netflix is only going to be on their DVR's and not their regular set top boxes, just the DVR's. Will that change? I dont know.
Netflix works on the newest companion boxes. I have a DVR and three companion boxes and I have got Netlflix working on all four.
steve1971 likes this.
post #2309 of 2682 Old 10-26-2016, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam320 View Post
I am getting the X1 platform installed on Friday. Does the search function also work with the Netflix app? That would be great if there was just one search function that integrated regular TV, video on demand, Netflix, and eventually Hulu.

It's well integrated for example looking up Kevin Spacey will show House of Cards as well as any other films available on Xfinity.
steve1971 likes this.

post #2310 of 2682 Old 10-27-2016, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post
Netflix works on the newest companion boxes. I have a DVR and three companion boxes and I have got Netlflix working on all four.

I just found out that to get Netflix on the regular set top boxes you will need the newer ones and that's more then likely what you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page